Molded frame drooping

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
Young Guns

Molded frame drooping

Post by Young Guns » 29 Apr 2011, 09:46

this has kinda been addressed in other places, but after looking at mine again today i wanted some of your opinions on this. i know that FN has said that this is normal for the pistols, but is the gap between the slide and frame on mine look excessive to you? it gets pretty bad at the end of the slide....

if everyone else's tac looks the same then i won't worry about it, but if mine is a lot worse then i guess i will regretfully call Bob and talk to him about it.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 10:11

It is the only reason I haven't bought a tactical. I talked to Bob Ailes about it and he came off like some droop is normal but it shouldn't be noticeable to most people. To me I haven't seen one that isn't noticeable. He said if I get one and it is noticeable to give him a call. I haven't bought one though.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2011, 10:31

Hunh.
I hadn't heard of it, or, at least, I guess I hadn't read those threads.
Wow. And here I was drooling over them wanting one so bad, but if this is considered 'common'...
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 29 Apr 2011, 12:54

My FNP certainly didn't have that issue

http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 13:20

When you push down on the slide, how much vertical play do you get?

The spacing isn't really as important as the above. Don't buy into the comical "tight fit and finish" thought process. Just because you can see a space in between the slide and frame doesn't always mean anything.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 29 Apr 2011, 15:20

Mine had very little play in it. Hell, it didn't even rattle when you had a full mag in it.

I wonder if it has something to do with the tan polymer they're using? Any word if the black tacs suffer the same drooping?
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 29 Apr 2011, 15:46

fooschnickens wrote:Mine had very little play in it. Hell, it didn't even rattle when you had a full mag in it.

I wonder if it has something to do with the tan polymer they're using? Any word if the black tacs suffer the same drooping?
Get outta my head

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 29 Apr 2011, 16:13

blueorison wrote:When you push down on the slide, how much vertical play do you get?

The spacing isn't really as important as the above. Don't buy into the comical "tight fit and finish" thought process. Just because you can see a space in between the slide and frame doesn't always mean anything.
the thing is though, i'm real anal about my guns and am actually one of those comical "tight fit and finish" guy. to me personally, if it is tight and well finished, it seems like more of a higher quality product to me. don't get me wrong, i'm a HUGE FN fan boy, and i KNOW they produce quality products, but this does bother me.

it definitely has some play in it when i push/pull down on the end of the frame. :(

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 16:53

If it bothers you, show your pictures to FN and see what they say. They might have you send it back in. It's your money, so make sure you are 100% satisfied with it, right? :)

If it were me I'd just go shoot and not worry about it. I hardly stare at my guns when I'm hitting the bad guy, I'm too busy reloading. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 21:48

fooschnickens wrote:Mine had very little play in it. Hell, it didn't even rattle when you had a full mag in it.

I have only noticed it on the tan tacticals, because, well, I haven't seen a black one in person. However, there was an FNP-45 in my local store that had noticeable drooping as well, and it was black. I haven't noticed it in FNX's nor in the FNP-9s and 40s.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 03 May 2011, 12:36

Odd. Maybe it's a recent development in production runs?
-Ambrose Bierce

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 May 2011, 12:44

I don't see any "droop". Droop means something different and refers to warped materials.

I'm almost sure it's a non-issue. Young Guns, I will send you a free FN gift if your gun doesn't shoot like an FN should.

Seriously, guys, I understand you paid a large amount for these pistols, but please go shoot them and stop worrying about inconsequential things on which you psych out yourself.

If I thought there was something wrong with your pistols, I would not have made the above statement, Young Guns. I want you to know that I think QC is very important and so is CS.

I've shot the FN TAC platform at a match before, and I'll go pull video out to see if I can ascertain if it had the same play, though it's doubtful that I will be able to quantify such a small aspect of the pistol on video.

Do you have an update as to what FN replied when you called them? :)
Shoot more, worry less.

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 03 May 2011, 14:50

blueorison wrote:I don't see any "droop". Droop means something different and refers to warped materials.

I'm almost sure it's a non-issue. Young Guns, I will send you a free FN gift if your gun doesn't shoot like an FN should.

Seriously, guys, I understand you paid a large amount for these pistols, but please go shoot them and stop worrying about inconsequential things on which you psych out yourself.

If I thought there was something wrong with your pistols, I would not have made the above statement, Young Guns. I want you to know that I think QC is very important and so is CS.

I've shot the FN TAC platform at a match before, and I'll go pull video out to see if I can ascertain if it had the same play, though it's doubtful that I will be able to quantify such a small aspect of the pistol on video.

Droop was probably a bad choice of words. I couldn't think of any one word to describe how the frame seems to curve downward a bit at the end.

I know it is all mind games I am playing with myself and can't wait to shoot it. I know that as soon as I do I will completely forget about it. I called up my buddy who sold it to me and asked him about it. He promptly told me to quit being a p*$$y about it and just shoot it and enjoy it.

I have not called FN about it. Someone else on the other forum sent theirs in because of it and I'm curious to see what happens when he gets his back...

I'm just freakin' ready to shoot it already...

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 03 May 2011, 16:31

Hmm I have gap by the guide rod, but not as much as you do under the frame:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 May 2011, 18:06

Young Guns wrote:
blueorison wrote:I don't see any "droop". Droop means something different and refers to warped materials.

Droop was probably a bad choice of words. I couldn't think of any one word to describe how the frame seems to curve downward a bit at the end.

I know it is all mind games I am playing with myself and can't wait to shoot it. I know that as soon as I do I will completely forget about it. I called up my buddy who sold it to me and asked him about it. He promptly told me to quit being a p*$$y about it and just shoot it and enjoy it.

I have not called FN about it. Someone else on the other forum sent theirs in because of it and I'm curious to see what happens when he gets his back...

I'm just freakin' ready to shoot it already...
See... because we're on the forum and I don't know you personally, I can't say that to you... :lmao:
Shoot more, worry less.

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 08 May 2011, 07:37

I don't own an FNP or FNX, but I have observed that in other plastic framed pistol including glocks. Most plastic-framed guns will have some play in that area. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

If it really bothers you, get a steel frame gun :D

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 16 May 2011, 15:05

well, went and shot it and i forgot all about this little issue. went to an outdoor range and was doing some shooting with the FS2K also. the only thing to shoot were steel targets at 100 yards. i was using that crap TULAMO, (all i could get on short notice, D'OH!) and even with that i was hitting the steel about 50% of the time. i was pretty pleased for it being my fist outing with it. not to mention the oklahoma wind and turd ammo. damn sexy gun too!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 May 2011, 15:28

Glad that you went out and shot it.

Too many times we worry needlessly. Not that the slack was a needless worry :)

I'm heading up to Oklahoma tomorrow night, coincidentally.

By the way, people might call Tula crap ammunition, but I fancy it better than Wolf. I get 1 MOA at 100 yds with Tula. It's an interesting outlier on the crap-ammo chart.
Shoot more, worry less.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 16 May 2011, 15:53

FYI, my FNP-45t has a slight gap as well. I never noticed it until reading this thread. I don't really care about it because it's just cosmetic and as long as it hits what I'm aiming at... that's all that really matters to me.

And it DOES hit what I am aiming at!
Last edited by jgreenberg01 on 16 May 2011, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 May 2011, 16:07

And you could have saved us all the trouble, Greenberg. :lmao:
Shoot more, worry less.

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 16 May 2011, 16:56

blueorison wrote:
I'm heading up to Oklahoma tomorrow night, coincidentally.
well let me welcome you to this great state. oh, and you can leave your longhorn apparel down there.... :p

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 May 2011, 17:27

Young guns, what's your opinion on the recoil of the FN TAC vs 1911's?

I don't need to wear UT jerseys as the A&M guys wear theirs, etc. I let my shooting speak for itself.

And I'm too busy wearing my awesome EA tee!!! :)
Shoot more, worry less.

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 16 May 2011, 18:48

blueorison wrote:Young guns, what's your opinion on the recoil of the FN TAC vs 1911's?

I don't need to wear UT jerseys as the A&M guys wear theirs, etc. I let my shooting speak for itself.

And I'm too busy wearing my awesome EA tee!!! :)
I haven't shot too many 1911's. A Para LDA and a Kimber Raptor. The FNP TAC felt way better to me. Plus the recoil is the lowest of any .45 I have ever shot. I am very biased though, I LOVE FN. Hated the Para. The Kimber was sweet though....

So you are coming up here for some shooting? Good luck man! Hope you do well.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 May 2011, 22:45

That's very quaint to hear.

I wanted to hear your opinion, because that's exactly how I feel, and how many others feel about the FN TAC; that it is the softest shooting .45 they've ever used.

Wonderful.

I'm headed to TN from OK.
Shoot more, worry less.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 17 May 2011, 05:21

Could have let me know you were coming home first.
I thought you were heading east straight from Texas.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 May 2011, 05:53

Cyberfly wrote:Could have let me know you were coming home first.
I thought you were heading east straight from Texas.
Me three, I just found out today. Oh, don't worry, you won't get out of us hanging out so easily. I'll be up there in the Summer to visit. :p
Shoot more, worry less.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 17 May 2011, 10:43

I've shot my friend's 4" Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II, and my FNP-45 Tac has less felt recoil.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 23 May 2011, 21:58

My FNP45T has that same gap, and it doesn't rattle or feel loose or anything like that; it's just cosmetic I think. Comparing the FNP45T to my Kimber Custom II TLE/RL 5", in my opinion the FNP45T has less felt recoil on the shooter, and everyone I let shoot the two at the gun club all said the same thing, and that the FNP45 was the softest shooting .45 they have ever fired.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 16 Jun 2011, 07:10

Mine isnt a tactical, just a reg run of the mill black slide/fde frame fnp45 and it has a slightly larger gap towards the muzzle of the pistol. I have never noticed until this thread. Thanks, now I will see it every time I look at the thing :laugh:

soap_box

Post by soap_box » 17 Jun 2011, 09:59

The softest shooting .45 i own is a H&K Mark23, but that thing is huge, but my FN Tac45 is a close second. My STI Tactical is the most accurate and my Sig 220 w/ hogue grips is the most comfortable. Too bad I can't have all these guns in one package.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 17 Jul 2011, 19:40

If you could it would be the world's greatest franken-heckler-fabri-sti-sig EVER.

But seriously it wouldn't work, but would be neat. :laugh:

FNtacticalNUT
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 05 Dec 2011, 19:59

O.K
I have a stainless/black .45 tactical and a FDE .45 tactical. And yes there is a difference in the tolerence from the slide to the frames in both pistols. I have found it is due to the polymer being of another color. Polymer is more tolerent in the form of black when manufactured. But when you form it in a light color it allows the tolerences to grow. I am not a chemist but I do know that is the cause.
It is ok because it does not bother the function of the pistol at all.
But it does bother me since I own both and one is closer than the next.
But hands down it is the best .45 tactical on the market and maybe the best .45 period.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 05 Dec 2011, 22:55

It is the best .45 plastic fantastic I've ever shot.

As for steel 1911-style .45's, the good ones are too close to call and it comes down to preference.

There are not as many top-of-the-line plastic .45's, though.

FNTacticalNut, check your PM.
Shoot more, worry less.

sib1948

Post by sib1948 » 30 Dec 2011, 04:01

Got an FNP 45 T for Christmas and added Trigicon RMR 06. Extremely accurate with light recoil. It's really a beast, but definitely my favorite after my FiveSeveN. FN really did their homework when they designed this pistol. I think they have set a new standard for 45 cal polymer pistols. Great fun at the range with both weapons and let others shot them. Most are very impressed with both. :D

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 30 Dec 2011, 10:14

sib1948 wrote:Got an FNP 45 T for Christmas and added Trigicon RMR 06. Extremely accurate with light recoil. It's really a beast, but definitely my favorite after my FiveSeveN. FN really did their homework when they designed this pistol. I think they have set a new standard for 45 cal polymer pistols. Great fun at the range with both weapons and let others shot them. Most are very impressed with both. :D

congrats. i'm still saving for my RMR....

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 30 Dec 2011, 21:48

You can change the felt recoil on a 1911 by changing recoil and main springs. Not sure about a FN 45. I'd like to know how it will function in a hundred years. I have a FN 45 Tac, i don't realize the recoil due to the pain from the pointy grips.

africa1

Post by africa1 » 28 Jan 2012, 20:07

I just picked up my brand new black 45-tactical and it has a gap at the muzzle. I can push on the polymer and close the gap. But who cares. It is the way it is.....Maybe like the AK-47, built a little loose to make it operational in sand, mud, etc. on the battlefield, or in my case, the back 40.

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 03 Mar 2012, 15:03

My FDE tactical also has the forward droop. My friend's black one does not. Mine was made just a few months ago. Dec 2011.