How reliable is your fiveseven?

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

n16ht5

How reliable is your fiveseven?

Post by n16ht5 » 28 Jan 2011, 00:24

I was out dirt biking with my fiveseven and got it pretty dirty after riding through mud and dusty conditions (used blackhawk serpa.) out of curiosity I test fired it (bbl was clean). Fired first round.. :skep: round still in chamber. did not eject. manually racked slide, fired another round which cycled. As a word of advice... don't get your fiveseven dirty. Did the same with my glock another time, and it ran without problem. Not saying it's a bad gun to carry, just a warning. Make sure your gun is clean and dry.

I carry it IWB only now to keep it clean and dry, which created another problem of the mag release being pressed (crossbreed supertuck.) Hopefully some modifications or a new holster will solve the problem

How have your experiences been?
Last edited by n16ht5 on 28 Jan 2011, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: How reliable is your fiveseven?

Post by panzermk2 » 28 Jan 2011, 00:28

Filthy and packed with snow, 15- degrees F yes 15-F no issues.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 » 28 Jan 2011, 00:42

I should have taken pictures. What round were you using? s4?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 28 Jan 2011, 01:23

We have a couple of users that got their FsNs filthy & they both reported no problems. Tomac used his in a tactical course he took which required him to roll around on the ground, he had his in OWB holster. Forget the other guy's story but think it included mud.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 28 Jan 2011, 01:38

Rapier, IIRC, it was mud.

uh... is it ok if I call you nights?

When you say it "stovepiped", this means the brass is stuck in the ejection port, holding the slide open, at a perpendicular angle to the slide.

When you say the round was still in the chamber, it is confusing for two reasons; if there is a live round in the chamber, it would mean you didn't actually fire the gun, which would be confusing, because you just said you did!

Can we assume that 1. You fired the gun 2. the empty brass casing did not eject 3. the brass casing was still in the chamber 4. the slide was closed (or was it partially jammed open?)

This is why on this forum, the unwritten (or perhaps it is!) rule is, always post pictures! :)

If you could just take a piece of spent brass and recreate the unfortunate incident and post a picture, that would help greatly for myself to understand what truly occurred! I apologize for my stupidity, but I guess the term "stovepipe" and "round" mean greatly different things to me!

Much appreciated. :thumb:

ps. I have only seen the FsN fail to chamber a new round and have an empty casing still in the chamber once. This happened a couple weeks ago. I can only opine that the user limp-wristed the pistol. However, with hotter ammunition, it is hard to get it to not cycle, even when limp-wristing.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 28 Jan 2011, 02:21

I've put over 3k rounds through our pistol, most of it being SS197, but also a mix of SS192, SS195, SS196 and EA and never had a FTF.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 28 Jan 2011, 03:31

I have something like 600 through, zero problems. To be fair I keep her cleaner than the day I took her out of the box.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 28 Jan 2011, 06:19

I only had mine stovepipe once. I let a buddy shoot it and I think he was limp-wristing it.
The next round was pulled from the magazine but not seated in the chamber correctly. I cleared both and we continued shooting with no further problems.
At the time, we were shooting SS197.
However, I've never allowed my weapons to get that dirty so I can't say if yours was caused by that or not. I've heard quite a few people say over the years that they had the misfortune of getting their FsN filthy and it still shot fine.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 » 28 Jan 2011, 06:52

I didn't do a good job of explaining, I shouldnt have said stovepipe :facepalm: .. the round fired, was still fully in the chamber, slide closed. SS192. it was very caked with mud/dried mud combo. I didnt limp wrist it.

yes, I go by nights

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 28 Jan 2011, 18:31

I have 3,600 rounds through mine with no failures. I keep it clean and in good condition. If I had to stake my life on any one of my guns, the FsN would be the one.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 28 Jan 2011, 22:31

nights, the FsN is a snappy round, with a del. blowback mech.

Definitely cannot be hindered easily by outward physical pressure on the reciprocating slide, but it can be easily malf. by limp-wristing. Any chance that might have happened? I honestly doubt any mud, no matter how caked, would have cause the malf.

But if you claim you didn't limp-wrist, I completely believe ya. Not trying to imply anything :)
Shoot more, worry less.

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 29 Jan 2011, 07:25

Blue for the sake of arguing I have had issues with mine not cycling the rounds but it only does it with ss195 and it consistantly will not lock the slide back on the last shot using 195. Im not the only one with this issue with my gun though so I doubt we are all limp wristing lol, also u should go muddy up your gun and let it dry and show the fsn can run as well as a glock or steyr....do it for science lol

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Jan 2011, 15:34

Nobody said anyone was limp-wristing. It was a question, not an implication. Which I clarified.

My gun has had dirt on it. I find no need to throw it in the mud. Steyrs don't do that well in mud. Striker channels get dirtied.

If your pistol isn't locking back with ss195 you could send it back to the factory to get it fixed; mine works fine :)
Shoot more, worry less.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 29 Jan 2011, 19:37

Blue's wrist is pretty limp. :p

Easily 1k rounds thru mine: 0 failures of any kind. Didn't clean it out of the box. Cleaned it once around the 300rnd mark. I don't clean my stuff often, and carry 'em around in a backpack usually. I ride my motorcycle a lot, so they get dusty. I'll spray 'em down with whatever I've got if they ever get wet, but that's about it. Did I say 0 problems with my FsN after 1k+ rounds?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Jan 2011, 22:06

darksidemxer wrote:Blue for the sake of arguing I have had issues with mine not cycling the rounds but it only does it with ss195 and it consistantly will not lock the slide back on the last shot using 195. Im not the only one with this issue with my gun though so I doubt we are all limp wristing lol, also u should go muddy up your gun and let it dry and show the fsn can run as well as a glock or steyr....do it for science lol

I would recommend getting on our accurizing list with the additional info detailing your problems. I am sure we could fix it for you.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 30 Jan 2011, 06:43

If I ever get some money or this job in raytheons marketing department I will get on. The list for sure. Unfortunately I haven't even been able to buy ammo for 5.7 and have been carrying the emp9 aroun.

smportis

Post by smportis » 01 Feb 2011, 22:20

I attended a 2 day fighting pistol class where we got the guns really dirty in November. We were doing combat reloads on partial and empty mags. It was raining steadily, and was pretty muddy where I was stationed. I had several FTF due to poor magazine seatings where there was mud and grime on the mag. We were not doing tactical reloads, so we had to use the muddy mags (real world shooting).

Most of the FTFs were double feeds that required ripping the mag, rack, rack, racking it, with a new mag then inserted.

I'm sure I was not seating hard enough, but I had to completely disassemble the mags that night and scrub mud off with a toothbrush.

I have a 2001 2004 IOM that seems to be pretty well used prior to my getting it last year. Was using orig 10, and new 20 round mags. Did not note if both or only 1 type was the problem.

(separate issue: It also will release the slide by itself when seating a new mag, even in a controlled, on the range, situation. does this need factory work done on it?)

There was another Five Seven there, a USG, that ad a weird problem: when doing up close and personal, point blank shooting (simulating hand to hand situation) through a cardboard target at about 3" from the target, the gun would not cycle. Mine had no prob with this. We were using factory ammo. I'm pretty sure it retained the empty shell and did not attempt to cycle. His was a new gun.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 01 Feb 2011, 23:12

New guns need spring breaking in. My spring has loosened up over time. I think I had a couple of FTF early on with weaker ammo. If mags are not seated, they will most likely misfeed the rounds and you will have problems. In the real world, I would rub the grit off the top of the baseplate or any areas that would prevent this. My FsN will fire pointblank at hard targets without jamming.

Good info, Portis.

I wouldn't mind throwing my gun in a puddle of muddy water and mud it up to test it if I didn't use it in competition almost weekly and it wasn't modified. If I had a stock one I wouldn't hesitate to perform tests and post them. Perhaps someone (or yourself, since you don't seem to have a problem with throwing your gun in dirt :) ) will volunteer to do a mud test to see if their FsN will cycle and feed reliably.
Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 02 Feb 2011, 06:01

blueorison wrote: I wouldn't mind throwing my gun in a puddle of muddy water and mud it up to test it if I didn't use it in competition almost weekly and it wasn't modified. If I had a stock one I wouldn't hesitate to perform tests and post them. Perhaps someone (or yourself, since you don't seem to have a problem with throwing your gun in dirt :) ) will volunteer to do a mud test to see if their FsN will cycle and feed reliably.
Ha! There was no way I couldn't drop it with James Yeager and his crew of trainers telling that safe queens were useless and to "drop that gun!" My poor dad looked at his brand new (gift from me) Sig 229 and looked at me with true sorrow in his eyes, and let it go. It fell in slow motion "aaaaahhhhhh" to the rocky muddy ground. Mine followed. To add insult to injury, the instructor walked by and moved the gun with his foot to turn the bbl away from us (that much was appreciated).

As far as wiping the mags off, yes did the best I could, but you don't understand how wet we were! We had to dry our boots out that night, and they were waterproof (slight exaggeration).

Not sure I'd relish a true muddy dunk test, but this was pretty close.

Blue - point me to a post where you describe how you've modified you gun.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Feb 2011, 07:50

Portis; reason why I would not throw the gun in mud for testing is that I have a Burris FFII MRD on there. My unit has been modded and it is not waterproof. EA has performed their Accurizing job on the gun, but that did not impact my decision; it was based on the sight.

I am searching for an alternate slide with adjustable sights on the side/or a fixed sights slide; I will be able to perform the test on a wet, muddy slide, a dried mud-caked slide, and a mag covered in mud that seats correctly if this is obtained and if at which time I decide the aforementioned. However, I am in no way recommending anyone perform these tests. It will be at your own risk.

I perform frequent tests with the pistol as to POA/POI with different rounds, round impact and penetration tests with different media, long range fragmentation differences, etc. I also use the pistol in demanding competition that heats the bbl to scalding temperatures from emptying 30 rounds in rapid succession etc. I have no real desire to do any mud or dirt "torture" testing with my platform. I have never dropped a pistol while running and gunning and don't foresee such a user-failing event.
Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 02 Feb 2011, 20:01

Blue - very cool. Sounds like you do a lot for the FsN community, and shoot well to boot.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Feb 2011, 20:28

Thank you, Portis.

However I do my best, there are many on the forum like Satellite, Panzer, Charles @ A&A, Toys, Grant, Hobknob, 9th, and a very select few others that contribute to our community and make things happen. Many of them do it behind the scenes, and for the benefit of those here on the forum. Without them, the very critical information sourced directly from our forum by, well, those around the world that lurk here would never occur. I cannot take the minutest of credit while these amazing people surround me.

EA has generously sponsored me and put in a new firing pin in my FsN at no charge when mine broke during competition, among other actions they commit to my aid. Aaron has sent me competition equipment to use at no extra charge. More than once, generous benefactors have aided my college finances by paying for a competition or two. I am greatly indebted to these people, not because they have sponsored me to shoot a match, but because they have reached out across the web to let me know how they feel about me and respect me, however undeserving I am.

The members that understand what we have here on this forum appreciate each other as vital members of the community; because that is what community used to mean and still means to us. Not a bickering bunch of teenagers that are found on so many other forums out there (though we might have our share, too! :laugh: ), but knowledgeable, fervent, disciplined users who contribute to the greater welfare without performing the one-sided act of lurking and leeching from our forum users.

Because of the latter effect, most of my tests, videos, and personal notes are reserved for the members only section of the forum. I am currently working on another instructional video that will be posted in addition to the first FsN shooting mechanics video.

This is also why it is important to support our supporters, and form relationships with them through trust, not pennies and dimes. We do not see what goes behind the scenes. You know all those forums that support the troops? Most of the membership here are not even aware of the sponsors that send our troops aid. This is because they don't parade it around to attract business like many out there with the wrong intent.

Live by example. Think of what the FsN or the 5.7x28mm caliber would have been without the people on this forum creating successful and adept formulas that have turned it into the independent powerhouse we carry to protect our lives and those of our family.

Perhaps, a thought. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 04 Feb 2011, 01:15

500 rounds of SS195 AND SS197 through my 5.7 at the range today, no jams, stoppages, or failures to fire. All and all I have put over 3000 rounds into my 5.7 and never had a single stoppage.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Feb 2011, 01:23

firestorm248 wrote:500 rounds of SS195 AND SS197 through my 5.7 at the range today, no jams, stoppages, or failures to fire. All and all I have put over 3000 rounds into my 5.7 and never had a single stoppage.
Really? Not sure mine is as good, can you send over....say... 3k rounds to me for testing and eval?

:)

Great job running your pistol through it's paces, though! :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 04 Feb 2011, 05:44

firestorm248 wrote:500 rounds of SS195 AND SS197 through my 5.7 at the range today, no jams, stoppages, or failures to fire. All and all I have put over 3000 rounds into my 5.7 and never had a single stoppage.
Which model do you own firestorm?

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 04 Feb 2011, 09:40

USG

FIVE2NV

Post by FIVE2NV » 25 Feb 2011, 02:20

Im bumping this up because I have jamming all the time. The round fails to load all the way in the barrel at times. The slide will remain open about a half inch. Its like the round is getting hung up on a feed ramp. I clean and oil it and its good for about 50 rounds and then does it again. Any ideas? The gun is a year old and has maybe 400 rounds through it.

Reese706

Post by Reese706 » 25 Feb 2011, 09:06

only problem i had was about 6 months after i bought mines. I took her out to do a little plinking and i would get off 2 or 3 round and then a failure to cycle. Took her home an after examinination found out it was the mag catch failing to hold the mag in tight. I simply reversed the mag catch till i got a new one. It's worked fine ever since.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Feb 2011, 10:48

You could send it to us to look at.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

FIVE2NV

Post by FIVE2NV » 25 Feb 2011, 12:14

Does anyone know if there is a warranty on this gun?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Feb 2011, 13:56

FIVE2NV wrote:Does anyone know if there is a warranty on this gun?
Yes there is.If you want to have FNH look at it you must start here by calling Bob Ailes 703.288.1292
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 02 Mar 2011, 15:33

Just had my first ever failure to fire...was FN ammo...reloaded the round and fired nicely

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 02 Mar 2011, 18:22

I've only ever had one stoppage and that was with the PRo-mag 30 round magazine. I've since put a EA mag spring in it, and have yet to try it again. I think I have 700-800 rounds through mine including some 15*F weather days

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Mar 2011, 22:49

Make sure your firing pin channel is does not have a lacquer build up in it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

smportis

Post by smportis » 03 Mar 2011, 07:34

Buffman wrote:I've only ever had one stoppage and that was with the PRo-mag 30 round magazine. I've since put a EA mag spring in it, and have yet to try it again. I think I have 700-800 rounds through mine including some 15*F weather days
I went to the range on Tuesday and had a buddy shoot my FsN who had not shot it before. He's a CCW holder and went through a 2 day Fighting Pistol course with me, so he knows how to shoot, but he kept getting double feeds when he was shooting the gun. He finished out that magazine, I slapped a new one in (20 rounder) and ripped through it, no problem, no stoppage.

Well, I refilled the mag that he was using, put it in and started using it. After the first round fired, misfeed/doublefeed. Hmm, ripped the mag, cleared the double feed, slapped it back in, same thing. I then thought about what I was using - I had just converted 2 of my mags to the 30 round mags by adding the extension to it (purchased from BoTach). One mag feeds just fine, but this other one seems to have feed issues. I've not yet disassembled the mag to investigate, and did not have time to really test that it was that one 30 round mag, but I'm pretty sure that was the issue. There are no chips or worn spots on it that are visible at a glance.

I've also noticed this double feed issue when manually racking the slide multiple times to clear out a magazine. I didn't worry about it too much since manually racking the gun is not a normal thing you do to feed multiple rounds of ammo, but perhaps there is a link somewhere (I still doubt that).

This is an IOM that had some pretty good use to it before I purchased it used last year.

Just wanted to add that to the conversation - especially since the other poster mentioned the 30 round mag.

eccvets

Post by eccvets » 08 Mar 2011, 09:09

I never had a problem with mines.

shopsmart
Silver Member

Post by shopsmart » 08 Mar 2011, 09:14

Some youtuber posted something up about problems with the CMMG ten round extension (assuming that is what your using). He determined it was the cmmg spring, he used the standard 20 rnd spring then and had no probs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka55SwTz1ik" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nickf150fx4

Post by Nickf150fx4 » 08 Mar 2011, 17:33

Shopsmart: I saw that video as well before I bought my cmmg extension and haven't had any problems so far but I only have 100 rounds through the magazine with the cmmg extension and factory spring. I never even tried using the cmmg spring because I saw that video before I even bought it so I knew what Problems it could cause. My question is Since that video is a little old do you think cmmg is aware of the problem and
maybe the newer versions of the extension has better springs? Also has anyone used the factory spring in the cmmg extension for long periods of time or put a lot of rounds through them that way if so what was the result? Thanks guys
Last edited by Nickf150fx4 on 08 Mar 2011, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

Nickf150fx4

Post by Nickf150fx4 » 08 Mar 2011, 17:42

Also I do eventually plan on swapping all my magazine springs for elite ammos springs but I'm waiting for the T-6 ammo to become available again so I can do everything in one big order instead of ordering springs now and paying shipping then ordering ammo when it's available and paying shipping again. I can't wait to get a hold of some of that T-6 it is one nasty looking bullet :D I've been following the thread where "Bones" is going to do the tests with it and can't wait to see the results!!

smportis

Post by smportis » 09 Mar 2011, 08:55

shopsmart wrote:Some youtuber posted something up about problems with the CMMG ten round extension (assuming that is what your using). He determined it was the cmmg spring, he used the standard 20 rnd spring then and had no probs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka55SwTz1ik" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmm, read this, and went to my factory 20 round springs. They are the same length as the CMMG springs, but much smoother, even after I polished them (CMMG) before inserting into my extended mags. I did notice a LOT of friction when moving the spring in and out manually after removing the back plate of one of the mags. Perhaps that is the issue - binding due to friction.

The other theory is that it is pushing too hard and feeding 2 rounds at once?.... I'm not sure of the actual slow motion mechanics of feeding the round after extraction of the spent round. Perhaps someone else has better theory on what is causing the issue with the CMMG springs.
Last edited by smportis on 09 Mar 2011, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Mar 2011, 11:08

We're working on this error issue. Should be fixed soon. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 09 Mar 2011, 15:27

blueorison wrote:Deleted.
Yea - it [the error] got you too, didn't it?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Mar 2011, 16:13

It did, but I could not let it keep me down.

It held me in it's cruel grip, tantalizing me with the refresh script

I fought, and fought, writhing against the realm of impossibility

Naught had hope found its escape from my heart

When I delved into my soul, and from it, I tore out passion from its grasp

Pulled myself to my feet

and unfurled a roar for the fallen.

It was then, and only then, did I realize

our forum seems to be working again.
Shoot more, worry less.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 09 Mar 2011, 18:28

either sober up or have another :p

smportis

Post by smportis » 09 Mar 2011, 18:58

blueorison wrote:It did, but I could not let it keep me down.

It held me in it's cruel grip, tantalizing me with the refresh script

I fought, and fought, writhing against the realm of impossibility

Naught had hope found its escape from my heart

When I delved into my soul, and from it, I tore out passion from its grasp

Pulled myself to my feet

and unfurled a roar for the fallen.

It was then, and only then, did I realize

our forum seems to be working again.
Ah, the energy of the young! :thumb:

Anyway - back to topic. I should have some results of the factory springs back in the 30 round cmmg extensions by tomorrow night.

Scott

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Mar 2011, 19:18

Oh, hey btw, Scott,

I have been purposely staying of the discussion, but now that I'm in it, I do use a CMMG extension with the CMMG spring. I tried using the extension with the factory 20 round spring and it would not feed reliably. The CMMG spring seems to work these days. Have been using it.

:D

Sorry to mess up your hypotheses. Furthermore, the CMMG body is horribly done and I had to use my knife and while on the range (no tools to do a real job on it) just shove it crudely down the magazine walls to make sure the plastic was even with each other (they still aren't even) because the spring was binding on the part where it connects to the factory body.

Well, my stabbing seems to work. I used it at the last Night Match and it did fine.

Let us know how yours works with the factory 20 rounder spring!
Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 09 Mar 2011, 20:30

blueorison wrote:Oh, hey btw, Scott,

I have been purposely staying of the discussion, but now that I'm in it, I do use a CMMG extension with the CMMG spring. I tried using the extension with the factory 20 round spring and it would not feed reliably. The CMMG spring seems to work these days. Have been using it.

:D

Sorry to mess up your hypotheses. Furthermore, the CMMG body is horribly done and I had to use my knife and while on the range (no tools to do a real job on it) just shove it crudely down the magazine walls to make sure the plastic was even with each other (they still aren't even) because the spring was binding on the part where it connects to the factory body.

Well, my stabbing seems to work. I used it at the last Night Match and it did fine.

Let us know how yours works with the factory 20 rounder spring!
Blue - no worries on the hypothesis, I just want to solve the feed issue. My gun has been prone to double feed, not on firing, but on hand manipulation of the slide. I guess the slide moves too slowly on hand-cranking.

I agree - it could be some sort of binding with the CMMG extensions/spring combination. Perhaps some filing on the insides will smooth it out if I discover that the gun is still double feeding (when I go to the range tomorrow). I have 10, 20, and 30 round mags to try out.

Answer this for me - is the slide closing automatically upon slamming in a new mag a bad thing? Mine does it about 50% of the time. A bit disconcerting to me.... My 1986 vintage Walther P1 does it as well....

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Mar 2011, 21:11

You know Portis (Why do I want to call you Portishead/they are sweet),

I always hear of guns doing that, and my friend's pistol (Sig) does it, as does many of the guys on our forum (including their FsN's, I'm sure they'll chime in).

In general the consensus is that this is NOT a bad thing. It saves you a step per many people's mode of thinking.

YMMV, however, and I prefer this not to happen on my pistols :)
Shoot more, worry less.

ChaosSeen

Post by ChaosSeen » 09 Mar 2011, 22:32

smportis wrote:
Answer this for me - is the slide closing automatically upon slamming in a new mag a bad thing? Mine does it about 50% of the time. A bit disconcerting to me.... My 1986 vintage Walther P1 does it as well....
How hard do you slam in the new mag?

Davidlee
custom title: Code orange

Post by Davidlee » 10 Mar 2011, 11:21

My pistol is almost brand new, and i've only run 200 rounds thru it. But as time goes on I will post my situation. I landscape and carry while I work, lot of dust debrie, pollen and various other crap to invade the pistols internals. I will not clean it before I shoot and see what happens. If for some reason my pistol gets in the mud I will shoot it and see what happens. I will not be dropping it in the mud, a pistol that cost over $1200.00 w/tax dollars is not one I'll be abusing on purpose.

smportis

Post by smportis » 10 Mar 2011, 12:52

ChaosSeen wrote:
smportis wrote:
How hard do you slam in the new mag?
Well, I ain't Popeye, so ... fairly normal I guess. I stick it in, and then slap it home. I don't slam it on my knee or whack it on the gun range shelf or anything like that.... It seems to happen when I hit it at a slight angle. Not straight vertically up, but hit the end a bit more and push it up a little out of square.

smportis

Post by smportis » 10 Mar 2011, 12:58

smportis wrote:
Anyway - back to topic. I should have some results of the factory springs back in the 30 round cmmg extensions by tomorrow night.

Scott
Ok, so just returned from shooting. The "bad" 30 round mag caused a double feed when it was full for about the first 3-8 rounds, then it smoothed out (this is with the factory 20 round spring in it).

Then I put in the factory 20 round mag, and IT double fed (DF), 2-3 times, again when the mag was full more than when close to empty.

Then, I went a few mags (20 and 30) without a single hitch (same mags, just refilling them). I think that the other 30 round mag did not have a DF, but honestly I was not paying too close attention at that point, as I was with a friend, and we were comparing notes on the different guns we had. I was also sighing in the adjustable sights on the FN....

So, I'm thinking it is more "gun" than "mag". It also points to that when I try to rack the slide multiple times to remove rounds from a mag, and it consistently DFs on any mag.

Anyone got a clue? Again, this is a 2004 IOM model, that looks like it has had quite a few rounds down the barrel.

Scott

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Mar 2011, 14:37

Scott

I think it's more your springs not being worn in. I had a double feed when I was using a new factory mag. It left very quickly. Also, for the FsN, I find that if you are not very adamant and rack the slide ALL the way back then slam it home, feeding issues occur because if you only rack it part-way or even three-quarters of the way, the round occasionally has clearance and misfeeding issues. If those are not causes, then I do not know what to offer :)

Compress your springs multiple times, then try again, with both factory and the CMMG provided spring. Good report. Looking forward to your next one with no issues :)
Shoot more, worry less.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Mar 2011, 14:49

darksidemxer wrote:Blue for the sake of arguing I have had issues with mine not cycling the rounds but it only does it with ss195 and it consistantly will not lock the slide back on the last shot using 195. Im not the only one with this issue with my gun though so I doubt we are all limp wristing lol, also u should go muddy up your gun and let it dry and show the fsn can run as well as a glock or steyr....do it for science lol
Ok darkside, because I love you and this forum so much, I did a fine sand test.

Sand was extremely fine and red; pistol was covered in it with chamber closed.

0 malfunctions.

Presented and retained with holster.

0 malfunctions.

:D hope that helps. For the mud test, you will have to find another candidate; my optic is NOT waterproof. If I obtain a slide with irons, I will perform this test for you and the forum and video it.

Deal? :)

Update: the thread below will start all the testing and requests you have for testing the FsN. I will use my personal FsN for the tests. It has been broken in (2k+ rounds), and you can post on the thread for further tests you'd like me to do. For those of you that are hesitant to dirty your 1200$+tax FsN's, mine already has action wear on it and scratches and I never had an issue with running it hard and pushing it. So you can use mine as a test. Further, I will video all the tests for your viewing comfort.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 10 Mar 2011, 16:24

Rapier1772 wrote:We have a couple of users that got their FsNs filthy & they both reported no problems. Tomac used his in a tactical course he took which required him to roll around on the ground, he had his in OWB holster. Forget the other guy's story but think it included mud.
Ok, I already did the mud test for you. My gun shot the same as it does now (a few double feeds), so I don't think the mud and dirt made any difference. The photo at the link was taken on 11/30/10, in the rain, at the Tactical Response Fighting Pistol course in Camden, TN. Check the 4 photos at the link - you can see the dirt and mud the guns were submitted to.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/t ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Mar 2011, 17:12

:thumb:

Awesome. Portis, could you re-describe the double-feeding issue you're having in perfect detail?
Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 10 Mar 2011, 19:43

blueorison wrote::thumb:

Awesome. Portis, could you re-describe the double-feeding issue you're having in perfect detail?
Of course I can Blue, 'cause I'm all about detail. :D

At the outdoor, wet, muddy course, the DFs (double feeds) seemed to be because I literally had been dropping mags into the mud all day long (on purpose). When reinserting them during live fire (partial mags), I would sometimes get a DF (Bang, DF, <curse>, rip, strip, re-insert, close the slide, bang, bang). I assumed it to be because of the sand and mud on the sides of the mags not allowing the mags to seat properly in the weapon.

However, I did get DFs the 2nd day when it was more dry (not raining). I was still dropping mags, but they had been stripped and cleaned from the night before.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, and today - 2 weeks ago, I used the new CMMG extensions for the first time. I had several DFs with the 30 round mag that went - insert mag, close slide, bang, DF, <curse>, etc.

Today, using the CMMG extension with the factory 20 round springs: I would get the same thing, Bang, DF. This would happen usually when the mag was full. It sometimes would go bang, bang, DF. Once it got down to about 20 rounds, it went like clockwork (i.e. when the rounds cleared the bottom of the 10 round extension?).

But, I then used the factory 20 rounder, and got the same thing - Bang, DF.

After about 3-4 more mag refills, these DFs stopped. I had far fewer in the last part of the shoot today, than I had for the first 2 mags. I went through several 20 and 30 round series with no stoppages.

Facts to ponder:
1. I was not shooting the 10 rounders to see if they DF'd. I need to test that.
2. The 4 x 20 round mags are all "new". They've had less than 500 rounds through each. Purchased them right before the 11/2010 class I took, so they may still need some breaking in.
3. The 30 round extensions from CMMG are on their 2nd day of range time, so they are not broken in at all.
4. The factory springs and the CMMG springs BOTH DF'd with the CMMG extensions on.
5. At least one of the 20 round mags DF'd today.
6. Shooting Factory standard ammo (blue box 197sr)
7. Gun's an IOM from 2004. Purchased used in 2010.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Mar 2011, 20:18

Great info.

I am almost 100% certain it is not your pistol, and that it is your magazines. Case in point is as follows.

From the first day with my FsN, I tended to only load my magazines to 5 rounds. This is because I do many drills and have no need for 20 rounds/fully loaded magazines. There would be a primary magazine that I would use to load to capacity, when needed. This magazine has always been marked.

Just recently, during the Blue's Excellent Adventure FsN Match, I finally had to load my magazines to capacity the week before to test them out. I received 2 doublefeeds if memory serves me correctly, and a couple failures to feed. This NEVER happened with the marked magazine that was already broken in at that point. The other magazine failures, after they were broken in, went away and NEVER EVER came back.

I also purchased the CMMG very recently (as I never had the need to even load more than 10 in the 20 rounders, much less use a 30 rounder that I deemed excessive and silly up to the point of purchase.. and beyond..) for use in the IMGA Night Matches I shoot (With EA Ammunition, shoutout to EA :) )

For my CMMG, before first using it, I warmed in the springs by using my knife and depressing the follower to its maximum point over and over again. Then, using the CMMG spring, I had 2 doublefeeds on its first run. Afterwards this NEVER came back and I have since used the 30 round-configured magazine for 2 matches with 0 issues and 100% reliability.

The CMMG is (as I expected from CMMG or companies like ProMag) of poor quality and during installation , I had to impromptu remove the follower and smash/scratch the insides of the magazine to try to get rid of any blockage that was keeping the spring from ENTERING the magazine. I have never decidedly taken it apart and sanded down the insides, but from the crude knife-to-insides scratching, it has worked ever since.

Moral of the story: springs will be springs. They deform to MUCH shorter lengths after they are broken-in and stay that way. Your springs were probably not broken in.

Bottom line: keep testing and shooting and your double feeds SHOULD go away. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 10 Mar 2011, 21:04

blueorison wrote:Great info.

I am almost 100% certain it is not your pistol, and that it is your magazines. Case in point is as follows.

Moral of the story: springs will be springs. They deform to MUCH shorter lengths after they are broken-in and stay that way. Your springs were probably not broken in.

Bottom line: keep testing and shooting and your double feeds SHOULD go away. :)
Sounds reasonable. It'll be a while as I'm travelling next week with my family, but I'll load the mags and let them sit for a while and compress. It'll be fun that way if someone chooses this time to break into my house. 120 rounds in 6 mags. (edit - ok, not "fun", but it will make that person wish they'd picked a different house).

BTW - for all those with adjustable sights - I finally dialed mine in today (at least at 7 yards). I'd been pulling them low and right due to poor trigger discipline, I thought. Turns out the trigger was fine (and the operator), but the sights were maladjusted. I shot from stable bench rest position, dialed it in, and then let my buddy test as it moved up and over. Between the two of us testing, got it, almost, dead on. Had to leave before dialing in that final inch, but were putting rounds through the same 1/4" hole multiple times (still a bit left). Felt nice since the guy next to me in the Fighting Pistol class was putting a ragged hole through his target each time with his Glock 40, and I was spraying all over, mostly low left, with the FsN. I may still spray all over, but at least it'll be where I'm aiming.

Also, let my buddy shoot the weapon for the first time. He was able to get about 25 rounds to go without a DF. He just kept pulling the trigger, faster and faster, until he was bang, bang, banging away. When it went dry, he got a huge grin on his face and said "Man, that was fun!" He was shooting a Kel-Tec 9mm sub compact that was DAO. Trigger really sucked, and it kicked like hell for a 9mm. We both hated it (he just bought it). The trigger on the FsN was like a dream compared to that piece of crap. I know the DAO is to help not get an ND, but dang, scared the crap out of me every time it went bang, as I had no idea when it was going to go.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Mar 2011, 21:57

Yeap, leaving your mags loaded will deform and compress the springs. But after they have been deformed for a while, make sure to compress and decompress them over and over again to warm them in. 10-15 times per mag should be fine. You can use a stick or dowel or whatnot to push the follower down.

On the Keltec 9mm ccw pistol, I'm not sure if it's the same one that I have played with... but I think it is, it's Keltec's 9mm ccw pistol. The odd thing is, I compared it side by side at the very same time with 10 other ccw 9mm's (yeah, I have an affinity for testing things). This included a baby eagle, a Ruger, S&W, etc etc.

The Keltec very noticeably had the best trigger of them all. It has a very smooth trigger system that is shorter than most DAO's because of the very different trigger system it utilizes vs the traditional DAO. It was consistent and nice. Many people, in fact, prefer not to have a trigger that allows the anticipation of the break, or right before the break. Which is why many sniper systems and Hipower CMP rifles have consistent, 2nd stage pulls that break. The FNAR has this same trigger type installed.
Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 10 Mar 2011, 22:11

blueorison wrote:Yeap, leaving your mags loaded will deform and compress the springs. But after they have been deformed for a while, make sure to compress and decompress them over and over again to warm them in. 10-15 times per mag should be fine. You can use a stick or dowel or whatnot to push the follower down.

On the Keltec 9mm ccw pistol, I'm not sure if it's the same one that I have played with... but I think it is, it's Keltec's 9mm ccw pistol. The odd thing is, I compared it side by side at the very same time with 10 other ccw 9mm's (yeah, I have an affinity for testing things). This included a baby eagle, a Ruger, S&W, etc etc.

The Keltec very noticeably had the best trigger of them all. It has a very smooth trigger system that is shorter than most DAO's because of the very different trigger system it utilizes vs the traditional DAO. It was consistent and nice. Many people, in fact, prefer not to have a trigger that allows the anticipation of the break, or right before the break. Which is why many sniper systems and Hipower CMP rifles have consistent, 2nd stage pulls that break. The FNAR has this same trigger type installed.
I will give you that 1) it was smooth, and that 2) it was brand new (first 50 rounds through it today), so it was likely very tight, and 3) that you don't want to anticipate the trigger, but it was very, very heavy - heavier than my Walther P1, and very, very long. I was pressing against the trigger frame before it went off.

I guess I need more time on more small guns to appreciate it.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Mar 2011, 22:27

Scott,

My guess is that we both had the same experience with the gun; however, you didn't have to compare it to other subcompact ccw 9mm's and experience their horrible and longer-than-keltec trigger pulls, so you were comparing it to a P1 (which has a pretty good trigger!). I was arriving from the perspective on other horrid haptic experiences; thus my opinion was subjective to the afore-tested and perhaps differed from yours.

When you get the chance, try out the newer subcompact 9mm's and compare it to your experience with the Keltec and let me know what you think! I think you might like the Keltec more than the others :)
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 11 Mar 2011, 00:00

Another good little 9mm subcompact, in my opinion, is the the S&W that is basically a copy of the ASP. I shot it once and liked it, and the trigger was fairly decent. Once in awhile (if it's hot enough out, and there's no way I want gun showing [from PA so we can open or conceal]) I'll carry the ASP my grandfather passed down (he's still alive, but just didn't want it anymore). I have fired a Keltec P11 that my friend owns a few times, and the trigger just never really grew on me. It's good enough for what it was designed for don't get me wrong, but it's one hell of a pull, definitely different from the ASP and the S&W copy and both of them are double action. Anyway, if you haven't blue, there's another gun for you test out, if you haven't already.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 11 Mar 2011, 00:22

Thank you, SMP. I will do just that and seek it out to try out.

I assume you are referring to the S&W 3913. I read an excellent writeup in a very old gun rag that also spoke of the "Lady" version that the author bought "for his wife". He still carries the 3913 model as his CCW. The ASP model, in the Devel's blood, was introduced to me via this forum by Panzermk2. It is still the only disgustingly expensive pistol I would consider saving up for because of it's superb function and beautiful aesthetics.

