New Member Introduction

General discussion.
Cwc

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by Cwc » 29 Mar 2013, 18:11

Welcome to the forum Ken. I started in the opposite order as you. I perfected some really good loads for the 5.56 and then started experimenting with the 5.7. The reloading section has a wealth of knowledge.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 29 Mar 2013, 19:58

Great to see some new names here. I look forward to what you have to offer. Not as many posts about shooting lately, with this little ammo shortage we are going through. This too, shall pass.

Some pretty good amateur comedians here too. Welcome aboard.

Lomotil
custom title: Resident Pacaholic

Hiya guys!

Post by Lomotil » 17 May 2013, 16:56

Hello there, I suppose I should've made my first post here, as my one reply to an existing thread, and subsequent new topic are awaiting approval from a moderator before going live.

There's a funny story that I always have to share whenever the Five-seveN (or F2F transactions) comes up in discussion, and in my formal introduction, I feel it only proper to share it with you fine folks.

I stumbled upon a rather amazing deal on my pistol via an online marketplace site. It turned out that I was in a relatively close proximity to the seller, and we exchanged a few emails about the possibility of meeting in person to avoid the added expense of shipping and FFL fees. After I produced a link to the actual government literature that silenced his concerns about the legality of such a transaction, we agreed on a price, and a meeting was to follow.

I end up meeting this fellow in his downtown corner office, several floors up, and with a great view of his city. Now, on my way into the building, I had asked the fellow at the security booth (which I had to pass) where the water fountain was, and he gave me directions - running late, I told the fellow that I'd have to hit it on my way out. The importance of this event will become clear in a few moments. The seller and I had a nice chat about firearms in general, the reason he also had a 50 cal up for sale on the same site (the muzzle brakes would blow off the screens on either side of his booth at the shooting range,) and the Second Amendment. It was quite an enjoyable visit, and coincidentally, the least amount of money I've had to spend while talking to any attorney, much less an actual partner in his law firm.

At the end of our visit, the pistol (in like-new condition, complete with all three magazines and all the original accessories in the original case) easily fit into the briefcase that I had brought with me. The 1,400 rounds of ammo (in the original shipping box,) and the hard-molded custom holster, obviously did not fit.

The gravity of my situation wouldn't dawn on me until shortly after I entered the elevator to leave.

The doors opened, and there were 4-5 suits in the elevator on their way down, engaged in a conversation. I enter, turn my back toward them, briefcase in left hand, and a box that plainly stated it was housing 2,000 rounds of ammunition under my right arm.

I was still ignorant at that point. But then, I started to notice that the elevator got very quiet, and the last words spoken were repeated three times, as if someone was in the middle of a story, got distracted, and their mouth was still trying to tell the story.

Then it dawned on me.

I live in a border state, I had a pistol with a very well-known reputation on my person, and a ton of ammo under my arm to feed it. And I'm heading down toward the ground level of a major national bank building (in the CENTER of a VERY Liberal city.) If that weren't enough, I still have to pass by that same security booth on my way out, and might possibly need an excuse for not wanting to visit the water fountain on the other side of the 15-some-odd bank tellers.

Longest elevator ride of my life. Probably for the suits behind me, too. Heh, thinking back, I hope at least one of them was thankful he was wearing black that day.

I shot outta that elevator with a rather rushed pace, smiled and thanked the fellow at the security booth (of which there were three by then,) and swiftly left through the exit. Got to my car, let out a sigh of relief, then bolted out of the parking garage faster than $hit through a goose.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 18 May 2013, 03:44

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the funny story.

I probably would have gotten myself into some serious trouble because I typically tend to capitalize on those situations by doing something... provocative. In this case, once I noticed that the suits became silent, I probably would have silently stared at them with a huge grin on my face for bout 15 seconds. Then I would say, with an even bigger grin, "I've got new socks on."

After that just walk out of the elevator.

Yeah, jail would have been an interesting experience...
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 18 May 2013, 06:04

Welcome, Lomotil!

That is quite a story! :)

Thanks for sharing, it was fun to read.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 19 May 2013, 14:35

Welcome Lomotil! Did you pick a name of a medicine on purpose?

Lomotil is a medication used to treat severe diarrhea :laugh:
كاف

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 19 May 2013, 15:47

Tincture of Opium works better for the same problem

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 19 May 2013, 18:09

But that's a schedule 2 drug. It's also addictive, hence the schedule 2 rating.
كاف

Lomotil

Post by Lomotil » 04 Jun 2013, 10:43

jmz5 wrote:Welcome Lomotil! Did you pick a name of a medicine on purpose?

Lomotil is a medication used to treat severe diarrhea :laugh:
It was on purpose. I've been using "Lomotil" since the early days of the Internet (as a user-name, not the medicine itself.)

I was a pharmacy tech at the time, and I thought it was odd that there was a schedule V narcotic used to treat chronic diarrhea. In fact, I thought it was downright hilarious. I envisioned frat parties where crushed up tablets were sprawled out on a coffee table, and snorted by new pledges as a form of hazing. The whole mental image would get even more detailed, and I just found the notion so amusing that I adopted the name. As it turns out, Lomotil is, in fact, a very weak member of the opiate family, so that's why it found it's way into the controlled substances list.

