Epic Movie Thread

General discussion.
MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Epic Movie Thread

Post by MrSlippyFist » 11 Sep 2008, 16:56

The thread should be epic, not the movies. I'll be the judge on whether or not the movie is epic (you may entertain me with your opinion as well). We had a thread similar to this on the old forum. We discussed remakes and summer hits.

I'll start off with a trailer I just saw, The Day the Earth Stood Still. I am Immediately pissed that they would touch a classic, the same response I get with pretty much every remake. The trailer showed towns and the townsfolk being obliterated, which didn't happen in the original. What's next? One of the Hanson boys playing Audie Murphy in 'To Hell and Back' ?
Embrace the Suck

Grantness

Re: Epic Movie Thread

Post by Grantness » 11 Sep 2008, 17:04

i agree. They shouldnt have touched that one.

Most epic movie of all time: Battlefield Earth! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Earth_(novel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

LOL...just forget I brought that up.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 11 Sep 2008, 17:06

Movies about cults are fair game!

/Scientology sucks. But if I was rich, i'd probably make my own religion too.
Embrace the Suck

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 11 Sep 2008, 17:12

Miracle at St. Anna

Looks decent from the trailer, but it's Spike Lee. Clint Eastwood called him a douche recently, so I have to consider the possibility that he is indeed a douche.
Embrace the Suck

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 11 Sep 2008, 17:15

The Onion movie. I haven't seen it but I know there are fans here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-u8oyZAgeY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 11 Sep 2008, 17:18

I must defend Battlefield Earth as Epic -- an Epic failure, with epic amounts of money spent by epic douchbags who follow an epic disaster of a "religion".

It's, well, epic.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 11 Sep 2008, 17:19

+1. Never seen it. I think I retain a couple more IQ points as a result.
Embrace the Suck

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 11 Sep 2008, 17:33

I got the inspiration to revive this (one-sided on my part) suckfest after finally watching the Transformers movie.

I know I'll get some sh*t from Fly on this. I have to praise it for the special effects. That's what kept me watching. They were frickin awesome. But anyone who is over 25 yrs old who actually watched the cartoons or has any type of tactical background can pick it apart scene by scene. It's a good thing I didn't watch it in a theatre because I probably would have had 18 year old pricks throwing their fancy cell-phones and $14 sodas at me. The ending scenes with all the marines doing battle drills that even boyscouts know wouldn't work had me screaming at the TV in my hotel room. FLANK, FLANK YOU FUGGIN PANZIES. But the effects were sweet. And the chick who was after the pansy ass main character was HAWT. I almost had a tear from Prime's speech at the end. Almost, if I wasn't looking for a cat to kick because of all the madness.

And then I found out that in the second movie, they will have a Devastator, but it won't be made from the construction-bots, and it won't look or act or really be anything like the original. Why bother if you aren't going to honor the original??

More about that here:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2008/09/dev ... mers_2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Embrace the Suck

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 11 Sep 2008, 18:30

Heheh, I like how the predator drone flies at about 15 feet AGL in the beginning... And WHY DID THE FRIGGIN BLACKHAWK HAVE TO DIE??? Those sonsofbeotches. At least some of those nancy boy tea-sippin-with-their-pinkies-stickin-out 'he's just a friend' chair force F22 pilots got their just desserts from Starscream.

I actually got a kick out of the radio babble when the transformer CH53 is inbound and they keep saying random things like "squak ident."

I imagine the conversation went like this in the writers room:

"Hey, we need some aviation words and stuff... Tom, you play Flight Simulator, want to fill in the blanks?"

But you can't beat kick ass lines like "Bring the rain!"

Of course I am still tryin' to figure out what exactly a "high heat" SABOT is... Which is apparantly manufactured in every calibre? But I still really like the movie, don't get me wrong. At least they didn't present the military personnel as having some sort of internal struggle about the meaning of right and wrong and good and evil and blah blah blah -- it was just "those are the bad guys, blow them up!"

Yes, it was an Epic Movie. Geeze, you made me rant. Bastard.

Now, if you want to consider suicide, watch "Letters From Iwo Jima". Good GAWD. I thought the film was really good, and heartbreaking (despite being about the enemy) but JEEZE I kept waiting for a joke to break the tension.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Sep 2008, 20:37

Did you guys see they are making another Beverly Hills Cop? Will still have Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley too. Supposed to be released summer 2010
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

ArtosDracon
Banned

Post by ArtosDracon » 11 Sep 2008, 22:48

Why if the holy name of F are they making a new beverly hills cop, the first one was funny, the second one was funny, the third one was really starting to push it but, a fourth one, 20 something years later, come the F on?

