FN 5.7 as home defense

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

PapaSmersh

FN 5.7 as home defense

Post by PapaSmersh » 20 Jan 2013, 00:20

First post on the forum.

Like most FNH fans, I am a believer. Great weapon system, regardless of what platform. Not saying they are perfect, but when considering the FNH weapons I own, and those I have had the opportunity to fire, I struggle to find any discouraging words.

Which brings me to the topic of this post.

Recently my mother and sister expressed that they were finally ready to learn how to use a gun. It is the new rage around here. Women are taking self defense seriously. I find the entire phenomenom encouraging.

My mom and sister were interested in a solid home defense weapon that they could "handle" (their word, not mine). I suggested rifles, shotguns and revolvers, but they did not get interested until I mentioned my five seven. I own a black USG model with adj. sights, five 20 round mags and 1K rounds of SS197. I have "safed" it away since ammo has become so scarce. That being said, with proper training, I believe my family could benefit from having such a tool at their disposal.

Taking into account that my mom and sister know absolutely nothing about guns, I was impressed by the instinct they showed by choosing the five seven. They both found it ergonomic to hold, and marveled at the weight. They asked if it "kicked". I said it didn't, at least compared to my 40 cal, which is basically a worthless answer. I told them it was loud and breathed fire. They liked having 20 rounds. We'll see what they say after shooting it.

So I guess the question I have is: Am I wrong to think the five seven is a viable home defense weapon?

I trust this weapon to give my mom and sister a fighting chance against a home invader. Am I misguided?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: FN 5.7 as home defense

Post by blueorison » 20 Jan 2013, 01:09

Welcome to the forum. :thumb:

You are spot on. The FsN with EA ProtecTOR loads is a great HD platform. I would say ss197 does great, when it is consistent. I've had ss197 shortstroke my FsN before. After that, EA installed their HD spring.

The FsN is great for low recoil and fun for people who dislike heavy recoil to shoot. It recovers on target quickly and has very little muzzle flip.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 20 Jan 2013, 10:48

There are plenty of self & home defense threads on the forum, please feel free to delve into them.

Short version - I use it for both SD & HD. The round you choose may vary depending on your needs but I do not have a problem with the 197s.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Str8flush

Post by Str8flush » 20 Jan 2013, 17:45

I'm new here as well and just got my FN 57. I have the same question regarding home defense. Would EA's Devastator be a good home defense round.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 20 Jan 2013, 18:32

Not really. IIRC, that round is designed for penetration & as such, endangers others with a through shot - my specific concern would be through exterior walls.
I don't know much about that round aside from that but I was using a similar bullet in some reloads & they didn't deform. Therefore, probably no energy transfer to the BG, just perforates him/her.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Jan 2013, 13:14

Str8flush wrote:I'm new here as well and just got my FN 57. I have the same question regarding home defense. Would EA's Devastator be a good home defense round.
We don't talk about that round on the open forums because whenever we do, EA gets inundated with calls and messages about it from non-LE. It is their LE round that they sell to LE only.

To answer your question; Rapier already did :) It's for penetration on hard targets.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 21 Jan 2013, 13:21

Str8flush wrote:I'm new here as well and just got my FN 57. I have the same question regarding home defense. Would EA's Devastator be a good home defense round.
Yeah if you want to shoot through the home, all of the occupants, and the car in the garage to get the BG on the other side it's perfect.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Str8flush

Post by Str8flush » 21 Jan 2013, 14:14

UT/EA

Oops, I got the message. As I said I'm new here but a fast learner. Thanks for the heads up :-)

Ken

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 23 Jan 2013, 22:39

panzermk2 wrote:
Yeah if you want to shoot through the home, all of the occupants, and the car in the garage to get the BG on the other side it's perfect.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I spit water all over my screen.

:lmao:
Shoot more, worry less.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 24 Jan 2013, 06:48

Yeah. It will poke holes. It utilizes the Barnes Banded Solid 45gr solid bullet that Barnes no longer produces. I wouldn't use it for self defense unless my target was a robot. :)

2ndAMVa

Post by 2ndAMVa » 27 Jan 2013, 04:22

Papasmersh,

My wife enjoys shooting the FN 5.7. She has a 5-shot revolver for her concealed carry, but she likes the high-capacity of the FN 5.7 for home defense.

She shoots it very well, and can make fast follow up shots, because of the low recoil. We have EA Protector rounds, so these should be effective for HD.

Your mother and your sister will enjoy shooting the FN 5.7.

