Travel Clothes

General discussion.
Ariac

Travel Clothes

Post by Ariac » 01 Apr 2010, 09:57

Hey guys, I am going to be going out of country for a bit, and they have placed some pretty tight restrictions of what we are allowed to bring. For example only 3-4 pairs of pants and 3-4 shirts, and one jacket. They also said there will be no laundry facilities available, and we are exspected to wash our cloths in the sink etc. All this combined with fact that we are supposed to look professional at all times ( not wrinkled, stained etc.). I am normally just a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy so can you give any tips on stuff that would fit the bill. I have been thinking Scottevest gear looks good, does anybody have any experience with it? We can bring anything that can fit on us, so those pockets may come in handy. Also they have a 20% off coupon right now (NYT20).

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/polo_shirt.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/ligh ... ants.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/ligh ... cket.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks all
Matt

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Re: Travel Clothes

Post by murphies_finest » 01 Apr 2010, 10:27

I dont see anything wrong with or may I suggest some 14 dollar dickies pants from "the beast" er walmart. Now I will say this I have a pair of black tru-spec pants that i enjoy! only reason for dickies is they stay straight and dont wrinkle and if you are able to pre pack stuff that goes a head bring a bucket and detergent for washing In afragistan we washed alot in the sinks and buckets cuz out COP didnt have any laundry facilities. shirts polo type t's like the kind in your link. bring a fleece jacket and sock cap for when its cold, and a boonie for the sun. hope this helps man.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 02 Apr 2010, 11:31

Yeah I asked, nothing can go ahead so I hope there wont be any trouble getting soap and stuff. I will check out the Dickies and tru-spec gear.

Thanks,
Matt

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 02 Apr 2010, 12:16

oh and baby wipes are a must plenty of underwears and socks!
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

Kerberos

Post by Kerberos » 02 Apr 2010, 13:37

Matt...also check out 5.11 tactical stuff. Their pants are about 75% of the price.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tase.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck :patriot:
"...And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Apr 2010, 14:23

Pack extra stuff but pack TIGHT so it doesn't look that way. For a jacket did they state the type? Get a modular parka style with removable liner, sleeves and hood. No matter how hot it is during the day it can get very cold at night. Remove the liner and sleeves you have a vest.

Create your own small sewing kit.

Pack some powdered laundry det. in double zip locks. When washing by hand even a teaspoon is a LOT so it can go along way.

Pack 5 feet of clothes line. You will need it to hang your clothes.

Dickies makes a khaki work pant and shirt that are tough as nails, wrinkle proof and still look good.

Get every thing the same color yes it's boring but what ever is clean will match.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Kerberos

Post by Kerberos » 02 Apr 2010, 14:27

panzermk2 wrote:Pack 5 feet of clothes line. You will need it to hang your clothes.
On that note, some 550 cord would be good for this function.
"...And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 02 Apr 2010, 17:33

One consideration is to not dress as an "American" also. I know you said its "out of the country"
Not sure what type of work your doing but blending in isn't a bad thing, sometimes.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 02 Apr 2010, 20:36

I agree with Jay on all but the modular parka. Most modular systems are awful. They are drafty at the zipper and don't hold together. I have also heard that Scottevest gear doesn't hold up well at all.

I would buy a good gore tex pac-lite jacket. They are light and thin, but full power water proof and breathable. You can get some pretty cheap ones by REI or OR. Arc'teryx make the best, but they are pricy. If you don't want to pay for Gore, then buy Sierra Designs shell jacket and pants. They will cost you 50 bucks for both together at most, and will keep you dry. Just won't breath well. Then, get a polartec fleece. Again, doesn't have to be uber pricy brand, like Patagonia or Arc'teryx or North Face. Sometimes you can find cheap Denali's on sale. They are WARM. However, a good 500 weight fleece from Walmart will go great under your shell. I would also get a pair of patagonia or 5.11 long underwear with the anti-microbrial fabric. On cold nights, you will love them. Make sure they fit snug, but not overly tight. Loose long underwear are never good.

Other than that, what Jay said :D
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 02 Apr 2010, 22:24

Big flower shirt, camera around neck, they'll be laughin' too hard to notice you forgot your trousers... Have a safe trip.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 02 Apr 2010, 23:08

Thanks guys all this is great, lol I never had worries like this in the Marines. I appreciate all the help, as always this forum rocks.

Matt

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 05 Apr 2010, 07:26

bdu style trousers, polo shirts and a jacket/parka and your set...

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 06 Apr 2010, 10:20

Um... where are you going first of all? What time of year? Altitude? Duration? How presentable do you have to be?

I spend a lot of time in the Middle East, and have been packing for it for the past 7 years...