Recycling misc. brass

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
stg2ahn

Recycling misc. brass

Post by stg2ahn » 06 Sep 2009, 11:33

I don't reload, but I am currently collecting all my brass when I go to the range.

My question is, is it worth saving misc brass? How much does it fetch?

Is it also worth saving .22lr brass, or should I trash it?

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Re: Recycling misc. brass

Post by MrSlippyFist » 06 Sep 2009, 11:43

Depends on the brass. If you can save up enough of all the common or very rare calibers, clean it up, someone will buy it.

Only save the .22lr brass if you plan on making your own projectiles with it. Otherwise it's useless.
Embrace the Suck

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 06 Sep 2009, 11:55

You may not even have to clean it up for someone to buy it :laugh: I'd check gunbroker for prices. I think its only worth it if you have a lot of brass that you can pick up

For general recycling efforts, most of the places near Des Moines wouldn't take brass if it had a primer in it. For centerfires, you (or someone you know) can knock the primer out but rimfires are not worth the effort - unless of course, you can find a place that will take them.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

EmptyBrass

Post by EmptyBrass » 06 Sep 2009, 14:47

Rapier1772 wrote:You may not even have to clean it up for someone to buy it :laugh: I'd check gunbroker for prices. I think its only worth it if you have a lot of brass that you can pick up

For general recycling efforts, most of the places near Des Moines wouldn't take brass if it had a primer in it. For centerfires, you (or someone you know) can knock the primer out but rimfires are not worth the effort - unless of course, you can find a place that will take them.

its the same around here. The primer has to be knocked out. I'd bag it up and sell it on gunbroker as once fired. sell it by the hundred piece.

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 06 Sep 2009, 15:30

If for some weird reason they require you to decap them, there are universal decapping dies that work fairly well.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 06 Sep 2009, 15:33

Wollychop wrote:If for some weird reason they require you to decap them, there are universal decapping dies that work fairly well.
+1
Embrace the Suck