Pre-Election Shopping List

General discussion.
ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Pre-Election Shopping List

Post by ShockedNKansas » 16 Oct 2012, 21:30

During the debate the POTUS reaffirmed that he would be seeking a reinstatement of the assault weapons ban. Considering it's a real possibility that he gains a second term, what is everybody's opinion of what must be purchased before 2013.

I wasn't collecting guns during the first assault weapon's ban so I don't know how far-reaching that bit of legislation can be in regards to impacting my newfound hobby. I assume a PS90 would be on the chopping block?

Thanks in advance for your polite discussion.

fd57

Re: Pre-Election Shopping List

Post by fd57 » 17 Oct 2012, 07:31

High capacity magazines.

Ammunition.

Assault Rifles.

Body armor.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 17 Oct 2012, 08:05

inb4tinfoilhelmets

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 17 Oct 2012, 10:55

srt-4_jon wrote:inb4tinfoilhelmets
Last night was the first time he personally admitted publicly that he will seek a new (permanent) assault weapons ban. Considering the fact that he has been leading the political race for the majority of the time, I think it's safe to say we've moved past the tinfoilhelmet stage. If the man is reelected, he will be free to pursue his most radical agenda without fear of answering to the voters.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 17 Oct 2012, 10:59

fd57 wrote:High capacity magazines.

Ammunition.

Assault Rifles.

Body armor.
When they say "assault rifle ban" does that mean a literal ban on the sale of AR-15 type rifles in the U.S.? Or is it just a magazine restriction like they have in California? If military style rifles were banned it would do a huge number on the industry. Think about FN's line of weapons; Scar, FS2000, FNAR, etc. There would be a lot of layoffs around the country involving small to medium domestic weapons manufacturers.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 17 Oct 2012, 11:02

look at the last AWB for what might be under this one that wont ever get voted in.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 17 Oct 2012, 11:13

srt-4_jon wrote:look at the last AWB for what might be under this one that wont ever get voted in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_As ... eapons_Ban" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've done a little research, but Wiki makes it seem like anything that looked like an "assault rifle" was banned. Of the bits and pieces I have picked up in various conversations with people that actually experienced it, I have gotten various opinions of the severity of the impact the ban had on the industry.

And I hope you are right that it never gets voted in. We need a few more seats in the senate to be safe though.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 17 Oct 2012, 11:31

Basically, you are correct.
If it 'looks scary', then yeah...it would be banned.
You could still pick up a Ruger Mini 14, but an AR? Nope. Does the same thing. Same reliability (if not more so). Heavier? Oh yeah, but not banned. Pre-ban hi-cap mag prices go through the roof.
Lunacy of idiots in office never fail to surprise me.
If it has a barrel shroud?? Hehehehe, yeah, it's banned!
What surprises me is my father in law walked into a gun shop, plopped down a 9MM pistol and traded for a 30.06 semi-auto rifle with a wood stock that is far more accurate and dangerous than any pre-ban 'assault rifle' they had on the shelf and traded for it Even-Steven with no paperwork (it was privately owned by one of the employees and was on consignment) and nothing is said and nobody is even aware. But during the ban, they acted like the pre-ban AR's were made of gold.
It was stupidity at it's highest level.
Then again, it could also be a ploy to spur one aspect of the economy just prior to the election to show an increase in activity?
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 17 Oct 2012, 19:12

Judges
Congressmen
Senators
Governors
Not by bribery - vote and lobby.
[Or stockpile and hoard, cower and quake, if you prefer to give up now.]
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

dhpierre
Silver Member

Post by dhpierre » 18 Oct 2012, 13:10

There will be no new federal assault weapons ban. At least not in the near future. It doesn't matter what idiot wins the Whitehouse. Since the assault weapons ban expired at least 5 attempts have been made to revive it in congress. Most never got out of committee to come up for a floor vote. 1994 was a much different time politically and I just don't see it happening now. Obama has paid it lip service from time to time to placate his base, but even when he had both houses he proposed no assault weapons ban legislation. Even if he or Romney did propose a ban it wouldn't make it out of the House and if by some miracle (Like the dems winning the House) it did, it would die in a filibuster in the Senate. That's if the dems hold on to the Senate, if not it wouldn't even make it to the Senate floor.

So everyone can buy whatever they need to protect themselves from a ban, but I think everyone can rest easy at night knowing their AKs and ARs will be safe.

Just my 2 cents worth. And that's all it is worth, if that! :D

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 18 Oct 2012, 20:15

fd57 wrote:High capacity magazines.

Ammunition.

Assault Rifles.

Body armor.
Cyberfly wrote:Basically, you are correct.
If it 'looks scary', then yeah...it would be banned.
You could still pick up a Ruger Mini 14, but an AR? Nope. Does the same thing. Same reliability (if not more so). Heavier? Oh yeah, but not banned. Pre-ban hi-cap mag prices go through the roof.
Lunacy of idiots in office never fail to surprise me.
If it has a barrel shroud?? Hehehehe, yeah, it's banned!
What surprises me is my father in law walked into a gun shop, plopped down a 9MM pistol and traded for a 30.06 semi-auto rifle with a wood stock that is far more accurate and dangerous than any pre-ban 'assault rifle' they had on the shelf and traded for it Even-Steven with no paperwork (it was privately owned by one of the employees and was on consignment) and nothing is said and nobody is even aware. But during the ban, they acted like the pre-ban AR's were made of gold.
It was stupidity at it's highest level.
Then again, it could also be a ploy to spur one aspect of the economy just prior to the election to show an increase in activity?
dhpierre wrote:There will be no new federal assault weapons ban. At least not in the near future. It doesn't matter what idiot wins the Whitehouse. Since the assault weapons ban expired at least 5 attempts have been made to revive it in congress. Most never got out of committee to come up for a floor vote. 1994 was a much different time politically and I just don't see it happening now. Obama has paid it lip service from time to time to placate his base, but even when he had both houses he proposed no assault weapons ban legislation. Even if he or Romney did propose a ban it wouldn't make it out of the House and if by some miracle (Like the dems winning the House) it did, it would die in a filibuster in the Senate. That's if the dems hold on to the Senate, if not it wouldn't even make it to the Senate floor.

So everyone can buy whatever they need to protect themselves from a ban, but I think everyone can rest easy at night knowing their AKs and ARs will be safe.

Just my 2 cents worth. And that's all it is worth, if that! :D
Thanks for your contributions! :thumb:

FN574me

Post by FN574me » 22 Oct 2012, 19:48

Boy oh boy,

My fellow gun owner brothers and sisters, please please relax a little bit allright.

I do not believe there will be any significant new federal assault weapons ban, regardless who wins the Whitehouse. Since the assault weapons ban expired, many attempts have been. As far as I know, nothing ever reached the floor. This is just not an issue right now.
The economy and jobs are. No worries.

P.S.: As a CA resident I am already at the short end of the stick. Can't even have anything other than a 10 round mag for my FiveseveN.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 23 Oct 2012, 20:40

FN574me wrote:Boy oh boy,

My fellow gun owner brothers and sisters, please please relax a little bit allright.

I do not believe there will be any significant new federal assault weapons ban, regardless who wins the Whitehouse. Since the assault weapons ban expired, many attempts have been. As far as I know, nothing ever reached the floor. This is just not an issue right now.
The economy and jobs are. No worries.

P.S.: As a CA resident I am already at the short end of the stick. Can't even have anything other than a 10 round mag for my FiveseveN.
You may be right, but when you are constantly bombarded by NRA emails, you start to feel a bit nervous. Of course that is their intention. One thing is for sure, if Obama is reelected, he will make attempts at further restrictions on firearms.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 24 Oct 2012, 00:30

Think like Obama:
Who needs Congress?
I have Executive Orders!
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

dhpierre
Silver Member

Post by dhpierre » 24 Oct 2012, 13:08

Yeah if Obama gets re-elected it will be devasting for gun rights :facepalm:
Let me think what gun laws has that dirty gungrabber Obama signed
since he has been in office...... :ponder:
Oh yeah - He has made it legal to carry loaded guns in National Parks.
I'll be keeping my eye on him just to see what other gun laws he trys to sneak in :skep:

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 24 Oct 2012, 13:14

in need of sevensixtwo please donate immediately lol

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 24 Oct 2012, 13:30

Yeah, obama has a B rating from the NRA and an F from Brady. How much that will change if he gets reelected is left to be seen, but I don't think he can afford to piss off the former and its constituents nearly as much as he can the latter.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 24 Oct 2012, 13:56

I said it before and I'll say it again...

I don't think any president can get legislation such as an "assault weapon" ban passed even if he wanted to. Congress won't allow it - they've learned their lesson from the last go-round.

The short term is not the issue, but think about this:

During the next presidential term, two, possibly three supreme court justices will likely retire. Who nominates the new justices? The answer is the sitting president. Who that president is will determine what way will these justices lean, politically speaking.

Presidents come and go, but a seat on the SCOTUS is a lifetime appointment - they can do a LOT of damage to 2nd amendment rights if the majority leans left.

Think about that for a while...
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 25 Oct 2012, 22:55

jgreenberg01 wrote:I said it before and I'll say it again...

I don't think any president can get legislation such as an "assault weapon" ban passed even if he wanted to. Congress won't allow it - they've learned their lesson from the last go-round.

The short term is not the issue, but think about this:

During the next presidential term, two, possibly three supreme court justices will likely retire. Who nominates the new justices? The answer is the sitting president. Who that president is will determine what way will these justices lean, politically speaking.

Presidents come and go, but a seat on the SCOTUS is a lifetime appointment - they can do a LOT of damage to 2nd amendment rights if the majority leans left.

Think about that for a while...
:agree:

fd57

Post by fd57 » 26 Oct 2012, 04:49

Ultimately no matter the Commander in Chief the shopping list is what it always should be:
- tools
- seeds
- munitions
- chemicals
- clothing
- transportation
- medical supplies

Civil

Post by Civil » 26 Oct 2012, 18:00

Beer + bacon

/thread