In a pinch, what would you prefer?

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.

What would you prefer in a pinch:

9mm 147gr. HST @ 1050fps - 360ft/lbs
19%
5.7x28 40gr. Vmax @ 2050fps - 375ft/lbs
81%

Total votes: 43

iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

Post by iFire » 26 Jan 2011, 20:09

I know there are TONS of other options, just looking for the preference between these two :thumb:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: In a pinch, what would you prefer?

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Jan 2011, 20:16

I gel tested the 9mm 147gr. HST a while ago and it was nothing impressive.

Viltaliy has the pics somewhere after we cut it out of the gel block.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

iFire

Post by iFire » 26 Jan 2011, 20:34

panzermk2 wrote:I gel tested the 9mm 147gr. HST a while ago and it was nothing impressive.

Viltaliy has the pics somewhere after we cut it out of the gel block.
Good to know... I Personally think the 5.7 with the 40gr. is the better choice, just looking for others opinions :laugh:

I think the HST is definitely one of the better options in 9mm, I have a mag full of them in the gun in the closet, just in case my five seven is no where to be found...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 26 Jan 2011, 20:51

Oh. One of THESE threads again.

:D

Why is it the OPs of these threads NEVER seem to state under what circumstances the ammo is being used? How many times have we gone over this...

What are we shooting...?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 26 Jan 2011, 21:46

Depends on what we're shooting :) If there's a good chance someone is wearing soft body armor, I'll take the 5.7 :)

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 26 Jan 2011, 22:12

I have to disagree with you jay. I am very impressed with the HST line of projectiles. Nothing comes close as far as consistent expansion.

That being said, I voted with the ProtecTOR. I truly believe the hydrostatic shock received from that round would out do the impressive expansion of the HST.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

iFire

Post by iFire » 26 Jan 2011, 22:42

flyingirish04 wrote:I have to disagree with you jay. I am very impressed with the HST line of projectiles. Nothing comes close as far as consistent expansion.

That being said, I voted with the ProtecTOR. I truly believe the hydrostatic shock received from that round would out do the impressive expansion of the HST.
The round in the poll is not a ProtecTor, but for sake of the question it doesn't really matter too much, same idea... Jay's got the ProtecTor round @ 2092fps - 389 ft/lbs -

blueorison wrote:Oh. One of THESE threads again.

:D

Why is it the OPs of these threads NEVER seem to state under what circumstances the ammo is being used? How many times have we gone over this...

What are we shooting...?
I left it open ended on purpose. How am I suppose to know what I will be shooting at when a bad situation arises???

----------

I have two options - what is everyones opinion of what they would choose if they had to choose one over the other, going into something unknown...
Last edited by iFire on 26 Jan 2011, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 26 Jan 2011, 22:46

Sorry to bring in such a dark fact, but I think that Malik Hassan and Jarred Laughner just performed a real-world comarison, and the 5.7x28 won hands down.
:facepalm:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 27 Jan 2011, 00:51

I don't pick a caliber in threads like "this vs that", especially all those SHTF scenarios, but I do like the simplicity of your question.

That's a pretty easy question. The number one assumption I would make in a defensive situation is that the threat has to be stopped immediately and as quickly as possible.

The NUMBER ONE priority in an unknown danger situation TO ME, is to put

1. the most rounds on target (A-zone)
2. as quickly as possible
3. and making the first shot count the most in the critical hit zone

the .454 is a great powerful round, but if you miss the first shot, or hit his foot instead of A zone, it does no good, as follow-up shots don't come quickly enough to stop the threat. That is my short enlightenment sentence to using big, high-recoiling calibers in unknown defensive situations. Of course, that doesn't mean I recommend a .22 LR.

Now, if I have to shoot the 9mm with something other than my platforms, like a regular sig (not the P210, which I find a joy to shoot), then I will pick 5.7x28mm anyday, as it only exists in the pistol form with the FsN, and I know I can do it with this pistol. This is because some 9mm guns have different physical characteristics that make them slower for follow-up shots. No matter the shooter, the advantageous of some platforms are simply mechanical and cannot be argued. (For example, you cannot argue that identical guns with identical 9mm ammo that have different lengths of trigger reset can be shot in the same time).

So you inevitably also have to consider the platform (well, I do, anyway), and which you can shoot most efficiently.

If your question is under the assumption that you can shoot just as well with either caliber, I would probably pick the 5.7x28mm, because of the disturbance and fragmentation it creates.

Sorry for the longer post.
Shoot more, worry less.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 27 Jan 2011, 05:42

I see I'm the only one who voted HST, no scientific reason, it's just what I prefer if I must use a pistol. But out of a SBR, I would take the 5.7.
كاف

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 Jan 2011, 06:41

Forest Fire wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:I have to disagree with you jay. I am very impressed with the HST line of projectiles. Nothing comes close as far as consistent expansion.

The round in the poll is not a ProtecTor, but for sake of the question it doesn't really matter too much, same idea... Jay's got the ProtecTor round @ 2092fps - 389 ft/lbs -
My mistake. Its just that is the only 40gr VMAX that I would ever shoot in that situation.
Last edited by flyingirish04 on 27 Jan 2011, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 27 Jan 2011, 06:59

SS196?
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 Jan 2011, 07:44

I piss on SS196s and only use 197s for plinking. ;)

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 27 Jan 2011, 08:20

Being the 5.7 forum there is perhaps an affection for the round others may not share. I just never cared for 9mm.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 27 Jan 2011, 08:21

I was going to say, they aren't worth much unless you collect your brass and reload.
The drop on them at 25 yards is sickening. When other rounds are still on the rise, SS196's are already dropping.
I had to try to qualify with them (it was all the SO could find) and adjusting for their being so underpowered caused me to have to run the qual twice. All of my 25 yard and 15 yard shots were low (aiming center mass) and were just outside of the qual line. Once I got inside the 15 yard line, they were pretty much on target.
Nothing wrong with the Hornady 40 gr bullet, they just need to put more 'oomph!' behind it.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

iFire

Post by iFire » 27 Jan 2011, 09:12

Cyberfly wrote:SS196?
SS196 has a muzzle velocity of what - maybe ~ 1600 fps?

These are MY personal loads with a muzzle velocity of 2050fps... NOT SS196

Anyway - ProtecTor or My load - same idea - powerful 5.7 round...
Blueorison wrote:If your question is under the assumption that you can shoot just as well with either caliber, and I am using my guns; even though I am able to produce the same times and accuracy with both, I would probably pick the 5.7x28mm, because of the disturbance and fragmentation it creates.
You got it. All assumptions equal, only variable is the round being used...

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 27 Jan 2011, 12:19

blueorison wrote:I don't pick a caliber in threads like "this vs that", especially all those SHTF scenarios, but I do like the simplicity of your question.

That's a pretty easy question. The number one assumption I would make in a defensive situation is that the threat has to be stopped immediately and as quickly as possible.

The NUMBER ONE priority in an unknown danger situation TO ME, is to put

1. the most rounds on target (A-zone)
2. as quickly as possible
3. and making the first shot count the most in the critical hit zone

the .454 is a great powerful round, but if you miss the first shot, or hit his foot instead of A zone, it does no good, as follow-up shots don't come quickly enough to stop the threat. That is my short enlightenment sentence to using big, high-recoiling calibers in unknown defensive situations. Of course, that doesn't mean I recommend a .22 LR.

Now, if I have to shoot the 9mm with something other than my platforms, like a regular sig (not the P210, which I find a joy to shoot), then I will pick 5.7x28mm anyday, as it only exists in the pistol form with the FsN, and I know I can do it with this pistol. This is because some 9mm guns have different physical characteristics that make them slower for follow-up shots. No matter the shooter, the advantageous of some platforms are simply mechanical and cannot be argued. (For example, you cannot argue that identical guns with identical 9mm ammo that have different lengths of trigger reset can be shot in the same time).

So you inevitably also have to consider the platform (well, I do, anyway), and which you can shoot most efficiently.

If your question is under the assumption that you can shoot just as well with either caliber, I would probably pick the 5.7x28mm, because of the disturbance and fragmentation it creates.

Sorry for the longer post.

you're so full of it your eyes are brown!

The answer is ALWAYS shot placement. ALWAYS.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 27 Jan 2011, 12:26

Well, I'd prefer to have the 5.7x28. Cause I don't have a 9mm to put those bullets in :lmao:

But really, I just like everything about the FsN and its round. Until they make a 20+1 1911 chambered in .45 ACP the FsN has a place in my lineup. Hell, even after that.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 27 Jan 2011, 12:32

50/50, cause I'd prefer my 5.7 but the odds are if I needed to use one it would be the HST. No Kahr PM57 available :p

If it were full size vs full size I'd give the edge to the 5.7 but not by much.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 27 Jan 2011, 14:07

PainKillaX wrote:Well, I'd prefer to have the 5.7x28. Cause I don't have a 9mm to put those bullets in :lmao:

But really, I just like everything about the FsN and its round. Until they make a 20+1 1911 chambered in .45 ACP the FsN has a place in my lineup. Hell, even after that.
They already make one. STI

@Freeze: shut up you troll :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 28 Jan 2011, 08:07

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:Sorry to bring in such a dark fact, but I think that Malik Hassan and Jarred Laughner just performed a real-world comarison, and the 5.7x28 won hands down.
I'm 100% certain that he did not use HST. I would ascertain he used WWB FMJ. One idiot with a 9mm proves nothing.
كاف

iFire

Post by iFire » 28 Jan 2011, 11:12

jmz5 wrote:
SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:Sorry to bring in such a dark fact, but I think that Malik Hassan and Jarred Laughner just performed a real-world comarison, and the 5.7x28 won hands down.
I'm 100% certain that he did not use HST. I would ascertain he used WWB FMJ. One idiot with a 9mm proves nothing.
I'm glad he didnt use HST...

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 28 Jan 2011, 11:25

He bought his ammo from WM. they don't have HST unless of the 135gr .40 S&W flavor. :)

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 24 Mar 2011, 11:31

iFire wrote:In a pinch, what would you prefer?

I know there are TONS of other options, just looking for the preference between these two :thumb:

Definitely the 5.7 rounds.

Standard pressure 9mm ammo does not impress me at all. I keep the hottest high velocity loads in my HK P7 9mm for defense. Namely Corbon Powrball 100gr+P. It chronos north of 1500fps and 500fpe of energy in my pistol.

For "trail defense" (i do walk blackbear country up in the Pa mtns at times) i use Buffalo Bore 124gr+P+ FMJ flat nose ammo at right about 1350fps and 500fpe of energy for that. I also have some of the Doubletap 147gr+P flat nose FMJ ammo too.

ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Post by ShockedNKansas » 18 Apr 2011, 12:43

I'm a big fan of magazine capacity. Unless the energy from the round GREATLY surpasses the 5.7 round that is being used for comparison (like I can blow an arm off or something :clap: ), I want the gun with the most shots. It's like having more tries at the "shootout slot machine" with the payoff being a hit to the CNS. :evil:

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 18 Apr 2011, 12:52

+1

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 18 Apr 2011, 13:26

This was an easy one for me. I have absolutely no use for a 9mm. NATO round designed so no one gets hurt. I'll add one comment that a .45 is a .45 expand or not. if there is a faster delivery system than the 1911 please let me know because i want one. IMHO

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 18 Apr 2011, 14:24

ShockedNKansas wrote:I'm a big fan of magazine capacity. Unless the energy from the round GREATLY surpasses the 5.7 round that is being used for comparison (like I can blow an arm off or something :clap: ), I want the gun with the most shots. It's like having more tries at the "shootout slot machine" with the payoff being a hit to the CNS. :evil:
What common handgun caliber can you "like blow an arm off" with?
:skep:
Shoot more, worry less.

ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Post by ShockedNKansas » 18 Apr 2011, 14:28

blueorison wrote:
ShockedNKansas wrote:I'm a big fan of magazine capacity. Unless the energy from the round GREATLY surpasses the 5.7 round that is being used for comparison (like I can blow an arm off or something :clap: ), I want the gun with the most shots. It's like having more tries at the "shootout slot machine" with the payoff being a hit to the CNS. :evil:
What common handgun caliber can you "like blow an arm off" with?
:skep:
Exactly.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 18 Apr 2011, 14:28

or

those are the closest i can think of :)

iFire

Post by iFire » 18 Apr 2011, 19:36

fzr confused wrote:
The .500 S&W......It will actually take off two arms at once - the bad guys arm AND your own arm! :laugh:

Wolvee

Post by Wolvee » 18 Apr 2011, 21:53

I picked 9mm just because I'm more familiar with it, there's tons of surplus and it's cheaper to buy.

Gramaton Cleric
Gold Member
custom title: Gun Kata

Post by Gramaton Cleric » 20 Apr 2011, 15:31

This is my take. The 5.7. Why? Because I have 6 20rd mags that I can carry comfortably. There has been enough tests have been done to prove the worthiness of the 5.7. I never needed the test's when I fist seen the P90 and IOM about 8 years ago! I always wanted the pistol variant. It revolutionizes the whole mindset of protection in my opinion. That amount of rds is is a lot of fire power.....id dont care who ya are thats more than enough for any situation one might find themselves in! Accept maybe a 14 ft Kodiak bear lol or grizzly!!!
Aim small,Miss Small!
NRA LIFE Member
Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 19 Sep 2011, 10:50

They don't sell Corbon DPX with the Barnes solid copper hollowpoint (also offered as loaded ammo by Doubletap, and soon by Buffalo bore at true +P+ energy levels) where you live?

The Barnes SCHP expands like gangbusters.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 20 Sep 2011, 23:11

Most of the time I leave the house I have my PF9 loaded with 147gr HST +Ps... That being said, I do not like 9mm, its just that the gun is so convient to carry.

Rouge701

Post by Rouge701 » 06 Dec 2011, 18:32

fzr confused wrote:Image

:agree:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Dec 2011, 01:50

Shot a 2" snub S&W 500.

I love that revolver. It is beaaaaaaautiful!
Shoot more, worry less.