So discourged

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

ROCKETW19

So discourged

Post by ROCKETW19 » 21 Dec 2012, 00:13

First it was trying to find a 5.7 gun its self. insane prices and wacked out people bidding and or selling them
I found a place for a reasonable price to me at least $1200 brand new

now I am looking at ammo prices good god they were already high but now they are just way insane and the greed is way to much for me.
I have been wanting this gun for awhile now just always something better came up. now that I am ready I am not sure I want it anymore. what if the stupid ass presdent banns them what will happen to ammo then? can it go any higher LOL I seen on GB $850+ for 500 rounds of stock blue tip.

should I buy the gun set it in my safe for a year then come back and check ammo prices again?

regaurdless I am going to gun shop tomorrow or saturday and if i see a 50 beowolf upper no FN 5.7 for me,lol if no upper I might just look at another Wilson Combat or something. very disapointing for sure

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: So discourged

Post by blueorison » 21 Dec 2012, 00:46

ROCKETW19 wrote:First it was trying to find a 5.7 gun its self. insane prices and wacked out people bidding and or selling them

now I am looking at ammo prices good god they were already high but now they are just way insane and the greed is way to much for me.
I have been wanting this gun for awhile now just always something better came up. now that I am ready I am not sure I want it anymore. what if the stupid ass presdent banns them what will happen to ammo then? can it go any higher LOL I seen on GB $850+ for 500 rounds of stock blue tip.

should I buy the gun set it in my safe for a year then come back and check ammo prices again?

regaurdless I am going to gun shop tomorrow or saturday and if i see a 50 beowolf upper no FN 5.7 for me,lol if no upper I might just look at another Wilson Combat or something. very disapointing for sure
Same story, different person. Sorry to hear that.

Yeah, buy something you actually can shoot. It's up to you. You know yourself best; no point asking people if you should stick a gun in your safe and not shoot it. That's not what this gun was made for.

Some guns are made as decoration pieces. This one wasn't. :)
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 21 Dec 2012, 01:24

blueorison wrote:
ROCKETW19 wrote:First it was trying to find a 5.7 gun its self. insane prices and wacked out people bidding and or selling them

Same story, different person. Sorry to hear that.

Yeah, buy something you actually can shoot. It's up to you. You know yourself best; no point asking people if you should stick a gun in your safe and not shoot it. That's not what this gun was made for.

Some guns are made as decoration pieces. This one wasn't. :)
Ya I hear ya the gun is not a 7K dollar 1911. its plastic and belive me I want to shoot it and I want my wife to shoot it even more. but paying $2 a trigger pull would kill me and I am known to waste money belive that.
I shoot 200 rounds min every weekend but prob 250 on avg. I could not do that with these ammo prices. .50 cents per round ok but 2 bucks per round now damn way

I guess I wanted someone to say dont be stupid buy it prices are gonna go back down in feb after such and such makes the new super duper ammo that shoots itself right to the X everytime,lol

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Dec 2012, 01:39

It's ok. I understand.

People come on forums/in real life asking questions, but really, they're like the girlfriend who knows the answer but asks, "does this make me look fat....", when they already know the answer, but they want to hear you reassure them, so they can sleep better at night.

This isn't an insult from me to you; it's the truth. I mean that in no negative context. :)

I've learned from many wise and older people on this forum (the only one I actually frequent daily), that you should forge your own way, and not let others (influencing the leaps in gun prices) get to you.

Don't buy the ammunition right now. Buy 9mm, go shoot that. Or reload, if you do.

250 is a huge amount of ammunition, minimum, to go through every weekend. I probably shoot 5 times as frequently as you, but with 1/4 of your ammunition consumption. But we're different people with different philosophies. Who both like the FsN.

I don't like to impose my beliefs on firearms and how they should be used on other people. I used to get mad at mall ninjas, and still do. I vent about how unsafe and dumb they are, because I get muzzles pointed at me every match from them. So I think guns should be used safely, in that aspect. But when you ask me, or someone on this forum, "What should I do about this FsN issue", when we don't know you personally, or what your applications or philosophies on guns are, then all you're welcoming is PERSONAL opinions that are widely separated and disjointed.

I feel like that's probably not what you want, in the end-result. You want coherent discussion that will guide your decision-making process. To achieve that, you have to state your

1. Application for the FsN: plinking/blasting and not aiming at anything, target shooting for accuracy, hunting, competition, SD/HD/Carry, etc.

2. Budget

3. You understand my meaning?

TL;DR - Personally, I'd get the FsN, and wait till ammunition prices come down. This decision is primed by your statement of .50 Beowulf being your alternative, and the fact that you probably don't reload for the round.

:)
Shoot more, worry less.

rosie

Post by rosie » 21 Dec 2012, 03:26

Ammo prices are high and the complaints are out there from people who are shooting 200 or 300 rounds every week. Duh? I go every other week with 3 friends to favorite gunshop with two mags each loaded with 15 rounds of "blue". We take turns shooting and we usually discharge 5 rounds a turn. If all my shots are within what I consider to be a potentially lethal and accurate grouping for center mass, with me shooting not as a target shooter but as a defensive shooter, I am happy, happy and that is the end of my 57 exercise. The rest of the session is with a 22 pistol, where costs are still below a nickel a pop. Prices are what they are--quit complaining and adjust. Why you need to shoot even 100 rounds of 57, if you are convinced of your abilities, and then complain about prices does not make a lot of sense.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Dec 2012, 03:47

rosie wrote:Ammo prices are high and the complaints are out there from people who are shooting 200 or 300 rounds every week. Duh? I go every other week with 3 friends to favorite gunshop with two mags each loaded with 15 rounds of "blue". We take turns shooting and we usually discharge 5 rounds a turn. If all my shots are within what I consider to be a potentially lethal and accurate grouping for center mass, with me shooting not as a target shooter but as a defensive shooter, I am happy, happy and that is the end of my 57 exercise. The rest of the session is with a 22 pistol, where costs are still below a nickel a pop. Prices are what they are--quit complaining and adjust. Why you need to shoot even 100 rounds of 57, if you are convinced of your abilities, and then complain about prices does not make a lot of sense.
Because... it's fun.

:laugh:

But yeah, you have a point. Complaining when you shoot that much...

I like to see things from all perspectives and sides. And this is one that, really, you guys both have good points, haha!
Shoot more, worry less.

critterdoc

Post by critterdoc » 21 Dec 2012, 11:29

Blue and Rosie make excellent and objective comments concerning the FsN in the current political climate. The advice that I give to folks with no FsN experience when they express interest is to be sure you can afford to feed it before you buy it. The question of 5.7 x 28mm ammunition availability in the foreseeable is however a horse of another color. I keep several ready mags loaded with AE's high performance ammunition that I have also trained with, but if backed in a corner I would be more than satisfied to defend with the relatively lower cost factory blue tip ammunition.

The FsN is in my view no longer practical for most folks as a recreational plinker or for high volume generic training. For personal defense it can excel and be quite affordable if you are able ramp up and master the platform without burning up your bankroll on ammunition. FWIW, I sent my FsN off to Jay at Elite Ammunition for ACCURIZING shortly after it arrived and suspect that the performance enhancement that the service provided made the platform much easier to commit to "memory". On the typical range run it typically takes one full magazine or less to convince me that I'm still hooked up with the FsN and I switch over to the SIG 226 9mm/.22LR convertible for the reminder of the session.

I'll certainly defer to the judgement and advice of other more experienced shooters here but the main advantage of the convertible is that it allows for economical training on the same platform with which I would defend in the event that 5.7 x 28 ammo goes away in the future. That said, my two all time favorite defensive firearms are the FsN and a relatively new 12" AR57 pistol. Both are extremely accurate and eye-blink quick when needed, and the AR57 pistol is more than a little visually arresting with a 50 round load out in it's transparent PS90 horizontal topside magazine.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 21 Dec 2012, 11:40

LOL I didnt mean to come of as suck a complainer. Not sure where I went wrong.

but shooting 5 round a trip everother week lol ya thats fun you might as well put the gun away.

