piglet hunting

General discussion.
soap_box

piglet hunting

Post by soap_box » 08 Oct 2010, 16:34

I am ready for some south Texas piglet hunting in few weeks with my suppressed p90. I'm still not sure about using this gun on their 250 lb. uncle. :ponder:

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Re: piglet hunting

Post by Mister Freeze » 08 Oct 2010, 18:08

Take me w/you and I'll take on Uncle with my FsN and pocket knife!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 08 Oct 2010, 23:06

Mister Freeze wrote:Take me w/you and I'll take on Uncle with my FsN and pocket knife!
Don't do it. He ain't kidding. :(
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 09 Oct 2010, 09:12

Yous get the piggies and I'll tke care of momma once she's good an pissed!

Blue- You just don't have what it takes :p

soap_box

Post by soap_box » 09 Oct 2010, 13:00

i am tempted to try using my fiveseven for pig hunting but here is my delima. this is going to be silly. I use a holstered .45acp pistol - usually my hk mark23 - for 'Oh crap, I was not expecting anything that big coming out of the brush' sudden stop killing. I'm not ready to take my chances with something coming at me with south Texas teeth and have a 5.7 to knock him down. Yes we have been charged before. This is actually what happens when we all hunt suppressed. The little pigs get shot, some make a lot of noise and the big ones come out because they were not frightened by the enormous boom of a regular rifle. if you were being charged by a pig would you feel safe with a 5.7? Please let me know without stories that start out with my friends baby brother heard his friend in an arcade talking to a dude that says...............

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 09 Oct 2010, 13:38

no stories... yet

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Oct 2010, 17:36

soap_box wrote:i am tempted to try using my fiveseven for pig hunting but here is my delima. this is going to be silly. I use a holstered .45acp pistol - usually my hk mark23 - for 'Oh crap, I was not expecting anything that big coming out of the brush' sudden stop killing. I'm not ready to take my chances with something coming at me with south Texas teeth and have a 5.7 to knock him down. Yes we have been charged before. This is actually what happens when we all hunt suppressed. The little pigs get shot, some make a lot of noise and the big ones come out because they were not frightened by the enormous boom of a regular rifle. if you were being charged by a pig would you feel safe with a 5.7? Please let me know without stories that start out with my friends baby brother heard his friend in an arcade talking to a dude that says...............
Yes I'd feel safe.

Do you feel safe shooting the pig rapid fire with the 5.56 AR? Same thing to me. A person could argue semantics all they want, and how big bore is better, but that .224 round HP will tumble and cause serious damage. Also, I can put 4 rounds in 1 hole or 8 rounds on a pig sized targets within 50 feet in the time of two .45 shots.

Freeze, :p
Shoot more, worry less.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 09 Oct 2010, 19:13

I wouldn't feel comfortable at all with a 5.7x28 against a big boar. The stopping power of the round has been discussed and theorized for a long time here and on other forums but I haven't seen evidence to support the notion of quickly disabling a large, tough animal charging with malice in mind. While one shoot tight groups with the 5.7 on a range, two questions might be asked: 1) how accurate are you in an immediate life-or-death situation when the adrenaline pumps through your system, and 2) how many 5.7 rounds would it take to stop a pissed-off 200-pound boar? You are betting your life, or at least serious injury, on the answers.

For nearly a century, year-in and year-out, the .45ACP has proven itself against big and small, two-and four-legged animals. The size of the permanent and temporary wound channel has been documented for a wide variety of loads and shot placements. As far as I can discern, the 5.7 doesn't have a well-documented history of doing that. I sure wouldn't bet my life on it. And I sure as hell wouldn't bet my life based simply on claims made by 5.7x28 aficionados.

