SCAR rifles legal in CT?

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
TheSeaDweller

SCAR rifles legal in CT?

Post by TheSeaDweller » 07 May 2011, 16:38

Does anyone know if there is a version of the SCAR that is legal in Connecticut?

PainKillaX

Re: SCAR rifles legal in CT?

Post by PainKillaX » 07 May 2011, 16:47

If you don't mind my asking, why is the SCAR *IL*legal in CT?

TheSeaDweller

Post by TheSeaDweller » 07 May 2011, 17:08

I believe it falls into the assault weapon category which are illegal in Connecticut.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/gloss ... weapon.htm

"Assault weapon" means any one of the following:

1. Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 Carbien type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 Series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; USI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol.

2. A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (1) or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (1) may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

3. Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescopic stock;
ii. a pistol grip;
iii. a bayonet mount;
iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
v. a grenade launcher.

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
ii. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;
iii. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
iv. a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
v. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescoping stock;
ii. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
iii. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
iv. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

4. A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3), or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3), may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 07 May 2011, 17:21

So if you could get a fixed stock and get rid of the flash-hider would it be okay?

TheSeaDweller

Post by TheSeaDweller » 07 May 2011, 17:35

not being a lawyer and only reading the above I would think it would be legal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 08 May 2011, 00:05

Not being caring and bothering to read it at all I think the airsoft SCAR would be legal. :laugh:

Sorry. I really didn't know it was illegal there. Is there a list?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 08 May 2011, 10:37

Technically the PWS is not a flash suppressor but a muzzle break, but that's all a moot point since they put in the 'threaded barrel' clause. So you should be able to do the Kalifornia fixed-stock mod which would remove the folding/telescoping feature of the stock and get you down to two strikes on section 3 A which would make it "legal" unless I'm missing something else. You could also pin the muzzle break which would take away another strike and let you keep the regular stock, which I think is a much better option all around.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

TheSeaDweller

Post by TheSeaDweller » 08 May 2011, 10:48

Thanks all! I cannot wait to get one :drool:

I am going to stop by my local dealer soon and go over all this with him.

So overall you think keeping the stock and fixing the muzzle break in place is better option than putting a fixed stock on?

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 08 May 2011, 14:44

Unless I'm misreading it, you'd have to get rid of both the muzzle break AND telescoping stock. It says at least two of the following, and the pistol grip is one strike, so I'd think that having either the telescoping stock OR muzzle break brings you to two strikes and classifies it as an assault rifle. Correct me if I'm wrong.
TheSeaDweller wrote:I

3. Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescopic stock;
ii. a pistol grip;
iii. a bayonet mount;
iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
v. a grenade launcher.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 08 May 2011, 18:57

If you pin/weld the brake then it negates the threaded barrel item which will allow you the special stock and pistol grip. And seeing as the SCAR doesn't have a bayonet lug or 'nade launcher then you're left with only two items.
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 08 May 2011, 20:28

We need a lawyer. I keep reading it as any two of those items will make it illegal. So you're only allowed one off the list, which has to be the pistol grip.
TheSeaDweller wrote:
Assault weapon means any one of the following...Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision...and has at least two of the following

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 08 May 2011, 23:52

'At least' means in excess of, not equal to. So 'at least' two would be three or more items on the list
-Ambrose Bierce

TheSeaDweller

Post by TheSeaDweller » 14 May 2011, 12:25

I found a local dealer who had one in stock. In order to be legal in CT the muzzle break and stock have to be pinned.

TheSeaDweller

Post by TheSeaDweller » 22 May 2011, 08:26

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a SCAR 16 :D

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 May 2011, 10:00

Your barcode is crooked. Better take it back & get a decent one :p :laugh:

Nice looking rifle :thumb: Had a chance to test it yet? What about pimping plans?
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

TheSeaDweller

Post by TheSeaDweller » 22 May 2011, 10:34

Haven't really thought about it yet (drained my bank account on the gun). The only think I am planning on getting soon would be a case. Any suggestions? The pelican Storm cases look nice.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 May 2011, 11:21

Pelican cases are great, expensive but worth the money. I use them for my dive gear, work equipment, and pistols. They don't sell the rifle cases locally or else I would probably also have my rifles in them.

I use an SKB dual rifle case for my bullpups, pic here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10200&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The PTR is in a Plano AW 42" gun case which, so far, seems to be pretty well made. Unlike the Pelicans which have pluck-n-pull foam, you would have to cut the foam to your weapon . My only complaint is the end handle gets in the way when manipulating the end latch.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

rebr

Post by rebr » 23 May 2011, 11:20

fooschnickens wrote:'At least' means in excess of, not equal to. So 'at least' two would be three or more items on the list

wrong wrong wrong wrong

TheSeaDweller

Post by TheSeaDweller » 23 May 2011, 15:34

rebr wrote:
fooschnickens wrote:'At least' means in excess of, not equal to. So 'at least' two would be three or more items on the list

wrong wrong wrong wrong

The stock and muzzle break had to be pinned before it came into the state to be legal