Inexpensive 5.7x28mm single-shot

Discuss rifles chambered for the 5.7x28mm; P90, PS90, and AR57.
Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Inexpensive 5.7x28mm single-shot

Post by Esteves » 07 Dec 2008, 20:32

Another set of Steve's whacky ideas...

Background:
So, T/C has offered 5.7x28 chambered barrels for a while now.
Before they got in the game, a few custom barrel makers decided to play first.
A Remington short action can be converted to a singleshot "bench rest" gun with about $400 in parts from Midway.
All of the above are fairly pricey.

So how about the NEF/H&R?
Well, they don't (yet) offer 5.7x28 as part of their barrel accessory program. ( http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

But what about a shotgun insert? ( http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
...insert barrels have a standard length of 10 inches and are $65.00 each.
INSERTS FOR 410 SHOTGUNS ARE AVAILABLE IN:
22 LR 22 Mag 22 Hornet 218 Bee
Elsewhere on the mcace site, they say "WILDCATS, ANTIQUE AND ODDBALL CALIBERS ARE OUR SPECIALTY!"

If a .410 shotgun insert can handle a hornet or a bee it ought to be able to handle the 5.7x28mm.

The NEF Survivor in .410/.45LC can be had for less than $200.
Add an insert for $65-$95 (depending on length desired)
and total cost is still less than $300.

The extractor/ejector situation is probably less than ideal with an insert, so figure another $10 in parts and a fair amount of dremel work to modify the setup above to directly extract the 5.7x28 empties.

If the insert is long enough to protrude beyond the "host" barrel, it could be threaded M10x1 for the FsN-specific suppressors.

With a 10" insert and a modified host barrel along the lines of the SBX ( http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/vie ... ategory=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) one could have a relatively light, relatively short, relatively inexpensive single-shot with as much single-shot punch as a P90 that would probably be (slightly) quieter.
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: Inexpensive 5.7x28mm single-shot

Post by Cyberfly » 07 Dec 2008, 20:59

Whoah...okay. Wacky, yes. Cool? Oh, yes!
If you follow through with this 'idea' of yours, you have GOT to post some pics and a range report.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 07 Dec 2008, 21:25

the trick is acquiring a custom insert :ponder: Im guessing part of the reason why the .22lr/mag inserts are $65-95 is that those are common calibers and can(are) mass produced??

T/C can be as little as $285 for the barrel and $100-$200 for a used T/C frame.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 08 Dec 2008, 01:11

Good thoughts.

Again, the mcace site says "wildcats, antique and oddball calibers are our specialty"
and "Each insert is custom made."
and on the rifle inserts page "Hundreds of other calibers are available! We specialize in foreign, antique and wildcat calibers-all you have to do is send us a fired unsized cast or chamber casting for an exact match to your rifle. For these special orders, please allow 8-12 weeks for delivery."

After a bit more digging, I found someone else who will actually "make" a 5.7x28 barrel for the handi rifles.
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post ... id=3062302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://dandtcustomgunworks.com./index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 08 Dec 2008, 05:32

Interesting, I have been waiting for a ghost of the 5.7 PBR. If one of these could be made on the cheap, it would definately be worth looking into.
كاف

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 08 Dec 2008, 12:27

I don't believe in 5.7x28 PBRs ghosts. At least not until Impact has pictures of them on their website and says that they have them in stock. ;)
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 08 Dec 2008, 14:53

True! :laugh:
كاف

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 08 Dec 2008, 15:55

Higher (much!) end barrel inserts: Krieghoff Insert Barrels - The EL-65
http://www.krieghoff.com/content/view/696/219/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 25 Jan 2009, 19:44

Another set of relatively inexpensive inserts.
http://www.eaacorp.com/parts-more-acces ... serts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are model-specific, but appear to deal with the extraction issue better than some of the others.
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Magnum Wheel Man

Post by Magnum Wheel Man » 27 Jan 2009, 05:25

The side by side is interesting...

I got my chamber reamer a couple weeks ago, & my local builder / buddy has just done up 2 barrels for our Contenders...

... mine is a 10" barrel using a piece of a Sheilen 223 1 in 8 twist barrel that I bought ( the whole barrel ) for a faster twist 223 carbine barrel for my Contender... so we used the left over for my 10" 5.7 barrel...

... for his, he used a take off 22-250 barrel with some throat errosion to make a 20" Contender barrel, by cutting off the bad part of the barrel & the old chamber...

with the chamber reamers getting more common now, I'd think the Savages would be a good choice, wih thier thread on barrels you could wack off the existing chamber on any 22 Hornet, 223, 22-250 or similar, rethread & rechamber ???

