FN-57 Prices

General discussion.
NYPD3765

FN-57 Prices

Post by NYPD3765 » 04 Feb 2013, 15:12

With this impending doom hanging over our collective heads, AR-15 prices have gone through the roof. Ok that is to be expected. What I forgot about was my little ole' fn-57, my friend just got $2500 for a case of ammo (the 2000 round case) and prices for the 57 are $2500-$3000. I think that is insane. Cabala's in Glendale cannot keep Powder or reloading supplies in stock. When I last went, it was 4 deep at the counter. I guess my few guns in the safe have doubled and tripled in value. Obama is making me a rich man.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: FN-57 Prices

Post by blueorison » 04 Feb 2013, 15:20

NYPD3765 wrote:With this impending doom hanging over our collective heads, AR-15 prices have gone through the roof. Ok that is to be expected. What I forgot about was my little ole' fn-57, my friend just got $2500 for a case of ammo (the 2000 round case) and prices for the 57 are $2500-$3000. I think that is insane. Cabala's in Glendale cannot keep Powder or reloading supplies in stock. When I last went, it was 4 deep at the counter. I guess my few guns in the safe have doubled and tripled in value. Obama is making me a rich man.
Sir, the prices for the FsN is not $2500-3000.

Only a small number FsNs in the entire world sold for that, on Gunbroker. And only a small percentage out of the entire FsN population in the world sold for more than $2000.

The panic is subsiding, and FsNs are selling for under $1500-1700.

AR pricing has increased, substantially. However, there are many companies that have only raised their prices over 20%. I wouldn't consider that "through the roof".

Sometimes, if we step back and look at the big picture, we can stand on more solid ground.

I mean that, respectfully. :thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Feb 2013, 16:34

Although ammo prices & availability are still insane.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 04 Feb 2013, 17:26

I have sold two Five-seveNs recently. One sold for $2,300 with 850 rounds of ammo. The other sold for $3,400 but included over 1,800 rounds of ammo. I sold both on GunBroker for relatives. I still have mine.

Prices are definitely crazy.

I was looking for a Colt lower with small pins. If I pay today's prices for one, it will cost more than I could buy an entire Colt LE Carbine for a few months ago.

Mike

NYPD3765

Post by NYPD3765 » 05 Feb 2013, 14:01

At a Phoenix gun show FN57 new in box $2800 no ammo, crossroads of the west gunshow. A swap meet in Prescott Valley A 57 $2500 used but with 6 20 round magazines. I think they have at least doubled. I don't know what the supply is like where you live Blue Orison, but around here in Arizona supply can't keep up with demand. Also we have few gun laws in AZ., and everybody is packing . My friend John sells"factory fresh ammo" and says the 57x28 is the hardest to keep in stock. I didn't even think the FN 57 was that popular out here in AZ, usually I'm the only one who is shooting mine.So Blue orison unless you live around the corner from me,and have studied the fn 57 market in AZ, I have to respectfully say you may be incorrect in your assumption.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 Feb 2013, 15:29

I think 5.7 ammo is hard to keep in stock because it rare to start with. Therefore, a lot of people who do shoot it, hoard it. I used to have ~5000 rounds of it. Now I have ~2500 rounds to reload :laugh:

noclue

Post by noclue » 05 Feb 2013, 17:11

The gun store here just sold a new one fo $1300. & tax

eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

Post by eagleshotz » 05 Feb 2013, 19:23

I think 5.7 ammo is hard to keep in stock because it rare to start with.

Really? I should have bought more when I had the chance. Now I cannot even find 1 box. :wall:

NYPD3765

Post by NYPD3765 » 06 Feb 2013, 10:57

I am hoping the initial scare is over. I am starting to see some ammo back in the stores. I am also starting to see AR-15 prices starting to stabilize. I talked to my friend at a major firearms distributor in the area and he says they are starting to catch up, and in the next flyer they will have one brand or another AR going for around $1000 advertised price. I hope this was just a hiccup, because I do like to shoot and I don't like to hoard. It really does us no good if gun prices are high and ammo is unavailable. I think the only thing I would do when the prices come back down is buy some extra Hi-cap mags.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 06 Feb 2013, 12:27

NYPD3765 wrote:I am hoping the initial scare is over. I am starting to see some ammo back in the stores. I am also starting to see AR-15 prices starting to stabilize. I talked to my friend at a major firearms distributor in the area and he says they are starting to catch up, and in the next flyer they will have one brand or another AR going for around $1000 advertised price. I hope this was just a hiccup, because I do like to shoot and I don't like to hoard. It really does us no good if gun prices are high and ammo is unavailable. I think the only thing I would do when the prices come back down is buy some extra Hi-cap mags.
:thumb:

I think, and it probably is obvious, that now that everything becomes slightly more available at slightly more normal prices, the future really depends on what is announced, regarding the AWB. If it fails, it will be like the last scare; $800 ARs everywhere. If it doesn't...
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 06 Feb 2013, 18:50

The Cabelas in Marysville, WA had a FsN with its factory case and three mags. $2999. Rot in hell, Gun Library.

Jim300

I just passed on 2 in local gun stores for $1200

Post by Jim300 » 16 Feb 2013, 04:55

About 2 weeks ago I wasn't sure I wanted the gun so I passed. Ammo hard to find, tricky to reload, Ammo really really hard to find. I know I said it twice. They had a case of the LE Only ammo for about $40 a box. I got two, just in case I changed my mind on the pistol over night. The gun stayed in the case for about a week priced at $1200. Ammo disappeared as did gun in a weeks time.

I decided I would buy one and hope the ammo situation gets better. A week ago I was in another local gun shop that had one in the FDE color for $1195. I think I want the black colored one, so I passed again. Wish I had purchased the black one in the first place, but I'm sure the supply will come back and prices will stabilize.

Same ammo was $60 a box in a week, a couple days ago I went in and it was $80 per box although they had sold out again.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 16 Feb 2013, 06:22

Jim, just my two cents worth. (that's what we come to forums for, right?). I own a lot of handguns. I'm not a collector, I shoot them all. I have paid between $200 and $2,000 for various models, and the price has little to do with how much I like them, or how effective I can be with them. Over time, I develop a "what it's worth to me" feeling for each weapon. I have $400 guns that aren't worth that much. I paid under $1,000 for each of my FsN's, but they hold the most value to me. If I didn't have one today, but knew what I do about them, I would feel comfortable paying $1,200 to $1,500. Also, I have had at least one since 2004, and have ridden this ammo cycle through a number of times. After each election, after Ft. Hood, etc. It sucks when prices are up and you need some, but they will come down. Over the years I would estimate that I have bought 12,000 rounds. Never paid more than $20 a box, with the exception of some EA stuff. (worth it).

You won't be dissapointed if you pull the trigger (pun intended)

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 16 Feb 2013, 08:05

We just need to keep in mind that the gun scare is far from over. It's slowed down at the Federal level for the time being, but that's just the gov't biding it's time. Right now they're focusing on getting states to impose their own limitations. (Biden calling Dems in Colorado to help push restrictions... Does he do anything for the country that actually benefits us? Maybe a budget would be nice?) Once they feel like enough of the states have beat down their people... You can bet your arse that they'll be pushing for it again. I mean come on... 2 FsN ban bills in less than 6 months?

Some states are forming militias... how sad is it that so many people feel like it's come to that?

rgold1963

Post by rgold1963 » 17 Feb 2013, 15:07

I listed mine locally last week for $1500. It sold within an hour. I probably could have asked for a lot more than that but felt that it was a fair price given the availability and the crazy GB prices. I guess it all comes down to what people are willing to spend since I don't think I would pay $1500 myself but the buyer was thrilled and I gave him a great deal on some ammunition since he was a nice guy.

Ron

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 Feb 2013, 16:31

rgold1963 wrote:I listed mine locally last week for $1500. It sold within an hour. I probably could have asked for a lot more than that but felt that it was a fair price given the availability and the crazy GB prices. I guess it all comes down to what people are willing to spend since I don't think I would pay $1500 myself but the buyer was thrilled and I gave him a great deal on some ammunition since he was a nice guy.

Ron
Welcome to the forum, rgold!

I think it's really great and standup of you; what you did for that guy.

Recently, I traded some Elite Ammunition Trident rounds with a nice army guy from a standup state (not NY or NJ, etc.). He had posted 10 rounds of 10mm to trade, with the notion of, "Hey, uhh I can't shoot it, so I might as well trade it, even though it is 10 rounds!"

I thought it was kinda funny, so I traded up for the 10 rounds of underpowered factory ammunition (they only went about 1000 fps, and should be going 1400 fps).

Others asked to buy Tridents, but I don't sell them. When he thanked me, I told him it was because from his ad he sounded like a nice guy.... so it DOES pay to just be yourself! :)
Shoot more, worry less.

Smithy

Post by Smithy » 18 Feb 2013, 05:47

These prices are crazy. I have a ps90 (1st. gen), a 5.7 pistol, and about 2000 rds of ammo (asst--NO EA AMMO) that I am thinking about selling. Any idea of what it's worth? ...Teddy

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Feb 2013, 08:21

It's worth whatever it sells for, let the buyer determine that.
Put it on gunbroker. Take what you paid for it & set that as the reserve, shipping not included. In this market, you'll probably get it, even for a used gun, & you'll definitely get it for any ammo.

panzermk2wife
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2wife » 18 Feb 2013, 14:41

No disrespect to anyone here but as someone who makes ammunition for a living the supplies are still not there.

If they were I would be able to make the ammunition and have it on the website.

I have been without supplies since late October/early November and have back orders with several vendors before they stopped accepting back orders.

And I won't even discuss GB as everyone knows how I feel about it :(
Visit Us on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/EliteAmmunition5.7x28mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leave Us Feedback on the Forum
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 18 Feb 2013, 15:07

panzermk2wife wrote:No disrespect to anyone here but as someone who makes ammunition for a living the supplies are still not there.

If they were I would be able to make the ammunition and have it on the website.

I have been without supplies since late October/early November and have back orders with several vendors before they stopped accepting back orders.

And I won't even discuss GB as everyone knows how I feel about it :(
I too, have some resentment towards Great Britain.

:lmao: <3 Just kidding, Lisa.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2wife
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2wife » 18 Feb 2013, 15:27

Funny blue
Visit Us on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/EliteAmmunition5.7x28mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leave Us Feedback on the Forum
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim300

FN-57 MK2 Price

Post by Jim300 » 18 Feb 2013, 15:43

I passed on 2 lately that were new in my local gun stores with the 3 20 round magazines for $1200 each. I'm kind of hoping the new MK2 makes it to market soon at a similar price. I'm in no hurry, and the ammo is not plentiful now anyway. It is another toy for me, and I have several toys to shoot in the mean time that I can get ammo for. When the new MK2 becomes available at reasonable prices, I'll probably pick one up.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 18 Feb 2013, 16:18

Welcome to the forum, Jim!

I wonder if/when FN will release it to the US dealers. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

rgold1963

Post by rgold1963 » 18 Feb 2013, 16:49

So. speaking of prices.... I'll probably get shot for asking this but I have 970rds left of SS192 and want to sell it at what would be a fair price. I see what it's going for on GB and don't feel like I can ask $2/rd. I also don't want to give it away but find some sort of happy medium if possible? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron

rjc

Post by rjc » 18 Feb 2013, 17:39

I am a "newbie" and this is my first post. I understand the whole assault on guns we are seeing. It is a shame and prices on most firearms are unbelievable. I have owned my FN 5.7 since 1995. When I purchased the gun I also purchased 15 boxes of ss192 ammo (brown box) that I still have. I can understand the high price of this ammo since FN voluntarily took it off the market but I am bewildered at the cost of the gun itself. This is an awesome weapon but I thought it did not have the "sex appeal" of an AR15 which is the focus of the anti-gun crowd. Can someone share their opinions? Glock, Smith&Wesson etc. are in high demand but the prices at the gun shops are pretty reasonable and stable.

I look forward to replies and this great forum!

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 18 Feb 2013, 20:41

rjc wrote:I am a "newbie" and this is my first post. I understand the whole assault on guns we are seeing. It is a shame and prices on most firearms are unbelievable. I have owned my FN 5.7 since 1995. When I purchased the gun I also purchased 15 boxes of ss192 ammo (brown box) that I still have. I can understand the high price of this ammo since FN voluntarily took it off the market but I am bewildered at the cost of the gun itself. This is an awesome weapon but I thought it did not have the "sex appeal" of an AR15 which is the focus of the anti-gun crowd. Can someone share their opinions? Glock, Smith&Wesson etc. are in high demand but the prices at the gun shops are pretty reasonable and stable.

I look forward to replies and this great forum!
You've had it since 1995?? Wow? Is it some sort of test/prototype model? I didn't think they even finished designing the thing until 1998... Does it look any different than the normal models that were produced after 1998? They weren't available to the public (civilians) until 2004. Did you mean 2005?

rjc

Post by rjc » 18 Feb 2013, 21:27

Hebs,
Wow, my mistake! Yes, it was 2005. I was recuperating from neck surgery that summer. Maybe the anesthetic hasn't worn off yet!

Jim300

Post by Jim300 » 13 Mar 2013, 17:23

I finally purchased a 5.7 pistol. I was wanting to wait on the mk2, but a deal came up I could not turn down. I was in a local gun shop and they told me I qualified to purchase one under the hero program. Black with gray controls for $934 plus tax. Now that I have the gun, I can't find ammo. Oh well, I have a couple boxes and when it becomes available again, I will shoot it more often. I shot a few rounds through it to make sure it functions. It does. :D