Trimming options

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

towerofpower93

Trimming options

Post by towerofpower93 » 07 Nov 2014, 06:36

I've been reloading 5.7 for almost a year now and have finally built up a large enough stockpile of brass to do batches of 200-300rds at a go. When I was doing load development in batches not exceeding 100rds trimming, chamfering and deburring with the Lee Zip-Trim and chamfer/deburr hand tool wasn't an issue. With the bigger batches it's becoming a bit of a pain, even with the Lyman Case Prep Center now doing powered chamfer/deburr duties.

I use a Girruad for everything else, but after speaking with him there's no way he could do a custom cutterhead and shell holder for the 5.7; the brass is simply too short.

With that option for a powered trimmer out, I'm looking for another solution.

While I have the lock stud for the Zip Trim system to power it with a hand drill, the time and effort for me comes from locking in the case to the shell holder, not from pulling the trimmer cord, and the additional/seperate steps of chamfer/deburr. Is there a powered system which would allow for trim/chamfer/deburr in one operation, lowering the times I handle each case and speeding up the case prep side of the reloading process?

The lathe type trimmers look like an obvious solution, but I don't know if they're supported for 5.7x28.

Thanks

Eric

kmiles

Re: Trimming options

Post by kmiles » 07 Nov 2014, 08:31

I use the RCBS Trim Pro 2 with their .22 cal 3 way cutter. It does the trimming, chamfering and deburring all at one time. I do not have the powered version of the trim pro, so it is still done by hand, but at least it is all done at one time. 200-300 at a time is not too bad.

towerofpower93

Post by towerofpower93 » 07 Nov 2014, 09:30

kmiles wrote:I use the RCBS Trim Pro 2 with their .22 cal 3 way cutter. It does the trimming, chamfering and deburring all at one time. I do not have the powered version of the trim pro, so it is still done by hand, but at least it is all done at one time. 200-300 at a time is not too bad.
Does the spring loaded universal case holder work with the 5.7 brass or is a special order shell holder required?

The ad on Midaway states: "One of the other great features of the Trim Pro-2 is that RCBS has eliminated the need for the reloader to purchase different shellplates, the trimmer will hold cases with rim diameters of .250" to .625" and in length from the 5.7x28mm FN to the 338 Lapua Magnum" but I wouldn't be surprised if the unit, while capable of trimming as short as the 5.7, couldn't hold the rim of the brass.

I love my RCBS hand primer with spring loaded case holder, but it won't hold a 5.7 round for priming.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Nov 2014, 09:58

One of the comments on the midway page
I needed a way to hold 5.7x28mm cases. this product is a very fast way to change cases and works with all the calibers that I reload up to .45 ACP.
This is one of best upgrades from RCBS.
So I would say that it does work with the 5.7x28
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

towerofpower93

Post by towerofpower93 » 07 Nov 2014, 10:13

Rapier1772 wrote:One of the comments on the midway page
I needed a way to hold 5.7x28mm cases. this product is a very fast way to change cases and works with all the calibers that I reload up to .45 ACP.
This is one of best upgrades from RCBS.
So I would say that it does work with the 5.7x28
Awesome, hadn't read every review to notice that.

Powered TP2 unit with 3 way cutter might be in my future since I like the idea of powered unti to trim/chamfer/deburr like the Little Crow Gunworks trimmer, but don't like the idea of brass chips just flying all over the place. While the Trim Pro 2 will obviously deposit them outside of a vessel, unlike the Girraud, I imagine it'll be a little easier to clean-up compared to the WFT spinning at high RPM on a drill/driver.

cvande
Silver Member

Post by cvande » 07 Nov 2014, 10:47

I ordered one of these trimmers and dies (two come with it) for 5.56, 308, and 300BLK. I contacted Troy at their shop and they made a 5.7 die for me for about 30 bucks. Works really well. He did say he would have to have them made to order as they are not a regular stock item (yet).

http://www.eztrimit.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Craig

towerofpower93

Post by towerofpower93 » 07 Nov 2014, 11:13

cvande wrote:I ordered one of these trimmers and dies (two come with it) for 5.56, 308, and 300BLK. I contacted Troy at their shop and they made a 5.7 die for me for about 30 bucks. Works really well. He did say he would have to have them made to order as they are not a regular stock item (yet).

http://www.eztrimit.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Craig
Does it throw brass chips all over the place?