yes I shoot that much as I just switched from target shooter to more of a speed shooter. Its hard and takes lots of rounds and goes fast.
17 rounds in just a few seconds never timmed but Id guess around 3 seconds and yes all in a nice plate sized groupe at 10 yrs.
I tried 15yrds and it was a mess so everytime I mess up I get fired up and try again harder.
this is with 45cal
I am building a 9mm next and I am sure the times will get alot faster

I want this 5.7 for my wife as a night stand gun and for me as a fun range toy. the round is very intresting to me and I would like to see what I can do with it skill wise.
there is no way I will get any good with it shooting 5 rounds every other week,lol
you guys that are already good at the gun and round sure that is fine but I never even held one. YET

Santagata

Post by Santagata » 21 Dec 2012, 13:04

BLUE you think the ammo price will drop? I know you been a champion shooter longer than me! ;) or have you seen this thing with prices? Up and down before

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Re: So discourAged

Post by blueorison » 21 Dec 2012, 13:37

Santagata wrote:BLUE you think the ammo price will drop? I know you been a champion shooter longer than me! ;) or have you seen this thing with prices? Up and down before
I think it will, if they don't put the FsN on the ban list.

I'm not a champion shooter. I'm a recently graduated university student goofball that shoots when really awesome nice people sends him ammo to shoot, because that's the only way he is able to shoot guns. I can't be one, as I don't take most matches I shoot seriously, because I don't have the gear to take it seriously.

I congratulate you on being a champion shooter.

I have seen this before, as we all have. During the last election.

I don't know what they are trying to ban right now, besides the AR, high capacity etc. They could add or subtract things from their agenda. I was already burned out by the Zombie Fad, the Tactical everything fad, and now this; all propagated by the same demographic of people within the firearms world.

I think stocking up is wise, if you can afford it. I can't, so I'm staying out of it.

I'm going to keep living my life, ignoring the negativity, and enjoying shooting while I still can. If that is taken away from me, and I can't shoot guns for a long time, I'm somewhat ok with that. I've been blessed to be able to have so much enjoyment in the past, shooting guns and hanging out with great people. I'm actually very sad that I won't be able to hang out with good people at matches, anymore, if the bans go down, rather than I'm sad about not being able to shoot, anymore.

People matter to me more than guns ever will. This doesn't mean I won't vote or do what I can to stop them from taking this part of my life away. I love shooting guns, it's cathartic and a great creative/athletic outlet, for me. It just means that I'm not going to dwell on it, and that there are better and bigger things in life. Like hanging out and teaching kids about aquifers and edible & medicinal plants in nature, which is another part of my life. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

spideyman64

Post by spideyman64 » 21 Dec 2012, 14:37

i bought my dark earth 5seven for 1050. Now i only have 50 rounds and cant find it around here anywhere. sounds like if you see it buy it is the the new rule out there.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 21 Dec 2012, 16:44

critterdoc wrote:Blue and Rosie make excellent and objective comments concerning the FsN in the current political climate. The advice that I give to folks with no FsN experience when they express interest is to be sure you can afford to feed it before you buy it. The question of 5.7 x 28mm ammunition availability in the foreseeable is however a horse of another color. I keep several ready mags loaded with AE's high performance ammunition that I have also trained with, but if backed in a corner I would be more than satisfied to defend with the relatively lower cost factory blue tip ammunition.

The FsN is in my view no longer practical for most folks as a recreational plinker or for high volume generic training. For personal defense it can excel and be quite affordable if you are able ramp up and master the platform without burning up your bankroll on ammunition. FWIW, I sent my FsN off to Jay at Elite Ammunition for ACCURIZING shortly after it arrived and suspect that the performance enhancement that the service provided made the platform much easier to commit to "memory". On the typical range run it typically takes one full magazine or less to convince me that I'm still hooked up with the FsN and I switch over to the SIG 226 9mm/.22LR convertible for the reminder of the session.

I'll certainly defer to the judgement and advice of other more experienced shooters here but the main advantage of the convertible is that it allows for economical training on the same platform with which I would defend in the event that 5.7 x 28 ammo goes away in the future. That said, my two all time favorite defensive firearms are the FsN and a relatively new 12" AR57 pistol. Both are extremely accurate and eye-blink quick when needed, and the AR57 pistol is more than a little visually arresting with a 50 round load out in it's transparent PS90 horizontal topside magazine.
can you post a picture of the AR 5.7 that sounds awsome.

well today is a very stressfull day. been thinking about the 5.7 all day should I get it should I just wait ect ect all day long. I have been stuck home with new born baby all day so I could not even go if I wanted to.
tomorrow I am free all day and after waiting today with no gun I am 99% sure I go buy it tomorrow. now if they dont have it anymore then it was not ment to be.

I also found 500 rounds for 470 shipped ( I know way over priced but I will buy it anyways and save 250 and shoot 250 untill I find out what is going on with the ammo prices.

that being said does anyone use this for 3 gun or any other fast paced comps? I never shot one and I assume its a target gun with the round it has but I want it more fast paced

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Dec 2012, 17:32

Stop stressing yourself out. You are the only one responsible for doing so, and it isn't healthy :)

I used to shoot the FsN in competition.

I have short, short hair, now. The FsN can be seen (or not) at the end of the video, during the nightmatch, in which I break my pistol-mounted light (or if you're tacticool enough, you call it a TACTICAL LIGHT) and finish the stage in pitch black, using my muzzle flash to light the way.

I do not recommend this as a tactic, or as... anything. I walked the stage before, so I knew where I was, in the dark. And I told the RO to stay wayyyyy the heck behind me, because I've been known to run them over, not on purpose. Still, I probably shouldn't have done it.

You can probably use this as an allusion to how I feel when people who apparently know a lot about everything tell you not to get ported barrels or compensators, because it will "blind you at night". As a side, I don't own any handgun that's ported or compensated.

Oops, my post is too long, already, haha.

Ok. A video I made a long time ago. We're using the FsN. We were just having a chill range session with SpaceCoyote and his friend.

And here is us, at the Invite match I held last year, for some of my friends on the forum. Many/most competitions will not allow you to use the FsN because they fear ricochets, etc. on the steel, or the caliber is too small (.22) to pass the minimum allowed (.38). I hosted the competition because I love my friends that I have met here on the forum, and so that we all can use our FsNs, and they can use their PS90s.

This is on Greenberg's channel on youtube. I keep my FsN channel private. The best part is at 9:10. I seriously have watched and rewinded that part over and over again till I couldn't keep count. It makes me LOL so hard, everything. It's priceless.

oh man. I miss those good times. We just wrapped up the Winter 2012 Blue's Invite shoot; it was a Precision 3Gun match that I was able to work and help run, so all my friends from this forum that came to shoot it shot it for free.

And they got to see Jerry Miculek, haha.
Shoot more, worry less.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 21 Dec 2012, 18:50

I love watching those. Brings back great memories. Thanks Blue.

critterdoc

Post by critterdoc » 21 Dec 2012, 19:14

ROCKETW19 wrote:well today is a very stressfull day. been thinking about the 5.7 all day should I get it should I just wait ect ect all day long. I have been stuck home with new born baby all day so I could not even go if I wanted to.
tomorrow I am free all day and after waiting today with no gun I am 99% sure I go buy it tomorrow. now if they dont have it anymore then it was not ment to be.
I also found 500 rounds for 470 shipped ( I know way over priced but I will buy it anyways and save 250 and shoot 250 untill I find out what is going on with the ammo prices.
that being said does anyone use this for 3 gun or any other fast paced comps? I never shot one and I assume its a target gun with the round it has but I want it more fast paced
Rocket,

I wish not to intrude but it seems to this observer that your engine is overstoked on too many issues and it's hard to imagine that continuing to struggle with the question of acquiring an FsN, 5.7 x 28mm ammunition, and changing market factors with all of those other loose ends hanging out there is not in your best interest. If you came here seeking advice then I'd suggest backing off on the FsN question for now and see where the political/societal cards fall before committing any resources to this particular firearm or any of it's available diets.
Last edited by critterdoc on 21 Dec 2012, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 21 Dec 2012, 20:41

critterdoc wrote:
ROCKETW19 wrote:well today is a very stressfull day. been thinking about the 5.7 all day should I get it should I just wait ect ect all day long. I have been stuck home with new born baby all day so I could not even go if I wanted to.
Rocket,

