Which Action?

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

ewetstone

Which Action?

Post by ewetstone » 12 Dec 2014, 16:46

Hello everyone...new member from CT. and have been interested in the five-seven for quite awhile.

I am confused on how to tell the difference between the older double action models and the single action models.

I am looking to purchase one and would like the older style without the front slide serrations but have heard these are all double action.

Is this correct?

DoubleJ

Re: Which Action?

Post by DoubleJ » 12 Dec 2014, 19:02

Post a picture of the one you're looking at. I may be wrong, but I think there was only the USG with the round bulbous trigger guard, the regular one that we all have, and the MKII that came out recently. I believe they're all striker fired, same as any other poly pistol, but I can't be sure with that older USG style.

ewetstone

Post by ewetstone » 12 Dec 2014, 19:06

DoubleJ wrote:Post a picture of the one you're looking at. I may be wrong, but I think there was only the USG with the round bulbous trigger guard, the regular one that we all have, and the MKII that came out recently. I believe they're all striker fired, same as any other poly pistol, but I can't be sure with that older USG style.
I have done some more research since posting this. As far as I can tell the IOM, USG and MKII are all single action striker fired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone else confirm this?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 12 Dec 2014, 19:11

The standard USG design released to civvies was single action however, there are always exceptions to the rules.
Please see our variants thread: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Personally, there are too many variants & subtle differences between them to keep track.

I can tell you this, both of my USGs were single action (sold one) & every FsN I have tried was single action. FNH's website says the MkII is also single action only.

None of them are striker fired, the hammer is internal & it impacts a firing pin.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

ewetstone

Post by ewetstone » 12 Dec 2014, 19:47

Rapier1772 wrote:The standard USG design released to civvies was single action however, there are always exceptions to the rules.
Please see our variants thread: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Personally, there are too many variants & subtle differences between them to keep track.

I can tell you this, both of my USGs were single action (sold one) & every FsN I have tried was single action. FNH's website says the MkII is also single action only.

None of them are striker fired, the hammer is internal & it impacts a firing pin.
Ok...I guess I do not understand the difference between a internal hammer and a striker fired system. I am more of a 1911 guy and just recently started looking at other styles of handguns.

For example I just purchased a older (1992) Glock 17 gen2. My 1911's are Kimbers.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 12 Dec 2014, 20:19

Rapier1772 wrote: None of them are striker fired, the hammer is internal & it impacts a firing pin.
This is correct, I mixed up some gun designs in my head.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 12 Dec 2014, 22:39

Strikers are basically large, spring-loaded firing pins but with no hammer. The larger mass of the striker is to compensate for the loss of the hammer. These guns fire by use of linkages & springs whereas hammer fired guns have a spring loaded hammer which either directly impacts the primer or hits a thin rod to transfer the hammer impact to the primer.
Glocks use strikers as do many of the compact pistols.
1911s are hammer fired
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

kalani

Post by kalani » 07 Mar 2015, 17:03

the IOM five seven first runs are DAO . also the five seven is hammer fired not striker the hammer it just hidden/ unexposed.