I'm not saying that the 5.7 will not do the job. I simply don't know enough about the terminal characteristics of the round to bet my life on it. Until sufficient data is accumulated to document it's capabilities against big, angry animals, I would suggest that you continue to use your .45ACP or other proven round.

soap_box

Post by soap_box » 09 Oct 2010, 19:58

Tell ya what I'll do. If the opportunity arises I will use the p90 on a 200+ pound boar and see what happens. We stallk when we hunt so were in fairly close range and see what happens. but if the crap starts going in the fan hello .45.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 09 Oct 2010, 21:07

Let us know what happens. Details, too. The results will be of interest to most of us.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 09 Oct 2010, 22:41

Sorry but there is more fact then just theory. Here is one taken by a forum member using an FsN pistol and factory ammo and not even our hot stuff.

Our X-terminaTOR loaded with a Barnes TSX bullet is selling like hotcakes out west by guys who use it for feral hogs.

Here is a vid of a member using our S5 (Not ideal for piggies in my opinion). What made the difference was the PS90 used. If it was the pistol I would stick with the X-terminaTOR.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

HeavyDMP
custom title: AutoPistol Collector

Post by HeavyDMP » 10 Oct 2010, 10:42

Ok soap_box,

I have been there and done that. I have been charged 5+ times in my life and want to relate my 5.7 experience to you. Please be advised though that I was using factory 197's at the time, and not reloading for the 5.7.

I own a piece of property out here in California (orchards) where the pigs are a constant menace. During harvest season, between them and the coyotes, they can do damage of upwards $300/day. I kill em all, big n small, with no hesitation upon site. For the last 3 years I have used nothing but handguns to do this.

Being that this is in PRK (Cali) the biggest pig I have ever killed is approx. 325Lbs. Most are around 150 to 180Lbs. Like you I normally use a .45ACP.(HK USP Fullsize) and have taken over 20 hogs of all sizes with this gun alone. Troublsome hogs get the .50AE, provided they are close to the road, and if I have it with me. Too damn heavy to chase piggy in muddy orchards with!

Anyway, one day in August of 2008, my father called me to the pig side of the ranch because he had spotted a large group of sows and squealers doing their evil deeds in our sacred groves. I had the usp and my brand new, untested, fired only by the factory, 5.7FN USG. This was the first day I had brought the gun out to the ranch(even though I had already owned it for over 8 months) and fully intended to test it out that day when I got the chance. Well this call from my dad was a better than hoped for opportunity. I know this sounds foolish, but squealers are easily caught by hand out here and I usually go for the breakaways; bottom line, limited danger even though unsure of gun functionality/ability.

When I get to the trouble zone my dad has them all grouped up using the ATV. He starts moving them toward me at a safe angle through the trees. I get out of the truck and proceed to get into position. Well, this spookes them and they all start running towards me at all different angles. Pick out a group of about 4 squealers and start ripping away! 2 down and dead straight away. Reload. New group that had initally ran backward now approaches. About 5 squealers(35-44lbs, still auburn brown)and one 160+- lb sow and one 160+-Lb boar(both black). I rip for the boar. I fire about 5 rounds, semi rapid, aimed shots, at the front and flank of the boar, maybe 25 yards. I see three hits. First to the head,(soon saw by bleeding) that it was top of the snout through the mouth, and two to the pig's right shoulder.

Well now boar and sow are pissed and angling for charge! I expected this and jump to a tree. For whatever reason sow changes her mind and runs off to parts unknown but wounded boar comes through and makes a grunting/squealing pass about 8ft away from me. With my hugging of tree and his wounding, he doesn't really commit and hobbles straight past me. I give chase firing. Score two more hits, nearly severing back left leg. Chase continues into open pasture surrounding orchards. Reload.(Last mag) Even though this pig is nursing five bullet wounds, a jacked up right shoulder, and hobbling on a completely broken/near severed back left leg, he's still outpacing me.

I do some more chasing and shooting, for 35 yards or so, stopping to aim since this is my last mag, and score one more hit somewhere on his back that makes piggy stop and turn/sit down. As I run up to get close to finish the job, he charges. I know this is it, he's out of gas. Im in the open but he's hurt bad. I think that I have at least 6 rounds left(turns out i had seven) I stand my ground and again fire five shots, aimed, in semi rapid succession from about 15yards. Score two more hits to the chest and head and he goes down SCREAMING for all the world to hear. I run up and fire to quick shots into the left ear and thats it.

+-160lb boar, NOT very aggressive as far as wounded pigs go, 7 hits including two headshots. Full penetration/damage on all hits. Can't imagine what would happen against a texas sized pig in open country or god forbid, brushland...but I wouldn't risk it with the 5.7FN. Awsome gun, kills squealers and coyotes DEAD, in my experience against 100lb+ pigs, not so much.

Recently I have started reloading for the 5.7, and have a 45 grain soft point spitzer load I could try that functions well.(Incidently with 5.7 grains of tru blu seated to~1.57 COL)(57575757575 LOLOL)(easy to remember)But I won't repeat that situation again if avoidable.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Oct 2010, 11:10

Great info, Heavy. When I go out pig hunting, I'll be sure to call up EA and test their ammunition. I brought a box to Austin from my new home way 8 hours up north, so I have 20 rounds of the S5 with me to try out. It's not much, but 5 for zeroing at 25 yds, and the rest for a few ferals animals.

One of our members a couple months ago did a headshot on a pig with ss197 and it died instantly. But when it's charging you, headshots are not always an easy task.

I'll probably take out Federal HST 147gr +P to do a SIDE BY SIDE comparison with the EA S5 on the pigs.

I'm HOPING the people that got FREE S5 to test out will also finally do their testing, so far I've only seen two reports and I'm sure others are aching for the rest to report in. Apparently there has been difficulty locating animals.
Shoot more, worry less.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 10 Oct 2010, 11:39

I have killed hundreds of hogs. I have used everything from 22 to 500 nitro express. My personal favorite is a 338 Lapua at about 600 yards. My PS90 does a great job with the S5s. I prefer to go behind the ear but they work well a little low behind the shoulder. The S5 penetrate the cartilage plate and tears up everything. IMHO they are very skittish, they are very nearsighted and they have to rely on hearing and smell. That being said, they will often turn towards what startled them and this is what some people believe as an aggressive behavior. Normally they just haul a**. If you are the direction they are running (remember they don't see well) or if you get between a sow and her pigs (don't do that) you might have a problem. if you get them or any other animal cornered you could have a problem. Any wounded animal can be dangerous. I have a scar from where a "dead" deer got me, I don't have any from hogs. The bottom line to this ramble is that most of time the stories are better than reality. :ponder:

Jay your 165 gr 10mm work great. Still waiting on my 200s.

soap_box

Post by soap_box » 10 Oct 2010, 17:59

Heavy, thanks for the input and swe123 I agree with you on the poor vision and boars running at wherever the noise comes from. I don't have any scars but we have had some close calls but hell, thats why we do it. Nobody gets a toast at the campfire for running over a wild boar with a pickup truck. Anyway, the pig poulation is enormous where we hunt so we do bait traps on some parts of the property so its got me thinking.........I kill those with a pistol why not just use the 5.7 center of skull and see what happens at 15 yards instead of point blank. video tape it and you tube! PETA would love that!

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 25 Oct 2010, 17:37

After cutting a piggies head open to retrieve my ss197 round that killed her....im completely confident in my fiveseven, I would be even more so with some ea ammo. I have the scull of the one I killed and put photos up of, that 197 really tore that pig up completely blew apart her jaw after punching through the top of her head and scrambling her brains and upper jaw lol. The five seven is a underated monster and I love it.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 25 Oct 2010, 17:46

darksidemxer wrote:After cutting a piggies head open to retrieve my ss197 round that killed her....im completely confident in my fiveseven, I would be even more so with some ea ammo. I have the scull of the one I killed and put photos up of, that 197 really tore that pig up completely blew apart her jaw after punching through the top of her head and scrambling her brains and upper jaw lol. The five seven is a underated monster and I love it.

Photos?

soap_box

Post by soap_box » 25 Oct 2010, 17:52

I used to have a pic of a 50lb. pig I shot in the head with a .300 win mag............

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 25 Oct 2010, 18:40

I can't get a link to the thread cuz im using my phone but its under 5.7 vs hog. I've dropped 2 others and both had very similar results. Im still waiting to order some ea tridents to try.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 25 Oct 2010, 19:08

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8598&hilit=vs+hog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you go, Freeze!

Somehow I was able to get the search function for me, imagine that!

:D
Shoot more, worry less.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 25 Oct 2010, 21:40

oh, those pix

aprilapple

Post by aprilapple » 19 Jan 2011, 17:48

Hopefully you chose to use the 5.7. I don't see an update. Have you tried this again? I have family who love to hunt javelina (desert pigs) out west. I prefer hunting boar in Louisiana. I use a 5.7 if I have to, usually my dogs can take down a boar (especially if I wound it). I have 3 catahoula hunting dogs.

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 08 Mar 2011, 20:33

I hate hunting in PRK. A pig hunt will run you 500buck for the weekend and that doesn't include the guide tip and all the expenses. All the damn pig are on private land. If I ever get the chance I will be introducing a hog to the business end of my 5.7 loaded with some EA rds.

Aglifter

Post by Aglifter » 21 Oct 2013, 07:51

OK, so, as the xterminaTOR round seems to be unavailable, I take it the ss197 doesn't have the best record against pigs?

I can stick w. my G20, when hunting in S.TX - its just that the 57 is much nicer to pack.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Oct 2013, 09:15

Depends on the shooter.
There is a guy who is (or was) on here who hunted oinkers with 197 all the time. IIRC, he aimed for right behind the ear & never had a problem dropping one in its tracks.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 21 Oct 2013, 11:12

Aglifter wrote:OK, so, as the xterminaTOR round seems to be unavailable, I take it the ss197 doesn't have the best record against pigs?

I can stick w. my G20, when hunting in S.TX - its just that the 57 is much nicer to pack.

T6B will work on hogs.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Aglifter

Post by Aglifter » 21 Oct 2013, 15:29

T6 seems as scarce as the other rounds. I have 100 of your protecTOR rounds. Not sure which version.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 21 Oct 2013, 23:11

Aglifter wrote:T6 seems as scarce as the other rounds. I have 100 of your protecTOR rounds. Not sure which version.

What color tip?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Aglifter

Post by Aglifter » 22 Oct 2013, 07:19

Red maybe orange. I have a hard time distinguishing similar colors.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 Oct 2013, 07:29

Pics work just as well.

Bryan5432
Silver Member

Post by Bryan5432 » 23 Oct 2013, 11:28

I'm going hog hunting in south Texas next month. Hopefully I get some T6B by then so I can try them out. If not I will try the ProtecTOR III. Has any one used these on hogs before?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 Oct 2013, 13:41

Bryan5432 wrote:I'm going hog hunting in south Texas next month. Hopefully I get some T6B by then so I can try them out. If not I will try the ProtecTOR III. Has any one used these on hogs before?

ProIII will not work and will fail.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Aglifter

Post by Aglifter » 02 Nov 2013, 19:44

OK, so I'm heading to some VERY remote country, full of Russian boars this week - not on a control hunt, just to be shown around, etc.

I have those orangey-red Protector rounds - I could look a lot number up off the box, if that would help - and I have quite a few AE rounds.

I'm presuming that what I really should carry is either my G20, or drag out my 45 colt/454 snubbie.

Also, is the 5.7 safe to shoot at snakes, etc? I'm presuming the bullet just shatters, but I thought I'd ask. (There really isn't such a thing as a nearby hospital, or an ambulance service out there.)

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 03 Nov 2013, 08:31

Safe to shoot at snakes?
It will kill snakes with no problem. It will also go through no matter which ammo you use, as will every other caliber even the .22LR. And just like every other caliber, you have to be careful of the background - if there is rock behind the snake, the bullet can ricochet.

Aglifter

Post by Aglifter » 03 Nov 2013, 16:28

OK - most likely, in that country, it will hit a rock - usually, I've been carrying JHP or lead, which just tends to flatten out.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 Nov 2013, 19:55

Aglifter wrote:OK - most likely, in that country, it will hit a rock - usually, I've been carrying JHP or lead, which just tends to flatten out.
Ugh. I'm jealous.
Shoot more, worry less.