First time reloading 5.7, Lee sizing die

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

bartomark

First time reloading 5.7, Lee sizing die

Post by bartomark » 30 Mar 2015, 15:10

I have been reading this forum for awhile soaking up great info. Last Sat. found some True Blue at a gun show and decided to try my first reloads. I have been reloading for about 35yrs, common calibers, .38-.357-.45acp-.223 etc. and was really apprehensive about the 5.7. My goal was to load for a 55gr projectile as these are readily available to make inexpensive plinking loads. I am using a Dillon 550 with Lee dies including a Lee FCD. I purchased a shell plate and a chamber gauge from EA ,both excellent quality, first class. Worked up some loads from 3.7 to 4.5 from some data I got from this forum. I chronoed them and they were consistent with the data posted, but I had a few misfires. What I found was with my Lee sizing die screwed all the way down contacting the shellplate the case would still not fully seat in the case gauge consistently. Standing proud about .011-.012. Apparently the shoulder was not being moved back far enough. I took the Lee sizing die and in a lathe ground .014 off the end to allow the die to move the shoulder back enough to allow it to seat fully in the chamber gauge. The cases now fully seat in the EA gauge and I have no more misfires. Has anyone else had this issue. I probably could have contacted Lee but wanted to try to find a solution myself. Thanks for all the great help and info in getting me started on this fun caliber.

DoubleJ

Re: First time reloading 5.7, Lee sizing die

Post by DoubleJ » 30 Mar 2015, 18:44

I run Lee dies as well, but I do the RCBS cam over thing. Doesn't make sense that it should work, but it does, I've measured shoulders before and after. Mine all chamber fine. Sometimes Lee makes mistakes, maybe your die was cut funny. Sounds like you've got it working though.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Mar 2015, 21:53

More recent LEE dies have not been sizing the case body down correctly. There are few threads on this.

Basically the LEE are taking the cases down to .320 instead of the needed .310. This change in LEE dies appeared about 2 years ago. At that time I stopped recommending LEE dies and started searching for better dies.

Based on the feedback from a few forum members who tried CH4D dies, I purchased a set. They where worth every penny and that is now why we offer a CH4D 3 die set on our website.

Most likely the rounds did not fully chamber.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

bartomark

Post by bartomark » 31 Mar 2015, 03:20

panzermk2 wrote:More recent LEE dies have not been sizing the case body down correctly. There are few threads on this.

Basically the LEE are taking the cases down to .320 instead of the needed .310. This change in LEE dies appeared about 2 years ago. At that time I stopped recommending LEE dies and started searching for better dies.

Based on the feedback from a few forum members who tried CH4D dies, I purchased a set. They where worth every penny and that is now why we offer a CH4D 3 die set on our website.

Most likely the rounds did not fully chamber.
Thanks for the reply.I don't know how I missed reading about the problems with the Lee dies. I ordered one of your die sets. Even if I get the Lee dies to work I would feel better using ones I can count on.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 31 Mar 2015, 03:59

Mine are probably a few years old, so that would explain my luck with them.