Mini Rancher 5.7? What do y'all think?

Discuss rifles chambered for the 5.7x28mm; P90, PS90, and AR57.
Piston Driven
custom title: Exultant Ruler

Re: Mini Rancher 5.7? What do y'all think?

Post by Piston Driven » 18 Jul 2012, 08:37

I was figurine probably some monkeying :monkey: , but you still don't like the notion of a AR mag, or a Ruger mag in really high capacity, assuming measurement permit, it a 5.7 drum should be fairly easy to make and fairly small. Also a lot better for a CQB weapon that I kinda told them it would be perfect at, and I don't know if it would make sense that the Carbine is less expensive (most likely it would be < $1200 for a Five SeveN). Oh yeah Im also a stock holder so it would be good if they made a little extra dough on proprietary mags! :lmao: :laugh:

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 18 Jul 2012, 09:00

That is one huge drawback of the current Ranch Rifle. I had hopes of making my Mini14 take AR mags, but that's just not possible without modifying each mag you want to use, so I sold it, & got a Mini30. It IS possible to make it accept actual AK mags, but it will take a lot of work.

The Ranch Rifle is superb. Currently, it is sloppily made, and overshadowed by the AR platform. Making it more market friendly (mags, optics, caliber, etc) would make it more popular. Rifle, not mag, sales should be the goal! Proprietary mags and mounts have really held it back.

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 18 Jul 2012, 09:08

Mister Freeze wrote:That is one huge drawback of the current Ranch Rifle. I had hopes of making my Mini14 take AR mags, but that's just not possible without modifying each mag you want to use, so I sold it, & got a Mini30. It IS possible to make it accept actual AK mags, but it will take a lot of work.

The Ranch Rifle is superb. Currently, it is sloppily made, and overshadowed by the AR platform. Making it more market friendly (mags, optics, caliber, etc) would make it more popular. Rifle, not mag, sales should be the goal! Proprietary mags and mounts have really held it back.
Pretty true I was kidding, I would hope Rugers business wasn't entirely Magazines! Its sloppy but deigned to be arguably more reliable ( DI vs Piston debate) and Ruger does have a very bad problem with limiting its own products. I would also be interested in a Mini5.45, cheapness and performance are very admirable. I couldn't personally justify a $1200 pistol and a carbine that was less! Or maybe that would make it more justifiable? :ponder: However, I also suggested a Sr556 in a 5.7 with high capacity mags, SBR, amazing etc, but thats more real world and military application and if thy made a affordable enough hundred round mag, they would as Nicki Minaj says have the "bees in the trap" :laugh: !

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 18 Jul 2012, 10:44

Perhaps Ruger would be mor inclined toward a system: carbine and pistol combo?

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 18 Jul 2012, 10:54

The FsN or their own system? It would be challenging to do but most likely (if affordable ) very rewarding for them and gun owners. :skep:

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 18 Jul 2012, 11:03

Piston Driven wrote::ttiwwp: Cant see pics, so what he do Mista Freeze? He modified a AR?? Don't see how he could do the bolt and barrel and fit the mags??? Did he say how and I just read over it? :ponder: More questions than answers! :laugh:
Try this thread here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 18 Jul 2012, 11:10

Esteves wrote:
Piston Driven wrote::ttiwwp: Cant see pics, so what he do Mista Freeze? He modified a AR?? Don't see how he could do the bolt and barrel and fit the mags??? Did he say how and I just read over it? :ponder: More questions than answers! :laugh:
Try this thread here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok thanks! Seems familiar, I think I can vaguely remember it. But yeah its been done from a lot of hard work, Ruger could offer a $500 dollar conversion for us mortals ! I think a mini or sr556, SBR with a drum mag would be significantly cooler? The ultimate close engagement firearm??? :ponder:

Lobo
Gold Member

Post by Lobo » 18 Jul 2012, 21:28

srt-4_jon wrote:I haven't met a person that actually likes the Mini 14.

I have one (tactical mini 14), like it......between that and my PS-90...life is good (till I get a pay raise and see something else nice.....)
one of the Col's I work with has a ranch mini 14 and loves it (his dad had a mini 30, likes it)

just our .02 cents :)

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...."
William Shakespeare, Henry V

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 19 Jul 2012, 07:52

The mini rancher is a cool little gun very reliable, rugged and used to be dirt cheap, however the 5.7 was practically made to marry with the Mini, to be more of a every mans round and more popular. The FN products are excellent but for a P90 I could get two Mini's which arguably is more reliable and again half the price. Having a drop out magazine also enables you to be able to get drum magazines :D , anything past that is just gravy! :laugh:

Kilibreaux

Post by Kilibreaux » 04 Aug 2012, 03:37

All the Mini 14 needs to be LOVED is a dab of RTV Silicone Sealant inside the operating rod.

A dab of RTV sealant causes the operating rod to "index" onto the bolt lug thus off-loading the gas piston which is mounted on the barrel.

What the RTV sealant does is focus the force of bolt closure onto the bolt LUG rather than the barrel which shrinks groups dramatically!

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 04 Aug 2012, 11:29

:D The 5.7 round would make it extra loved!

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 04 Aug 2012, 20:22

Kilibreaux wrote:All the Mini 14 needs to be LOVED is a dab of RTV Silicone Sealant inside the operating rod.

A dab of RTV sealant causes the operating rod to "index" onto the bolt lug thus off-loading the gas piston which is mounted on the barrel.

What the RTV sealant does is focus the force of bolt closure onto the bolt LUG rather than the barrel which shrinks groups dramatically!

More specifics, please.

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 04 Aug 2012, 21:42

:p The mini Rancher was never meant to be the most accurate gun, It was supposed to be a every mans reliable gun!

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 05 Aug 2012, 09:22

Don't they make a target version of the mini-14 w/ tighter tolerances, barrel dampener, etc? That kinda tells me that they are acknowledging how inherently inaccurate stock mini-14's can often be.

I'd like a high-cap mag like this http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SureFire ... ag5-60.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (can't tell exactly how thats stacked)? It would be more reliable than a drum and might hold almost as many rounds... I've been practicing with my AR57 mags, but can't quite ever execute a mag change as fast as with a normal AR.

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 05 Aug 2012, 13:57

:drool: Sure fire mags would be pretty sweet too! They probably never will, just because its so expensive, ssh a hard build and risky :( :cry:

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 07 Aug 2012, 11:49

I'd only want it if it took Five SeveN magazines.

Honestly, with a threaded barrel Five SeveN in hand, i seriously question the need to be lugging around a rifle at all in any kind of a urban or civilian self defense scenario, unless the threat is on 4 legs that is.

This will be doubly true if Elite ever does come out with that 8" barrel that occupies Jay's daydreams. :D

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 07 Aug 2012, 14:37

:laugh: WHY? Because a high cap mag would mag it the perfect CQB, with a lil extra barrel length than the 5.7, on a cheap proven platform! :suicide: I just blew my own mind!