would these be good?

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

fzr confused

would these be good?

Post by fzr confused » 28 Dec 2008, 21:05

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=589840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and also
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=181006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i am looking for use in my AR but then thought maybe they would work for both the AR and the 57? 55gr is a bit more than i would like for the 57 though....i also have a bunch of the 40gr vmax for the 57, just wondering if this would work well for both.

tejohnson
custom title: a nobody

Re: would these be good?

Post by tejohnson » 28 Dec 2008, 21:17

I wouldn't see why not. Are you looking to load some subsonic ammo, or where you looking for something in the middle for your AR and 5.7?

The FMJBT is what I am looking at for my subsonics. I already have a few packs of Hornady 55gn Spire points and V-Max. I have been curious about boat tail (or not) for subsonics, or if it even matters.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 28 Dec 2008, 21:18

They should be fine. The FMJ is similar to what EA uses in their penetrators. The spire point will have more expansion. They key is whether you can get enough velocity out of them for it to be worth it...

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 28 Dec 2008, 21:21

well EA uses a 53gr FMJ right? is 2gr really that much different? i am getting them mostly for the AR, since i use it a LOT more than the 57 (and always will), just wasnt sure if it was able to be used for both.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 28 Dec 2008, 21:31

the one's I got were 55gr i believe, im sure they'd use 53 if you specified what u wanted.

..and yes, 2 grains can make a difference in some cases. Refer to this thread where we found a significant difference between 55gr FMJ and a 53gr Matchking FB Jacketed HP viewtopic.php?f=19&t=834&p=29305&hilit=hs6+55#p29305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 28 Dec 2008, 22:06

55gr
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 29 Dec 2008, 06:32

i know i wont be able to get them as good as EA, but since they use a 55gr FMJ and get enough velocity out of it, i should be able to as well, right? i know i dont have all the trade secrets and it takes a good bit of reading and testing to get a perfect load like EA, but this is just to plink with and just good ole extra ammo ;).....also, i have another question. since FN sent me a bunch of ss195's for my troubles, i can just pull the bullets and replace the primers and also make it not so anemic, right? i more than likely wont shoot through all of the 195's before the primers go bad :(...they also sent me some 197's, but i dont need to replace the primers, but i wouldnt mind making them perform a bit better too :guns:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Dec 2008, 21:29

We at Elite do not recommend knocking out live primers, EVER. We take extreme precautions when doing it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 30 Dec 2008, 06:37

i can see where that might not be the best thing to do for a rookie, lol....would EA be willing to turn my slow poke 195's into something better??? :clap: ...i know you all do customer supplied brass, but what about the entire bullet? i got about 500 that i would be wanting to swap out, the others i will just plink off the next time or two at the range.

as far as the 197's could i just pull the bullet and swap out the powder and then put it back on? or is that not safe too? i know the 197's are a bit slow :furious: wouldnt mind having it go a few hundred fps faster :evil:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Dec 2008, 18:36

We have but at the moment things are to crazy. In the past we have but have to charge the VIRGIN price. Virgin costs more mostly because of the labor involved in pull down. I said yes to the customer supplied brass price when they sent in ammo. Afterwords a very upset Lisa pointed out we lost money on the deal.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 30 Dec 2008, 18:45

well if that is the case i might as well just buy then directly from you and blast through these as fast as i can :D and i have a bunch of 1x brass waiting to be sent in :thumb:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Dec 2008, 18:56

Better idea, and some one said you were confused :ponder:
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 30 Dec 2008, 19:36

what were we talking about again????? :p

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 11 Jan 2009, 11:58

panzermk2 wrote:We at Elite do not recommend knocking out live primers, EVER. We take extreme precautions when doing it.
i was just wondering, if you pulled the projectile and dumped the powder, how unsafe is popping out a live primer? i am not arguing with you, just trying to understand :). i thought there was only a small explosion so to speak, just enough to ignite the powder??? would you mind giving some ideas on how to knock out a live primer?

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 11 Jan 2009, 12:22

the "small explosion" can destroy your die, and put a hole in your ceiling (or you, for that matter), put out an eye...etc. If you use Lee dies or something similar, the decapping rod can be sent flying....very dangerous. I've decapped live primers before....none of them exploded, but I consider myself lucky. I bought a cheap universal decapping die so that if one of them went off, it wouldnt ruin my 5.7x28 die.

If you spray some WD40 into the case and let it sit overnight, the primers may be rendered inert.....again they MAY be rendered inert.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Jan 2009, 21:51

What Grant said. For us though we have to take a chance.

FYI people have been killed by rubber bullets fired by nothing more then primers. I for giggles years ago pulled a British 303 round down. Dumped out the powder. Squeezed by HAND a ball bearing into the LARGE plenty of room to expand and use up energy case. Went to shoot my body shop manager in the ass for the fun of it. He started on about blah blah blah It could hurt. I said BULLSHIT and shot the wall next to him. The bearing did a through and through on a load bearing wall traveled 2 more feet and went through the wood fence around the shop.

After that I stopped trying to shoot him with only primers.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 11 Jan 2009, 22:01

those aguila super colibri (.22lr) subsonics have no gunpowder, only rimfire primer as the propellent.
the Aguila round has a 20 grain bullet going 500fps.

It was enough for me to whack birds, squirrels and other rodents.
Enough to shoot thru a beer bottle without breaking it.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 12 Jan 2009, 09:04

You should get one of those Lee Challenger presses for decapping. Its got a drop tube for the decapped primers to fall into. You can either cap it off or guide the tube into a safer container...

I have one, the primer catcher works great as long as you leave the priming arm in the press. ...And if it blows up, its only like $40-50 to replace the whole thing.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 12 Jan 2009, 10:37

i didnt realize they were that powerful, glad i didnt attempt it first :huh: