ENJOY YOUR RIDE: COPS TOTE MACHINE GUNS ON NYC SUBWAYS...

Discuss the politics behind the gun industry.
AlphaMale

ENJOY YOUR RIDE: COPS TOTE MACHINE GUNS ON NYC SUBWAYS...

Post by AlphaMale » 30 Mar 2010, 05:26

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/rail ... vYe2LV3zTN

Rail cops go great guns
Hit city subways after Russia terror

By LACHLAN CARTWRIGHT, MURRAY WEISS and LEONARD GREENE

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/rail ... z0jfLhbnIq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stand clear of the submachine guns.

In an unusual move, a heavily armed NYPD security battalion with enough firepower to wipe out Downtown Brooklyn descended onto the city's subway trains yesterday in response to suicide bombings in Russia that killed dozens of passengers in Moscow's subway.

Bleary-eyed New Yorkers began their work weeks with a morning rush hour that featured city cops in full military gear, including helmets, goggles, body armor, sidearms and M16 assault rifles.

The underground arsenal startled sleepy straphangers, many of whom wondered whether the extra security was overkill.

"I think it's excessive," said Holly Celentang, 26, a rider from Queens. "It's Easter this week, and you have families with young kids on the subway, and I'm sure cops with machine guns would scare them.

"I feel there should have been a bit more of a thought process before they did this. We can't lose our heads over something that happened in another country and make New York City look like we are at war."

Torey Deprisest, 23, who was vacationing from Ohio, said he was stunned at the show of force.

"I think it's ridiculous," Deprisest said. "The attack happened in a different country and had nothing to do with Americans. I'd be nervous seeing cops with machine guns on the train. It makes people afraid when they don't need to be."

But other riders praised the heavily armed cop presence.

"I don't think it's overkill. We need to be protected -- you never know," said Renee Burke, 56, of Manhattan. "After 9/11, we learned the hard way that anything is possible. I feel protected when I see police riding the subway."

Joe Kerick, 46, of New Jersey, agreed, saying: "Better overkill than under-response. If the terrorists see an under-response, they may think we are vulnerable."

City and MTA officials dialed up security a few notches after two female suicide bombers blew themselves up in twin attacks on the Moscow subway system early yesterday morning, killing at least 38 people.

Officials quickly said the coordinated attacks were isolated to tensions between Russia and dissident Chechens. Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin blamed Islamic separatists in the Caucasus region, where Russian forces fought the Chechens a decade ago.

Even so, New York City authorities said they were taking no chances. Officials doubled patrols of the subway system and dispatched NYPD's heavily armed Hercules units to several transit hubs, including Penn Station and Grand Central Terminal.

Regular NYPD cops usually assigned to the city's subways overnight also were held in place so they overlapped with the day tour.

Mayor Bloomberg said authorities "did ramp up our coverage a little bit this morning" after the Moscow bombings.

"We change it every day, and for security reasons, obviously, we're not going to tell anybody what we're doing," Bloomberg said. "But you can rest assured we have great interest in what goes on around the world."

An NYPD spokesman said there was no indication that the Moscow attacks were related to anything planned against the New York City subway system.

Officials said cops made similar armed forays after 9/11 and after attacks on London's transit system in 2005 killed 52 people.

But the presence of the heavily armed cops actually on trains is rare.

Several al Qaeda-linked subway bomb plots in the city have been foiled in recent years, including a plan by Afghan immigrant Najibullah Zazi to detonate a bomb on the system.

Local Russians followed the Moscow developments closely and denounced the attacks in their home country as senseless.

"I feel so terrible," said Vladimir Traynin, 51, of Brooklyn's Brighton Beach. "I lived five minutes from where it happened, and I know the area very well. I feel scared for people's safety. They are in shock."

Oleh Kachur, 46, also of Brighton Beach, said the attack did not surprise him.

"You can predict this for now and in the future," Kachur said. "It's a problem of religion. We have to treat people equally whether they are Chechen or Russian."

The Keymaster
custom title: Keeper Of The Keys

Re: ENJOY YOUR RIDE: COPS TOTE MACHINE GUNS ON NYC SUBWAYS..

Post by The Keymaster » 30 Mar 2010, 06:02

I love the people whining about the situation. They would be the same people saying "why wasn't extra security deployed" if something bad did happen.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 30 Mar 2010, 06:41

I was in Paris many years ago and I was a little startled to see the gendarme on the streets carrying Uzis. To me, it seems the government is creeping into our lives at more and more turns of the road. This story and the recent raids in Iowa are bell weathers of how the government intends to govern. That is, it won't "govern", but assert its authority and stop any hint of insurrection or rebellion. Mark my words, it won't be long before you see people being arrested for exercising their right of free speech on the grounds that it is "hate speech". We have slipped ever deeper into totalitarianism* and we are getting to the point where there is little hope.

* From Wikipedia: "Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state, usually under the control of a single political organization, faction, or class domination, recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible."

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 30 Mar 2010, 09:15

"I think it's excessive," said Holly Celentang, 26, a rider from Queens. "It's Easter this week, and you have families with young kids on the subway, and I'm sure cops with machine guns would scare them.

Maybe it would be better for the kiddies if some towelhead blew themselves
up in front of them. One thing about us Americans is that we seem to be gettin
more self rightous and egotistical as the days go by.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 30 Mar 2010, 09:45

ddouglas wrote:I was in Paris many years ago and I was a little startled to see the gendarme on the streets carrying Uzis. To me, it seems the government is creeping into our lives at more and more turns of the road. This story and the recent raids in Iowa are bell weathers of how the government intends to govern. That is, it won't "govern", but assert its authority and stop any hint of insurrection or rebellion. Mark my words, it won't be long before you see people being arrested for exercising their right of free speech on the grounds that it is "hate speech". We have slipped ever deeper into totalitarianism* and we are getting to the point where there is little hope.

* From Wikipedia: "Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state, usually under the control of a single political organization, faction, or class domination, recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible."
Do you really believe that the raids in Iowa are something new? If you do, you might want to do a little research on a few places called Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Also, if the charges are accurate (notice I said IF), forming a well regulated (to be debated, just watch their videos) militia is fine... it's when they cross the line and start making plans to kill people that the actions of the Gov't are put into play. If indeed they were planning on killing police officers, then they are in no way to be respected simply because they were "playing guns" in the woods. A militia they were not, organized or otherwise.

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 30 Mar 2010, 09:47

Sooo......if a woman blows herself up, and everyone else around, they're going to shoot her?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 30 Mar 2010, 13:05

satellitedr3ams wrote:good. maybe my girlfriend is safe, since they wont allow her to carry in the city.

Wait... you're saying you think just because LE can use m16's that they know how to?

Not to slight any police officer on the forum, but in my experience (first hand), quite a few LE can't shoot worth a darn. I'd be more afraid of getting a stray bullet.

I don't see why having them as extra security is bad, however.
Last edited by blueorison on 30 Mar 2010, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 30 Mar 2010, 13:09

blueorison wrote:
satellitedr3ams wrote:good. maybe my girlfriend is safe, since they wont allow her to carry in the city.

Wait... you're saying you think just because LE can use m16's that they know how to?

Not to slight any police officer on the forum, but in my experience (first hand), most LE can't shoot worth a darn. I'd be more afraid of getting a stray bullet.

I don't see why having them as extra security is bad, however.
Probably just your personal experience, which may be the case for a lot of the country. In Boise, I know a lot of the cops are also in the guard or have prior military experience. At least 1/4 anyway.
Embrace the Suck

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 30 Mar 2010, 17:05

I wouldn't have a problem in this case. Why wait until we're hit before we step up security? Sure, it happened elsewhere but that does NOT mean that it wont happen here too.
The Keymaster wrote:I love the people whining about the situation. They would be the same people saying "why wasn't extra security deployed" if something bad did happen.
:agree:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 30 Mar 2010, 17:27

I'm all for increased security but I hope that's not the only thing they have cooking. They can put 100 of those fellas on each car and it won't make a damn bit of difference if they're waiting for something to react to. They'd be better served to be carrying first aid kits unless they're also stepping up profiling and searches.

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 30 Mar 2010, 19:11

hmmmm, i havent seen this yet, im headed to astor place tommorow though so i need to take the 6 so i guess il see tommorow.

I dont think its a bad idea, more security couldnt hurt

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 30 Mar 2010, 23:11

:facepalm:
Stand clear of the submachine guns.
and M16 assault rifles.
Looks like it's okay to contradict yourself in the news these days :laugh:

On a (slightly) more serious note, I'm all for ramped up security, but this is like putting a hat and legs on a poop and calling it Mr. Potato Head. It's an illusion of security. I would like to see more stringent checks and screening but I imagine that would be very costly and time consuming.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 31 Mar 2010, 03:04

It's an illusion of security. I would like to see more stringent checks and screening but I imagine that would be very costly and time consuming.
:thumb: Unless they are aggressively proactive, the first sign of something amiss will be a loud noise and a red mist.

The only crime that the presence will prevent is run of the mill thuggery, since suicide bombers aren't afraid of bullets or anything else but being stopped. They have to be nuetralized before they get anywhere near the trains.

Again, I'm fine with having them there, I just hope there's a hell of a lot more going on beneath the surface.

"You've got to nip it in the bud Andy. Nip it. In the bud"

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 31 Mar 2010, 05:28

New attacks in Russia illustrate the point:
On Wednesday, a suicide bomber detonated explosives when police tried to stop the bomber's car in the town of Kizlyar near Dagestan's border with Chechnya, Interior Minister Rashid Nurgaliyev said in televised comments.
"Traffic police followed the car and almost caught up — at that time the blast hit," Nurgaliyev said.
As investigators and residents gathered around the scene of the blast, a second bomber wearing a police uniform approached and set off explosives, killing the town's police chief among others, Nurgaliyev said.

http://holgerawakens.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ttack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 06 Apr 2010, 10:28

Wait... what raids in Iowa?