Machined bullet issues?

Discuss 5.7x28mm factory ammunition
Aglifter

Machined bullet issues?

Post by Aglifter » 27 Sep 2013, 07:08

I'm just wondering if the a bullet shortage is EA's issue w. ammo.

Our fabricator and I get along pretty well, and he mentioned that a screw machine should be able to turn out quite a few bullets.

The old ones for sale on ebay might not be precise enough for bullet making - but there are numerous CNC shops in my hometown which advertises being able to make small parts with precision from the ten thousandth to the millionth.

If it'd help, I'd be happy to go talk to them.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Machined bullet issues?

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Sep 2013, 07:15

That is part of the issue but it's not just the bullets. All of the components are hard to come by for mass production of ammo.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Sep 2013, 09:01

Also it's not as easy as you or your machinist thinks it is. Machinist tolerances and bullet tolerances don't work well together no matter what type of CNC lathe your using. I went through over 5 with horrid results and then ended up going with one that made bullets already and understood how tight you have to keep them.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

panzermk2wife
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2wife » 27 Sep 2013, 10:58

Aglifter wrote:I'm just wondering if the a bullet shortage is EA's issue w. ammo.

Our fabricator and I get along pretty well, and he mentioned that a screw machine should be able to turn out quite a few bullets.

The old ones for sale on ebay might not be precise enough for bullet making - but there are numerous CNC shops in my hometown which advertises being able to make small parts with precision from the ten thousandth to the millionth.

If it'd help, I'd be happy to go talk to them.

Most people do not realize what it means on our website “Ammunition Sales have been halted due to the lack of supplies”

Supplies: Brass, Powder, Bullets, & Primers…….etc

We have to rely on the same vendors everyone on the forum buys from. But unlike most here we are buying for manufacturing not as the hobby reloader or plinking ammo…..etc So we obviously need more supplies than many here on the forum. But while many get their orders filled they are smaller than what we need to manufacture ammunition as a company. We have had back orders with ALL of our suppliers since October 5, 2012. So in 8 days it will be 1 year since we have seen any real supplies.

Any of the products we sell that are Custom (bullets, sights, barrels, mag pouches….etc) are done in small shops like ours. We prefer supporting small businesses just like us.

We would never buy "precision making equipment" off EBay. That is just asking for trouble.

The custom bullets we sell are made by a company that specializes in making bullets and has for many years. I would never have just any CNC shop make our bullets. To have the knowledge, understanding of detail, the dynamics of the bullet and time that goes into making our bullets is critical and extremely important.

Lisa
Visit Us on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/EliteAmmunition5.7x28mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leave Us Feedback on the Forum
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aglifter

Post by Aglifter » 29 Sep 2013, 17:59

OK - my hometown (Fredericksburg, TX) has a rather large number of shops which do military and aerospace contracts, so I just thought I'd offer to ask around.

I didn't think a bullet would need to be any tighter than a ten thousandth - which is why I mentioned the non-CNC screw machines.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Sep 2013, 20:32

Aglifter wrote:OK - my hometown (Fredericksburg, TX) has a rather large number of shops which do military and aerospace contracts, so I just thought I'd offer to ask around.

I didn't think a bullet would need to be any tighter than a ten thousandth - which is why I mentioned the non-CNC screw machines.

Non CNC won't work. Some of the base model plate or turret CNC won't ether.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz