Mounting an MRD on the FsN: Burris FF III Review

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Mounting an MRD on the FsN: Burris FF III Review

Post by blueorison » 10 Feb 2013, 15:16

An update on my camera that I posted was broken, about half a year ago and a few quicks off the top of my mind. I'd really appreciate it if my friends watched this video, to hear what I have to say at the end. You can just forward to the end, if you want :)
Language NSFW/Kids

If you're wondering how it can take pictures after what you saw in the video, above.. I also wonder.

Burris Fast Fire III / 3 Review

FF (Burris Fast Fire, model II or III)
MRD (Mini-red Dot; not to be confused with red dot sights such as EOtechs)
Rob (A great guy who runs a family business; he answers the phone)

Rob at Truehuntersupply.com and Fivesevenreddot.com contacted me, or I contacted him; I forgot. I had seen the Burris Fast Fire III released and with it, solutions to specific problems I had encountered with the FF II (previous) model.

ISSUES WITH MRDs: My FsN likes to break everything

If you watch the last section of the video above, you'll see that my light went out. My FsN broke it after about 500 rounds. Departing from life, with my light, was the dot on the FF II mounted on my FsN. This is because the FF II used a detector to gauge the ambient lighting, and in turn, adjust the level of the 4 MOA dot. Without light from the moon or my WML (weapon mounted light), my dot went out.

I finished the stage by using my right foot as an index off of where I planted and took my first shot (we call this indexing), and the visual memory of where the last targets are, while using the muzzle flash to light up my front sight it and use the rear window of the FF II MRD to align my front sight to the target (we call this "hey, it works!"). The targets were not that far away.

UPDATES & FIXES ON THE FF III MODEL

The FF III introduced a solution to the ambient detection problem in the form of manual dialing of the dot intensity level. Instead of a "switch", there is a rubber-covered button on the left side that you depress to change the setting from "Auto-detect" to "High, medium, low, and off".

The low mode is very invisible in any kind of lighting, even 5 lumens, so don't forget to click it again to turn it off.

You can read about the boring details of the FF III upgrades, such as the battery compartment repositioned, click-adjustments, etc. I'm not going to rehash details that can be read, elsewhere. I'm here to help cover issues/topics that table-top reviews haven't. So if ya'll have any questions, feel free to ask.

I've had the FF III for testing, for about half a year, now. I wanted to wait till I had tested how durable it was. I say that, because, along with the night-mode deficiencies of the FF II, it also was not FiveseveN proof. I managed to break the FF II MRD about 2000 rounds in. This included extremely hot top-secret rounds I had been testing. I wasn't that surprised, yet very disappointed. I seem to break a lot of things that aren't built right, and coupled with this talent, my particular FsN has broken everything, from lasers to WMLs.

Fortunately, until I could get the FF III for testing, my Class 2 SOT had a few friends that helped me out. He took my FF II into an indiscriminate building with few markings, and came out a few hours later. It was now modified using very high-tech instruments, and would power on at full intensity when I switched it on. This meant that in daylight, I could see the dot very clearly. He told me the people in the grey building built things for the government that fly really high.

After the modification, the dot held up to any testing I did. This led me to the conclusion that the MRD WAS capable of handling the recoil/reverb/feedback of the forces the FsN contributed to it from firing any kind of 5.7x28mm cartridge.

The FF III would be put to the same test.

HOW THE FF III IS DOING IN TESTING

Thus far, the FF III is holding up. The witness line on the rear of the sight allows a rough alignment of the line and the front sight, in the case of the dot going out. As far as battery life; I changed my FF II battery about 3 times in 2000 rounds. I have yet to change the FF III battery, but I'm sure it drains less battery than my extremely powerful FF II output.

The glass is clear as needed for me to engage targets at 100 yards, which I frequently do with the FsN. Sorry for the repost. I'm engaging targets about 60 yds away, with the FF III.

If you prefer the 8 MOA dot for your shooting style because you feel that you can "pick up the dot quicker/get the shot off faster", the option is available. My method of shooting differs from that line of thought, but it's nice to have options available!

I have used the following MRDs on handguns, none of which I own: Doctor, JPoint, Trijicon, Burris, Tasco (vintage!)

BOTTOM LINE; TL;DR

I like the Burris FF III. It doesn't have a strong tint like certain MRDs over twice the price of it has. It doesn't wash out in bright light.

It's a high value, and built well. Get the Burris-specific mount from Robert, at Fivesevenreddot.com, or get the picatinny base that will mount any kind of picatinny adapter from an MRD/laser/etc. from Eliteammunition.com.

I told you my FsN breaks everything. I forgot to add that after installing the base from Rob, that my FiveseveN completely sheared off the screw holding the sight on the gun. Rob sent me upgraded screws (hahahaha), and I sent my FsN to Jay at Elite, who worked his magic (don't ask me how; till this day I don't understand how you can remove a flush screw with no head) and remounted and reinforced Rob's sight base. Given that I ran really hot rounds through my FsN, other mounts might not require the EA magic. But I'm glad mine got it, as it has held up very well.

Blue, do you recommend MRD's on FsNs? Heck yeah. More than any other gun. Because the FsNs shoot rifle rounds hundreds of yards, and at that depth, having one plane of sight makes life much easier than using irons.

