Slide release question

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

shopsmart
Silver Member

Slide release question

Post by shopsmart » 23 Jan 2011, 10:56

Question regarding the slide release. On my beretta 92fs, I can release the slide with ease. But with the FN 57, the slide release is super hard. Hurt my thumb. Does a mag have to be loaded for easier release like glocks are?

Also new owner here :)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Slide release question

Post by blueorison » 23 Jan 2011, 11:15

Welcome to the forum :)

Just a couple of friendly tips before you post any questions; there is a search box you can use to search for answers to your questions. Most of the questions new owners have have been repeated many times through multiple threads on the forum before. Second, there is a great resource called the forum wiki; hit the button on the bottom left side of the menu. It has a informative FAQ on the FsN page.

That said, to answer your question, the mag has to be loaded. It is quite difficult to actuate the slide release with an empty mag inserted :)
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

shopsmart
Silver Member

Post by shopsmart » 23 Jan 2011, 11:25

Irony. Been on this forum for 2 weeks. Just found the wiki. The search never thought of.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 23 Jan 2011, 15:40

Does the book refer to it as a slide stop or release?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Jan 2011, 16:38

Buffman wrote:Does the book refer to it as a slide stop or release?
Slide stop

Mine really doesn't want to release with an empty mag inserted but no problems releasing with a full mag or no mag.

One guy here (Wollychop?) has an FsN that automatically releases the slide when he slaps a new mag in. I should mention that he doesn't know why it does that, but he likes it so he he doesn't want to get it "fixed" :D
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 23 Jan 2011, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

lazi

Post by lazi » 23 Jan 2011, 17:11

FNH seems to be more into having slide stops than slide releases. the idea is that the bottom is meant to release the slide stop but if you want to release the slide with a loaded magazine you should pull back on the slide. I have seen this mentioned a few times for different FNH handguns. there where complaints about the size of the slide stops on the fnp line and it was said for those that it is intend for the operator to release the slide by pulling the slide back and not with the tab.

if you prefer to usr the tab as a slide release it does losen up some over time.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 23 Jan 2011, 17:17

I've never had trouble with the slide stop/release letting go on my FsN without a mag or with a full mag. Good luck doing it with an empty. I had a heck of a time trying to do it with an FNP-45 which is a big part of the reason I held off buying one.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 23 Jan 2011, 19:35

I can actuate both releases with my firing hand on the FsN and 45Tac; it takes considerable force on the FsN but it can be done. You need to train your finger strength up. Same reason why some people use the lula loaders to aid them in loading magazines, they do not have enough finger strength to load all day or to the end of their magazine or are afraid of tearing up their fingers. All you have to do is build your finger strength.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 23 Jan 2011, 19:50

A question for anyone who happens upon this: If/when you use your slide release rather than pulling back the slide, do you use your grip thumb (on the hand wrapped around the gun) or the hand inserting the magazine?

So for me, I insert the magazine with my left hand and after it is secure I release the slide with my right thumb; that was a big attraction of the FsN for me, I can operate all controls without changing my grip.

I have seen people load a magazine with their left hand then use their left thumb to activate the slide release.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 23 Jan 2011, 20:11

Rapier1772 wrote:
Buffman wrote:Does the book refer to it as a slide stop or release?
Slide stop

Mine really doesn't want to release with an empty mag inserted but no problems releasing with a full mag or no mag.

One guy here (Wollychop?) has an FsN that automatically releases the slide when he slaps a new mag in. I should mention that he doesn't know why it does that, but he likes it so he he doesn't want to get it "fixed" :D
Both my IOM and USG did it as well. My dad's service pistol, when he was on the streets, also did it, I believe it was a SIG P226 in .40.
You have to slam the mag home pretty hard on the FiveseveNs, but mine did it all the time w/o failure... and I never had an issue of it not catching when the mag went empty.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Jan 2011, 21:06

PainKillaX wrote:A question for anyone who happens upon this: If/when you use your slide release rather than pulling back the slide, do you use your grip thumb (on the hand wrapped around the gun) or the hand inserting the magazine?
Gripping thumb. I can also hit the mag release with the middle finger of my gripping hand.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 23 Jan 2011, 22:07

There would be no benefit to use your reloading hand to hit the mag release. Unless you are physically unable to hit it with your firing hand.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 23 Jan 2011, 22:11

blueorison wrote:There would be no benefit to use your reloading hand to hit the mag release. Unless you are physically unable to hit it with your firing hand.
I know but everyone has their habits

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Jan 2011, 22:30

blueorison wrote:There would be no benefit to use your reloading hand to hit the mag release. Unless you are physically unable to hit it with your firing hand.
Didn't mean using the reloading hand to hit the mag release. I see most people shift their grip so as to hit the mag release with their thumb. I do that on a couple of guns but I don't have to with the FsN - can use the fu finger :laugh:

smportis

Post by smportis » 04 Feb 2011, 08:08

f3rr37 wrote:
Rapier1772 wrote:
Both my IOM and USG did it as well. My dad's service pistol, when he was on the streets, also did it, I believe it was a SIG P226 in .40.
You have to slam the mag home pretty hard on the FiveseveNs, but mine did it all the time w/o failure... and I never had an issue of it not catching when the mag went empty.
My IOM releases the slide upon mag insert about 10% of the time. I don't like it as it's inconsistent and screws with the "routine" of muscle memory reload: "Oh, crap, I don't need to rack it... Ooohhhh pretty flowers ... wait, what was I doing, oh, yea, BANG, BANG....".

My Walther P1 does this also about 20% ofhe time. There's no routine with that gun anyway because of the old style release on the bottom of the mag, but I'd like the FsN not to do that.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 04 Feb 2011, 19:26

smportis wrote:My IOM releases the slide upon mag insert about 10% of the time. I don't like it as it's inconsistent and screws with the "routine" of muscle memory reload: "Oh, crap, I don't need to rack it... Ooohhhh pretty flowers ... wait, what was I doing, oh, yea, BANG, BANG....".

My Walther P1 does this also about 20% ofhe time. There's no routine with that gun anyway because of the old style release on the bottom of the mag, but I'd like the FsN not to do that.
You could call FNH to see if they could "fix" it for you. If I remember right, a member or two here in the past had had it "fixed" by FNH.

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 07 Feb 2011, 09:31

hmm i want my 5.7 to slam home when i insert a new mag! makes it quicker for me as im a southpaw lol. my steyr m40 does it every time and i LOVE it. my cz75d did it too.

TheOtherDave

Post by TheOtherDave » 07 Feb 2011, 10:25

darksidemxer wrote:hmm i want my 5.7 to slam home when i insert a new mag! makes it quicker for me as im a southpaw lol. my steyr m40 does it every time and i LOVE it. my cz75d did it too.
My P226 does that sometimes, but so far only with my (unreliable) Checkmate magazines. I've never had it happen with the factory 15-round magazines, or with my Mec-Gar 18 & 20-round magazines.

I wish it would, though. Then I could have an auto-loader that really did! :D

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Feb 2011, 21:38

I have had that happen with every auto loader I have owned. It's all a matter of how hard you slam it home.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 08 Feb 2011, 01:24

f3rr37 wrote:
smportis wrote:My IOM releases the slide upon mag insert about 10% of the time. I don't like it as it's inconsistent and screws with the "routine" of muscle memory reload: "Oh, crap, I don't need to rack it... Ooohhhh pretty flowers ... wait, what was I doing, oh, yea, BANG, BANG....".

You could call FNH to see if they could "fix" it for you. If I remember right, a member or two here in the past had had it "fixed" by FNH.
If by "fixed" you mean destroyed and replaced with a USG...

Don't send your IOM in to FNH, they'll shred t and give you a brand new USG.