Comp-Tac MTAC Holster

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Comp-Tac MTAC Holster

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Jul 2010, 13:58

I got a MTAC holster for my FsN. http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They say they need about 6 days for their production run, I ordered it on 6/26 & received it on 7/3.
The more observant amongst you may notice something odd, which is why I am not posting anything about using it for carry right now. I also took some pics of just wearing it for review picture's sake. But something about the auto-focus with using the timer didn't work - they look worse than Justin's old pics :p Here's one anyway though
With an untucked shirt, you couldn't see the gun was there.
Untucked drawing was easy enough, returning the gun to the holster was a bit of a pain. Maybe because it is still new?
This holster is supposed to be able to conceal a gun with a tucked in shirt. The shirt is to be tucked in between the gun & pants.
With a tucked shirt, you could see there was something pushing the belt/waistline out on the one side. Carry twin FsNs & maybe they wont notice :D
I tried the tucked shirt drawing as well; it was so slow to untuck & then draw that I am certain I would be dead by the time I could get it done anyway. I will not carry under a tucked shirt.
Standing & walking around the apartment was fine. Sitting was a bit uncomfortable but not too bad.

A "clue" for the non-observant crowd - when the barrel comes back from Tornado Tech I will add a review post about carrying. Also note that with the open ended holster, it should still be usable with a threaded extension.
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 04 Jul 2010, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: Comp-Tac MTAC Holster

Post by f3rr37 » 04 Jul 2010, 14:01

haha, I thought something was wrong right away.

Nice holster though, looks good.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 05 Jul 2010, 01:17

I just noticed that Image
didn't have a barrel in it right off the bat.

P.s. They're awesome. I've got one for my kimber and I'll be getting one for a USG when I finally pick one of those up.

Great choice.

5seven

Post by 5seven » 05 Jul 2010, 19:36

That's the holster I just ordered. Should be in my hands this week. The uncle mikes piece of wet suit just isn't working.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 06 Jul 2010, 05:28

I wanted to try a new holster (I've been using the Blade-tech UCH) and I compared the MTAC to Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. After reading everything I could and viewing every video I could find. Ultimately I ordered the Crossbreed because the belt clips look sturdier to me.

I hope I didn't make a bad choice - has anybody here used both the MTAC & Crossbreed, and if so, how did they compare?

Edit: I did use the search function but it didn't come up with a direct comparison on the forum...
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

5seven

Post by 5seven » 06 Jul 2010, 06:21

jgreenberg01 wrote:I wanted to try a new holster (I've been using the Blade-tech UCH) and I compared the MTAC to Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. After reading everything I could and viewing every video I could find. Ultimately I ordered the Crossbreed because the belt clips look sturdier to me.

I hope I didn't make a bad choice - has anybody here used both the MTAC & Crossbreed, and if so, how did they compare?

Edit: I did use the search function but it didn't come up with a direct comparison on the forum...
Those were the two I was looking at aswell. The crossbred clips are better looking, but the changeable bodies and overall fit and finish is what changed my mind.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 06 Jul 2010, 12:19

jgreenberg01 wrote:I wanted to try a new holster (I've been using the Blade-tech UCH) and I compared the MTAC to Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. After reading everything I could and viewing every video I could find. Ultimately I ordered the Crossbreed because the belt clips look sturdier to me.

They're just wider. But they also have gothic crosses on them... WTF is that shit. The M-Tac's clips are plenty sturdy, and have a small amount of give when you need it, and are adjustable with 5 position holes on each for a truly adjustable cant setting, and they're not an inch wide, so they're unobtrusive and unnoticeable.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 06 Jul 2010, 12:42

ynoty3k wrote:They're just wider. But they also have gothic crosses on them... WTF is that shit. The M-Tac's clips are plenty sturdy, and have a small amount of give when you need it, and are adjustable with 5 position holes on each for a truly adjustable cant setting, and they're not an inch wide, so they're unobtrusive and unnoticeable.
Another reason I wanted to try metal clips is that my Blade-tech loosens up after about a month of use which requires tightening. Having to tighten it isn't really a big deal, the problem is that once it loosens up, the damn thing kinda creaks like a door that needs oil as I move.

I actually ordered a second crossbreed holster for my new XDm 45 at the same time. I know the MTAC bodies are interchangeable, but I'm too lazy to do that if I decide to carry the XDm instead of the FsN for any reason.

I don't know what's up with that Gothic cross on the clips, but as long as it's not the Islamic crescent moon, I'm cool with it! :laugh:
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

5seven

Post by 5seven » 07 Jul 2010, 04:48

I got my comp-tac in yesterday. the only thing I noticed was on the Fiveseven was the guard on the slide removal lever would really dig into the leather to the point I had to loosen the kydex body to remove the weapon. So i sanded the sharp edge down and it seemed to help quite a bit. Now drawing the weapon is a lot easier.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 07 Jul 2010, 07:51

5seven wrote:I got my comp-tac in yesterday. the only thing I noticed was on the Fiveseven was the guard on the slide removal lever would really dig into the leather to the point I had to loosen the kydex body to remove the weapon. So i sanded the sharp edge down and it seemed to help quite a bit. Now drawing the weapon is a lot easier.
Good stuff, sir.

I have to concur, I myself have um... "modified" the slide removal guard afore of the slider.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rick McC

Post by Rick McC » 07 Jul 2010, 11:07

I'm glad you guys like 'em; but I prefer my leather pancake holster.

OWB is much more comfortable,and sitting, driving and all day wear is no problem at all.

JMHO,

Rick

5seven

Post by 5seven » 07 Jul 2010, 15:44

blueorison wrote:
5seven wrote:I got my comp-tac in yesterday. the only thing I noticed was on the Fiveseven was the guard on the slide removal lever would really dig into the leather to the point I had to loosen the kydex body to remove the weapon. So i sanded the sharp edge down and it seemed to help quite a bit. Now drawing the weapon is a lot easier.
Good stuff, sir.

I have to concur, I myself have um... "modified" the slide removal guard afore of the slider.
How much did you take yours down? I just barely rounded the sharp corners down. I thought about taking about a millimeter off the top... I am leaning towards doing more but ran out of time last night.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 08 Jul 2010, 21:58

Rick McC wrote:I'm glad you guys like 'em; but I prefer my leather pancake holster.

OWB is much more comfortable,and sitting, driving and all day wear is no problem at all.

JMHO,

Rick

Showoff. :lmao:
5seven wrote:
blueorison wrote:
Good stuff, sir.

How much did you take yours down? I just barely rounded the sharp corners down. I thought about taking about a millimeter off the top... I am leaning towards doing more but ran out of time last night.
Shaving 1mm won't hurt anything at all, period. The slide has to be out of battery to even depressed the lever and move it. Otherwise it's locked solid. I've tried multiple times to pry it down with the slide in various positions, it won't budge unless it's past the OoB point. Furthermore, even if it were depressed, you'd have to put alot of tension at that specific point AND get it to travel all the way to the point where the slide comes off, which isn't short at all. Even if 1. Somehow your slide got OoB 2. The lever were depressed partially,

the slide AND level IMMEDIATELY snaps hard home when you unholster.

For, the win.

Oh, and to answer your question, umm incidentally the guard was shaved while I was performing a batter of reliability, accuracy, and media testing with the FsN and different rounds.

Let's just say this one involved.... an AR A2 stock and buffer......a steel vise..... and very intense PEWPEWage.
:lmao:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

5seven

Post by 5seven » 09 Jul 2010, 06:20

That's true. I think I'm going to take it down a little more tonight if I can get the time

Post by 71214 » 15 Jul 2010, 00:01

I went with the Crossbreed for both my Glock 30 and my FiveseveN. They offer a discount to NRA members and they have a better warranty (lifetime). As far as wear with a tucked in shirt; it works fine if the shirt wears a little loose. I've worn mine all day long without problems. As far as having to draw quickly; you shouldn't look like you are itching for a fight. If you are in a bad situation pull your shirt out before you get there.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Jul 2010, 21:44

Got the barrel back from Tornado Technologies & yes, the threaded extension does go beyond the kydex but not past the leather. The threads themselves do not touch the kydex but the thread protector might. Thread protectors are on back order so once again, I will post when I get it
Pics in the morning

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 16 Jul 2010, 22:45

ynoty3k wrote:

They're just wider. But they also have gothic crosses on them... WTF is that shit.

Lets try this really slow. C R O S S breed. :) And also because of this
the larger meaning behind his company’s name references the Lord Jesus Christ and His sacrifice upon the cross which was made for all mankind.
I prefer actually not having interchangeable bodies. the leather eventually also conforms a little to the pistol itself and helps hold it in place.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 17 Jul 2010, 06:08

Pics with the threaded barrel

Outlaw54

Post by Outlaw54 » 19 Jul 2010, 20:53

This looks like a real nice holster. I looked but I didn't see a thread jump out at me that had any type of shoulder rig for the Five-Seven. Any thoughts or links to a quality leather shoulder holster?

Thanks

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 Jul 2010, 21:07

Search function:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 25 May 2011, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

ted99

Post by ted99 » 14 Aug 2010, 14:00

Received mine a week, ago. Also ordered bodies for Walther PPS and Glock. Fantastic holster. The most comfortable CC holster I have. The FN "feels" small, and the Walther is tiny in this holster.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 18 Aug 2010, 07:41

I have both the Comp-Tac and the Crossbreed for my FsN and my Sig 220 Elite. I have carried both holsters and both guns. In my opinion the Comp-Tac is the better holster. Craftsmanship on the CT is much better, Kydex is better, gun fit is much better.
THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS THE COMP-TAC HAS TWO RETENTION ADJUSTMENT AND THE CROSSBREED HAS NONE. Both holsters were very comfortable and very concealable. The Comp-Tac is the only holster I will carry. It is head and shoulders above the Crossbreed. I have the horsehide version of the Comp-Tac, the most comfortable Holster I have ever carried, I like the way it spreads the carry over a wider distance. GREAT HOLSTER.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member

Post by SHEEPDOG » 18 Aug 2010, 16:50

Here are pics of the COMP-TAC AND CROOSBREED
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 29 May 2011, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed img tags

Never Enough

Post by Never Enough » 07 Sep 2010, 18:16

is there a good waterproofing for these types of holsters that won;t poison you or hurt your skin? Living in south Florida you sweat alot as I would like to protect it as much as possible Thanks for any remedys

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Apr 2011, 19:02

My new MTAC got in today for my 1911s. Before anyone goes off on the tacti-black idea, that is not why I got it. The holster for my FsN has brown leather, this black one is for my 1911s. I can tell at glance which one to grab or if I ask my gf to grab my holster for me I can just say what color. It is almost idiot proof...
I got the one for the 4.25" barrel because of my CBOB and it fits perfectly, the Kimber has a 4" barrel. The same holster will work for both. It fits a little tighter with the CBOB but does not require any adjustments when switching between the two. Total time order to door - 1 week.
If you want pics of the holster by itself you can either ask or photoshop the brown holster on the OP black :D
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 08 Apr 2011, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

Ospy
custom title: Brian

Post by Ospy » 08 Apr 2011, 04:55

What a great thread. I am planning on buying one of these over the next few days. I was leaning toward CT, but now I think I may wait the five weeks for the CB.

Ospy

Post by Ospy » 11 Apr 2011, 12:11

Nope. I officially ordered my comp tac MTAC Today on 4/11. I will keep you posted as to when it arrives.
A liberal lady friend once argued that a lot of gun owners that are victims of a crime end up getting killed with their own weapons. That's absurd! If someone is going to kill me with my own gun, they're going to have to beat me to death with it, because it's going to be empty.

Ospy

Post by Ospy » 16 Apr 2011, 14:50

Ospy wrote:Nope. I officially ordered my comp tac MTAC Today on 4/11. I will keep you posted as to when it arrives.
Arrived today, 4/16 Very nice! I'm trying to get it situated so it can be drawn easily. Also, yes, I did have to file that slide lever gaurd too. It seems like I'm going to have to expect a break-in period with this.

How many waist sizes did you have to go up to accommodate this holster?
A liberal lady friend once argued that a lot of gun owners that are victims of a crime end up getting killed with their own weapons. That's absurd! If someone is going to kill me with my own gun, they're going to have to beat me to death with it, because it's going to be empty.

Robar

Post by Robar » 16 Apr 2011, 16:09

I have a different brand IWB holster that I use, but I didn't change my pants size. I have comfortable pants that are not tight. The holster just made it more snug.

As far as the Comp-Tac holsters do y'all like the standard clips or the C clips? My other holster has a J clip, and the C clip looks like a comparable alternative, but I was looking for opinions.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Apr 2011, 16:39

Standard. C-clips are made for certain belt size whereas the standards can fit/function with anything <1.5"

V clips are nice too but you should stitch velcro to the inside of your belt- just a suggestion tho.
Ospy wrote:How many waist sizes did you have to go up to accommodate this holster?
Typically it is just one, 32 becomes 34. Or if you have the option like I do - lose weight but don't change pant size :D

Ospy

Post by Ospy » 18 Apr 2011, 15:03

Okay. So I've had my Comp-Tac MTAC holster now for a couple days. I notice when I back off the tensioner screws all the way until they're loose that I'm happy with the fit and draw while the holster is in my lap. So I run the tensioner screws in until I just begin to get resistance and then an 1/8 of a turn more to be sure they don't fall out. Now while the holsters in my lap I'm still satisfied with the fit and draw. But when I put the holster on, by design, it is intended to tighten up somewhat, but I am having a real hard time drawing my weapon it's so tight and yet I feel like my pants are not too tight.

In the brochure that came with it this is lightly discussed implying that because while wearing the holster will tighten it up somewhat, it's okay to set the tensioners so that in a free state the gun would fall out when tipped upside down. But like I said, if I back the screws off all the way the gun still wont fall out. Do you think I need slightly larger rubber tensioner bushings? Has anyone else had this issue?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Apr 2011, 15:09

Might just have to break it in.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Apr 2011, 15:33

:agree:
Wear it a bit first & practice drawing. I didn't notice the issue with mine that you seem to be having. Mine was just stiff when returning the gun to the holster. Probably a break in issue.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member

Post by SHEEPDOG » 18 Apr 2011, 21:50

Like i said I have them both. A couple of point to consider: The crossbreed does not offer full gun coverage it is one size fits all. You probably will not change out spare bodies, personal experience. They both offer velcro fasteners that connect to velcro lined belts. I have tried this and though it is very concealable, the holster and the belt are locked together. I found this to be uncomfortable there is no give or movement between the holster and the belt.IMHO

Gramaton Cleric
Gold Member
custom title: Gun Kata

Post by Gramaton Cleric » 25 May 2011, 16:31

So now that im in the right forum :p I got my Spartan holster on Mon! The spartan is the same as the MTAC minus some IMHO cosmetic feature. First ill say that apparently im fat so its not as comfortable as i think it would be if i was 54 pounds lighter :facepalm: Noted. Other that that though I like it and will now work on the weight issue :skep: :facepalm: and will go from there! It looks pretty much like above. Noted. Oh order time was 5 days as well!
Aim small,Miss Small!
NRA LIFE Member
Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member

Post by SHEEPDOG » 25 May 2011, 20:40

As posted before, I have them both. After using both for a while now. I have found it easier st buy a new holster than change bodies. did it once never again. the other thing that is different if it matters to you is that the comp-tac has full coverage. The crossbreed does not. I should say that you can get the Comp-tac as a slide or full coverage. For what is worth I use the Crossbreed more than the Comp-tac. If you are having fit problems The cross breed does not have a tension adj. You have to use a blow dryer to adjust tension.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Re: Holster sources for FsN

Post by fooschnickens » 04 Apr 2012, 17:40

Picked up a Comp Tac MTAC. Was deliberating between that and a Supertuck and I'm glad I went with the MTAC. Fit and finish is just what I'd expect from them and the turnaround was much shorter than their current 3-day production estimate. Ordered Friday afternoon, shipped Monday morning, in my hands Wednesday.

I chose the MTAC over the (slightly cheaper) Supertuck for several reasons:

1) The Supertuck will only work with the firearm you buy it for. The MTAC will allow you to swap out the kydex piece with other molded pieces so if you needed to, you can use the same leather with a different pistol.

2) The Supertuck (as far as I could determine) does not have any retention adjustment. As the holster wears, it will naturally lose a bit of grip. With the MTAC you can simply tighten down the retention screws and you're good to go. Alternately, if the holster's grip is too tight, you can back them off to be able to effectively draw the pistol.

3) The Supertuck leaves a large portion of the pistol exposed. Not really a big issue since the trigger is covered, but it makes it easier for clothing fibers/hair/what have you to work its way into your pistol and can also cause the front sight to get hung up on either your clothing or the kydex shell itself. The MTAC covers the pistol all the way to the muzzle, providing much better coverage and protection against any outside interference when drawing.

4) Comp Tac offers superior belt clip and cant options. All of their belt clips allow you to not only fine-tune the cant of the pistol by adjusting how they mount to the leather backing, but will also let you raise or lower the pistol's position. Comp Tac's C-Clip, V-Clip and Standard Clip also appear to give better holster retention by their inherent designs. Their Standard Clip hooks all the way around your belt and has a flat base to keep your belt from working the clip open. Their C-Clip has an open design but offers the same amount of retention as the Standard Clip. Their V-Clip is the stealthiest of all and utilizes special industrial velcro patches that can be stitched onto your belt and makes any external signs of a holster nigh invisible. With a proper stiff belt all these clips provide an easy draw. Even on my well worn-in 13-year old leather belt works great with the C-Clips. All their clips also come in four different colors to better match your typical carry dress (black, brown, chesnut, khaki). I ordered the chestnut color and it's pretty spot-on for that typical "western" style stained belt color.

5) Short lead time. The current Supertuck lead time is around a month. Comp Tac can crank one out and have it to your door in a week flat or less.

So that's pretty much it. A lot of holster choice is down to what works for you, and to me, the MTAC makes the most sense for a comfort-driven IWB holster.

Chughes

Re: Holster sources for FsN

Post by Chughes » 15 Jul 2012, 14:07

Another thumbs up for the MTAC. Fits great, very comfortable. Rode 100+ miles today with wifey on the back, and it was rock solid. Even thru 85 mph sweepers... :D :D :D :D

blacklabelop

Post by blacklabelop » 15 Jul 2012, 18:14

I am digging those chestnut c-clips.. I need to buy a set!

blacklabelop

Post by blacklabelop » 25 Jul 2012, 03:16

Ok I am so close to pulling the trigger on these, but the kydex doesn't look like an awesome fit.. how loose is the gun in the kydex? is the only retention part holding the gun in the dimple in the trigger guard?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 25 Jul 2012, 08:51

It's a solid fit, you won't regret it. The two screws below the trigger guard are for adjusting tension.
Don't forget the leather will also conform to the gun as well.

I have never had a problem with mine working loose.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 25 Jul 2012, 16:44

Same. I had to tighten down the two screws every week as the leather conformed for the first month but it's been fine since then. No wobble or rattling around. It's solid.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

blacklabelop

Post by blacklabelop » 17 Aug 2012, 13:59

All I gotta say is bad ar$$ holster.. dream to carry, with my Ares riggers belt it is almost like no holster at all

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member

Post by SHEEPDOG » 17 Aug 2012, 15:03

I have both the crossbreed and the Comp-Tac. The clips on the Comp-Tac are plenty sturdy. They have several different styles of clips, including a Velcro clip/ belt setup that works well. I Personally prefer the Comp-Tac because it completely covers the gun. The Crossbreed is a slide type holster. The rear metal clip comes loose sometimes when sitting. IMHO.

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » 24 Apr 2013, 03:43

I went with a Comp-Tac here for my FsN. Awesome holster!!! Liked it so much, I went ahead and ordered shells for my G26 and my 1911 Officer Model. Love the holster with the G26, carry it all the time with this holster for CC. It is OK with the FsN in the winter, or with a loose t-shirt. Definitely can't tuck a shirt, unless you are carrying something like a little 380auto. Just ordered a Bladetec for OWB w/ FsN and taclight for duty around the farm.