Mosin Nagant Ouchie!

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Mosin Nagant Ouchie!

Post by ShockedNKansas » 20 Aug 2012, 09:10

Got to shoot one of these bad boys over the weekend. It hurts, but in a good way. A really powerful rifle. I bet the Russians needed an extra shot of vodka after a long cold day of shooting these at the Germans during WWII. I now need a "Moist Nugget", especially considering they are practically free.

I read a thread about them where a guy said you can always tell how many times you shot one by looking at the lines on your shoulder - how true! My shoulder looks beat to ****.

toyslr

Re: Mosin Nagant Ouchie!

Post by toyslr » 20 Aug 2012, 10:40

I busted a blood vessel in my arm once with one! Sent about 250 rounds down range and woke up the next day with a softball size bruise on my shoulder

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 20 Aug 2012, 11:59

There's a reason why they don't build them like that anymore.
BUT, they're still really nice weapons. I know a lot of old timers that still use them to hunt with. Those, and old Springfields and Mausers.
Sometimes, it's really hard to beat a classic.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 20 Aug 2012, 13:22

I know why the russians wore those thick jackets now! It wasn't for the cold winters....

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 21 Aug 2012, 16:02

I don't get why people always complain about nuggets. I ran a nugget against my friend's SMLE on a dueling tree and after 4 clips I finally won (that last swinger was a jerk) and wasn't sore or bruised. And I'm one skinny mf'er, too.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 21 Aug 2012, 16:49

We are wimps! :)

There are a couple different kind of rounds you can fire as well. I've heard the ball ammo has a bit more punch to it. I've been studying up on Nuggets and I am hooked. I definitely need one or three. There are a lot of variations in the rifle that can affect the value. It will be fun hunting for a diamond in the rough.

On another note: talk about a great rifle to arm the average American with. They are cheap (99 bucks?), powerful, and fairly accurate at distance. They carry 5 rounds of 7.62x54mm ammo which has enough punch to obliterate (injure severely) a human threat as well as take down large game. Right now you can buy a 440rd tin of Russian surplus for 69 bucks (J&Gsales) -- that's .15/round. You could buy half a dozen of these rifles and 5,000 rounds of ammo for under a grand. That's enough to arm a small family/militia in desperate times. This rifle just moved towards the top of my SHTF plans.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 21 Aug 2012, 19:26

I've wanted one for a long time, being so cheap always pushed it down the list cause I could "always afford it" kinda deal. But I was unaware the ammo was THAT cheap!!! Yea, I'm gunna pick one up!

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 21 Aug 2012, 19:36

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm

Be sure and read up on all the variations. I'm going to treat my Nugget adventure like a treasure hunt and try to pick out a nice one.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/0 ... gant-9130/

Read this to get some tips on buying and the pitfalls that lie therein.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 21 Aug 2012, 20:38

Thank you sir!

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 30 Aug 2012, 09:53

Moist Nuggets are on sale at J&G right now for 89.00 bucks. If you have your C&R license, they will ship one straight to your home. :)

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 22 Sep 2012, 08:52

I saw some Moist Nuggets at the show today and boy were they moist. I had _ _ _ _ all over my hands from fondling them. I found one with a hex receiver, but it had been counter-bored so I passed. I think I'm going to get my C&R FFL and order some hand picked ones online. Some of these big importers have a huge selection and can probably get you a nicer one than the guy selling a small handful at his table.

OrigamiRobot

Post by OrigamiRobot » 02 Oct 2012, 11:08

Make sure you get one with lots of cosmoline. Cleaning it out is part of the Mosin experience.

Other things to note:
- The $0.15/round surplus ammo is steel core, steel case, and corrosive. You probably wont be able to use it at an indoor range and you'll need to clean your gun after every trip. That said, for that cheap, who cares.
- Make sure to get the Mosin Tool. It will help you disassemble the rifle and more importantly, check the firing pin depth.
- If you get a bayonet and it doesn't slide on with relative ease, DO NOT FORCE IT. It will get stuck.

Fun Fact: A variant was used by the legendary sniper The White Death. 505 confirmed kills using iron sights.