223 ....which bullet?

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

JoJo

223 ....which bullet?

Post by JoJo » 02 Aug 2012, 11:37

I will be ordering a quantity of bullets for my AR15. My reloading experience has been limited to 55gr bullets for a 1 in 9 twist barrel but my current rifle has a 1 in 7 twist. I plan on using a 77gr bullet but they are available in several configurations and I need advice as to which is best for self defense.
It seems there is not much difference in price. My brass is once fired military 5.65 with Winchester small rifle primers and a modest load of Varget

Any advice will be appreciated. :ponder:

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Re: 223 ....which bullet?

Post by flyingirish04 » 02 Aug 2012, 12:17

SD I would go with as heavy of a projectile that you can shoot out of your gun. With a round like a 5.56, short range it won't matter what type of projectile you have. It will go through too quick. Any soft point or BT will do. None are any better than the rest. Don't buy into the Hornady TAP hype, they aren't really that special. They overpenetrate at close range like any rifle round.

If you are talking longer distance shooting, 77 SMKs are good. I would look at the Berger bullet options though. As high of a BC as your gun will shoot. Twist should be fine for 77 gr OTMs, but if your rifle will shoot some of their 90 gr VLD Target bullets, that will be the best for distance. Don't use the berger stuff for close range though. Might as well be shooting ball ammo in that case.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Aug 2012, 15:45

Berger make some of the best bullets in the world. That is why we use them for our Var1 round.

GS Bullets of SA. are also some insanely accurate bullets and you will be able to buy them state side very soon.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 03 Aug 2012, 05:43

Thanks guys. :D