Magnum Wheel Man

Post by Magnum Wheel Man » 30 Jan 2009, 05:41

My Contender barrel is done, but I'm waiting on my reloading dies ( they were back ordered ), before I finish the chambering, throating & headspacing on the barrel... hope the get here soon

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 13 Feb 2009, 15:43

Esteves wrote:After a bit more digging, I found someone else who will actually "make" a 5.7x28 barrel for the handi rifles.
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post ... id=3062302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://dandtcustomgunworks.com./index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And another 'smith who does similar types of work (barrel stubbing):
http://www.chasemountaincustom.com/viewtopic.php?t=380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 17 Feb 2009, 20:58

And another whacky idea.

The NEF Sportster is essentially the same gun as any of the other Handi-Rifles, except that the firing pin is offset for rimfire cartridges. This implies that the rimfire barrels are centered on the same line as centerfire barrels.

Assuming that one had a centerfire Handi-Rifle and a rimfire Sportster, the barrels should swap (perhaps with some fitting.) The rimfire barrel could then be rechambered (and the extractor tweaked) to 5.7x28mm on the centerfire action.

.22 WMR might be a better choice for a donor barrel than .22LR since the dimensions tend to be less tight. Too tight? Who knows. Early hornets used rimfire barrels, but also used smaller diameter lead bullets.

Why bother? An entire Sportster can be picked up for around $150.00
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Magnum Wheel Man

Post by Magnum Wheel Man » 18 Feb 2009, 04:45

My Contender barrel is now done, ( well less a finish coat on the outside of the barrel )( my Lyman dies have arrived ) & I had less into making both barrels that we did, than buying one base "Sportster rifle"... of course I already had the Contender actions... I got my scope mounted last week, & am looking for a good day weather wise to fire a few factory rounds through the gun...

I was pleased & concerned with the 1st batch of once fired brass that I sized... the 5.7 auto pistol does a great job of stretching the brass, all the once fired cases ( I bought a 1000 once fired cases from "The Brass Man" )needed "alot" of trimmig, also the shoulders are moved further forward "alot"... but they moved back into place with no brass loss... I'm looking forward to shooting some reloads, but also comparing the factory rounds fired in the Contender barrel ( I'm expecting less brass stretch & the shoulder to remain in place on the fixed breech gun )

another thought I had, ( & we did this ), was throating the chamber deeper... the gun will easily fire factory ammo, but will likely get best accuracy with longer bullets seated out further than what would fit in my auto pistols magazines... this keeps the bullets bases more out of the case, increasing case capacity, & reducing pressures...

next is actually working up some loads... should be a fun "shooting" summer coming in '09

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 24 Mar 2009, 06:22

Esteves wrote:Higher (much!) end barrel inserts: Krieghoff Insert Barrels - The EL-65
http://www.krieghoff.com/content/view/696/219/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Same idea, but from scratch:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 1098710803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 15 Feb 2010, 23:30

Vanessa (esteveswife) must really love me. :D I now own a 22" .308 Handi-Rifle (SB2-D30)

It looks like this one:
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Fudd

Post by Fudd » 25 Feb 2010, 12:21

Here's a thought.

What about a Springfield Armory M6 Survival rifle/shotgun single-shot combo in 5.7x28 over a .410 shotgun? The original M6 Scout issued to USAF crews was a .22 Hornet over the .410.

.22 Hornet SAAMI spec is 20,000 CUP. 5.7x28mm is 50,000 PSI. Not sure how the differing scales would cross over to compare the two, but 30,000 units of something different might be a bit much.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Feb 2010, 14:13

Hi Elmer,

Awhile back folks were looking into it. I think everyone just didnot have the time. Here is a thought and a very easy conversion, heck the firing pi would not even have to be moved. What if you replaced the shotgun barrel with a 5.7 tube?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

User42

Post by User42 » 09 Mar 2010, 08:49

Hah Fudd, I was thinking the same thing only with the insert in the .410 barrel. That way you have a .22/5.7 combo, so you can use the cheaper ammo for the close range shots.
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

Vibe

Post by Vibe » 27 Mar 2010, 06:22

Fudd wrote:Here's a thought.

What about a Springfield Armory M6 Survival rifle/shotgun single-shot combo in 5.7x28 over a .410 shotgun? The original M6 Scout issued to USAF crews was a .22 Hornet over the .410.

.22 Hornet SAAMI spec is 20,000 CUP. 5.7x28mm is 50,000 PSI. Not sure how the differing scales would cross over to compare the two, but 30,000 units of something different might be a bit much.
Heck if we're wishing for remakes of survival rifles...How about an AR-5 in 5.7x28...not single shot - but cool.