Appears to use the same basic principle as the WFT in that it indexes off the shoulder of a resized case but might be easier to adjust for trim length; an issue some have complained about with the WFT in other calibers.

cvande
Silver Member

Post by cvande » 07 Nov 2014, 11:51

It does need to be used over a work bench or something. It just kind of drops shavings. Adjusting it is REALLY easy and the micrometer is accurate.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 07 Nov 2014, 19:02

I have the RCBS Trim pro 2 power with the 3 way cutter. It works very good and I might have 1 out of 100 cases that comes out of the holder but I suspect that is because I did not pay attention when seating it and got in a rush.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

acburk

Post by acburk » 07 Nov 2014, 20:19

Get the Little Crow Gunworks WFT2 (Worlds Finest Trimmer). Works great. Indexes off the shoulder so it's super quick.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imv1gei8LFM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do need a 1/2" drill if you don't have one, I didn't (they're like $50-60 at Home Depot)

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 07 Nov 2014, 21:21

I've got the RCBS case prep center, uses a universal shell holder doodad, don't have the 3 way head though, I slap the case in to trim , then once I've got a big ole pile, I chamfer and deburr, with a little touch to knock the primer crimp out as well.

shopsmart
Silver Member

Post by shopsmart » 08 Nov 2014, 06:52

I use this.

http://leeprecision.com/cutter-lock-stud.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With 5.7x28 guide. Mount the cutter in a drill. Have to use a 1/2" chuck.

Then adapt a shell holder to a rcbs hand priming tool using the large primer rod to so the rod doesn't go into the primer pocket.

Rev the drill up and keep it going with a variable trigger and go to town. Hasn't failed me yet and I have done thousands of trimming, debur, chamfer, primer pocket cleaning.

223 included.

kmiles

Post by kmiles » 10 Nov 2014, 13:29

As others have already chimed in on, the spring loaded universal holder on the trim pro 2 does hold the 5.7x28 just fine. For the price I highly recommend the 3 way cutter. My big issue with the standard cutter and the case prep pro was that my hands would cramp up from holding the small case to do the chamfer and deburr. The 3 way cutter makes doing all three steps at once, and not having to hold the case while doing it. I load a lot of 5.7x28 and .556, so the same cutter does both. I do not have the motorized one, so I am still turning it by hand.

I still use the case prep center to lightly clear the factory crimp on the first reload (makes it easier to prime with the hand primer), and to clean the pocket each time after.

towerofpower93

Post by towerofpower93 » 10 Nov 2014, 15:30

The size of the 5.7 case makes me like the Trim Pro 2. I use my Girraud for 300BO and when doing the first cut after rough cutting and forming 300BO from .223 is tough on the hands holding those short cases.

I imagine the 5.7 would have the same issues with the WFT or EZ Trim It.

cvande
Silver Member

Post by cvande » 10 Nov 2014, 19:05

I have the trim pro 1 and the 3 way cutting head with a 1/2 drill attached. It works well but it's slower. The EZ trim is surprisingly fast and leaves a nice finish cut. The EZ trim is a little hard on the fingers after a couple hundred rounds but I think a good leather glove would solve that. The brass shavings are about the same as the trim pro. Overall, I think I like the EZ trim a little more than the trim pro because of the time it saves and the consistent accuracy of the loaded round since it spaces off the shoulder same as the seating die. I get really consistent OAL with the EZ trim cases and a little more variance with the trim pro cases.

towerofpower93

Post by towerofpower93 » 11 Nov 2014, 06:39

cvande wrote:I have the trim pro 1 and the 3 way cutting head with a 1/2 drill attached. It works well but it's slower. The EZ trim is surprisingly fast and leaves a nice finish cut. The EZ trim is a little hard on the fingers after a couple hundred rounds but I think a good leather glove would solve that. The brass shavings are about the same as the trim pro. Overall, I think I like the EZ trim a little more than the trim pro because of the time it saves and the consistent accuracy of the loaded round since it spaces off the shoulder same as the seating die. I get really consistent OAL with the EZ trim cases and a little more variance with the trim pro cases.
Thank you for your personal experiences with both. Guess I'll do a little more research and come to a decision.

Thanks

Eric

Gruonder100

Post by Gruonder100 » 15 Jan 2020, 20:53

I use a dillon trim die made by cdh4 , a Redding T7press , and here’s the kicker , a competition shell holder , it’s about 1 “ tall , and the dillon motor trimmer . the die threads down about half way into the torrent, and the competition die is small enough to go up inside the torrent body to get a full length size. When you order the die , make sure you specify DILLON trim, you could also use it with any other single stage press It takes a little playing
with but with trimming , chamfering, and reaming done in one sizing step is worth the money and the patients.

pinetreebbs

Post by pinetreebbs » 05 Mar 2020, 04:55

I used the Trimit-II it trims, it combines trimming, chamfering and deburring in one step. As others have mentioned the small case is a bugger to hold on to. I resorted to using padded pliers.

https://www.blackwidowshooters.com