True story. In fact... "No sh!t." Image

For those that are unfamiliar with the scheduling, medications are listed in "Schedules" according to their abuse potential. Schedule V is the lowest controlled substance level out there, and includes Lomotil, some weak codeine cough syrups, etc. Next up is IV, which is where you find things like Xanax, Klonopin, and Restoril* (funny side-story to follow.) Then you have some of the more fun stuff in Schedule III, your Vicodin, Codeine, etc. When it comes to Schedule II, these are even more restricted, detailed prescribing/dispensing/inventory records are kept by the states. These are your strongest prescribed painkillers, Oxycontin, Duragesic (the 3-day transdermal pain patch,) Marinol, and your amphetamine-family of drugs (Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta.) Schedule I are drugs that are not to be prescribed, includes medications that are still "under study" to determine if they possess any redeeming qualities. This is where you'll find all the natural substances that can't be patented, too.

* If I recall correctly, Restoril (Temazepam) is required by the FDA to be prescribed in blister-packs only, as a response to the problem some people would have when flying. One of the side-effects of Restoril is short-term memory loss, and people were getting on flights, taking a nap, then being woken up when the plane lands and freaking out because they didn't remember getting on a plane or where they were going. As if putting them in blister packs would solve the problem of people taking more than one at a time.

Lomotil

Post by Lomotil » 04 Jun 2013, 10:46

Also, I have to mention, I got a little chuckle out of one of the "checkmark option" description below the reply box:
Attach a signature (signatures can be altered via the UCP)
:laugh:

Lomotil

Post by Lomotil » 04 Jun 2013, 10:49

jgreenberg01 wrote: Then I would say, with an even bigger grin, "I've got new socks on."
:lmao:

That's positively GOLDEN. Love it!

I think I'm going to start saying that at work during awkward times...

Thanks for all the nice welcomes, guys!

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 06 Jun 2013, 03:55

Lomotil wrote:
* If I recall correctly, Restoril (Temazepam) is required by the FDA to be prescribed in blister-packs only, as a response to the problem some people would have when flying. One of the side-effects of Restoril is short-term memory loss, and people were getting on flights, taking a nap, then being woken up when the plane lands and freaking out because they didn't remember getting on a plane or where they were going. As if putting them in blister packs would solve the problem of people taking more than one at a time.
They must have repealed that, Temazepam comes in bottles. Unless that is a brand name thing, but no one dispenses brand anymore.
كاف

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 07 Jun 2013, 20:15

Hello. I've been lurking/posting on this forum for some three and a half months now, but I didn't want to formally introduce myself until I could supply pics. :D I've been a hunting, shooting, and reloading enthusiast for almost thirty years (ever since I got out of high school), and, as my username indicates, I love loading for and shooting hand cannons. However, I also like smaller caliber guns for hammering at small game like coyotes and prairie rats (dogs), and usually use a .223 or 22-250 for those endeavors. For years I've wanted to get a Les Baer Ultimate AR chambered for the .204 Ruger, but have never had the money to spare on the rare occasions I have found one available. It seemed like an ideal plinking and small game gun with light recoil and high capacity semi-auto function.
About four months ago, a friend of mine invited me to take a conceal/carry class, which turned out to be given by a couple FNH salesmen (http://www.reactiontoviolence.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Needless to say, it was a blast. We each shot about a hundred rounds through various guns of different calibers, including a FiveseveN and a short barrel P90. It was at that point I fell in love with the 5.7 x 28mm. I must confess, at that point, my knowledge of the 5.7 was limited to nonexistent. I spent the next couple weeks researching the 5.7, during which I also ran across this forum, until I finally decided I wanted a PS90, and put myself on a wait list for one. My one reservation about starting a new caliber like the 5.7 was the lack of anyone who manufactures/sells unfired 5.7 brass. I handload most of my ammo, and that seemed like the biggest downside to it. :facepalm: Starline or someone else needs to get on the ball and start making some. Meanwhile, while waiting for my gun, I spent well over $1K on accessories ranging from an EOTech 552, to three sets of reloading dies (Lee, RCBS, and RCBS small base), magazines, powder, bullets, an Otis 5.7 cleaning kit, and limited amounts of factory ammo that I could find at reasonable prices. Well, I finally got my PS90 last weekend, and below are pics. This is gonna be fun!! :D

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Jun 2013, 20:24

Cool welcome to the forum

Was Pete one of the instructors?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 07 Jun 2013, 20:41

Welcome!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 07 Jun 2013, 20:59

panzermk2 wrote:Cool welcome to the forum

Yep. That's who I bugged and got the PS90 from. :)

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Jun 2013, 23:25

500SWfan wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:Cool welcome to the forum

Yep. That's who I bugged and got the PS90 from. :)

Old buddy of mine.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

KAR

Post by KAR » 14 Jun 2013, 20:06

Hi, I'll try to keep this short. I've been shooting and reloading for over 20 years. For the last several years I have wanted a Five Seven...thanks to a friend of mine taunting me with his. With today's political climate I figured I had better purchase one while I can. I bought two of them a couple of months ago...one black with fixed sights and one FDE/adjustable sights. Now I carry a Five Seven everywhere I go. I have just gotten set up for reloading and have found this site to be a great resource. Thanks everyone, for all the information.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 15 Jun 2013, 08:19

Welcome.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 16 Jun 2013, 18:34

Welcome y'all!