Muzzleloader advice

General discussion.
Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Muzzleloader advice

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 23 Aug 2013, 15:47

Somehow I have stumbled into an invitation to hunt on private land during muzzleloader season. What inexpensive muzzle loading rifle would you recommend? Thanks!
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

grimmond
Gold Member

Re: Muzzleloader advice

Post by grimmond » 24 Aug 2013, 19:13

It depends on what kind of features you want it to have and if you plan on doing it again. CVA tends to be on the cheaper priced side but are still decent. Personally I would say to go and check out pawn shops for used ones before you spend on a new one. I started with a used Thompson Center 54 cal Hawkins. I liked it so much I went out and found a 50 cal Remington 700ml inline. 90% of all my large game hunting is done with it.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 24 Aug 2013, 22:48

Honestly I would just bite bullet and by an Encore Pro Hunter. They really shoot extremely well. Worth the money, and they hold their resale pretty well too.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 24 Aug 2013, 23:12

Try out Red Jacket. Most folks don't know just how hardcore Will is about black powder.

http://www.redjacketmuzzleloading.com/site/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 25 Aug 2013, 07:27

Thanks. I appreciate the comments. T/C used to make a black powder barrel for the Contender, but, it has long been discontinued. I have shot a Contender in various calibers for thirty years or so. Purchasing an Encore would be the best option, albeit too expensive. A purchase at wallyworld is looming large. The used rifles that I have inspected haven't been good.

Now starts the usual quest for recommended bullet weights, type and loadings as well as information about care of the rifle. Good fun! All help will be appreciated.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 25 Aug 2013, 08:49

Oldbindlestiff wrote:Thanks. I appreciate the comments. T/C used to make a black powder barrel for the Contender, but, it has long been discontinued. I have shot a Contender in various calibers for thirty years or so. Purchasing an Encore would be the best option, albeit too expensive. A purchase at wallyworld is looming large. The used rifles that I have inspected haven't been good.

Now starts the usual quest for recommended bullet weights, type and loadings as well as information about care of the rifle. Good fun! All help will be appreciated.
What Animal will you be hunting? Also as for bullet type and loadings I have found that every rifle has its own quirks.
My Remington .50ML likes 150gr Pyrodex pushing a 285gr Spit-Fire MZ where as my Thompson/Center Impact .50 likes 100gr Triple 7 pushing a 250gr Traditions Smackdown bullet. I have tried both in each one and they act differently when switched. I use the 285gr Spit-Fire MZ for elk and the 250gr Smackdown for deer. Depending on the amount of time you have before you go buy 2 or 3 rounds of various styles you like and then work up the load till you find the optimum accuracy/powder level. Good luck. Once I started muzzle loading I sold my 338 and 30-06 because I found I enjoyed the hunt better.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 25 Aug 2013, 09:53

Hunting whitetail deer at typical woods hunting distance. Simpler is better as I age. My Rem 700 sits unused since I switched to a Marlin .35 Rem for its efficiency, weight and lower recoil. Trial and error has always worked in the past. I was shocked at the cost of projectiles for in-line muzzleloaders. Is experimenting with sabots and lead/jacket projectiles worth the effort?

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 25 Aug 2013, 15:33

Here is a link for a good pack that includes both practice rounds and hunting rounds that I used. You can always order more of just the plinker rounds which is almost half as much in cost. https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/prod ... combo-pack When I work up a load I will load up 5 each starting at 80 and going up in 10gr increments using various combinations of 50gr and 30gr pellets. I personally like these rounds with 100gr of Triple seven. Out of my Rem 700ml I can keep it in a 5" ring at 300 yards.
-Ronald Reagan

huddleston101

Post by huddleston101 » 25 Aug 2013, 16:47

grimmond wrote:It depends on what kind of features you want it to have and if you plan on doing it again. CVA tends to be on the cheaper priced side but are still decent. Personally I would say to go and check out pawn shops for used ones before you spend on a new one. I started with a used Thompson Center 54 cal Hawkins. I liked it so much I went out and found a 50 cal Remington 700ml inline. 90% of all my large game hunting is done with it.
:agree: CVA tends to be on the cheaper priced side but are still decent :thumb:
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson