Comp-Tac MTAC Holster

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Comp-Tac MTAC Holster

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Jul 2010, 13:58

I got a MTAC holster for my FsN. http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They say they need about 6 days for their production run, I ordered it on 6/26 & received it on 7/3.
The more observant amongst you may notice something odd, which is why I am not posting anything about using it for carry right now. I also took some pics of just wearing it for review picture's sake. But something about the auto-focus with using the timer didn't work - they look worse than Justin's old pics :p Here's one anyway though
With an untucked shirt, you couldn't see the gun was there.
Untucked drawing was easy enough, returning the gun to the holster was a bit of a pain. Maybe because it is still new?
This holster is supposed to be able to conceal a gun with a tucked in shirt. The shirt is to be tucked in between the gun & pants.
With a tucked shirt, you could see there was something pushing the belt/waistline out on the one side. Carry twin FsNs & maybe they wont notice :D
I tried the tucked shirt drawing as well; it was so slow to untuck & then draw that I am certain I would be dead by the time I could get it done anyway. I will not carry under a tucked shirt.
Standing & walking around the apartment was fine. Sitting was a bit uncomfortable but not too bad.

A "clue" for the non-observant crowd - when the barrel comes back from Tornado Tech I will add a review post about carrying. Also note that with the open ended holster, it should still be usable with a threaded extension.
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 04 Jul 2010, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: Comp-Tac MTAC Holster

Post by f3rr37 » 04 Jul 2010, 14:01

haha, I thought something was wrong right away.

Nice holster though, looks good.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 05 Jul 2010, 01:17

I just noticed that Image
didn't have a barrel in it right off the bat.

P.s. They're awesome. I've got one for my kimber and I'll be getting one for a USG when I finally pick one of those up.

Great choice.

5seven

Post by 5seven » 05 Jul 2010, 19:36

That's the holster I just ordered. Should be in my hands this week. The uncle mikes piece of wet suit just isn't working.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 06 Jul 2010, 05:28

I wanted to try a new holster (I've been using the Blade-tech UCH) and I compared the MTAC to Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. After reading everything I could and viewing every video I could find. Ultimately I ordered the Crossbreed because the belt clips look sturdier to me.

I hope I didn't make a bad choice - has anybody here used both the MTAC & Crossbreed, and if so, how did they compare?

Edit: I did use the search function but it didn't come up with a direct comparison on the forum...
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

5seven

Post by 5seven » 06 Jul 2010, 06:21

jgreenberg01 wrote:I wanted to try a new holster (I've been using the Blade-tech UCH) and I compared the MTAC to Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. After reading everything I could and viewing every video I could find. Ultimately I ordered the Crossbreed because the belt clips look sturdier to me.

I hope I didn't make a bad choice - has anybody here used both the MTAC & Crossbreed, and if so, how did they compare?

Edit: I did use the search function but it didn't come up with a direct comparison on the forum...
Those were the two I was looking at aswell. The crossbred clips are better looking, but the changeable bodies and overall fit and finish is what changed my mind.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 06 Jul 2010, 12:19

jgreenberg01 wrote:I wanted to try a new holster (I've been using the Blade-tech UCH) and I compared the MTAC to Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. After reading everything I could and viewing every video I could find. Ultimately I ordered the Crossbreed because the belt clips look sturdier to me.

They're just wider. But they also have gothic crosses on them... WTF is that shit. The M-Tac's clips are plenty sturdy, and have a small amount of give when you need it, and are adjustable with 5 position holes on each for a truly adjustable cant setting, and they're not an inch wide, so they're unobtrusive and unnoticeable.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 06 Jul 2010, 12:42

ynoty3k wrote:They're just wider. But they also have gothic crosses on them... WTF is that shit. The M-Tac's clips are plenty sturdy, and have a small amount of give when you need it, and are adjustable with 5 position holes on each for a truly adjustable cant setting, and they're not an inch wide, so they're unobtrusive and unnoticeable.
Another reason I wanted to try metal clips is that my Blade-tech loosens up after about a month of use which requires tightening. Having to tighten it isn't really a big deal, the problem is that once it loosens up, the damn thing kinda creaks like a door that needs oil as I move.

I actually ordered a second crossbreed holster for my new XDm 45 at the same time. I know the MTAC bodies are interchangeable, but I'm too lazy to do that if I decide to carry the XDm instead of the FsN for any reason.

I don't know what's up with that Gothic cross on the clips, but as long as it's not the Islamic crescent moon, I'm cool with it! :laugh:
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

5seven

Post by 5seven » 07 Jul 2010, 04:48

I got my comp-tac in yesterday. the only thing I noticed was on the Fiveseven was the guard on the slide removal lever would really dig into the leather to the point I had to loosen the kydex body to remove the weapon. So i sanded the sharp edge down and it seemed to help quite a bit. Now drawing the weapon is a lot easier.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 07 Jul 2010, 07:51

5seven wrote:I got my comp-tac in yesterday. the only thing I noticed was on the Fiveseven was the guard on the slide removal lever would really dig into the leather to the point I had to loosen the kydex body to remove the weapon. So i sanded the sharp edge down and it seemed to help quite a bit. Now drawing the weapon is a lot easier.
Good stuff, sir.

I have to concur, I myself have um... "modified" the slide removal guard afore of the slider.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rick McC

Post by Rick McC » 07 Jul 2010, 11:07

I'm glad you guys like 'em; but I prefer my leather pancake holster.

OWB is much more comfortable,and sitting, driving and all day wear is no problem at all.

JMHO,

Rick

5seven

Post by 5seven » 07 Jul 2010, 15:44

blueorison wrote:
5seven wrote:I got my comp-tac in yesterday. the only thing I noticed was on the Fiveseven was the guard on the slide removal lever would really dig into the leather to the point I had to loosen the kydex body to remove the weapon. So i sanded the sharp edge down and it seemed to help quite a bit. Now drawing the weapon is a lot easier.
Good stuff, sir.

I have to concur, I myself have um... "modified" the slide removal guard afore of the slider.
How much did you take yours down? I just barely rounded the sharp corners down. I thought about taking about a millimeter off the top... I am leaning towards doing more but ran out of time last night.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 08 Jul 2010, 21:58

Rick McC wrote:I'm glad you guys like 'em; but I prefer my leather pancake holster.

OWB is much more comfortable,and sitting, driving and all day wear is no problem at all.

JMHO,

Rick

Showoff. :lmao:
5seven wrote:
blueorison wrote:
Good stuff, sir.

How much did you take yours down? I just barely rounded the sharp corners down. I thought about taking about a millimeter off the top... I am leaning towards doing more but ran out of time last night.
Shaving 1mm won't hurt anything at all, period. The slide has to be out of battery to even depressed the lever and move it. Otherwise it's locked solid. I've tried multiple times to pry it down with the slide in various positions, it won't budge unless it's past the OoB point. Furthermore, even if it were depressed, you'd have to put alot of tension at that specific point AND get it to travel all the way to the point where the slide comes off, which isn't short at all. Even if 1. Somehow your slide got OoB 2. The lever were depressed partially,

the slide AND level IMMEDIATELY snaps hard home when you unholster.

For, the win.

Oh, and to answer your question, umm incidentally the guard was shaved while I was performing a batter of reliability, accuracy, and media testing with the FsN and different rounds.

Let's just say this one involved.... an AR A2 stock and buffer......a steel vise..... and very intense PEWPEWage.
:lmao:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

5seven

Post by 5seven » 09 Jul 2010, 06:20

That's true. I think I'm going to take it down a little more tonight if I can get the time

Post by 71214 » 15 Jul 2010, 00:01

I went with the Crossbreed for both my Glock 30 and my FiveseveN. They offer a discount to NRA members and they have a better warranty (lifetime). As far as wear with a tucked in shirt; it works fine if the shirt wears a little loose. I've worn mine all day long without problems. As far as having to draw quickly; you shouldn't look like you are itching for a fight. If you are in a bad situation pull your shirt out before you get there.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Jul 2010, 21:44

Got the barrel back from Tornado Technologies & yes, the threaded extension does go beyond the kydex but not past the leather. The threads themselves do not touch the kydex but the thread protector might. Thread protectors are on back order so once again, I will post when I get it
Pics in the morning

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 16 Jul 2010, 22:45

ynoty3k wrote:

They're just wider. But they also have gothic crosses on them... WTF is that shit.

Lets try this really slow. C R O S S breed. :) And also because of this
the larger meaning behind his company’s name references the Lord Jesus Christ and His sacrifice upon the cross which was made for all mankind.
I prefer actually not having interchangeable bodies. the leather eventually also conforms a little to the pistol itself and helps hold it in place.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 17 Jul 2010, 06:08

Pics with the threaded barrel

Outlaw54

Post by Outlaw54 » 19 Jul 2010, 20:53

This looks like a real nice holster. I looked but I didn't see a thread jump out at me that had any type of shoulder rig for the Five-Seven. Any thoughts or links to a quality leather shoulder holster?

Thanks

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 Jul 2010, 21:07

Search function:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 25 May 2011, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.