5-7 under water

General discussion.
Heavyarms

5-7 under water

Post by Heavyarms » 21 Aug 2008, 13:45

I am getting ready to start diving and remember a whiel back MO said he carried his with him under water. I may sound silly but these will fire no prob under water? im heading to the Bahamas for about 3 weeks and will be out close to every day. Id love to take mine with me incase i come back to the Boat and im not alone haha. The area were are heading ha shad troubles fom "pirates" but then again its a comon problem around there anyways.....Hal

t1210

Re: 5-7 under water

Post by t1210 » 21 Aug 2008, 13:54

You would need to check local laws. I beleive the Bahamas are under Brittish law and would expect the penalaty for being caught with a firearm could be quite severe.

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 21 Aug 2008, 14:37

I worked with with a joint TF in the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and the DEU will mess you up HARD if you are caught with a firearm, drug runner or no. As corrupt as they are you need to be very, very careful about Bahamian law. You might end up sleeping in a cell with some Haitians.

What area are you heading to? I've been through the whole damn area more times than I care to think of. If you are around Nassau you should be OK, but we did encounter 'pirate' activity from the Exumas to the eastern edge of the archipelago.

Good fishin though!

Heavyarms

Post by Heavyarms » 21 Aug 2008, 15:33

heading to Cape hope and some south east of Nassau. Last time we went we declared the weapons when we went to the Embassy? we went and checked in and gave passport information. Ill deff check the laws but i carried a .45 on the boat with me and my Father inlaw had a 9mm not to mention a 12G in each cabin lol. They go every year there and he has always gone armed and they didnt fuss just wanted us to declare any weapons abored..Ill ask him in abit what gives haha....Hal

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 21 Aug 2008, 16:10

Sounds good, def. check with the embassy.

I only say to be cautious because I have seen DEU / Royal Bahamian Police shoot first. You don't want to have a vacation ruined by being plugged with a 40 year old M16.

I always thought that jokes about machete fights were just that -- jokes. Until, of course, I went to that third world "resort" known as the Bahamas :laugh:

Heavyarms

Post by Heavyarms » 21 Aug 2008, 17:49

Just a few weeks ago a couple in their 60s were attacked. The husband was murdered with a machete and his wife was tortured adn left for dead. She was able to get to a radio and call for help. Sad, I have a few Coast gaurd friends and they always talk about the "missing" people from those parts......Hal

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 21 Aug 2008, 17:52

Heavyarms wrote:I am getting ready to start diving and remember a whiel back MO said he carried his with him under water. I may sound silly but these will fire no prob under water? im heading to the Bahamas for about 3 weeks and will be out close to every day. Id love to take mine with me incase i come back to the Boat and im not alone haha. The area were are heading ha shad troubles fom "pirates" but then again its a comon problem around there anyways.....Hal

I think I saw an episode of either on G&A or Mythbusters shooting a .45 1911 underwater. It went about 15 or 20 feet it seems. I think they even fired it twice since it did cycle. I guess if you were up close it might work. :guns:

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 21 Aug 2008, 18:00

I would think that, theoretically, if a .45 performed like that a smaller diameter round might have a better chance of having some speed.

But I think he might be more concerned with climbing back on his boat and finding someone else there, and wants to be reasonably sure that his recently soaked pistol would function if it needed to.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 21 Aug 2008, 18:37

your not concerned about salt water corrosion?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Aug 2008, 19:01

I remember MO's post about this too. I think he said the only problem he had was that the rear sight corroded fast. You could always try a dry bag :ponder:

Nice fish Wolly
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Heavyarms

Post by Heavyarms » 21 Aug 2008, 19:38

Yeah id hate to go diving and come back to visitors. My only story close is in Nassau we moored the Sail boat (40 foot tri-merand) at a dock that had armed gaurds. We weretaking a sea plane to Miami and some friends were coming to use the boat and sail it back to Charleston SC. Well about 3am i hear soemthing on the deck so being a very lite speeper i grabbed the .45 and busted butt up to the deck to look. As i crestted the stairs i had the armed gaurd in my sites. this guy was "fishing" and his lure somehow made its war across the deck of our boat. He about crapped himself and couldnt make a complete sentence and i tossed him his lure and he took off. Im very sure he wasnt trying to catch fish on our boat or even near it since there was no room to fish where we were at. I think he was trying to test the boat and then maybe steal from us if we were away. The entire time in Nassua we were circled by Jet ski's if they thought we werent abored. More than once while relaxing youd here a jet ski come close then when they saw us theyd haul but away. Now i did have a nice scary time with a shard while diving last time and if it could cycle and shoot a few feet under water id be happy too haha. I do plan on getting a Power head (bang stick) but not sure if i should go with the 12 gauge or .357 or maybe the .44..anyone have ideas on that? While lookign online i read some areas have used security gairds who carried bang stick for close quarters. I couldnt imagine that but hey starnger things can happen. Hell some People will Vote for Obama so why not right? haha........Hal

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 21 Aug 2008, 19:55

That sounds pretty in line with what I know. Is your boat equipped with a radio?

On an op once, on our way back to our barn, we got a distress call over marine band. A very drunk british man was babbling about "pirates with guns" who were harassing him and his mates, and all they were trying to do was "enjoy our spirits." We located the boat and gave chase, but you can't catch em all. The brit tourists were definitely shaken by the experience. The brit, hysterically, asked us to "blow them the hell up".

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a difference between your target-of-opportunity thief and the organized crooks who do everything from run drugs in cig boats to smuggling guns and who-knows-what. They often work in teams with prepositioned boats, fuel, etc. For something like that, you might be best off grabing your radio and yelling for help. Someone might actually show up!

gotants

Post by gotants » 22 Aug 2008, 04:49

In regards to Bahamian law...
FIREARMS

Bahamian law permits firearms on your vessel as part of your ship’s equipment. They must remain aboard in a secure compartment. In the event of your being boarded by Customs or the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, the information on your cruising permit will be checked carefully against your actual supply. Ammo must match cruising permit.

Being I live less than an hour away (plane or fast boat), I have been there close to a hunert times. I have had only one scary incident when I was about 13, and that was with the Bahamian Police boarding our boat. My dad was the captain and we were doing deliveries of Hatteras` over to the islands so new owners could avoid sales taxes. Well, we were boarded and a kid my age in khaki shorts and shirts puts a .45 to my head. My dad freaks out and snatches the thing out of the kids hand. Needless to say he had 6 rifles pointed at him. Smart man he was, he never changed his grip from the barrel and offered it to one of the older gents. Pretty scary, but after that, we had numerous attempts of boarding and once they spotted my pops, they just waved and steered away.

But, there have been so many piracies lately, I would not go over there well armed.

As for the bang stick, most guys I know use the 44 mag head. But I don`t think they are legal over there. And firearms are to be secured, as in a car, and all ammo must be accounted for, ie; you declare how many rounds you have. No weapons are allowed ashore.

Asylum Knight

Post by Asylum Knight » 23 Aug 2008, 12:58

As others have said, the biggest problem that I see would be the mechanics of the gun operating while flooded. This can vary from the round not chambering all the way to an exploding gun from the pressure of a flooded weapon. This may be a little extreme but would you consider carrying in a small "Otter Box" that you could keep with the rest of the equipment? This would ensure a dry weapon, regardless of where you stow it.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 Aug 2008, 13:53

Any firearm will work under water. Once all the air is displaced with water.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Asylum Knight

Post by Asylum Knight » 23 Aug 2008, 15:07

panzermk2 wrote:Any firearm will work under water. Once all the air is displaced with water.
I was told otherwise, not to say you are not correct. I was watching some SpecOps video about how the M4 gastube would explode if not given time to "drain" when you emerge for a shot. Also for continuous fire, like I said, I am more than a little sure the slide can be affected underwater, depending on the weapon.

For the original poster, I found this while searching Boom Stick:

http://www.waspknife.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It may be useful, given a CQB situation . . .

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 23 Aug 2008, 16:12

I have been told that the pressure will all be equal if the entire weapon is "flooded" and a round is discharged. But if you've got a water "plug" in the gas tube in an otherwise 'dry' weapon you could have a catistrophic failure.

I don't know if it's true and don't want to test it hahaha

Panzer, do ya have first hand on this?

H2oStone

Post by H2oStone » 23 Aug 2008, 17:07

I would be concerned with wet or damp powder. I dont think they are (bullets) meant to be water proof concerning the inside of the brass lip and the bullet. And the deeper you go the more pressure there is. Maybe is you were 2 feet deep it wound be ok of you deal the edge pf the brass rim with the bullet with warm wax. Just my 2 cents worth. Pat

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 23 Aug 2008, 17:11

Hmm, I don't know about the powder thing. For 5.56 at least (in past lots for sure) the round was sealed with an adhesive. In training I've had a recently submerged weapon and basic load function just fine after draining.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 23 Aug 2008, 17:47

Here is a test done shooting underwater. I am still trying to find if the video I mentioned before is on web somewhere.

http://www.dlsports.com/underwater_hand ... oting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Asylum Knight

Post by Asylum Knight » 23 Aug 2008, 18:08

I was misinformed. Good read BIGCAP.

abatis

Post by abatis » 23 Aug 2008, 19:01

Take a spear gun - fun and good for spearing all kinds of things.
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 23 Aug 2008, 19:16

take some fake grenades and practice that crazy "i just might do it" look in the mirror.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 Aug 2008, 22:47

As fare as a bullet in concerned there is not difference between water and air other then density. You do not get an over pressure situation under water since the water in pressing harder against the round and slide etc.

Air flows and move just like water. People forget that. Now a can filled with water and a dry gun is can be an issue. Not all though I believe Knight's work when filled with water after being raised out of it and the gun in exposed to the air.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Heavyarms

Post by Heavyarms » 24 Aug 2008, 05:23

Thanks for the test info. I see though that the .40 wasnt happy and had a failure but it wasnt tested enough to prove it was the round design or the gun that fired it.

Heavyarms

Post by Heavyarms » 24 Aug 2008, 05:28

I have a nice spear gun but those are illegal in the Bahams too. Last time i went i had to use a pole spear. a 72" aluminum pole with a trident head and surgical tubing lube on the bottom. You grasp the tupe between your fingers and thumb then push the pole down so your grabbing it a few inches from the trident/head and when your ready you lossen your grip and it shoots foreward. Wroks great but you cant take down large fish they will pull off or break the spear.....Hal

Asylum Knight

Post by Asylum Knight » 25 Aug 2008, 04:04

Did you check the link I posted? Or was that a little too "nextgen"? According to the site it can stop sharks and many other large animals.

ArtosDracon
Banned

Post by ArtosDracon » 25 Aug 2008, 04:28

I've got too much money invested in most of my guns but, I'll try it wil by P230 or my PT92 if you really want to know. A couple phone books should keep the bullet from doing any dammage to the pool.

gotants

Post by gotants » 27 Aug 2008, 18:15

Hal, I free dive exclusively. I haven`t had a tank on my back in over 20 years. I too also use a pole spear. I have one with a three prong head, and another with standard pointed tip with single flapper (to prevent extraction). When shooting fish, you learn to make kill shots and big fish are no problem.

BTW, we just had a massive lobster walk. After TS Fay went by, the lobsters were parading 3 wide and 15-20 long. This event lasted from saturday to monday. My freezer is packed with some fatties.

Heavyarms

Post by Heavyarms » 27 Aug 2008, 18:46

Asylum Knight wrote:Did you check the link I posted? Or was that a little too "nextgen"? According to the site it can stop sharks and many other large animals.

Yeah i read that, Thanks for the link. I wouldnt mind havong one of those but if need be id like ot stay some distance from anyone who may be trouble. the boat we have is a 40' tri mirand(sp) and two bed in front adn 1 in rear. maybe a 4 foot distance between the steps twards each. I have a nice collection of knives and have some training with them, but under water i realy want the distance haha. I have a Cold steel OSS on my left arm or sometime on my right leg incase i get tangled. the Pole spear is ok but id like to have a faster reaction time and less movement on my part to reset it for a follow up shot or defensive move. a pistol that can fire would make enough disturbance i think to scare some Fish away.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 27 Aug 2008, 19:57

Wrist rocket? Legal most places. Functionally waterproof. Inexpensive enough to not worry about.
Safer out of water (for the shooter) than a hawaiian sling or a speargun.
Good for seagulls or drunk jerks. Probably not so good against pie-rats with serious weapons.

A while back I picked up a tennis-ball shooter (for excercising dogs) and replaced the tubes and pouch with those from a modern commercial sling-shot. I would not want to be hit with slugs from the thing.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

mvl

Post by mvl » 03 Sep 2008, 06:05

Hi all, I'm very new to the forum and just could not resist posting a reply to your thread. Lenny Magill did pool tests of different handguns but not the fiveseven, he sells a lot of firearms and training videos. I too am an avid diver and live in a country where piracy is rampant, I carry a glock 19 while diving. Australian underwater hunters are known to have shot aggressive sharks with glock 9mm's at point blank range . It would fire and cycle underwater fine using fmj's, hollowpoints would tend to expand rapidly thus slowing the speed of the bullet. Test firing in shallow waters or along the reef could dangerously harm your ear drums, in open water they wont hurt as much. I coat primers and case necks with nail polish to make them more waterproof. Your number one enemy would be corrosion. I carry a pelican case filled with freshwater on the boat and i leave the pistol in it till i get back to shore where i dip it again in diesel, dry with compressed air, then lube again with break free. My fiveseven is too expensive for me to risk firing underwater, but i sure hope one of you guys would do a test too. :)

mvl

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 03 Sep 2008, 13:59

LOL i'm not doing it! Fresno shouldn't be underwater for a while, so I may have to wait for someone else to be the guinea pig. Sounds like a neat experiment though.
Embrace the Suck