Loving my 5.7,, time to start reloading.

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

zonzin

Loving my 5.7,, time to start reloading.

Post by zonzin » 26 Apr 2011, 17:05

This is really a great handgun and I am looking forward to re-loading for it. I have been re-loading since I was 15, I'm 57 now so I have a bit of experience however, that has been mostly with rifle calibers. The only handgun I have loaded for is .40S&W so I want to make sure I have the recipe right before I jump it.
If you 5.7 pros could provide feedback on my proposed load I would greatly appreciate it. I typically aim for middle of the road with my loads and stay away from the "hot" end for obvious reasons. So I think this load will accomplish that.

Once fired brass
CCI 400SR
Sierra 40gr HP Varminter

Accurate #7, 7.3gr
COL 1.456

What I am not sure of is the COL as I could not find that data specifically for the 5.7 and the Sierra bullet.
The powder charge is from the Accurate load data for a Sierra 40GR SPH so it should be consistent with the 40gr Hp Varminter.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Bones
custom title: Bones

Re: Loving my 5.7,, time to start reloading.

Post by Bones » 26 Apr 2011, 18:05

Be very careful!!!!!! You may want to get in touch with iFire on the site here as he has a good bit of exp with the 5.7 round. :thumb:

I also have a set of DIES, case length gauge, shell holder If you want some for really cheap. I bought them planning to use them and saw a KABOOM first hand as I was hit by it myself. No reloading this round for me. Others have had great results. Check out iFire here on the forum.

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 26 Apr 2011, 18:09

Trim to 1.135
OAL 1.590 is the maximum or the cartridge will be to long for the magazine.
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

Post by iFire » 26 Apr 2011, 18:39

LK45s wrote:Trim to 1.135
OAL 1.590 is the maximum or the cartridge will be to long for the magazine.
^ Correct. You cannot exceed 1.590 - I would recommend going to 1.575-1.580 for your OAL.

7.3 grains of Accurate #7 with a 40 grain will be ok.

7.6-7.7 grs will be the max.
Bones wrote:Be very careful!!!!!!
^ I couldnt agree more. Pay very close attention to what your doing.

This round is unlike anything you have experienced before...

zonzin

Post by zonzin » 26 Apr 2011, 20:10

Bones wrote:Be very careful!!!!!! .....I also have a set of DIES, case length gauge, shell holder If you want some for really cheap....

That's exactly why I posted here,, to make sure I have the right data from the experts.

Thanks for the offer on the gear. I have everything already so I am good to go.

iFire

Post by iFire » 27 Apr 2011, 16:25

Hope everything goes smoothly. Post your data (fps, etc) if you get the chance :thumb:

zonzin

Post by zonzin » 28 Apr 2011, 06:47

Picked up the bullets and primers yesterday,, already had the powder,, should be loading up a trial batch this weekend. :)

iFire

Post by iFire » 28 Apr 2011, 11:33

zonzin wrote:Picked up the bullets and primers yesterday,, already had the powder,, should be loading up a trial batch this weekend. :)
:thumb:

SIRUS
custom title: Sirus

Post by SIRUS » 19 May 2011, 21:12

Hey I just want to echo zonzin's comments. Thank you for all the input, advice and warnings everyone has posted. I have read a lot of postings throughout the FN 5.7x28 Forums and there is a wealth of information here. Reloading can be a lot of fun but, it can also be fatal too. :(

I've reloaded on and off for 25 years, but this round can be very unforgiving. ( probably the reason we all love the round) :)

My starting load is Accurate #7 7.4 grains, a CCI 400 small rifle primer with a 34 grain dog town bullet from Midway.

So far I've had no issues.......but thanks for all the knowledge passed on in the postings.

SIRUS

- Tragedy is like lightening, you can usually see it before you hear it -

zonzin

Post by zonzin » 13 Jun 2011, 16:56

Well still trying to get my first batch loaded. First it took a bit to find a RCBS #45 seat. Then after fartin around with the RCBS dies for too long, and having them jack up every case fed through them, I finally dumped them and picked up some Lee dies. Much much better. Every case is perfect. Then it was off to case trimming,, don't have the right collet, on order. And so here I sit with a couple hundred cases preped for trimming. Jeesh, so much for plug and pray. ;)

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 13 Jun 2011, 17:25

You can get an RCBS Trimpro plate (and the trimpro obviously....walmart has them sometimes ) for the 5.7x28 from EA (i think they still have those)...and then ure good to go. I've found this to be the best option since you can set up the trimpro for electric power and there's an available trimmer/chamfer/deburer that makes everything easy to do in one step...

zonzin

Post by zonzin » 29 Jun 2011, 10:18

Well I now have 100 rounds of freshly loaded ammo. I will get them out this weekend and see how they do. I think the range I go to (Sac Valey) rent chrono's so I hope to post velocities as well.

Here is what I ended up loading

Once fired brass trimmed to 1.137
40gr Sierra Varminter HP
Accurate #7, 7.4 gr
CCI 400 primers
OAL 1.575

Also, I did not crimp. Is anyone crimping the 5.7?

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 29 Jun 2011, 11:16

I do sometimes, but for best results you need to modify a Lee factory crimp die (.22 Hornet or 218 Bee). Otherwise, you're stuck roll crimping only the bullets that have a cennelure....severely limiting your options. There's a detailed thread on how to do that. I used to make and sell them a year or two ago... the main problem is, sometimes if you order a Hornet or Bee die, the Lee QC is so bad that its unsuitable for modification. That's why I charged ~$40 for them since sometimes i'd have to purchase 3 or 4 before finding a good one for modification. I could use some cash so PM if you're interested and I could get started. ....or try it yourself. It's not too hard to make once you've got all the right tools and techniques.

Oh, and pressures go up (but so does consistency). So work up to max loads and don't trust uncrimped max loads...

zonzin

Post by zonzin » 29 Jun 2011, 12:08

I think for right now I will see how they shoot un-crimped. I have the powder as near copy exact on each load as humanly possible so that should give me some consistancy.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 29 Jun 2011, 12:13

good. crimp is basically for people who want to squeeze a little extra velocity out of the round, get more consistency, and make them last longer/be more water proof.

zonzin

Post by zonzin » 02 Aug 2011, 06:08

Well I was finally able to get out to the range and fire up some of these reloads. There is a very noticeable difference between them and the factory SS197's.
My reloads feel more "robust" and the report is much more deep throated than the "crack" the 197's produce. Shot 50 rounds of them and no issues at all. Cases look fine, no primer distortions or case cracking so I think I have a good recipe. I really would like to chrono these just to see where they are at.

evileye

Post by evileye » 02 Aug 2011, 14:29

Grantness
If you make up any crimp dies please pm me or make a post on them.
I want a crimp die but dont have the tools to make one. I'll even give
you $45 and pay shipping.

evileye

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 02 Aug 2011, 17:31

Grantness

I presume that your die as modified will produce a roll crimp? If you are feeling ambitious, I'd be interested. Please PM.

Thanks.

"If stupidity got us into this, why can't it get us out?" --WR
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.