Colt SBR Question

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
Post Reply
57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Colt SBR Question

Post by 57js » 18 Mar 2012, 17:36

I am looking into getting my first SBR, and the models I am looking at are the Colt LE 6933 and the Colt LE 6945. Does anyone have any experience with either of these rifles, and if so, which one is recommended and why?

Thank you.

SpaceCoyote
Junior Member
Posts: 143
Joined: 17 Nov 2008, 11:21
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Colt SBR Question

Post by SpaceCoyote » 19 Mar 2012, 09:16

I don't have any experience with these specific colt models but I do have a fair amount of experience with SBR'd ARs in general. Correct me if I'm wrong but based on a quick internet search it appears the difference between these models is that the 6945 sports a 10.3" bbl with a factory installed free float handguard and flip-up front sight gas block whereas the 6933 is an 11.5" bbl with standard A-frame front sight and standard ar handguards.

My personal opinion is that 12-14.5" bbl is ideal for SBR'd AR, in 5.56mm at least. With sub 12" bbl you will sacrifice a lot of velocity and get increased wear & tear on your gas system, bolt carrier & silencer if you have one. Thats quite a trade off to save 2". Some of the gas system issues can be alleviated by heavier buffers but that still won't gain you any velocity. Again this is my opinion, there are plenty of guys out there with sub 12" bbls that love them.

Food for thought anyway. But if you are stuck on these colt models I would lean toward the 6933 as you're getting an extra inch of bbl, also I like the traditional AR front sight post and don't feel it gets in my way even when using a red dot. Also don't think free float hand guards are that necessary on a cqb carbine. Either way if you change your mind you can always change hand guards & front sight/gas block. And the 6933 should be cheaper but I didn't even look at price.

Another point is that if you're willing to trade velocity for compactness then why not consider a 5.7x28mm SBR'd PS90? This is a 5.7mm forum after all.

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: Colt SBR Question

Post by 57js » 19 Mar 2012, 12:19

SpaceCoyote wrote:I don't have any experience with these specific colt models but I do have a fair amount of experience with SBR'd ARs in general. Correct me if I'm wrong but based on a quick internet search it appears the difference between these models is that the 6945 sports a 10.3" bbl with a factory installed free float handguard and flip-up front sight gas block whereas the 6933 is an 11.5" bbl with standard A-frame front sight and standard ar handguards.

My personal opinion is that 12-14.5" bbl is ideal for SBR'd AR, in 5.56mm at least. With sub 12" bbl you will sacrifice a lot of velocity and get increased wear & tear on your gas system, bolt carrier & silencer if you have one. Thats quite a trade off to save 2". Some of the gas system issues can be alleviated by heavier buffers but that still won't gain you any velocity. Again this is my opinion, there are plenty of guys out there with sub 12" bbls that love them.

Food for thought anyway. But if you are stuck on these colt models I would lean toward the 6933 as you're getting an extra inch of bbl, also I like the traditional AR front sight post and don't feel it gets in my way even when using a red dot. Also don't think free float hand guards are that necessary on a cqb carbine. Either way if you change your mind you can always change hand guards & front sight/gas block. And the 6933 should be cheaper but I didn't even look at price.

Another point is that if you're willing to trade velocity for compactness then why not consider a 5.7x28mm SBR'd PS90? This is a 5.7mm forum after all.
Those are the main differences between the two models though the 6945 has a better quality barrel but some propriety parts. I am leaning towards the 6933. The 6933 is $200 cheaper which is the tax stamp right there.

I haven't found a PS90 SBR at a price close to the Colt otherwise I would seriously consider it. I have a FsN as well as a AR57. The 11" barrel on the AR57 (at least I think it is 11" since I haven't seen it in a while) is interesting to me, but since I don't own a PS90, a SBR might be worth it. Not too sure the benefits of a SBR PS90 though.

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10644
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Colt SBR Question

Post by blueorison » 19 Mar 2012, 16:10

SPACECOYOTE YOU'RE BACKKKKKKK

YAYYYYYYY


Wait, what was this thread about, again?

:lmao:

PS90 SBR for the winnage.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

SpaceCoyote
Junior Member
Posts: 143
Joined: 17 Nov 2008, 11:21
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Colt SBR Question

Post by SpaceCoyote » 19 Mar 2012, 19:01

Someone's got to keep an eye on you blue :p

Again correct me if price on colt is wrong but looks like 6933 runs around $1300. You should be able to do a ps90 SBR for around $1800 so yeah that's a $500 difference. Not including tax stamp in prices as that's the same either way.

Benefits of ps90 SBR vs ar57 SBR? I guess it's a matter of opinion but I think the ps90 is more ergo than an AR but if you are already comfortable with your ar57 then there's something to be said for that. Also Ps90 SBR is around 20" in OAL whereas 10" bbl AR is around 26" stock retracted & 30" extended. Personally I've had more problems with my ar57 than my ps90 and seems I've seen fewer people with ps90 problems than ar57 problems in my years of browsing this forum. But plenty of guys have smooth running ar57s also.

