Weapon Lights

General discussion.
PainKillaX

Weapon Lights

Post by PainKillaX » 08 Dec 2009, 22:15

What's everyone's opinion on weapon lights? If I bought one I'm not sure how often it would get used, but at the same time I'd rather have it and not use it then not have it and need it. I'm just looking for what people think of 'em, I know in the end it'll be up o me to buy one or not. If you have used them before, what are your favorites?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Weapon Lights

Post by blueorison » 08 Dec 2009, 22:30

Walmart xenon/high output flash light.
Duct-tape.
Save a hundred bucks or two.

But if you want to be cool, look at Surefires or TRL's.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 08 Dec 2009, 22:48

Ha, I've always wondered what would actually happen if you duct taped the slide and then fired...something I'll always want to do but never will.

The one I'm looking at now is the Insight XTI Procyon http://www.insightlights.com/products-procyon.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's got a strobe feature, and a very bright output. I've also seen them for just over $100. Strobe probably isn'y neccesary but sure is cool. I may just buy a $40 airsoft light...

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 09 Dec 2009, 00:05

Looks like the TLR....and you can get them for less that 100.00 but no strobe.
I've seen some swear by it for the "distraction" it offers

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 09 Dec 2009, 02:13

werps, I meant TLR. Yeah, toys is right, you can get the flashlight for under a hundred. I believe it's the TLR-1 model. The 3 model is the compact but less powerful light. It's cheaper, though.

When I said duct-tape, I was assuming you mean for rifle applications, not handgun. With handguns I'd def. get a quality light. If you can't afford it, don't worry, the muzzle flash is sure to blind you and anything within a 30 foot radius. :lmao:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

DLL57

Post by DLL57 » 09 Dec 2009, 03:33

I keep a TLR-1 on my Glock 19. It is a nice light. VERY-Bright.

EARS

Post by EARS » 09 Dec 2009, 06:12

I have a TRL-2 on my USG. When clearing a bldg, it's the greatest. I've got Fantom sometimes on a lead, and when not I've freed my left hand to be able to have both hands on my weapon at the ready.

User42

Post by User42 » 09 Dec 2009, 19:59

Fenix makes some really good lights. I have had a tiny AAA powered 75 lumen spotlight on my keychain for a few years now. It's really only about 4cm longer and 5mm wider than than the AAA itself, and runs like a champ after years of abuse. The finish is looking worn, but its aircraft grade aluminum underneath and is rock solid all around. I wanted to take the finish completely off and just have it aluminum, but I couldn't take the finish off with a steel wire brush...
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 09 Dec 2009, 22:02

The TLR-2 is the best bang for the buck if you need a laser/light combo. I have a SureFire as well, but for half the price, the TLR-2 is 90% as good.

Mike

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 09 Dec 2009, 22:08

Well, I guess something else to consider is how much do you all value lasers? For a while I wanted the Viridian green laser (and still do, but I don't have $400 for gadgets). It too has a strobe light haha. http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catal ... 7d55f4b8b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I would really like is some Crimson Trace grips made for the FsN. But as of now, I don't see a laser as a neccessity.

dawgfan

Post by dawgfan » 09 Dec 2009, 22:14

Another satisfied TLR-2 user here. :thumb:

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 09 Dec 2009, 22:26

The TLR-1 is just the light. No laser. It's also less than half the price of the TLR-2. I have seen the TLR-1 for 89 bucks before.

I like red lasers. I know people who have has issues with the green lasers, especially in the cold weather. The green lasers are too damn expensive anyway.

Mike

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Post by ChuckD » 09 Dec 2009, 23:02

Green lasers suck if you live anywhere below freezing.

Mine stopped working in freezing weather once.
I then sold it to someone in a warmer climate.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 09 Dec 2009, 23:04

That's something I did not know. Gosh I love it here.

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Post by ChuckD » 10 Dec 2009, 11:47

Somewhat intoxicated last night when I posted.

I'll explain now. The Lasermax green worked but would dim to nothing over the course of a minute. As long as it was kept indoors and introduced to cold environments shortly it wasn't too bad.
LaserMax used proprietary technology to engineer the 5 mW Uni-Greens to work between 40 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Quoted from their website.

After it was cold, the laser would not shine and if you looked into the laser, you would just see a tiny dim red dot.
I was unaware of this when originally purchased, as it was summer time and I didn't care. It then became cold one evening and sold shortly there-after. It worked perfectly when it worked, but the environment around here would mean it wouldn't reliably work roughly 4 months out of the year.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 10 Dec 2009, 12:09

Have TLR-1 & 2's, if your needing one. I run a surefire on my PS90 and on my
M-4 I run a 500 series weaponlight . All are good but the TLR's are solid for the
price.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 11 Dec 2009, 23:23

I've got an X200 surefire, I live that bisch, its the B model with a wide dispersion of light, and I picked it up dirt cheap, $50 bucks, barely a week out of the wrapper... From a fellow airsofter... Who just didn't fancy it's use any longer.

It does eat batteries, but I'd assume that has something to do with the amount I play with it.

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 12 Dec 2009, 00:09

Perhaps I'll alienate everybody- not the first time... Anyway, ever wonder why PDs which have cops carry for life and death daily do NOT put lights on weapons? 'Nuff said. If you have one, enjoy and no offense intended.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 12 Dec 2009, 01:33

Because they get more use out of a solo flashlight, and have no need for redundancies. For those of us with out huge, bulk, duty belts...

romer522

Post by romer522 » 12 Dec 2009, 03:26

I think the overall application for cops is just different than a home defense situation. I like being able to manipulate both gun+light with one hand especially if I need the other for a cell phone.

Cops have too many situations where they just need a light and have no cause to draw their weapon, and because of that they will likely already have a flashlight in their hand when the need to draw down arrises, at that point I would imagine it just being easier to use the light you already have out. Especially considering that it would take serious training to get the muscle memory for "weaponlight, on" in a real situation. But I can march around my house all night long weapon out and not have anyone sue me.

I don't think they are good for daily carry, but for around the house weapon light >> hand held IMHO particularly on an FSN where your trigger finger is used to manipulating stuff.