Trust me. I almost go blind using irons on CMP service rifles at 600 yd reduced targets. Given that the sight radius on the rifles are probably about 5-7 times that of the FsN.

Now, enjoy pictures .' D

I hope this review was humorous enough to hold your attention long enough to reach the pictures, and informative enough to answer your doubts and question on the Burris FF III and my inability to keep anything unbroken.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Re: Mounting an MRD on the FsN: Burris FF III Review

Post by jgreenberg01 » 10 Feb 2013, 16:17

blueorison wrote:An update on my camera that I posted was broken, about half a year ago and a few quicks off the top of my mind. I'd really appreciate it if my friends watched this video, to hear what I have to say at the end. You can just forward to the end, if you want :)
Language NSFW/Kids
It doesn't work because... these are parts.
Classic Blue: positive risk taker!
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Feb 2013, 16:37

I skipped to the end blue, this was all I saw:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

2ndAmVA-2

Post by 2ndAmVA-2 » 10 Feb 2013, 20:10

Blueorison,
I just watched your video. You're a magician with the FN 5.7!
Thank you for posting that.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Feb 2013, 21:19

2ndAmVA-2 wrote:Blueorison,
I just watched your video. You're a magician with the FN 5.7!
Thank you for posting that.
Thank you for your kind words! I do not deserve them.
Shoot more, worry less.

CDeel
custom title: Wannabe Mall Ninja

Post by CDeel » 11 Feb 2013, 03:56

Inb4 your gun slings the FF III through a paper target :-P

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 11 Feb 2013, 04:06

CDeel wrote:Inb4 your gun slings the FF III through a paper target :-P
:lmao: :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 11 Feb 2013, 17:25

Careful, with his track record that just may happen.

Hell, just having my Steyr, SCAR and FsN in such close proximity caused ALL OF THEM to behave erratically. The FsN had something jammed in the trigger which made it go mushy sometimes (turned out to be a bit of fluff, probably from the new case), the SCAR had a double-feed (which is only malfunction #5 for the rifle in the 3k+ rounds I've put through it since I bought it brand new in 2009) and the Steyr developed a habit of double firing (which got sent off to the mothership to be fixed post-haste).

The man's a focal point of some kinda crazy juju :lmao:
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

shoetr--X

Post by shoetr--X » 11 Feb 2013, 19:00

Blue, that was really good! Really nice FiveSeveN and Burris...

Observational Point: :ponder:

I know you guys, (Philly Talk), were having fun in this video, but always use a barricade position. Always! Always! (Unless you’re assaulting a position; then you better have overwhelming FP). Practice over and again and only barricaded. Remember, whatever you practice will become automatic, (auto-processing), and when that moment comes, where do you want to find yourself? Remember, if he/she can see you, they can kill you.

Case in point: NYPD had practiced stepping from behind the barricade, to reload for safety purposes, during firearms training sessions. That is until one day, I believe, in Manhattan, some of their own got into a fire fight. What do you think the one of the officers did when he had to reload? Guess where he is today? Took a round right in the pumpkin after he stepped out to reload. ..Auto-Processing! Needless to say the course of fire was subsequently changed.

Just to reinforce that position: All U.S. Airborne recruits spend much of their training time repeating emergency procedures for deployment and canopy malfunctions. Also the continuous practice of landing techniques, (PLF’s), are repeated until it becomes second nature to the trainee. All effort is geared toward one goal, Auto-processing. “Life-saving, it could be yours.”
Maintain the high ground and invoke the initiative, no matter the scenario. A step ahead trumps one from behind.

Oh! The best of good fortune on your life choice... Wherever the path leads, you will excel and succeed!

Sinder

Post by Sinder » 11 Feb 2013, 20:39

blue, thanks for the review! I had recently purchased an FF3 and stuck it on my ps90 sighted at 50 yards. my long term plan was to mount it on my FiveseveN but haven't purchased an alternate mildot or eotech optic for the ps90. with the mount from fivesevenreddot.com do those better screws now come standard or is it something i would need to get from him separately?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 11 Feb 2013, 20:52

Thank you for the advice, and for taking time to speak with me on the phone, today. You only have your training to back you up, in times of need. If you do not train powerfully, wisely, and efficiently, you will fall short and 6 feet under when you have to defend yourself, or others.

When I shoot IDPA carbine matches with my FsN, we utilize cover. And a bunch of annoying mall ninjas.
Sinder wrote:blue, thanks for the review! I had recently purchased an FF3 and stuck it on my ps90 sighted at 50 yards. my long term plan was to mount it on my FiveseveN but haven't purchased an alternate mildot or eotech optic for the ps90. with the mount from fivesevenreddot.com do those better screws now come standard or is it something i would need to get from him separately?
It should come standard, now. Robert is a wise person and he probably replaced it after the feedback. Give him a call, his banner is up there. He will be more than happy to work with you. You don't have to "Press 1" or any number, for that matter, to speak with an American in America. That's another reason I'll always point people to Robert or Elite Ammunition or Charles.

I like the MRD on the PS90 platform.
Shoot more, worry less.