Is the AR 57 CA compliant?

Discuss rifles chambered for the 5.7x28mm; P90, PS90, and AR57.
drbgjung

Is the AR 57 CA compliant?

Post by drbgjung » 10 Jan 2017, 10:15

Hey everyone. Is the AR 57 CA compliant? If not can I make it CA compliant? What would I need to do?
PS: I can't move out of CA.

Thanks

HaloFreaks

Re: Is the AR 57 CA compliant?

Post by HaloFreaks » 10 Jan 2017, 18:42

It likely isn't. The gun can accept a magazine without disassembly of the rifle. In addition FN's idea of a low capacity mag is to actually take a regular 50 rd PS90 mag and stick a block of plastic in there to occupy the space of 20 rds to make a 30 rounder. I bought a 50 and a 30 removed the plastic block and now I have two 50s... In Cali that's extremely illegal. In addition it violates these other bits and pieces of the law:

A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon. (it goes on a regular lower so you need something special)
A folding or telescoping stock. (see above)
A flash suppressor. (The barrel has a 'wire-cutter' type three prong flash hider)

You need to remove the flash hider completely and weld a featureless block (no threaded barrels.) Then you need to permanently fix the mag to 10 rounds. and then finally permanently fix it to the rifle (which is inherently impossible to do.)

drbgjung

Post by drbgjung » 11 Jan 2017, 12:07

Thanks for the info....Gotta love Cali bureaucracy.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 13 Jan 2017, 10:54

Everything HaloFreaks said... except make a bullet button type release for the mag. It doesn't have to be permanently fixed, but require a tool to release. Unless things have changed in 3 years. I stopped caring and paying attention when I left that sh!thole.
Embrace the Suck

Armed Eye Doc

Post by Armed Eye Doc » 16 Jan 2017, 16:56

In case you haven't looked up what California has done to law-abiding gun owners, here is a summary of a ballot measure that PASSED and is now, or soon to be, law. (Emphasis is mine.)
https://ballotpedia.org/California_Prop ... _Ban_(2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Requirements to buy ammo
Proposition 63 was designed to require individuals who wish to purchase ammunition to first obtain a four-year permit from the California Department of Justice. The measure required dealers to check this permit before selling ammunition.[1] California enacted legislation in July 2016 that repealed this provision and instead mandated dealers to check with the Department of Justice to determine if the buyer is authorized to purchase.

Licenses to sell ammo
In July 2016, California enacted legislation to regulate the sale of ammunition. The legislation required individuals and businesses to obtain a one-year license from the California Department of Justice to sell ammunition. Hunters selling 50 rounds or less of ammunition per month for hunting trips were not required to obtain a license.

Proposition 63 established a misdemeanor penalty for failing to follow these dealer licensing requirements.

Large-capacity magazines
California banned large-capacity magazines for most individuals in 2000. Individuals who had large-capacity magazines before 2000 were allowed to keep the magazines. Proposition 63 removed the ownership exemption for pre-2000 owners of large-capacity magazines. The measure provided for charging Individuals who do not comply with it with an infraction.

Court removal of firearms
Proposition 63 enacted a court process that attempts to ensure prohibited individuals do not continue to have firearms. The measure required courts to inform individuals prohibited from owning a firearm that they must turn their firearms over to local law enforcement, sell their firearms to a licensed dealer, or give their firearms to a dealer for storage. Proposition 63 also required probation officers to check and report on what prohibited individuals did with their firearms.

Out-of-state purchases
Starting in July 2019, the July 2016 legislation would have prohibited most California residents from purchasing ammunition outside the state and bringing it into the state without first having it delivered to a licensed dealer. Proposition 63 moved up the start date of this law to January 2018. It also made bringing out-of-state ammunition into the state without first delivering it to a dealer an infraction.

Reporting theft
The measure required dealers of ammunition to report a theft or loss within 48 hours. It required individuals to report a theft or loss within five days to local law enforcement. Failure to report was considered an infraction under the initiative.

Penalty for theft
Proposition 47 of 2014 made stealing an item that is valued at less than $950 a misdemeanor. Therefore, stealing a gun valued at less than $950 was a misdemeanor.

Proposition 63 made stealing a gun, including one valued at less than $950, a felony punishable by up to three years in prison