Took my new FiveSeven to the range for the first time today - ammunition questions

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

mikepwagner

Took my new FiveSeven to the range for the first time today - ammunition questions

Post by mikepwagner » 25 Aug 2020, 20:35

I took my brand new FiveSeven to the range today, and I had a blast. It was just a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

My other current handgun is an Armalite AR-24 15C, which is a forged steel CZ 75 clone made in Turkey and rebranded as Armalite and I imported in the early naughts. It is a fun gun, but it’s very heavy after an hour of shooting, and occasionally, the trigger stings my finger - not clear why.

The FiveSeven by contrast was much lighter - my first polymer - and the trigger was very nice - the AR 24 is traditional DA/SA trigger.

Today, I shot 110 rounds of FNH SS198LF - which my range has for a pretty reasonable price of $37/box or so. I bought the FNH in part due to comment here on issues with the Federal range ammo.

When I got home, I reread the letter that came with the FiveSeven and realized that it specifically suggested avoiding the SS198LF - and suggested the SS197SR or the Federal ammo.

My range only has the SS198LF and the Federal range ammo.

When the SS197SR is available again, I will probably try to buy it in build, but for right now, only options are the SS198LF or the Federal.

Which is the better choice?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Took my new FiveSeven to the range for the first time today - ammunition questions

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Aug 2020, 13:15

Keep shooting what you have been shooting. That letter is a suggestion and won't stand up from a letter from an attorney.

SS198 is FN's manufactures ammo ro the pistol when used by LEO.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

mikepwagner

Re: Took my new FiveSeven to the range for the first time today - ammunition questions

Post by mikepwagner » 26 Aug 2020, 17:25

panzermk2 wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 13:15
Keep shooting what you have been shooting. That letter is a suggestion and won't stand up from a letter from an attorney.

SS198 is FN's manufactures ammo ro the pistol when used by LEO.
That makes sense - it worked flawlessly with both magazines in my pistol.