cheap vs. expensive lasers

General discussion.
FSNTAC

cheap vs. expensive lasers

Post by FSNTAC » 22 Mar 2009, 06:22

I am seeing some lasers in the 20-30$ price range.
What are the pros and cons of these compared to the lasers that sell for 200$ plus?

eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

Re: cheap vs. expensive lasers

Post by eagleshotz » 22 Mar 2009, 06:32

I am no expert on lasers, but with some personal experiences and reading some feedbacks on cheap and expensive lasers I say is you pay for what you get.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 Mar 2009, 08:18

The red lasers are fairly cheap these days. The green ones still cost a lot but are better.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

romer522

Post by romer522 » 22 Mar 2009, 13:13

The extra $$ you pay for a high end laser is so that it will stay zeroed, i have never seen a cheap laser hold true whatsoever.

Hound7

Post by Hound7 » 22 Mar 2009, 13:36

Read up on IR filters and ruggedness. I've seen posts on lasers that wouldn't adjust, break after a week etc. Of bigger concern is the IR safety issue, especially in the higher output green lasers--red lasers are generally safer.

I am not a laser geek nor do I play one on the web, so here is a link:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forum ... 6223215/11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many of the cheap chinese lasers overstate their output by omitting the IR filter and measuring the IR in addition to the laser output. This results in a more dangerous, less bright, laser. Having stated that, I have a very inexpensive green laser that I will install an inexpensive filter (not cheap, they just don't cost that much) in and will have a very bright green laser that is safer.

Having known then what I know now, I may have opted for the brightest red I could afford. The green I have is like a light saber, you can see the beam (not just the spot) indoors no problem. I haven't tried it outside yet, but don't think I will have any difficulty seeing the spot at great distance, not sure about the beam.

Hound7

Post by Hound7 » 22 Mar 2009, 14:19

Here's a web blog on the subject worth reading:

http://www.felesmagus.com/pages/lasers-cheap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FSNTAC

Post by FSNTAC » 22 Mar 2009, 16:04

good responses, thanks....

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 22 Mar 2009, 18:49

high end lasers are easier to zero, hold their zero, and the battery life is extended.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND CHEAP LASERS, please learn from my mistake.

Heavyarms

Post by Heavyarms » 25 Mar 2009, 04:25

Sort of like the nice looking cheap flashlights. Look good and tuff but don't always work. I have gotten a few of the cheapy lights and lasers from others to try and make them work better.

I think the best way to put it is, If your life may depend on the use of an item. would it be worth the extra cost for quality?........Hal

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 25 Mar 2009, 05:01

I have made the mistake of purchasing a cheap green Chinese laser for about a hundred bucks. It was pretty big. It also stopped working very shortly after I got it.

Id spend the money on proven quality.

Fudd

Post by Fudd » 26 Mar 2009, 05:46

What are you looking for - red, green or IR?

For those people who like to work in the dark, there's a good thread over at arfcom on building a reliable IR unit by replacing the laser module in a Beamshot 1000 with a commercially available IR diode. Pretty much plug and play.

I won't trade in my DBAL-A2, but I've got the bits ordered for this one as a candidate to mount on a S&W P99 .45ACP for "housework".

User42

Post by User42 » 29 Mar 2009, 10:26

Powerful lasers have a "duty cycle" limit depending on the heat produced and the quality of the diode/heat sink. Keep that in mind if you are going to buy a powerful Chinese laser, they may have been pushing the diodes well past their cooling ability, limiting the laser to 1-2 min bursts before needing 30 seconds to cool. You can make a pretty good burning laser with just a DVD burner diode, a penlight type of case, and lots of button cell batteries, but to avoid burning it out you would need to keep it to 10-20 second bursts with at least 30 seconds to cool in between.

Also, +1 on the IR filtering deal.
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.