PS 90 integral suppressor for 16 inch barrel

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
slimpikins

PS 90 integral suppressor for 16 inch barrel

Post by slimpikins » 29 Nov 2010, 14:12

I got my form 1 to build an integral type suppressor to fit over the stock 16 inch barrel..... I designed it to be a quick detach system to fit over the barrel which allows use on any standard PS 90. I'll build it from titanium to keep the weight down along with having great strength and corrosion resistance.

This is going to be a fun project :)

swenk

Re: PS 90 integral suppressor for 16 inch barrel

Post by swenk » 29 Nov 2010, 16:44

We love original mods, cant wait to see it.
Please post pics as the build is in progress!!

soap_box

Post by soap_box » 29 Nov 2010, 16:59

That sounds like a really cool project!

slimpikins

Post by slimpikins » 29 Nov 2010, 17:07

If you have ever seen the Gemtech fake suppressor which slides over the barrel, this will look very similar. It will have a QD sleeve which fits with a very close tolerance over the base of the barrel at the receiver and the lugs will engage the suppressor to lock with a quarter turn. It will use a reflex type of system to trap the gases internally and the can will be fully able to disassemble for cleaning. The titanium will be sandblasted to a rough finish to accept the KG phenolic ceramic heat set finish in park grey color.

I designed it all this way to avoid having to use a short barrel requiring the SBR registration and costs involved to modify the gun. Plus I like the idea of having a full 16 inch barrel for accuracy benefits. I suppose I am trying to have my cake and eat it too....

romer522

Post by romer522 » 29 Nov 2010, 17:19

If this design ever made it to a MFG. I would have to re purchase a PS90.

slimpikins

Post by slimpikins » 29 Nov 2010, 17:25

One never knows ;)

I might have to make it available at some point if it works as I hope that it will.... but testing and time will tell

Bones
custom title: Bones

Post by Bones » 29 Nov 2010, 18:14

That is a great idea. How much of the can will actually extend pass the barrel to capture the gasses? What do you think the overall weight will be?

slimpikins

Post by slimpikins » 30 Nov 2010, 05:37

This should not be much larger than the Gemtech fake suppressor as my design calls for the heavy lifting to be done by the main chamber and not be dependent upon a long section in front of the barrel. Over all it should be about the size of a screw on suppressor in front of the 10 inch Short barrel. This will have the look of a plain vanilla suppressor on the NFA SBR version; yet I will have a full length 16 inch barrel PS 90 under this QD slip on Suppressor.

No idea on weight yet, but I'll guess it to be around 14 oz. with most of the weight to be falling towards the receiver for balance.

The only downside of this is the cost. It will be very high as Titanium is over the top in expense. I'll bet the cost of the raw materials will top the cost buying an off the shelf steel can from someone like YH. But this will be half the weight, corrosion-proof and easy to take apart to clean. Who could ask for anything more? :)

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 30 Nov 2010, 06:53

All the reflex designs that I've seen do have a baffle stack and do add some length. The main advantage of the reflex design is the additional volume that's available from the over-the-barrel section. The "heavy lifting" is still performed by the traditional section, but is augmented by the additional volume.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Bones
custom title: Bones

Post by Bones » 30 Nov 2010, 16:14

Sounds like a sweet idea. I would love to see/hear it in action