CZ 75B 9mm Ammunition

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
57js

CZ 75B 9mm Ammunition

Post by 57js » 15 Sep 2011, 06:29

Now that I broke down and listened to Blue and Jay, I will be probably have a CZ 75B 9mm in my hands by the end of the month so I will need to find some good ammunition for it. It is going to be mostly a range gun so I don't want to spend too much money on ammunition. What ammo does this gun like that won't break the bank? I try to buy ammo in bulk to save some money, and the ammo lasts a while since I don't shoot that often.

Thanks.

Tachycardia

Re: CZ 75B 9mm Ammunition

Post by Tachycardia » 15 Sep 2011, 11:20

It will shoot anything you feed it.

I used to shoot a lot of WWB as it was cheap at Wal-Mart but now I use reloads.

I have never found ammo that any of my CZ's would not take.

Just remember to dry fire it about 250 times and the trigger will loosed up quite a bit.

As far as accuracy, depends on the pistol. My compacts like 115 grain and my Shadow and Phantom seem to do well with 124 grn.

If it is just a range gun look into some adjustable sights, makes it easy to tune for different loads.

You can find everything CZ here http://czcustom.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 15 Sep 2011, 11:21

We need a CZ sub-forum, Blue.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 15 Sep 2011, 12:04

Don't forget to dry fire it in double action mode.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 15 Sep 2011, 12:28

Or just order the hammer/trigger kit from CZ customs and enjoy an awesome new trigger.

Night and day IMO.

I am actually headed there now to get parts and drool a bit

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 15 Sep 2011, 16:17

I will be drooling alongside Tachy, he texted me he was hitting up the CZ Custom shop. :(

Can't wait for a certain secret package...

57J.

I have two words for you. "Combat Pistol".

I shoot everything through CZ's and they never jam. All guns eventually jam, but I do not recall one jam with any CZ I have shot. And I've shot... many. I'll add you to the list I'm already forgetting of the people who have started buying CZ's. We need a going list :D Tachy can be in charge :p

EAA's are great guns, but their "match" guns differ from CZ's match guns. The difference is other companies such as Tanfoglio/EAA, and other European/Asian/USSR countries that copy the CZ design do not always do so with the same specs nor success. Don't get me wrong, I love some clones (mainly only EAA's. Ok, only EAA's). I love their match guns. However, CZ match guns are still combat ready unlike other companies who clone CZ's.

EAA Elite Match guns will jam when dirty. This can be caused by unburnt powder, or dirt. Other not-even-match guns that clone CZ's have feeding issues, short-cycling problems, spring problems, blah blah blah

I only endorse what is legit, because I have shot it. If I haven't shot it, I keep my mouth shut and listen. At this point, Tachy is more experienced in the match CZ's than I will ever be, so you should talk to him if you want one. EAA's are great match guns, also. My coach, alongside Henning, was sponsored by Tanfoglio back in the day, and I have shot many of his custom Tan's. They are sick.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

57js

Post by 57js » 15 Sep 2011, 16:44

Tachycardia wrote:It will shoot anything you feed it.

I used to shoot a lot of WWB as it was cheap at Wal-Mart but now I use reloads.

I have never found ammo that any of my CZ's would not take.

Just remember to dry fire it about 250 times and the trigger will loosed up quite a bit.

As far as accuracy, depends on the pistol. My compacts like 115 grain and my Shadow and Phantom seem to do well with 124 grn.

If it is just a range gun look into some adjustable sights, makes it easy to tune for different loads.

You can find everything CZ here http://czcustom.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun
Should I get snap caps for it (assuming there are 9mm snap caps) or is it really safe to dry fire it? I am getting the full size 75B (got to order it today or tomorrow, assuming still in stock) so I will probably go with the 124 grain ammo.

Sending me to another website to spend even more money. Thanks a lot. :) I am buying a Mossberg 590A1 shotgun at the same time so I don't want to go crazy so it might be some time before I start customizing the 75B. Ammo is going to cost a lot for these two items.

57js

Post by 57js » 15 Sep 2011, 16:45

Tachycardia wrote:Or just order the hammer/trigger kit from CZ customs and enjoy an awesome new trigger.

Night and day IMO.

Might be a while before I start modifying the gun so if I dry fire the gun, will the hammer/trigger kit still worth it? If so, how easy is it to install?

57js

Post by 57js » 15 Sep 2011, 16:47

blueorison wrote:I will be drooling alongside Tachy, he texted me he was hitting up the CZ Custom shop. :(

Can't wait for a certain secret package...

57J.

I have two words for you. "Combat Pistol".

I shoot everything through CZ's and they never jam. All guns eventually jam, but I do not recall one jam with any CZ I have shot. And I've shot... many. I'll add you to the list I'm already forgetting of the people who have started buying CZ's. We need a going list :D Tachy can be in charge :p

EAA's are great guns, but their "match" guns differ from CZ's match guns. The difference is other companies such as Tanfoglio/EAA, and other European/Asian/USSR countries that copy the CZ design do not always do so with the same specs nor success. Don't get me wrong, I love some clones (mainly only EAA's. Ok, only EAA's). I love their match guns. However, CZ match guns are still combat ready unlike other companies who clone CZ's.

EAA Elite Match guns will jam when dirty. This can be caused by unburnt powder, or dirt. Other not-even-match guns that clone CZ's have feeding issues, short-cycling problems, spring problems, blah blah blah

I only endorse what is legit, because I have shot it. If I haven't shot it, I keep my mouth shut and listen. At this point, Tachy is more experienced in the match CZ's than I will ever be, so you should talk to him if you want one. EAA's are great match guns, also. My coach, alongside Henning, was sponsored by Tanfoglio back in the day, and I have shot many of his custom Tan's. They are sick.
I have seen 115 grain ammo, +P ammo, and more. I know you said the gun will shoot anything, but is there a specific grain that is recommended for the full size 75B?

CZFAN

Post by CZFAN » 15 Sep 2011, 16:55

57js.

Most CZ's can handle aything you feed her, I've loaded +P+ in my CZ's and it worked perfect.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 15 Sep 2011, 17:11

CZ's, again are MIL and Combat pistols. +P+ are fine.

For the full sized there is no recommended load. Shoot the cheapest brass you find, or if you don't mind steel get that, too.

Don't waste money on snap caps if you want them for dryfiring. You don't need that. It's a combat pistol, you can't hurt the gun. DO NOT BABY IT.
Shoot more, worry less.

57js

Post by 57js » 15 Sep 2011, 19:10

blueorison wrote:CZ's, again are MIL and Combat pistols. +P+ are fine.

For the full sized there is no recommended load. Shoot the cheapest brass you find, or if you don't mind steel get that, too.

Don't waste money on snap caps if you want them for dryfiring. You don't need that. It's a combat pistol, you can't hurt the gun. DO NOT BABY IT.
The cheapest brass I found is BVAC which you previously mentioned you didn't like. I have heard mostly positive things about that brand, but a few people have had issues with it. 1000 rounds for about $135.

Going to place an order for that CZ tomorrow. Going to skip the snap caps, and dry fire it per several people's recommendations. I dry fire all my revolvers except the .22LR which can't be dry fired.

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 15 Sep 2011, 19:31

57js wrote:
Tachycardia wrote:Or just order the hammer/trigger kit from CZ customs and enjoy an awesome new trigger.

Night and day IMO.

Might be a while before I start modifying the gun so if I dry fire the gun, will the hammer/trigger kit still worth it? If so, how easy is it to install?
It is worth it to me as it makes for a sweet shooting pistol, as far as putting it in, it is not bad if you are good with that sort of thing.
If you really want to do it right you can send it to CZ Custom and they can make it AMAZING.

If you are looking at a CZ, look at the Shadow as well, it is set up and ready to go out of the box for $880.

More money for sure but a great pistol.

Also the Phantom is awesome and under $500

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 15 Sep 2011, 19:31

If it is just a range pistol. look at the EAA Match as well

Not a combat gun like the CZ, but a joy to shoot and has a GREAT trigger.

They can be found for around $500
Last edited by Tachycardia on 15 Sep 2011, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 15 Sep 2011, 19:49

57js wrote:
blueorison wrote:CZ's, again are MIL and Combat pistols. +P+ are fine.

The cheapest brass I found is BVAC which you previously mentioned you didn't like. I have heard mostly positive things about that brand, but a few people have had issues with it. 1000 rounds for about $135.

Going to place an order for that CZ tomorrow. Going to skip the snap caps, and dry fire it per several people's recommendations. I dry fire all my revolvers except the .22LR which can't be dry fired.
BVAC rifle ammo is fine, I've tried their bulk pistol ammo and the QC is BAD to say the least.

I would shoot factory ammo, not BVAC bulk. It's not what brand of rounds you put through the CZ that is the concern, it's that some brands like UMC are not even STANDARD quality, and should not be shot out of ANY gun, IMO.
Shoot more, worry less.

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 15 Sep 2011, 19:53

I dislike shooting UMC

Seems to give a larger flash and I find it to be inconsistent.

For the same price you can have WWB or Federal, Wal Mart is often a great place for 223, 9, 40 and 45 ammo.

CZFAN

Post by CZFAN » 15 Sep 2011, 19:59

If you were in FL there is a guy Named Gary Skiba from G&S Customs Guns that sells his 9mm ammo 1000 rounds for $165. He uses CCI Primers and Montana Gold bullets.

57js

Post by 57js » 16 Sep 2011, 18:58

I ordered the CZ which I should get in a few weeks, and also ordered some RWS 9mm 124gr FMJ ammo. I should have the ammo before I get the gun, but I know I will be already to go once I get the gun.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I look forward to my time in the desert shooting the gun.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 Sep 2011, 20:50

I love that ammo, 57J.

It is loaded HOT. Not incredibly +P+ hot, but definitely way over normal factory loadings. I've shot RWS's hard to find match ammunition, and I can tell you I was very impressed. I have also shot the ammunition you have ordered.

Since apparently I did rave too much in my review instead of give you facts, here's one:

Your CZ will like the ammunition. The bang is bigger than you will expect. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

57js

Post by 57js » 17 Sep 2011, 07:05

blueorison wrote:I love that ammo, 57J.

It is loaded HOT. Not incredibly +P+ hot, but definitely way over normal factory loadings. I've shot RWS's hard to find match ammunition, and I can tell you I was very impressed. I have also shot the ammunition you have ordered.

Since apparently I did rave too much in my review instead of give you facts, here's one:

Your CZ will like the ammunition. The bang is bigger than you will expect. :)
I am glad I bought that ammunition now. I have heard of good things about RWS, and almost bought some of their .22LR match ammo for my 1956 S&W 22/32 kit gun. I ended up with Eley due to being a little cheaper than RWS, but RWS was also recommended to me for that gun which is why I went ahead and bought it now. I didn't see +P designation on the ammo, but I will take your word that it is a hotter than a regular 9mm round.

Glad to hear that the CZ will like the ammunition as some of my old S&Ws can be quite finicky on what they like.

Just a few more weeks now...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 Sep 2011, 08:33

57J;

Eley is ok for .22; I've shot all colours of their ammunition and have found it to be alright.

RWS is my favourite for the .22. It simply is the best. My experience with RWS Gold .22 usage was that it felt as if each round was hand-loaded. The pressures were so consistent it blew me away how strict the quality control was. I've used it in Pardini, Benelli, Baikal, and other custom .22's. I've also shot it out of cheap production .22's such as the S&W 22A's and Rugers.

Wolf match and Lapua match .22LR also are good rounds, but in my experience, RWS Gold is the best. It's $20+ a box for .22LR; I found that ludicrous when I first discovered the cost. After that, I made my team shoot only the cheap Federal Bulk ammunition that came in the 500-round boxes. I've beat NRA Collegiate competitors with stock Rugers and Federal bulk ammunition. You don't always need match rounds, FYI. I've since taken my team out of the NRA Collegiate competitions and we shoot more practical and balanced USPSA.
Shoot more, worry less.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 17 Sep 2011, 11:43

I like eley, but my fave is wolf/sk Jagd. Love shooting 22's.

Fed bulk is shit for accuracy, I have shot thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds of fed bulk from stock to total custom guns.
كاف

57js

Post by 57js » 17 Sep 2011, 12:40

blueorison wrote:57J;

Eley is ok for .22; I've shot all colours of their ammunition and have found it to be alright.

RWS is my favourite for the .22. It simply is the best. My experience with RWS Gold .22 usage was that it felt as if each round was hand-loaded. The pressures were so consistent it blew me away how strict the quality control was. I've used it in Pardini, Benelli, Baikal, and other custom .22's. I've also shot it out of cheap production .22's such as the S&W 22A's and Rugers.

Wolf match and Lapua match .22LR also are good rounds, but in my experience, RWS Gold is the best. It's $20+ a box for .22LR; I found that ludicrous when I first discovered the cost. After that, I made my team shoot only the cheap Federal Bulk ammunition that came in the 500-round boxes. I've beat NRA Collegiate competitors with stock Rugers and Federal bulk ammunition. You don't always need match rounds, FYI. I've since taken my team out of the NRA Collegiate competitions and we shoot more practical and balanced USPSA.
I still have quite a bit of the Eley ammo left, but I will probably try the RWS next depending on how how well the 9mm ammo works out. I don't shoot in matches, but was told that Eley and RWS are the best for my older revolver instead of the usual .22LR ammo. I bought Eley Sport ammo, and compared that to RWS Target ammo. Eley works fine with me, but I am usually open to trying new ammo if it is better.

I found Eley and RWS .22LR prices quite high compared to regular .22LR ammo, but they are better ammo. The main reason why I shoot the Eley in my 22/32 is because it appears to be cleaner than most .22 ammo. It isn't as clean as ammo, but the less scrubbing of the great blue finish on that revolver the better. I bought CCI Blazers for my S&W Model 63 which doesn't so well. I bought the same Federal Bulk ammunition that you have, and hopefully that will work better. The Blazers don't eject easily, and I had a few misfires. It could be the gun, but I am guessing it could very well be the ammo. I expect to retire the Blazers to my AR15 with .22LR upper receiver which eats up that ammunition without a problem.

57js

Post by 57js » 17 Sep 2011, 12:47

jmz5 wrote:I like eley, but my fave is wolf/sk Jagd. Love shooting 22's.

Fed bulk is shit for accuracy, I have shot thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds of fed bulk from stock to total custom guns.
I have CCI Blazers which I believe is causing a problem with my S&W Model 63 so I bought some Fed bulk. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully that fixes the problem. My first step is make sure ammo works in the gun, and then I will work on accuracy. I don't want to shoot Eley, RWS, or any of the other premium .22s in any gun other than my 22/32 kit gun. That kind of defeats the purpose of the .22 for me. I don't want to sacrifice accuracy, but for my purposes, I bought the .22 for economical reasons. 3¢ a round is a lot better than the 38¢ a round SS197 costs me, and is better than the 21¢ per round the RWS 9mm ammo will cost me.

The Fed bulk doesn't need to be the most accurate ammo of all time, but it is going to be used at the range, and I would like to have the spots be in the area I am aiming at for obvious reasons. I haven't tried the ammo yet so it might meet my needs or it might not. Hopefully it will be accurate enough for my needs.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 17 Sep 2011, 21:21

I thought this topic was about 9mm ammo for the CZ 75B... :ponder:

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 17 Sep 2011, 21:36

f3rr37 wrote:I thought this topic was about 9mm ammo for the CZ 75B... :ponder:

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 18 Sep 2011, 22:25