Over a pair of shoes?!?!

General discussion.
Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Over a pair of shoes?!?!

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Jun 2013, 16:11

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 35252.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greedy shoe companies making select sneakers needlessly exclusive paired together with consumer exuberance, desperation, and American gun culture on Saturday long enough to cost one would-be alleged robber his life. Shoppers waiting in line to purchase the latest incarnation of LeBron James’ signature shoe outside Atlanta were being harassed by a reported pickpocket until one patron decided to pull a gun out and shoot the as-yet unidentified man in what is being considered a move motivated by self-defense.
Police have not charged anyone and for now consider the shooting to be self-defense. No additional information was being released Sunday morning, said Officer John Chafee, an Atlanta Police Department spokesman.
There has to be more to this story than they are telling. Self defense is when one's life is in danger so unless the pick-pocket was armed, I don't see how they can get away with it.
I guess there are the stand your ground laws (dunno if Atlanta has them) but that is still life or well being in danger right?

Is it legal to just shoot thieves on the street now?

There is one instance where I can see shooting an unarmed pick-pocket is self-defense & that's if the doofus was trying to pick your gun.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: Over a pair of shoes?!?!

Post by Cyberfly » 23 Jun 2013, 16:44

Unless the pickpocket was caught, confronted, an altercation ensued and he either pulled a knife or some other weapon...
But you're right. The way this is written, there simply isn't enough information for anybody to truly make an informed opinion. I can't see how LE can let a guy go for shooting someone unprovoked.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 23 Jun 2013, 18:22

Does taste in footwear enter the equation?
Embrace the Suck

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Jun 2013, 18:55

Cyberfly wrote:Unless the pickpocket was caught, confronted, an altercation ensued and he either pulled a knife or some other weapon...
Yeah, then I could see it but the article doesn't mention anything about the thief being armed. Of course, it also doesn't say that the BG wasn't armed.
MrSlippyFist wrote:Does taste in footwear enter the equation?
Were that the case, everyone in line would have been shot.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 24 Jun 2013, 04:38

TX recognizes the defense of self, property, or a third party. What's in my pocket, even the lint, is techically defensible with lethal force from IMMINENT dammage or loss.

jckilla
custom title: jckilla

Post by jckilla » 24 Jun 2013, 12:35

Someone keyed my car the other day so bad, looks like they used a screwdriver down the entire passenger side. I wish the police even gave a <profanity> to look at the video from the Frys Grocery parking lot where it happened. And I was parked in a handicapped spot, ( yes, I have a tag, and it's even more evil of someone to go after someone's car that clearly states disabled ) - I wish i could have been there to catch them, granted I wouldn't have done anything stupid, not even draw down on them, but I wish the laws in this country allowed for defense of property, ie- putting a few T-6 rounds in the chest of the POS that did it. Sorry to have disrupted this thread, just can't believe how twisted some people are - a sickening state of the union

huddleston101

Post by huddleston101 » 24 Jun 2013, 14:29

jckilla wrote:Someone keyed my car the other day so bad, looks like they used a screwdriver down the entire passenger side. I wish the police even gave a <profanity> to look at the video from the Frys Grocery parking lot where it happened. And I was parked in a handicapped spot, ( yes, I have a tag, and it's even more evil of someone to go after someone's car that clearly states disabled ) - I wish i could have been there to catch them, granted I wouldn't have done anything stupid, not even draw down on them, but I wish the laws in this country allowed for defense of property, ie- putting a few T-6 rounds in the chest of the POS that did it. Sorry to have disrupted this thread, just can't believe how twisted some people are - a sickening state of the union
dang jc sorry about your car, yea the police should have looked at the video that's called doing there job. got to love how our tax dollars are spent :facepalm: there are a few bad apples in every basket but not all are bad.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson

eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

Post by eagleshotz » 24 Jun 2013, 19:48

Heres the video for it.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 Jun 2013, 20:21

Thanks eagle, that explains much better than the article did.

BG got what was coming to him.

"America, where even a gunfight can't keep you from missing out on buying ugly, overpriced shoes."

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 25 Jun 2013, 02:02

I refer back to my original post in this thread.

Sometimes I enjoy being correct.
Should have known it would be easy if the POPO is gonna let the shooter walk without any kind of charges being filed.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 25 Jun 2013, 09:43

I guess LeBron's shoes were," to die for"...