- 2ndAmVA

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 27 Jan 2013, 09:06

Personally, I like to have something fatter that moves a lot slower and has a less risk of over penetration. I'm actually considering getting a silencer for my HD pistol... (which at the present time would have me switching to my Tactical .45 since it already has a threaded barrel) Loud bangs in the house can be very disorienting...

As for you and your family... Whatever weapon they are most comfortable with and accurate with will work the best as a HD weapon. For women however, I'd prefer to give them a Judge, or a mossberg 500 .410 pistol grip shotty... Something with a spread, but not a lot of kick.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Jan 2013, 09:33

Silencer for HD?
I too had this idea for a while but I had to reconsider after testing all kinds of loads with my FsN. With the suppressor on, there was backscatter through the gun. Powder and/or other particulates were ejected out of the back & into my face. Without eye protection, that can be very bad.

You also might want to check into the legality of using a NFA item for HD. I have no idea what prosecutors may do about that or if it would have any relevance at all.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 27 Jan 2013, 12:04

Rapier1772 wrote:Silencer for HD?
I too had this idea for a while but I had to reconsider after testing all kinds of loads with my FsN. With the suppressor on, there was backscatter through the gun. Powder and/or other particulates were ejected out of the back & into my face. Without eye protection, that can be very bad.

You also might want to check into the legality of using a NFA item for HD. I have no idea what prosecutors may do about that or if it would have any relevance at all.
Suppressor does not affect legality.

Depending on burn rate/a lot of factors/powder/suppressor design etc. you will get burnt and unburnt powder backwash.

This happens in any platform. It won't always happen, but it usually does, when you are shooting a load not tuned for suppressors on that platform, in my experience. Even then...

.45 goes through a lot. As does a .22

Unless you are shooting underpowered and low PF ammunition, it doesn't matter what you think "goes through and doesn't go through" walls, chairs, etc. Low PF ammunition will tend to bounce more, and not expand or frag. That is the only kind of round that will truly not "go through" much.

I don't want to start an argument; just give you information. I have tested doors and chairs. As in, I've shot them with various calibers. I don't base my thought processes on "probably". :thumb: :cya:
Shoot more, worry less.

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 29 Jan 2013, 07:39

good info Blue... were these tests with a suppressed pistol as well?

I always thoroughly test any HD weapon before I rely on them. I'm wanting to switch to suppressed purely for noise issues. If/when that happens, I'll definitely report back with my results... I may end up not liking it purely because of balance issues.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Jan 2013, 13:50

Hebs;

I have not done any material penetration testing with suppressors.

Quality suppressors have only slight impacts on the velocity of the ammunition; in essence, they have no impact on the penetration and change nothing.

Shooting subsonic/supersonic rounds out of unsuppressed/suppressed firearm will yield the same results.
Shoot more, worry less.

dhpierre
Silver Member

Post by dhpierre » 29 Jan 2013, 15:14

blueorison wrote: Quality suppressors have only slight impacts on the velocity of the ammunition; in essence, they have no impact on the penetration and change nothing.
:twss: :p

CurlyQHoward

Post by CurlyQHoward » 04 Feb 2013, 19:02

I thing that the 5.7 is an excellent choice, but I'd take this into consideration too: How much of your ammunition are you willing to allow them to use in becoming proficient with the 5.7? I've only been able to acquire 5 boxes of ammo in the last six weeks, and I've inquired many, many times. So, it's just a thought.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Feb 2013, 20:57

dhpierre wrote:
blueorison wrote: Quality suppressors have only slight impacts on the velocity of the ammunition; in essence, they have no impact on the penetration and change nothing.
:twss: :p
Nice catch... :lmao:
CurlyQHoward wrote:I thing that the 5.7 is an excellent choice, but I'd take this into consideration too: How much of your ammunition are you willing to allow them to use in becoming proficient with the 5.7? I've only been able to acquire 5 boxes of ammo in the last six weeks, and I've inquired many, many times. So, it's just a thought.
The correct answer, sir, is as many as needed. Save a mag or two full for defensive purposes or hunting, if you deem the round appropriate, and use the rest for practice.

Even silver spoons and forks are made to be used, and do nothing for function when sitting, static.

:thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

sabenschmitt

Post by sabenschmitt » 06 Feb 2013, 08:29

i use the 5.7 as my duty weapon and my concealed

i think of it as this

one well placed hit with a 22 is better than several well placed misses with a 45.

all my fnh are amazing... but the 5.7 is the fastest and most accurate at every distance
45 at home but i trust my life to my 5.7