I wish not to intrude but it seems to this observer that your engine is overstoked on too many issues and it's hard to imagine that continuing to struggle with the question of acquiring an FsN, 5.7 x 28mm ammunition, and changing market factors with all of those other loose ends hanging out there as they are is in your best interest. If you came here seeking advice then I'd suggest backing off on the FsN question for now and see where the political/societal cards fall before committing any resources to this particular firearm or any of it's available diets.
humm I think I am not expressing myself good in type or something and the fact you guys dont know me. I wasnt really streeesing its more of just a word to type than a actuall feeling

I am rushing into this gun for the exact reason you say not to. the silly president might not like them and try and take them.
I have wanted one for a year or so but as said something else always came up. this time I have to do it or I might not get a chance again.

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 22 Dec 2012, 14:23

ROCKETW19 sez: "I am rushing into this gun for the exact reason ...
the silly president might not like them and try and take them."
GONRA sez: Great analysis. You won't regret it.
Good luck on getting ammo. Be prepared to get into reloading!
Warm up the Cheque Book - strive to get fired brass if you can.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 22 Dec 2012, 14:34

GONRA wrote:ROCKETW19 sez: "I am rushing into this gun for the exact reason ...
yes I found 400 bucks for 500 round and gun itself went up since last night to 1400,lol thing we do to have fun

yes reloading is in my future I will be researching this very subject soon. it looks easy so that means I will have a hard time with it,lol
any boards like this that educate slow guys like myself on reloading?

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 22 Dec 2012, 15:28

Yes!
This board, in fact does!
There's a button toward the top that has 'search' on it.
It is your friend...
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 22 Dec 2012, 19:37

Cyberfly wrote:Yes!
This board, in fact does!
There's a button toward the top that has 'search' on it.
It is your friend...
if you read my post you will see I said I will research it soon :p

im newbi to this gun and round but not research

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 22 Dec 2012, 23:27

I hate to ruffle feathers, but the way I see it, shooting a few rounds every once in a while to make sure you're on target is like driving your car around the block once a week to make sure you're ready for a Formula 1 race.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 23 Dec 2012, 10:25

PainKillaX wrote:I hate to ruffle feathers, but the way I see it, shooting a few rounds every once in a while to make sure you're on target is like driving your car around the block once a week to make sure you're ready for a Formula 1 race.
hm... for me, I just dissect one part of the race, and run it like I am in the race.

:)

Doesn't matter, I'm too poor to actually be in this frenzy. I have no money to buy guns, so I can't worry about panick buying. Then again, I wouldn't panick buy, anyway, you guys know me. I'd buy a second FsN, if anything.

If guns get banned, I'll just spend more time on my outdoor skills and save up to visit my buddies on this forum on the American roadtrip I've always wanted to go on :guns:
Shoot more, worry less.

nickyill

Post by nickyill » 24 Dec 2012, 03:39

I just bought mine recently, tucked it away and holding out for some ammo to show up....figured its the handgun I wanted for some time and if I bought something else I'd be pining for it. I have a long history with Land Rovers, so I'm a glutton for expensive punishment!

rosie

Post by rosie » 24 Dec 2012, 06:16

ROCKETW19 wrote:
GONRA wrote:ROCKETW19 sez: "I am rushing into this gun for the exact reason ...
yes I found 400 bucks for 500 round and gun itself went up since last night to 1400,lol thing we do to have fun

yes reloading is in my future I will be researching this very subject soon. it looks easy so that means I will have a hard time with it,lol
any boards like this that educate slow guys like myself on reloading?
Kindly remember Rocket that reloading will void your warranty on the 57. Not so sure you want more stress over and above costs of ammo etal, but if reload wrong, you may find out.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 24 Dec 2012, 08:50

This too shall pass. The ammo plants are churning at the same rate. People are hoarding and likely shooting fewer rounds, as they are thinking about the price every time they pull the trigger. At some point the distributors will find ammo in their warehouses and people not buying. Supply up, demand down, prices down. It is a formula as old as time. It is why we call it a cycle. Just hang on for a little while. Even Blue will be shooting again soon.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 25 Dec 2012, 02:45

Yes Rosie, from what very lil I did research you might be right I read more than one time about reloading wrong for this round. I quickly went over and read other cals to reload and no such talk.
Now remember I only looked at this info for a few minutes and it seems this load is not to newbi friendly. I could be totaly wrong as said i just glanced at the subject. but you are the 3rd prson to mention it.

NLVMike.
yes I agree the ammo wont get banned but the gun and or mags might. I have both now only missing ammo and as said I bought 500 and tried to bump to 1000 rounds for less cash hopefully he takes it. we are still emailing back and forth and Xmas is here so i wont here from him untill wednesday my guess

Smithy

Post by Smithy » 25 Dec 2012, 05:18

I don't post much on this list since the Elite Ammunition crowd jumped all over me for questioning their warranty policy when a 57 pops the slide cover. Anyway, here's what I do to score 5.7 ammunition. Craigslist... Run an ad offering to buy "standard" ammunition and state your price. Run it for a few days straight in sporting goods and the barter section. Over the past year I have gotten 4+ cases total, at an average cost of $21.00 per box. First check craigslist for applicable local policies. Merry Christmas one and all and best wishes for the coming year (Even Elite Ammunition :) ).

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 25 Dec 2012, 08:17

I'm thinking about selling out my entire 5.7mm kit, the opportunity for once in a lifetime type profit margins right now is so high.

I have a five seven with night sights and threaded barrel, with 18 magazines, 13 of which are 30rd'ers, about 100rds of Elite S4M, 500rds of SS198 LE only, 500rds of SS192, and a couple hundred rounds of SS195 and SS197.

I could probably crack $10k for all that right now...

noclue

Post by noclue » 25 Dec 2012, 16:55

I'm Dave, I am new to the form, and have just purchase a FN Five-seven N. Ammo is another story, none to be found around here. Reading this post seems doom and gloom. I plan on keeping this FN and will look for ammo. There were two at the local gun shop, they didn't last long. So, I'm in for the long haul. if anyone has a suggestion as were to buy ammo on line, please let me know. Thank, Dave

fd57

Post by fd57 » 25 Dec 2012, 17:48

Welcome, Dave.

Ammo is difficult to source if you're not a reloader yourself. Either pay high now wherever and whenever, or scour dealers and sites and lists and forums daily even hourly to find it at more reasonable prices. Unfortunately a lot of the retailers have back orders they've accepted so when they receive a delivery it goes toward those backorders before making it available to all.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 25 Dec 2012, 20:53

Dave, welcome to the forum and the 5.7 platform. You won't be dissappointed. It is such a great gun to shoot. I have been shooting it for over 8 years, and have been through a couple of these ammo shortages. They do pass.

I am watching the crazy prices on gunbroker for ss197. It is so tempting to jump in. I'm going to hold out through this weekend, when we have a Crossroads gun show here in Las Vegas. I will try and pick up what is available. If the prices stay this crazy into the new year, I will have to put 500 rounds of ss197 out there on GB or this forum and see if they are still biting at $1.00 a round. I would hope no one on this forum feels the need to pay that much, but if you do, PM me.

noclue

Post by noclue » 25 Dec 2012, 22:24

Thank you for the reply's. Being new to this, what do the various numbers mean. Such as,
Elete S4M, SS198 LE, SS 195 and so on. What would best for carry and what to use at the range?
Nothing here, so I have no clue. I understand 9mm, 357, 44 magnum and so on, but not this caliber. Thanks, Dave

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 25 Dec 2012, 23:10

Elite Ammunition (link at top of page) has a description of what their rounds are & what they are suited for on their webpage. However, S4M is a rare commodity since the bullets are so hard for them to get.
The other numbers such as 192, 195, 197, 198 are all FNH factory designations. For a description of what each is, just check wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7%C3%9728mm#Varieties" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey, I just saw Elite is also listed on the Wikipedia page, sweet! :laugh:

Best for carry - there are a lot of threads discussing that. True, every answer will be a round Elite Ammunition makes but which round? To answer that, what are you looking for? We invite you to use the search function to find those threads (tips linked in my sig line) and check out Elite's page http://www.eliteammunition.net/57x28mm_ammunition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; each round has a small description of what it is & what it suited for.
Best for range - whatever you can find/afford. When you decide on a carry ammo, sight your gun for that round. Use everything else to work on your groupings.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

rosie

Post by rosie » 26 Dec 2012, 11:43

PainKillaX wrote:I hate to ruffle feathers, but the way I see it, shooting a few rounds every once in a while to make sure you're on target is like driving your car around the block once a week to make sure you're ready for a Formula 1 race.
To each his own. I assume that if you had not shot this week and were in a confrontation by the weekend, you would be at a terrible disadvantage. Ridiculous. What exactly is "every once in a while" anyway?

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 05 Jan 2013, 17:22

I'm in the opposite position from what the OP and a few others that have posted. I was able to buy ammo for $23.99 a box at Cabela's ( sold out now ), but now I can't find a 5.7 to put them in. I even checked site sponsors and added myself to notify me lists. No access to cash, but have a credit card and Gunbroker prices are insane. Used ones are listed at higher prices than new ones. I was able to find a used one and was willing to drive 2+ hours to buy it, until the gun store employees didn't know a price and pulled a price of $1,850 out of their butts after debating it over the phone for 5 minutes.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 06 Jan 2013, 18:55

Stitches1974 wrote:I'm in the opposite position from what the OP and a few others that have posted. I was able to buy ammo for $23.99 a box at Cabela's ( sold out now ), but now I can't find a 5.7 to put them in. I even checked site sponsors and added myself to notify me lists. No access to cash, but have a credit card and Gunbroker prices are insane. Used ones are listed at higher prices than new ones. I was able to find a used one and was willing to drive 2+ hours to buy it, until the gun store employees didn't know a price and pulled a price of $1,850 out of their butts after debating it over the phone for 5 minutes.
you should sell me some of your ammo them,lol
just buy it at 1850 and be done with it. I was lucky enough to not get 100% raped on gun but even at 1850 you only pay 1 time,lol ammo is where it hurts that is something you have to replace every weekend. I will be well over 1850 in ammo in a few months if i shoot this anything like my Glockworks 45cal (250rnds easy per weekend)
even 45cal ammo is insane to find right now. I do not get the ammo horders at all shoot it or let it be why are people so fast to try and make a dollar off it? if your job is selling and buying ammo firearms ect I get it but to just run up in a store and buy all the ammo so you can relist it for more is silly.

My local gun board has 100s of guys doing this with Pmags for Ar15s right now. there is probably 300 for sale posts right now on Pmags starting at 45 bucks each and up, lol

anyways I have Pistol in safe Mags in safe (only 3 I have 3 more in mail) ammo will be here in 2 days and i will shoot it same day I will try to not go crazy but at least 150 rounds will be shot hopefully I can control myself,lol

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 06 Jan 2013, 19:25

One part of me, while the other is still in disbelief over the sad situation, while yet another is apathetic and will just hang up its hat and not shoot anymore, and take up some other sport..

one part of me smiles and endeavors to appreciate the memory of shooting 1000 rounds in the first 7 days of owning my FsN. It was supposed to last me a year. Instead, I took a holiday weekend and turned it into a training camp for myself. Left handed, right handed, upside down.... haha... I did a lot of training to get used to the platform.

I don't endorse shooting that amount of rounds in a short period unless you also want to familiarize yourself with the platform and train, hard. Not that it matters, but so many will bring 2000 rounds of .223 to a "carbine class" in which myself or others can show them drills to teach them the same or better techniques in 500 rounds... yet outside of thinking in that "box of paying $700 for a class and $1000 for ammunition".... they won't even spend $500 rounds to train themselves.

I guess, I endorse doing the same. Hey, if I were new to the platform and training, I'd do it all over again.

Having the resources/ammunition to train with such an endearingly powerful, awesome, niche, fun... platform and not doing so, letting the rounds sit in your closet

is the same as

having a mountain bike, and never using it, because tires cost a high amount of money.

Imagine the sights, sounds, and training you're missing. Or not.

blue out.
Shoot more, worry less.