Also, why are you guys messing with my head with both names on the forum starting out with SMP?

Shoot more, worry less.

smportis

Post by smportis » 11 Mar 2011, 04:06

blueorison wrote:Thank you, SMP. I will do just that and seek it out to try out.

I assume you are referring to the S&W 3913. I read an excellent writeup in a very old gun rag that also spoke of the "Lady" version that the author bought "for his wife". He still carries the 3913 model as his CCW. The ASP model, in the Devel's blood, was introduced to me via this forum by Panzermk2. It is still the only disgustingly expensive pistol I would consider saving up for because of it's superb function and beautiful aesthetics.

Also, why are you guys messing with my head with both names on the forum starting out with SMP?

Yes, that's funny, 'cause SMP is how I sign off on my emails, as it is my initials. There's an imposter on the board! Just kidding smpsmp.

Blue, I did try a friend's LC9 last week. Not a bad little gun. Trigger and recoil definitely better than the Kel-Tec. Still a lot of kick, but not bad for a small 9mm.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 11 Mar 2011, 14:57

Yea SMP is my initials also, first name is Scott. So my name is just my initials twice over (I know real original right). And Blue that was the S&W I was thinking of. As far as the ASP goes I carry it once in blue moon since like I said it's small, and the only sub compact gun I own that fits that role, plus I know they aren't cheap, but I couldn't bring myself to just let it sit in the safe, it just wouldn't do it justice (I'll let the trap gun sit in the safe and look pretty all the time). And I still don't know if I would consider the ASP beautiful, revolutionary for it's time, yes, but that thing IMO is fairly ugly, but don't ask to buy to it off me just because I think it's ugly. haha.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 11 Mar 2011, 21:07

smpsmp wrote:Yea SMP is my initials also, first name is Scott. So my name is just my initials twice over (I know real original right). And Blue that was the S&W I was thinking of. As far as the ASP goes I carry it once in blue moon since like I said it's small, and the only sub compact gun I own that fits that role, plus I know they aren't cheap, but I couldn't bring myself to just let it sit in the safe, it just wouldn't do it justice (I'll let the trap gun sit in the safe and look pretty all the time). And I still don't know if I would consider the ASP beautiful, revolutionary for it's time, yes, but that thing IMO is fairly ugly, but don't ask to buy to it off me just because I think it's ugly. haha.
And in my head, I just said, "I like this guy."

You get a Gold Star for carrying the ASP. :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 11 Mar 2011, 21:46

I really think you'll like the S&W copy of it. I don't really see a reason to save up the money to buy an ASP, when you could save so much by buying the S&W, unless you really want the ASP as more of a "time-piece."

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 11 Mar 2011, 21:51

Ugh, I remember looking at the ASP. Me wanty.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 11 Mar 2011, 21:57

smpsmp wrote:I really think you'll like the S&W copy of it. I don't really see a reason to save up the money to buy an ASP, when you could save so much by buying the S&W, unless you really want the ASP as more of a "time-piece."
Honestly I would probably break the ASP's mainspring covers in one day. I am too rough with my gear (not on purpose, just using them how I use firearms).

My FsN mags did not last but a few matches. They are already in the trash. It's not like I'm throwing these things against brick walls.

Today, just this morning, I broke another magazine.

When people want to know how their gear runs they make me borrow it for training. :lmao: So far the new glocks I've tested for people have not broken. My FsN is scuffed and chipped but is amazing. Custom AR's don't bother.
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 11 Mar 2011, 22:17

Never got into custom built AR's, I bought a Bushmaster (just a stock m4a3, or whatever Bushmaster calls it) a few years back now, and since (like most people with them) I have changed quite a few bit of things on it. There is only one time I can think of ever having an issue with it, my friend was firing it and the bolt didn't come the whole way back, and then re-feed the casing that was just fired. I remember having to take the upper receiver off and having to pretty much jam the tip of my knife in between because the charging handle would only come so far back. But other then that one time it's never jammed or anything like that, so I just figured it was something with the round. Either way I really don't, for lack of a better term, abuse any of my guns. I guess I just ended up with the mindset from grandfather who was big into trap shooting, although not as bad as him, I don't believe all long guns should have a wood stock.

fatherfoof

Re: How reliable

Post by fatherfoof » 14 Mar 2011, 00:52

Could not trust her to dance until she somehow changed after 100+ or so rounds. Now all is well unless Wolf primers are used. In that case, forget it. Suggest you trust EA>
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

smportis

Post by smportis » 14 Mar 2011, 13:01

smpsmp wrote:Yea SMP is my initials also, first name is Scott. So my name is just my initials twice over (I know real original right).
Dude, you are like my twin brother from another mother. MY first name is Scott also, and SMP are my initials, as well.

So, my "P" stands for Portis, hence my user name.

Weird.

smp*1 (not to be confused with smp*2, aka smpsmp)

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 26 Mar 2011, 00:16

It would be even weirder if you had a friend that borderline takes pleasure in jamming your guns at almost every chance he gets, and I swear to God it's something new every time that I've never seen before. Like I said the best time was he somehow managed to jam my AR and I had a hell of time trying to get that empty casing out, and after that my favorite was he managed to jam my SKB, how does someone jam an over/under? It wouldn't break open after he touched the thing, it's like a curse. haha. He hasn't jammed any of my pistols yet...knock on wood.

Ospy
custom title: Brian

Post by Ospy » 31 Mar 2011, 16:05

Simply: My FsN is 100% reliable! It'd have to be. 99.7 accuracy and I'd try to correct it, if I couldn't, I'd get rid of it. Too me, Reliability is not only the most important statistic, it's really the ONLY statistic! Every gun I own, I have 100% total confidence that they will be there for me in a pinch.

mcryder1950

Post by mcryder1950 » 02 Jul 2011, 10:02

HI,
New to this forum, have a fairly new 57, have put maybe 500 rounds through it, and have a couple of questions:

1)more often than not, the slide does not lock back when empty. Does not matter which of 3 magazines I use. Any thoughts / ideas / similar experiences?

2) looking at the muzzle, it appears that the bore is off center. More steel showing on one side than the other. Any thoughts / ideas / others with the same condition?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Jul 2011, 13:06

mcryder1950 wrote:HI,
New to this forum, have a fairly new 57, have put maybe 500 rounds through it, and have a couple of questions:
1)more often than not, the slide does not lock back when empty. Does not matter which of 3 magazines I use. Any thoughts / ideas / similar experiences?
2) looking at the muzzle, it appears that the bore is off center. More steel showing on one side than the other. Any thoughts / ideas / others with the same condition?
Can't help with the hold open problem, that's a new one to me.
Can you post pics of what your muzzle looks like? The link to the "how to" for that is in my sig line below

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 02 Jul 2011, 16:34

I'd suggest calling FN customer service and speaking to Bob ailes before attempting any fix it yourself solutions you may come across. I,ve had great experiences with them in the past.

That said, have you tried ammunition from different lot numbers, or is this all occurring with ammo from the same lot?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Jul 2011, 16:51

Is Bob still there? There was a rumor they were doing away with his position :ponder: Whether he's there or not, Wolly's right.
FN's number is 703.288.1292, Bob's extension was 122...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Jul 2011, 17:47

Welcome.

1. Spring too tight. Sit on your butt and work it in or shoot EA ammunition. Mag catch maybe but very doubtful unless it is a bad mag catch made at factory. Doubtful. Round pressure bad.

2. Nothing to do with the bore. Plastic slide-cover non-issue, don't worry about it.

.02 YMMV
Shoot more, worry less.

mcryder1950

Post by mcryder1950 » 02 Jul 2011, 18:02

Thanks, I will give them a call. Since it is only 6 months old, I wouldn't consider trying a home remedy. I wonder if this is a common ailment.......

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 02 Jul 2011, 18:06

blueorison wrote:

Welcome.

1. Spring too tight. Sit on your butt and work it in or shoot EA ammunition. Mag catch maybe but very doubtful unless it is a bad mag catch made at factory. Doubtful. Round pressure bad.

2. Nothing to do with the bore. Plastic slide-cover non-issue, don't worry about it.

.02 YMMV
In all honesty, in regards to point 1, if he's having this problem after shooting *500 rounds* something is wrong, either with his weapon or with the ammunition lot he is drawing from.

I never, ever had functional problems with either of our five sevens like that out of the box. We've had two five sevens and three PS90s brand new. Something like that doesn't sound like a break in issue, it sounds like a mechanical defect or maybe a problem with a batch of ammo that doesn't have enough oomph to send the slide far enough back. Either way, 500 rounds sounds like more than enough to work out such an issue as a tight spring.

mcryder1950

Post by mcryder1950 » 02 Jul 2011, 18:10

to Blueorison -
thanks for the reply.
1) Using only FN factory fresh ammo. For $1,000 new gun, IMHO, it should work flawlessly, especially with FN branded ammo. Also - the ammo is from 3 separate batches.

2) I'm referring to the barrel only, not the plastic slide cover. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Jul 2011, 18:22

Wolly, good point, did not read the 500. Would consider it abnormal, forsure. Send it back to factory and don't waste time messing with it.

Even if you're used to a 1911 safety-rest grip, the FsN catch/magazine pressure is so high that it will still lock back even if your hand is resting on it. I am thinking something is wrong with the catch if it is past 500 rounds or something is wrong with the gun. Either way, send it to FNH USA and they should take care of it for you.

:) Best wishes.
Shoot more, worry less.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 02 Jul 2011, 19:38

I have a friend that just can't shoot my fiveseven. I'll hand it to him and it will jam every other shot. I pick it up and rapid fire the rest of the magazine no problem. Seems a little strange to me that a $1k weapon should be so finicky.

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 02 Jul 2011, 19:42

Grantness wrote:I have a friend that just can't shoot my fiveseven. I'll hand it to him and it will jam every other shot. I pick it up and rapid fire the rest of the magazine no problem. Seems a little strange to me that a $1k weapon should be so finicky.
Very possible that he is limp wristing it. Not to say your friend is... Not that there is anything wrong with that! But as with any autoloader, if he isn't positively controlling it, it can have a big effect on the function.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 02 Jul 2011, 20:40

Maybe thats what he's doing... but i've seen him shoot tons of other pistols w/o problem. :?:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Jul 2011, 20:48

Grantness wrote:Maybe thats what he's doing... but i've seen him shoot tons of other pistols w/o problem. :?:

It happens, I am going through that with a customer right now.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 03 Jul 2011, 05:03

I think I know what you mean about the bore looking off-center. Mine is like that and virtually every one in my local gun shop is as well. I meant to ask you guys about that way back when I first purchased mine, but since it works fine and others seem to be similar, I kind of forgot about it until this post. Here's a pic (sorry I didn't have time to get a better one, but I have to run to work now):

0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 03 Jul 2011, 09:43

It's off center from the polymer slide cover, NOT the actual metal slide.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 Jul 2011, 09:55

panzermk2 wrote:It's off center from the polymer slide cover, NOT the actual metal slide.
blueorison wrote: 2. Nothing to do with the bore. Plastic slide-cover non-issue, don't worry about it.
Shoot more, worry less.

JeepGunner

Post by JeepGunner » 03 Jul 2011, 12:44

On the first, check the position of your right thumb while shooting. If you are pressing down on the slide stop lever, you can cause that to happen. Does it always lock back if you insert an EMPTY magazine and you pull the slide all the way to rear and let go? If so, I'd say your thumb placement is the issue.

On the second - it's more of an optical illusion. I think you are seeing the chrome visible on the front of the muzzle, and there is often a little more spillover on either the left or right. The bore is chrome-lined.

James Bell Jr. - JeepGunner.com

mcryder1950

Post by mcryder1950 » 10 Jul 2011, 18:48

Hi, I'm new to the board, but not to shooting.......about 55 years experience shooting to be exact.....The 57 is the ONLY pistol I have that fails to lock open on empty. Even my cheap S&W Sigmas run fine all day - 9mm & 40cal. My thumb isn't the problem.

I talked to FNH cust serv, and am returning the weapon to them to fix.

regarding the chrome more on one side, that I can understand. I looked at the end of the barrel under 10x loop, and it seems to be just that...

Thanks,