Back to ar15s though. Have you considered getting one in 6.8spc or .300 BLK? Both of these cartridges were developed with short barreled performance in mind. My AR SBR is 10" bbl in .300 BLK and I've been quite pleased. But if you want to stick to 5.56 for wal-mart availability reasons I can understand that.

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: Colt SBR Question

Post by 57js » 20 Mar 2012, 09:15

SpaceCoyote wrote:Someone's got to keep an eye on you blue :p

Again correct me if price on colt is wrong but looks like 6933 runs around $1300. You should be able to do a ps90 SBR for around $1800 so yeah that's a $500 difference. Not including tax stamp in prices as that's the same either way.

Benefits of ps90 SBR vs ar57 SBR? I guess it's a matter of opinion but I think the ps90 is more ergo than an AR but if you are already comfortable with your ar57 then there's something to be said for that. Also Ps90 SBR is around 20" in OAL whereas 10" bbl AR is around 26" stock retracted & 30" extended. Personally I've had more problems with my ar57 than my ps90 and seems I've seen fewer people with ps90 problems than ar57 problems in my years of browsing this forum. But plenty of guys have smooth running ar57s also.

Back to ar15s though. Have you considered getting one in 6.8spc or .300 BLK? Both of these cartridges were developed with short barreled performance in mind. My AR SBR is 10" bbl in .300 BLK and I've been quite pleased. But if you want to stick to 5.56 for wal-mart availability reasons I can understand that.
The 6933 is $1300 depending on where you find it, but I don't know how much a PS90 SBR is. $1800 does sound right since the regular PS90 is around that price. Add in the $200 tax stamp plus $50 transfer fee to get to my dealer, it all adds up.

The PS90 does look more ergonomic, but I never held one. I never had a problem with my regular length AR57. What kinds of problems did you have?

I have thought about 6.8spc and .300BLK. I was thinking of getting a regular length upper receiver in one of those calibers, but decided against it a few months ago. Ammo availability and price as well as upper receiver choice had me delay it. I wanted to go with the 5.56 since I have that ammo already as I have a 5.56 already with a 16" barrel. I suspect I will get a .300BLK, but I plan on waiting a bit to see what additional options are available as well as hoping ammo becomes more available and cheaper. I can always get a .300BLK upper receiver, and put it on one of my lower receivers.

Thank you for your great information.

SpaceCoyote
Junior Member
Posts: 143
Joined: 17 Nov 2008, 11:21
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Colt SBR Question

Post by SpaceCoyote » 21 Mar 2012, 11:36

I was basing the $1800 price on getting a stock ps90 for $1500 and sending to a place like tornado tech which will cut down your barrel, manufacture a 1/2x28 adapter & engrave it for $300. I'm sure it can be done cheaper but I was trying to get a ball park estimate for you.

Haven't had major problems with my ar57 but it's more fickle about feeding some bullets than my ps90.

At one point colt ARs used a different diameter takedown pin than all other ARs which meant you had to use colt upper or some type of plug adapter. Is this still true of colt ARs?

I was really never excited about SBR'd ARs until I read about the performance of .300 BLK in short bbls. Thats why I built mine in .300 BLK.

srt-4_jon
Senior Member
Posts: 868
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 10:19

Re: Colt SBR Question

Post by srt-4_jon » 21 Mar 2012, 13:48

colts used bigger trigger pins, not takedown pins iirc. last i knew, they went back to normal size. i chose my sbr ar in 9mm, 22lr, and 223. i can actually load 223 for about the same price as 9mm so it was a no brainer over 300blk for me. i will hunt with my 458 win mag and my hd gun in a shotgun. everything else is just a rance toy so price per shot is important.

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: Colt SBR Question

Post by 57js » 21 Mar 2012, 16:14

SpaceCoyote wrote:I was basing the $1800 price on getting a stock ps90 for $1500 and sending to a place like tornado tech which will cut down your barrel, manufacture a 1/2x28 adapter & engrave it for $300. I'm sure it can be done cheaper but I was trying to get a ball park estimate for you.

Haven't had major problems with my ar57 but it's more fickle about feeding some bullets than my ps90.

At one point colt ARs used a different diameter takedown pin than all other ARs which meant you had to use colt upper or some type of plug adapter. Is this still true of colt ARs?

I was really never excited about SBR'd ARs until I read about the performance of .300 BLK in short bbls. Thats why I built mine in .300 BLK.
The only time I had a problem with my AR57 was when I tried to put a magazine in the magazine well to catch the brass without any modification to the magazines. Never had any other problems.

I am looking at the .300 BLK. That does look interesting, and I might go that route for the next SBR upper receiver down the road.

SpaceCoyote
Junior Member
Posts: 143
Joined: 17 Nov 2008, 11:21
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Colt SBR Question

Post by SpaceCoyote » 23 Mar 2012, 05:35

Your entirely right it was trigger pins not takedown pins. I was digging that fact out from deep in the memory banks & got it mixed up.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests