Swiss K31

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
VeTTeMaNC486

Swiss K31

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 07 Jul 2011, 17:55

I picked one up on my camping trip to Virginia. The seriel number indicates that it was manufactured in 1942. Anyone have any experience or load data with these rifles? I bought it mainly for the awesomeness of the action, the accuracy these things are supposed to have doesn't hurt either. I payed more than I wanted, but it seems the price on these things are on the rise and I have been wanting one for a while, figured buy now or regret it later.

I have some loads worked up for it with a 168gr SMK and IMR 4350. I am going to see what charge weight/case head stamp shoots closest to point of aim and I guess I will use that load. Interesting that the throat is so short on these rifles, I had to seat the bullet DEEP into the case to keep the bullet off the rifling. At first I set the bullets kissing the rifling but decided to seat them ~.010 deeper just to play it safe. Everyone says the 175gr berger VLD has the profile that best matches the GP11 round, which allows it to be seated farther out.

I hope I can get a decent load that shoots to POA and just keep this thing with iron sights, I need some practice with them.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Swiss K31

Post by blueorison » 07 Jul 2011, 18:02

Wonderful rifle. Make sure sights are original and not replaced (front sight).

A good model will produce sub-MOA 10 shot groups at 300 yards.

The GP rounds are hand-crafted and cannot be matched. Accuracy might be worked to the potential, but the craftsmanship is exquisite.

Have fun and post pictures and data :)
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 07 Jul 2011, 18:36

blueorison wrote:Wonderful rifle. Make sure sights are original and not replaced (front sight).

A good model will produce sub-MOA 10 shot groups at 300 yards.

The GP rounds are hand-crafted and cannot be matched. Accuracy might be worked to the potential, but the craftsmanship is exquisite.

Have fun and post pictures and data :)
The only thing (besides money) keeping me from buying a bunch of that stuff is the berdan brass. Would make me sad throwing away all that once fired brass :( .
I heard that the 175gr SMK is a decent bullet for the rifle. Might have to try that. How do you tell if its the original front sight?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Jul 2011, 18:42

Fit and quality usually is a tell-tale sign. Alongside that is the tool-marks and if the steel looks compromised when installed. If the rifle shoots POA, it should be fine.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 07 Jul 2011, 22:15

I have worked some loads for my 7.5 swiss, but honestly, nothing compares to the GP rounds. The gun was designed for them. The SMKs don't come close as far as accuracy with the GP11 loads (pretty much all I use now, don't reload this one much because of the unique chamber) because you have to push the base of the projectile so far below the shoulder, they are not ideal. You should use 168 gr Nosler Match bullets and load those instead, and you can get Norma brass too. I would recommend putting them .08 off the lans. Also, you will need to full length size each time you shoot, and I would bump the shoulder back .003 each time, or after a few fires, the loads won't chamber with the straight bolt.

I don't share my exact loads on forums for a variety of safety reasons, but IMR 4350 is a great powder to use, so I think you are in the right area on that.

Cool thing, unscrew the butt plate of the rifle and see if the piece of water proof paper with the handwritten info of the recruit that was issued the rifle is still there. Mine was, and it has his name rank, serial number and town of residency on it. Pretty cool.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 08 Jul 2011, 06:38

flyingirish04 wrote:I have worked some loads for my 7.5 swiss, but honestly, nothing compares to the GP rounds. The gun was designed for them. The SMKs don't come close as far as accuracy with the GP11 loads (pretty much all I use now, don't reload this one much because of the unique chamber) because you have to push the base of the projectile so far below the shoulder, they are not ideal. You should use 168 gr Nosler Match bullets and load those instead, and you can get Norma brass too. I would recommend putting them .08 off the lans. Also, you will need to full length size each time you shoot, and I would bump the shoulder back .003 each time, or after a few fires, the loads won't chamber with the straight bolt.

I don't share my exact loads on forums for a variety of safety reasons, but IMR 4350 is a great powder to use, so I think you are in the right area on that.

Cool thing, unscrew the butt plate of the rifle and see if the piece of water proof paper with the handwritten info of the recruit that was issued the rifle is still there. Mine was, and it has his name rank, serial number and town of residency on it. Pretty cool.
Thats what I have read about the GP11. Its just that the guy I bought the rifle from gave me the brass and reloading dies for it. Just working with what I have. People say the berger VLD is the closest to the GP11 bullet in shape, but those bullets alone cost almost as much as GP11, which kind of defeats the purpose in reloading for it. I got rained out this morning for shooting, got up at 7am to go shoot and it was freaking raining. :wall: Got some work to do during the day today, will try to get out there and shoot this PM but it is supposed to rain again so we'll see. I'm dieing to shoot the thing, this is the longest I have gone with a new gun and not shot it. :laugh:

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 08 Jul 2011, 06:51

Bergers are about like the SMKs in my experience. That rifle doesn't really like American VLDs is all. I would stick with the smaller Nosler match bullets. I have been looking to see if any of the GP11 bullets are available anywhere. I have a friend who goes to Switzerland twice a year for business and I am going to have him visit a few shops in Bern and Geneva for me next time he goes. Problem is that they are probably going to be extremely pricey as well.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 08 Jul 2011, 11:34

flyingirish04 wrote:Bergers are about like the SMKs in my experience. That rifle doesn't really like American VLDs is all. I would stick with the smaller Nosler match bullets. I have been looking to see if any of the GP11 bullets are available anywhere. I have a friend who goes to Switzerland twice a year for business and I am going to have him visit a few shops in Bern and Geneva for me next time he goes. Problem is that they are probably going to be extremely pricey as well.
There is a vid on youtube of a guy shooting a k31 at 1k yards with a hand loaded 208gr AMAX, how in the heck did he get that bullet to fit in the case? Is it pointier than others?

I will be on the look out for the nosler. Do you have a load that shoots to POA with the factory sights (assuming you still have them)? That is basically all I am after for now.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 08 Jul 2011, 12:05

As I said, I don't share load data on forums, that is something I do face to face. Just too many ways that something could go wrong. You have the right powder though and I load them within the mins and maxs, not over. The net is full of those that will share the info, just make sure it is within the manufacturers limits. Don't go over. You don't need to for this round.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 08 Jul 2011, 12:23

I have a bunch of brass and fire formed brass for the K-31. He who shall not be naked had one and left the brass behind.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 08 Jul 2011, 15:19

panzermk2 wrote:I have a bunch of brass and fire formed brass for the K-31. He who shall not be naked named had one and left the brass behind.
:laugh: :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 08 Jul 2011, 15:27

:lmao: I really hope you're right blue :lmao:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 08 Jul 2011, 16:26

So he was lying about his ex taking it with him when she left? Wow.

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 08 Jul 2011, 19:03

Rapier1772 wrote::lmao: I really hope you're right blue :lmao:

Maybe Jay had it right the first time :ponder:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 08 Jul 2011, 19:32

Gotta love auto spell check. I have around 100 pieces of brass and I think 50 or loaded. He was a f@ck but that K-31 was great and the ammo he loaded for it was wicked accurate.

Anybody want the stuff?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 08 Jul 2011, 20:17

panzermk2 wrote:Gotta love auto spell check. I have around 100 pieces of brass and I think 50 or loaded. He was a f@ck but that K-31 was great and the ammo he loaded for it was wicked accurate.

Anybody want the stuff?
I do. :D

Finally got to shoot it this afternoon. It hits incredibly far right, im talking like 6-7 inches? I wasn't really shooting for groupings per say, but it seemed to be pretty dang accurate. I am going to try to find the stuff to make a front sight adjustment tool tomorrow when I get off work.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 09 Jul 2011, 22:38

Made a front sight adjustment tool but didn't get to zero the rifle today. I sat inside my job all day, looking out the window at the blue skys and sun shine, and it starts raining like an hour I get off work. :furious:

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 10 Jul 2011, 11:09

love to know what components he was using

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Jul 2011, 13:00

Swiss stamped brass and 284 brass which you can use for Swiss.

I have no load data or load samples.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 10 Jul 2011, 13:41

any idea on the projectile? With specific rifles, especially mil-spec, the projectile is more than half the battle for accuracy.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Jul 2011, 15:43

No I never paid any attention. I shot it a few times but that is it.

I have some loaded around but it's all original G ammo.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Jul 2011, 15:46

I stand corrected I have one of his 284 brass Swiss rounds.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 11 Jul 2011, 11:42

Ugg, went and shot it today, I have moved the front sight to where it is part the way hanging out of the front sight post and it is still and inch or two to the right at 75-80 yards. Any ideas as to what is going on? I'm pretty aggrevated to be honest.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 Jul 2011, 11:44

Is it grouping out there? Or is it all over the place. If it is all over the place (more than 2 inch groups) I would say that the barrel is worn out. I have seen it with used military guns before.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 Jul 2011, 11:45

panzermk2 wrote:I stand corrected I have one of his 284 brass Swiss rounds.

Well if you get a chance to post a pic or figure out what bullet he used, I would be very grateful. Obviously not high on your list right now. :thumb:

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 11 Jul 2011, 15:22

flyingirish04 wrote:Is it grouping out there? Or is it all over the place. If it is all over the place (more than 2 inch groups) I would say that the barrel is worn out. I have seen it with used military guns before.
The groups are decent (for me behind the gun). The bore is mirror like and has sharp rifling.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 Jul 2011, 15:35

most barrel wear occurs at the throat and no where else. Do it look like the rifling fades towards the chamber?

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 11 Jul 2011, 19:04

the effing front sight post is canted.

This is how far I have moved the front sight, and it is still a couple inches right.

Here is one of the groups from today, obviously the rest of them are not like this. I believe this was 50grs imr 4350 168smk forgot my coal but its .010" off the lands.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 Jul 2011, 22:08

That'll do it too. :(

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 07 Sep 2012, 21:02

Using GP11, the sight is a little more reasonable. It is actually on paper now. Sorry for the zombie thread revival but I shot it again last weekend, and got a 1.1inch group at 100 with the GP11. It was only a three shot group, but for me behind the trigger I was bat shit happy and not about to ruin the group with another shot. I still cannot believe I shot that group with an open sight rifle. I cannot shoot like that with a scope most of the time! I guess the bullet weight is part of the reason the groups were so far off. I guess I will look for some Berger VLD 175gr and see about finding a "K31" sizer die because I feel like I am going to get a case stuck with this regular 7.5swiss die.

I am pretty stoked with this rifle. I have always wanted a nice iron sight plinker. (not a huge .22lr fan....)

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Sep 2012, 00:59

Since my posts, I sold my K31 to a buddy of mine. He offered me 250 more than I paid for it and the ability to shoot it whenever we go out shooting. It was sitting around and getting neglected due to my custom bug that is in full force. I really didn't want to sell it but price and terms of sale were righter than rain, so I went with it. Still have the bayonet though. Forgot all about having it, and he doesn't want it because he bought one himself. Oh well, goes in the extras box alongside a bunch of scope rings, bottom metals, stocks, bbls, etc.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 11 Sep 2012, 12:08

flyingirish04 wrote:Since my posts, I sold my K31 to a buddy of mine. He offered me 250 more than I paid for it and the ability to shoot it whenever we go out shooting. It was sitting around and getting neglected due to my custom bug that is in full force. I really didn't want to sell it but price and terms of sale were righter than rain, so I went with it. Still have the bayonet though. Forgot all about having it, and he doesn't want it because he bought one himself. Oh well, goes in the extras box alongside a bunch of scope rings, bottom metals, stocks, bbls, etc.
Want to sell it? I need a bayonet and a sling for mine.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 Sep 2012, 17:46

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:Since my posts, I sold my K31 to a buddy of mine. He offered me 250 more than I paid for it and the ability to shoot it whenever we go out shooting. It was sitting around and getting neglected due to my custom bug that is in full force. I really didn't want to sell it but price and terms of sale were righter than rain, so I went with it. Still have the bayonet though. Forgot all about having it, and he doesn't want it because he bought one himself. Oh well, goes in the extras box alongside a bunch of scope rings, bottom metals, stocks, bbls, etc.
Want to sell it? I need a bayonet and a sling for mine.

Sure. It isn't in great shape. I think I paid over 100 for it, but it isn't worth that honestly, as it is missing the full frog. Most soldiers I guess tore it off and used a strip of leather instead, which this one has. How about $75 shipped?

Looks like this: http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/3445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In fact, you may be able to get it cheaper from that sight. Looks like they dropped their price recently. Not sure what shipping is for them.