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 07 Jan 2013, 12:00

ROCKETW19 wrote:
Stitches1974 wrote:I'm in the opposite position from what the OP and a few others that have posted. I was able to buy ammo for $23.99 a box at Cabela's ( sold out now ), but now I can't find a 5.7 to put them in. I even checked site sponsors and added myself to notify me lists. No access to cash, but have a credit card and Gunbroker prices are insane. Used ones are listed at higher prices than new ones. I was able to find a used one and was willing to drive 2+ hours to buy it, until the gun store employees didn't know a price and pulled a price of $1,850 out of their butts after debating it over the phone for 5 minutes.
just buy it at 1850 and be done with it. I was lucky enough to not get 100% raped on gun but even at 1850 you only pay 1 time,lol ammo is where it hurts that is something you have to replace every weekend. I will be well over 1850 in ammo in a few months if i shoot this anything like my Glockworks 45cal (250rnds easy per weekend)
even 45cal ammo is insane to find right now. I do not get the ammo horders at all shoot it or let it be why are people so fast to try and make a dollar off it? if your job is selling and buying ammo firearms ect I get it but to just run up in a store and buy all the ammo so you can relist it for more is silly.

My local gun board has 100s of guys doing this with Pmags for Ar15s right now. there is probably 300 for sale posts right now on Pmags starting at 45 bucks each and up, lol

anyways I have Pistol in safe Mags in safe (only 3 I have 3 more in mail) ammo will be here in 2 days and i will shoot it same day I will try to not go crazy but at least 150 rounds will be shot hopefully I can control myself,lol
Definitely not going to pay $1,850 for a used 5.7, let alone a new one. I will bide my time and just store the ammo or flip it at a later date if I don't find a gun. You never know what gun prices will be when the new 5.7 is supposed to be showcased at SHOT 2013 and released in Feb, but we shall see.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 07 Jan 2013, 12:19

I will be at the SHOT show. FNH will be one of the first booths I visit.

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 07 Jan 2013, 13:31

NLVMike wrote:I will be at the SHOT show. FNH will be one of the first booths I visit.
Please keep us updated if you are able to ask them about ammo and new/old Five seveN production.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Jan 2013, 13:46

Stitches1974 wrote:
NLVMike wrote:I will be at the SHOT show. FNH will be one of the first booths I visit.
Please keep us updated if you are able to ask them about ammo and new/old Five seveN production.
:thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 07 Jan 2013, 22:57

Stitches1974 wrote:
ROCKETW19 wrote:

Definitely not going to pay $1,850 for a used 5.7, let alone a new one. I will bide my time and just store the ammo or flip it at a later date if I don't find a gun. You never know what gun prices will be when the new 5.7 is supposed to be showcased at SHOT 2013 and released in Feb, but we shall see.
I agree with this anyother day but I just dont feel to good about our silly president right now. IMO this is a gun he will go after with its 30 round mags its almost begging to be blasted buy his camp.Now I could be wrong but to me spending a few hundred more now was worth it just in case.

I have a buddy slapping himself right now over a AR he didnt get right after the shooting. NIce LWRC fair price and he wanted to wait i told him he is silly. when he was ready prices were double and none to be found he wishes he had bought it.
To me it would be worse if i never had a chance again to get one. (money comes and goes if you want it get it is how finialy decided)

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 10 Jan 2013, 11:10

ROCKETW19 wrote:
Stitches1974 wrote:
ROCKETW19 wrote:

I agree with this anyother day but I just dont feel to good about our silly president right now. IMO this is a gun he will go after with its 30 round mags its almost begging to be blasted buy his camp.Now I could be wrong but to me spending a few hundred more now was worth it just in case.

I have a buddy slapping himself right now over a AR he didnt get right after the shooting. NIce LWRC fair price and he wanted to wait i told him he is silly. when he was ready prices were double and none to be found he wishes he had bought it.
To me it would be worse if i never had a chance again to get one. (money comes and goes if you want it get it is how finialy decided)
Got really lucky and found a NIB 5.7 for $1,200, but I do agree with your line of thinking with getting it before you can't get them anymore. There were a few things I wish I bought in the past, but never did.

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 11 Jan 2013, 08:18

I'm selling my threaded barrel night sight FsN on gunbroker right now....1 day left at $1527 current bid, only one bid all week! It cost me that much to have the gun built.

So yeah, if you look, the guns are out there at good prices...

[Removed: In the rules: no links to auction sites]