As for transformers, you have to watch it similarly to Wanted, it was bright and flashy and there was a lot of shooting and a h0t chick but, it's pretty much better on mute, like those pussycat dolls "music videos." Try watching it in a language you don't understand, it makes a little more sense.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 Sep 2008, 22:50

I just thought it was cool that those guys were wearing the same unit patch that i served with on my ACUs for a bit in the dez. I didn't catch it at first, but my little cousin who I sent a bunch of my extra combat patches to (couldn't wear them when I got back to the regular ole fleet) recognized it. Score one for that.

I found it entertaining, but yeah, I agree with Wally, there is no way an AF CC would ever say something like that over the net. IF he did, he would catch so much shit from the other PJs and CCs that heard about that. And the squawk IDENT was priceless. The other part I didn't understand is how Prime killed that Buffalo so quickly with his autobot bowie knife, and yet, never used it again???

Other than that, the movie was entertaining, and the character John Turturo played was priceless. He reminded me of some of those G2X guys at division that took pride in having a security badge with 6 or 7 on it. BTW, that aussie chick was SMOKING HOT. DOn't get me wrong, Megan Fox was hot, but damn that other girl was gorgeous.

Shit, now I am ranting...about Transformers. Damn it Slippy, now you made me go nerd for five minutes.

Maybe not epic, but I am looking forward to 'Righteous Kill' with DeNiro and Pacino. Could be good, though lately, movies have disappointed me.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 12 Sep 2008, 05:46

I too am looking forward to Righteous Kill. Those cop dramas are way over the edge in terms of taking themselves too seriously (think "The Departed") but I enjoy them nonetheless, considering the writing is at least a bit better than, say, lethal weapon 4.

I loved "Heat", which I think might be the best cops and robbers movie of all time. I am also a big fan of the more realistic shootout (though by no means extremely realistic). At least it showed them doing transitions, magazine changes, shouldering weapons properly, etc. Few things bug me more than those movies where everyone goes crazy on full auto shooting from the hip, with cars exploding all over the place.

I get a much bigger sensation of suspence in a movie that displays a firefight in at least moderatly a believable fasion, since it has a way of hitting home a bit. But then again, sometimes it's better to turn off your brain and watch a robot tank battle with an eighteen wheeler with an overdeveloped sense of morality.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 12 Sep 2008, 07:04

I really enjoyed 3:10 to Yuma with Christian Bale. The problem is, I love the old west, so that may be jading me a bit.
The gun play was a little over the top, but I thought the timing and story was great.

The last big scene was pretty epic, the roof top running, gunning and dodging was awesome, and the ending... well, if you haven't seen it, I won't blow it, but I can honestly say I didn't see that one coming!

Zhur

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 12 Sep 2008, 07:08

Oh yeah! 3:10 to Yuma was very good! I like the last scene as well, where he is running through all of the incomplete buildings. What happens at the end is good for the story, in my opinion.

I liked Open Range also. Have you seen the trailer for Appaloosa? I think it will be great

http://welcometoappaloosa.warnerbros.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 12 Sep 2008, 07:23

Battlefield Earth was a good movie. Not epic. But a good movie.
Transformers was entertaining. AWESOME special effects, yes. Not epic, but a good movie.
Gladiator was almost an epic. Almost.
Conan was almost an epic. Almost.
The Ten Commandments with President Heston was epic.
Alexander sucked.
SWAT rocked.
Pirates were good movies.
Jumper was a good movie.
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a pretty good movie.
Pathfinder was a good movie.
But none were epic.
What constitutes a TRUE epic these days? I mean, you can make almost anything with computer graphics.
Would 300 be an epic today? If it were made 30 years ago to the same level it would be considered an epic just for the number of 'people' involved and the 'effects', but today?
300 ...Epic.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 12 Sep 2008, 07:26

Alexander sucked.
Literally and figuratively.

I think that truly epic movies, humor aside, are in line with what you are saying. Movies like Ben Hur are, by my own definition, "epics".

I think that a movie is an epic if it presents an expansive and well developed story, great acting and superior writing. But, most importantly, it must have staying power -- I dont think anyone will care about "300" 40 years from now, but folks still recognize the Ten Commandments as a true piece of film history.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 12 Sep 2008, 07:33

In that case, who can say they still don't get a little chill when the Correllian Cruiser passes from center top to center, and then the Star Destroyer comes into view... I literally get chills every time I watch it. So I add Star Wars:A New Hope to the list. Thirty years old and still a WOW in my book. Epic indeedly!

Zhur

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 12 Sep 2008, 07:36

I could accept that. But if you add ANY of the new movies to the list, you are off your rocker.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 12 Sep 2008, 08:19

Oh, I dunno. I think 300 will stand the test of time.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**