Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

gr8ful70x7
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 22:55

Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by gr8ful70x7 » 14 Mar 2010, 23:25

I'd appreciate any tips & help in planning my new purchase.

So far it appears best I get a new OD green 5-7 with adjustable sites. Then I ship that to EA to have the trigger honed and polished and defeat the magazine safety. PLUS, while it is there have EA install night sites.

I am not certain which light/laser site system to mount on it and, indeed, that can come later. Nonetheless, your tips are appreciated. Perhaps something from Surefire?

I just can't fathom how close that is going to be to $2,000! Any ideas on how to keep my costs manageable shall be appreciated!

Thank you,

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10665
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by blueorison » 14 Mar 2010, 23:36

All of the above are good gear to get for your FsN. Looks like you did your research, great job :)

Get the night sights from EA (You'll have to get the adjustable OD green, just like you said). Surefire is good to put on your FsN, some look at the alternate, the Viridian X5L. This seems like an overpriced tool to me, but I've used them and they work very well as advertised. Also, their customer service is quite good (a friend send a faulty unit back with no hassle).

If you are using the FsN for home defense, I'd get a light for it. There are many good options for lights, as many are 90+ Lumen's these days, from different companies. If you just want a laser, Lasermax works great for FsN's. Green is better in daylight. If you want a combo, that's what the Viridian is for.

You will inevitably put 2000$ or more into this pistol, so you're SOL on that point :D

Welcome to the club, and the forum.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Captan Harold D
Junior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: 16 Apr 2009, 05:52
Location: Florida's West Coast

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by Captan Harold D » 15 Mar 2010, 07:16

You might want to consider the TLR-2 light/lazer combo.
If wishes were horses, hobos would ride!

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11880
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by panzermk2 » 15 Mar 2010, 19:36

CAA Tactical Laser & Flashlight works great for me. I had it on during the last round of EA ammunition testing.



Image
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

I8asquirrel
Junior Member
Posts: 138
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 17:53
Location: Oregon

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by I8asquirrel » 15 Mar 2010, 19:49

your on the right path,,$1000 +/- for weapon sky is the limit on lights and lasers, I would skip defeating magazine safety and spend money buying a few hundered rounds of practice ammo. You may find you dont need a trigger job after that and you'll have plenty of brass to load and some actual wear marks to see what needs to be honed..........Just a thought..eitherway your gonna love it. I and all my buddies who have them think we made a great choice!

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12734
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: Kennewick, WA

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by Rapier1772 » 15 Mar 2010, 20:07

I8asquirrel wrote:you're on the right path, $1000 +/- for weapon, sky is the limit on lights and lasers. I would skip defeating magazine safety and spend money buying a few hundred rounds of practice ammo. You may find you don't need a trigger job after that and you'll have plenty of brass to load and some actual wear marks to see what needs to be honed..........Just a thought. Either way you're gonna love it. I and all my buddies who have them think we made a great choice!
I had a few hundred rounds through mine before I sent in for the Accurizing - trust me, the trigger job & mag safety removal had a very noticeable improvement.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

I8asquirrel
Junior Member
Posts: 138
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 17:53
Location: Oregon

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by I8asquirrel » 16 Mar 2010, 16:50

I am lucky my trigger is pretty good, I'm just saying its not always a good idea to try and fix things that aren't broken. alot of folks try to make up for practice time at the range with elabrate sight systems and tacticool gear when trigger time is probably a better choice....Now don't get me wrong I like cool toys but I understand that more often than not I should shoot more. ? why disconect the Mag safety? I sorta thought they are a good idea?

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10665
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by blueorison » 16 Mar 2010, 17:18

I8asquirrel wrote:I am lucky my trigger is pretty good, I'm just saying its not always a good idea to try and fix things that aren't broken. alot of folks try to make up for practice time at the range with elabrate sight systems and tacticool gear when trigger time is probably a better choice....Now don't get me wrong I like cool toys but I understand that more often than not I should shoot more. ? why disconect the Mag safety? I sorta thought they are a good idea?
Everyone trains differently and shoots differently, that's the beauty of the FsN; it has brought us together! Yayyy :cya:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12734
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: Kennewick, WA

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Mar 2010, 19:41

I8asquirrel wrote:why disconect the Mag safety? I sorta thought they are a good idea?
I don't understand why people think they are good. I hate the blasted thing. Just let me decock my gun when & how I want cuz I already put all my mags away (happens every time). Trigger improvement is just an added bonus.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

I8asquirrel
Junior Member
Posts: 138
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 17:53
Location: Oregon

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by I8asquirrel » 16 Mar 2010, 22:51

Rapier1772 wrote:
I8asquirrel wrote:why disconect the Mag safety? I sorta thought they are a good idea?
I don't understand why people think they are good. I hate the blasted thing. Just let me decock my gun when & how I want cuz I already put all my mags away (happens every time). Trigger improvement is just an added bonus.
I see, well my Fn57 is my preffered carry gun.(light and goes bang a bunch) so I always carry it in battery... thanks for the intell. :guns:

Hebs
Junior Member
Posts: 90
Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 10:27
Location: South Carolina

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by Hebs » 17 Mar 2010, 03:59

Rapier1772 wrote:I don't understand why people think they are good. I hate the blasted thing. Just let me decock my gun when & how I want cuz I already put all my mags away (happens every time). Trigger improvement is just an added bonus.
I guess it's the Marine in me... but I like to consider every situation, and having the added luxury of someone not being able to shoot the gun if I eject the Magazine and toss it, is an added bonus to me.

To each their own however...

gr8ful70x7
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 22:55

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by gr8ful70x7 » 17 Mar 2010, 16:09

Hebs wrote:
Rapier1772 wrote:I don't understand why people think they are good. I hate the blasted thing. Just let me decock my gun when & how I want cuz I already put all my mags away (happens every time). Trigger improvement is just an added bonus.
I guess it's the Marine in me... but I like to consider every situation, and having the added luxury of someone not being able to shoot the gun if I eject the Magazine and toss it, is an added bonus to me.

To each their own however...

This is an idea I had not considered!

I was thinking along the lines of having a chambered round at the ready to fire while reloading.

gr8ful70x7
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 22:55

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by gr8ful70x7 » 17 Mar 2010, 16:20

Thank Ya'll. Today, I placed my call and tomorrow I should have my quote and my FN ordered. My dealer is calling tomorrow (State's side supply houses closed before I called him.) and he is checking on a model number 38689292-40 for me. This is an OD green with adjustable sites.

Can anyone confirm this model number???

I got that number from a rep at FNH but his info about ammo seemed a little conflicted to me.

BTW, getting special ammo up here IS problematic. My dealer says they order a pallet of ammo each time and it costs them the same $80 whether it is one box or 400 cases. Natually he orders large.

We, in Alaska, are stocking up. Each time BO opens his mouth my dealer says his sales go up. Last November he was quoted in the Anchorage Daily News as "laughing all the way to the bank."

However,a lot of us up didn't think it was so funny. Our warehouse sized stores were wiped out. Huge ammounts of ammo were gone, bought by the case. All that was left was some odd .25 calibre handgun ammo (can't recall exactly) or something like that on the shelf and only two boxes of it! And only a few of the more expensive handguns in limited calibres were available.

gr8ful70x7
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 22:55

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by gr8ful70x7 » 17 Mar 2010, 16:22

QUESTION:

Should I put a few rounds through it before I send it to EA for tuning?

And, how many rounds should I put through it?

This is an ideal opportunity and I want to do it the best way possible.

Therefore, I am relying upon your (forum members') expertise and advice.

And, I thank in advance . . .

gr8ful70x7
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 22:55

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by gr8ful70x7 » 17 Mar 2010, 16:33

I see that EA offers contributing forum members preferred prices. Can anyone tell me the cost/benefit ratio in $'s comparing the cost of joining and what I might save on a tune up and conversion to night sites?

gr8ful70x7
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 22:55

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by gr8ful70x7 » 17 Mar 2010, 16:53

blueorison wrote:All of the above are good gear to get for your FsN. Looks like you did your research, great job :)

Get the night sights from EA (You'll have to get the adjustable OD green, just like you said). Surefire is good to put on your FsN, some look at the alternate, the Viridian X5L. This seems like an overpriced tool to me, but I've used them and they work very well as advertised. Also, their customer service is quite good (a friend send a faulty unit back with no hassle).

If you are using the FsN for home defense, I'd get a light for it. There are many good options for lights, as many are 90+ Lumen's these days, from different companies. If you just want a laser, Lasermax works great for FsN's. Green is better in daylight. If you want a combo, that's what the Viridian is for.

You will inevitably put 2000$ or more into this pistol, so you're SOL on that point :D

Welcome to the club, and the forum.
Viridian has two X5L models. One is USP and I really can't tell the difference between them. Does one fit the FN better?

gr8ful70x7
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 22:55

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by gr8ful70x7 » 17 Mar 2010, 17:30

OK, price is in but only the model ending ~42 with C-more systems combat night sights (non-adjustable) are in stock. Cost the same as the model with adjustable sights. I figure it best to wait, however, maybe I should have asked about FDE? I actually like that color best but was trying to go with the rarer of the colors.

At this time, we are waiting for the models ending in ~40 for adjustable sights.

fd57
Senior Member
Posts: 772
Joined: 29 Jan 2010, 14:13

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by fd57 » 17 Mar 2010, 18:32

Any specific reason you're waiting for adjustable sights?

Having fired both I much prefer fixed night sights. FN is putting them on the 5.7 now (some percentage of them).

Just curious!

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12734
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: Kennewick, WA

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by Rapier1772 » 17 Mar 2010, 18:56

The different ammunition for this caliber has different points of impact. Depending on what range you want to sight for, you might want to actually zero for what you are carrying
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

gr8ful70x7
Junior Member
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 22:55

Re: Help in Planning 5-7 Purchase

Post by gr8ful70x7 » 17 Mar 2010, 22:51

Considering the trajectory characteristics and the variety of rounds, I am thinking along the lines of accuracy. It might be nice to hit small game accurately and it all comes down to placement with smaller calibres.

What are FN's fixed night sights like? Color?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests