Got the FNP tactical out for a spin finally.

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
stevelkinevil

Got the FNP tactical out for a spin finally.

Post by stevelkinevil » 14 Oct 2011, 14:08

Good and bad,
Good: seemed quite accurate, very manageable recoil for a 45, loved having 16 rounds at my disposal before reloading, felt like a rock star at the range as everyone wanted to check it out.

Bad: I confirmed what has been being said on the FN forum that it does not like Winchester white box (which sucks cause its the cheapest) according to the good folks over there it will function flawlessly with any SD ammo, fed, s&b, reloads, even wolf and tula, just not WWB. I had 6 FTFs out of 250, strangely enough almost all in the final 50 rounds. For whatever reason the 15 round mags just dont like em. From what I have been told and confirmed with a mic is that WWB is out of spec long and that is the issue. Still I feel it should fire any factory ammo I choose. I also need to get used to the high sights as picking them up was a bit awkward at first.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: Got the FNP tactical out for a spin finally.

Post by f3rr37 » 14 Oct 2011, 15:34

Hadn't thought about this before... what is the velocity compared to similar weight ammo? You might be able to get away with just running them up a seating die to bring them back down to spec length. Might want to do it in small amounts to watch for pressure signs before seating them to spec depth.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 14 Oct 2011, 15:53

If you have a seating die, you should be reloading anyway.

stevelkinevil

Post by stevelkinevil » 14 Oct 2011, 20:25

yea a reloading station is on my list, that and a MRD and light, oh and a holster. yeah no freakin way im getting all that for christmas. The way things are goin ill be lucky to get one.

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 14 Oct 2011, 23:32

I have only shot about 50 rounds of WWB through mine and haven't had any issues. I usually run the cheap Federal through mine. I have yet to have any issues with feeding other than when my wife and sister shot it they had issues with limp wristing it...

stevelkinevil

Post by stevelkinevil » 15 Oct 2011, 15:18

Young Guns wrote:I have only shot about 50 rounds of WWB through mine and haven't had any issues. I usually run the cheap Federal through mine. I have yet to have any issues with feeding other than when my wife and sister shot it they had issues with limp wristing it...
My first 100-150 went smooth as well, didnt start till after that. Apparently FN has been telling people not to use WWB as well. Guess I will just fork out the extra money for Federal next time.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 15 Oct 2011, 17:18

Federal Champion and or Blazer Brass around here is cheaper than WWB

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 15 Oct 2011, 20:30

As far as I can tell, WWB's problem is that the FNP magazines are very finicky about the length of the ammo, and WWB runs on the long side of .45. Using flat nose or any HP bullet alleviates this problem, the problem is in the magazine which causes rounds FTF, not in the action of the gun itself.

I have shot many many boxes of WWB through my FNP-45T with no issues, and then once in a while the mag will hang-up rounds.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 19 Oct 2011, 08:33

That's really odd that people are having COAL issues. I ran all types of ammo through my FNP with nary a hiccup. I even went through two 250rd bags o' boolits from cheaperthandirt (I think one was BVAC and the other was federal) with the only problem I had was that a round of .40 got snuck in there somehow. I'm fairly certain there was some winchester white box mixed in there as well because I bought a lot of my ammo from wal-mart before I went to online retailers.

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 20 Oct 2011, 05:08

f3rr37 wrote:Hadn't thought about this before... what is the velocity compared to similar weight ammo? You might be able to get away with just running them up a seating die to bring them back down to spec length. Might want to do it in small amounts to watch for pressure signs before seating them to spec depth.
I re-sized a few hundred rounds of WWB and shot them out of my FNP-45. The all functioned fine and no blown primers or anything. The standard WWB is not a hot load to start with, so seating them back a bit seemed fine in my experience.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 20 Oct 2011, 05:10

fooschnickens wrote:That's really odd that people are having COAL issues. I ran all types of ammo through my FNP with nary a hiccup. I even went through two 250rd bags o' boolits from cheaperthandirt (I think one was BVAC and the other was federal) with the only problem I had was that a round of .40 got snuck in there somehow. I'm fairly certain there was some winchester white box mixed in there as well because I bought a lot of my ammo from wal-mart before I went to online retailers.
AFAIK, the .45acp is only caliber that has an issue. I have heard of no such reports with the 9mm or .40s&w.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 20 Oct 2011, 05:12

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:As far as I can tell, WWB's problem is that the FNP magazines are very finicky about the length of the ammo, and WWB runs on the long side of .45. Using flat nose or any HP bullet alleviates this problem, the problem is in the magazine which causes rounds FTF, not in the action of the gun itself.

I have shot many many boxes of WWB through my FNP-45T with no issues, and then once in a while the mag will hang-up rounds.
Have you shot flat nosed bullets? The flat nose (like the .45 cowboy) bullets work fine in my pistol, but SWC jam quite often.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 20 Oct 2011, 06:04

bobapunk wrote:
f3rr37 wrote:Hadn't thought about this before... what is the velocity compared to similar weight ammo? You might be able to get away with just running them up a seating die to bring them back down to spec length. Might want to do it in small amounts to watch for pressure signs before seating them to spec depth.
I re-sized a few hundred rounds of WWB and shot them out of my FNP-45. The all functioned fine and no blown primers or anything. The standard WWB is not a hot load to start with, so seating them back a bit seemed fine in my experience.
Good to know, thanks!

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 20 Oct 2011, 15:21

bobapunk wrote:
fooschnickens wrote:That's really odd that people are having COAL issues. I ran all types of ammo through my FNP with nary a hiccup. I even went through two 250rd bags o' boolits from cheaperthandirt (I think one was BVAC and the other was federal) with the only problem I had was that a round of .40 got snuck in there somehow. I'm fairly certain there was some winchester white box mixed in there as well because I bought a lot of my ammo from wal-mart before I went to online retailers.
AFAIK, the .45acp is only caliber that has an issue. I have heard of no such reports with the 9mm or .40s&w.
Mine was a .45 ;) Maybe it was just something to do with the later production magazines? :?:

FNtacticalNUT
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 05 Dec 2011, 19:29

stevelkinevil
Every gun platform will have issues somewhere. The problem is that WWB is what it is. Cheap ammo and actually out of spec and poor quality. And I do not know where you buy ammo but it is not the cheapest ammo if you buy bulk.
I shoot PMC,MAGTECH,SELLIER,FEDERAL in all my FNP's and are cheaper than WBB. Never had any issues with FTF and FTE with these ammo's. I also ran my last few boxes of Wolf and TULA no issues. Try shooting COP ammo for self defense. This is great smooth custom ammo from a great company.
I use to feel the same when I whooped out he money for this gun and found WBB not function but I finally realized it is not the gun it is the crappie ammo that you are shooting. And for me that means a tighter gun to fit top performance that out performs my trophy 1911.
So be proud of this firearm and feed it what it likes and it will love you back.