Lacquer coating solution

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

gw45acp
Gold Member

Re: Lacquer coating solution

Post by gw45acp » 17 Dec 2009, 10:34

ddouglas wrote:To address issue #1 above, has anyone tried those teflon spray lubricants on the cases after they are reloaded? Typically, the liquid evaporates, leaving a thin, dry and slick coating on the surfaces spayed.

It is mentioned in this thread that some have tried it with mixed results. The best report I recall was it helped a little. I didn't see any real improvement, but I don't have feeding problems as much as FTE's related to "warmer" loads which my PS90 doesn't really like.
"How the Hell did I get here?"

gw45acp
Gold Member

Post by gw45acp » 17 Dec 2009, 10:40

tdevince wrote:Good question, my FsN is lapped. I look this weekend at the cases from it to compare with factory. Similar to what gw45acp posted.
Neither my FsN nor PS90 has a lapped chamber. I can only guess if that makes any difference.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Dec 2009, 10:45

f3rr37 wrote:issue #1, does the condition of the lacquer depend on the condition of the chamber (lapped vs unlapped).

It does, that is why as part of our package we polished the chamber on the FsN.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

gw45acp
Gold Member

Post by gw45acp » 17 Dec 2009, 11:36

panzermk2 wrote:
f3rr37 wrote:issue #1, does the condition of the lacquer depend on the condition of the chamber (lapped vs unlapped).

It does, that is why as part of our package we polished the chamber on the FsN.
I understood that the primary reason for lapping the chamber was to aid in the extraction of high pressure rounds. I assume reducing wear on the lacquer coating was a byproduct and added benefit of a finely lapped chamber and not the primary issue?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Dec 2009, 12:11

Protecting the coating was the primary reason.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

sharky47

Post by sharky47 » 27 Dec 2009, 15:38

Would you mind sharing any info on the chamber lapping process? If it's a trade secret, I understand and won't fault you for not sharing.

I have an AR57 inbound and would like to do anything that will help my brass last. I am a machinist and avid reloader, if I can lap my own chamber - I will.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Dec 2009, 17:47

You polish the metal with polishing compound from Brownells and a polishing wheel.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

I8asquirrel

Post by I8asquirrel » 08 Jan 2010, 22:54

:ponder: Please Help am confused, do I want to remove the lacquer coating or not, I thought it only was there to help prevent corrosion while ammo was being shipped, cant I just tumble cases in jet shell and turbo to remove it.....sorry if this is new guy ? please advise.

sharky47

Post by sharky47 » 08 Jan 2010, 23:00

You want the lacquer if you want to be able to use the ammo in a P-90 style mag.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 08 Jan 2010, 23:06

I8asquirrel wrote::ponder: Please Help am confused, do I want to remove the lacquer coating or not, I thought it only was there to help prevent corrosion while ammo was being shipped, cant I just tumble cases in jet shell and turbo to remove it.....sorry if this is new guy ? please advise.
Do not tumble your 5.7 brass. The coating helps for casing lubrication when going thru the mag but also aids in extraction from the chamber. It will fire without the coating but it just makes it easier & the less damage to your brass the better.

Clean your cases with simple green solution or dish soap & vinegar - just do a search & you'll find some ideas on how others handle it
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

carsfor

Post by carsfor » 10 Jan 2010, 11:34

:?: the suggestion I received is to use a liquid media tumbler to preserve the coating on the case, and that it is not a good idea to use dry !!media!! when cleaning your brass because of the loss of the coating! already on them, I don't know if the new brass is already coated, but if so the cleaning with liquid media is the so-called right way to go. carsfor

I8asquirrel

Post by I8asquirrel » 14 Jan 2010, 21:57

well lacquer coating and UV inspection might be for some shooters, but not for me, I contacted RCBS tech advice and at their suggestion put my brass in the vibrating tumbler with walnut shell media. it has taken four days of run time but the laqcuer has been removed and the brass is bright , shiny, and very slippery :p

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 14 Jan 2010, 22:04

Good luck, that brass is going to stick together when you put it in PS90 mags and also going to cause more stress on the brass during extration.

I8asquirrel

Post by I8asquirrel » 14 Jan 2010, 22:19

are you saying that from real experience or what people her ehave said.?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Jan 2010, 22:25

That is exactly what is going to happen and I have loaded more 5.7 then anyone and more then every member of this entire forum combined.

Jake knows what he is talking about and so do a great many folkes here. The sooner you realize this the better your re-loading is going to go.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Jan 2010, 22:32

I8asquirrel wrote:well lacquer coating and UV inspection might be for some shooters, but not for me, I contacted RCBS tech advice and at their suggestion put my brass in the vibrating tumbler with walnut shell media. it has taken four days of run time but the laqcuer has been removed and the brass is bright , shiny, and very slippery :p
You came here looking for advice, it was freely given. Instead of listening to the people who actively reload this caliber, even manufacture it, you still do it your own way. Why bother asking here? And what makes you trust a tech over the data that is available here?
Enjoy your malfunctions
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 14 Jan 2010, 22:38

How will lacquer-less brass operate in the pistol?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Jan 2010, 22:58

Extraction issues. More then likely rip a case neck off with the first magazine ran through.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 14 Jan 2010, 23:11

Sounds like a PITA. Thanks for the quick response. I never intended to tumble my 5.7 brass anyway, but I like to know :D

Toynut

Post by Toynut » 15 Jan 2010, 16:43

panzermk2 wrote:Extraction issues. More then likely rip a case neck off with the first magazine ran through.

I just came back from the range with some test loads of 35 grain Vmax bullets and True Blue charges of 6.2 through 6.8 grains. The 6.2 loads were mild and shot well. Stepping up to 6.4 grains and 6.6 grains resulted in two rounds out of twenty that left the case neck and shoulders in the chamber in two separate pistols. The torn brass necks fell out quite easily and the loads did not push the envelope for pressure, yet, the results was still disconcerting. I thought that this was due to some possible problems with some of the Scharch brass that I cleaned in a Simple Green solution.
Apparently I will have to start using a black light in my case inspection process from now on.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Jay.