Got Vortex SPARC II red dot for my PS90 (& other goodies)

Discuss rifles chambered for the 5.7x28mm; P90, PS90, and AR57.
Litehiker

Got Vortex SPARC II red dot for my PS90 (& other goodies)

Post by Litehiker » 11 Jul 2017, 19:44

For a few years I've had a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on my PS90 knowing it was an "OK-for-the-money" red dot. I've never had any problems with it but I knew it was not very rugged. Whaddya want for $89.?

Finally I got a Vortex SPARC II for it and am very happy. I've seen a Youtube video of the SPARC II being badly abused on purpose and it held up amazingly well. I'd say it would pass most military durability tests.

Certainly for a low recoiling rifle like the PS90 it will be fine even if it gets knocked about. On my 12 ga. Benelli M1 shotgun I think it would be good for turkey hunting. It is guaranteed to withstand the recoil and does have Vortex' Lifetime Guarantee.

So my PS90 is READY TO ROLL! And I've got over 1,000 rounds of ammo to feed it.

OK zombies, come and get it!

Eric B.
Last edited by Litehiker on 10 Aug 2017, 10:52, edited 2 times in total.

dae_giovanni

Re: Got Vortex SPARC II red dot for my PS90 (& other goodies)

Post by dae_giovanni » 13 Jul 2017, 07:30

nice setup! now you just need to SBR the thing... :D

i am about to mount optics on my PS90, and have in the past considered that same Bushnell unit. i am currently looking at a few models, including the SPARC II (as well as a Holosun HS403G and a Primary Arms micro dot).

my issue-- surprise, surprise-- is mount height over bore. I have an low-profile rail instead of the usual options, and wow, that helps a lot.

but i still want to avoid optics that are 'too high'. is this not a problem with the SPARC II? some versions i've seen have the mount, which looks like it would place the thing way too high.

i've also considered a 3x magnifier, but i am worried about everything lining up if i use a smaller optic (like the Holosun with low-profile mount). that said, this is not really a firearm that needs a magnifier, since it's more short- to medium-range... just ruminating...

any thoughts on the SPARC II height? do you have any images of it mounted to your PS90 that you wouldn't mind sharing? thanks!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Jul 2017, 11:09

Or you could go with the ring sight designed for the PS90 and not have an overbore issues.

http://www.eliteammunition.com/aluminum ... 25947.html
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

dae_giovanni

Post by dae_giovanni » 20 Jul 2017, 05:45

thanks for the link, Panzer. i am aware of the ring sight but have not been a big fan. not in love with the reticle, nor am i excited about waiting 3-4 months to receive it.

that said, i have never shot one. perhaps if i had some hands-on time, i would be swayed... something to think about!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 21 Jul 2017, 13:40

Which reticle are you familiar with?

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

dae_giovanni

Post by dae_giovanni » 03 Aug 2017, 07:23

Panzer, that's one of the ones i'd seen online (and was 'familiar with'). thank you for posting that!

you may find it interesting that since creating this post, i have decided that yeah, i really do want a ring sight. :lol: if you would like to huck a few "i told you so's" my way, i understand.

i will reconsider Elite Ammunition's offering, but the frustrating thing is that i found a ring sight for half the price elsewhere. only one teeny problem-- 'elsewhere' no longer offers it for sale.

that price point was perfect, because if i do not like it for some reason, it's "only" $200 bucks. for $400, i'd BETTER love the thing...

do you know of any other manufacturers that offer the ring sight for the PS90? really appreciate the help.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 04 Aug 2017, 10:50

I am an EA and we are the exclusive North American distributor.

That website was playing games. To good to be true don't yea think?
We have reduced our prices though since we are importing more of them the price to us has been reduced and we passed that savings on. The more we sell the more the price will come down.

Also if it does not work for you, I/EA have this return policy.

With Receipt:
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase
We will provide a refund within 30 days of purchase
Exchange the item within 90 days of purchase
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

dae_giovanni

Post by dae_giovanni » 07 Aug 2017, 12:11

i'd be more likely to believe they simply offered an inferior, now-discontinued, product than to accuse them of game-playing. it wasn't the only place i found them for that price. seems moot, either way.

that said, i have found the MC-10-80 on another website for less, and the product is in stock-- no need to place an order and then wait 3-4 months. even if EA was willing to match that price, if i can avoid waiting a third of a year to receive my product, i will...

hey, thanks for chatting it over with me. i really appreciate the information!

Litehiker

Post by Litehiker » 10 Aug 2017, 10:38

The Vortex SPARC II ships with a low mount And high mount and a shim as well. The shim can be used with either mount.

With the TROS Low Mount and the SPARC II low mount my eye

comes right up to the sight line every time. No need for an aftermarket cheekpiece.

MY PS90 MODS:
1. CF reinforced polymer extended charging handles (ugly but I like the feel better than the nice looking aluminum handles)
2. TROS Low Mount replacing high FN rail
3. SPARC II red dot sight (much better field of view than the FNH optics)
4. Magpul left Pic rail W/flush cup hole (for Magpul Paraclip adaptor ring
5. Magpul Paraclip adaptor rings front and rear (fits flush cup sling mounts)
6. flush cup sling mount for stock thru-bolt near butt pad heel
7. aluminum hammer (for better trigger pull and faster trigger reset)
8. Delrin rollers for my 6 FN mags
9. Two double mag pouches (custom made in Multicam Cordura W/QR Fastex buckles from The Vest Guy )

And yes, I am going to get an SBR next. It's the nearest thing to having a P90 and is SO baddddassery!

Eric B.