FN FiveseveN Mags

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

forbema

FN FiveseveN Mags

Post by forbema » 29 Mar 2012, 11:19

What do you guys think of the 30rd extensions? I've read some of the reviews and it seems that Promag is the way to go, but do you even think they're that great of a purchase? The only reason I'd even want one is to avoid having to reload another mag, but it's not like you can CC with a 30rd mag and if you're just at the range it just makes you want to burn through that much more ammo.

What's your thoughts? Pros vs. Cons?

Currently I'm stuck with 2 10rd mags so to even get this mag I'd have to invest in a 20rd and then purchase the extension. I'm wondering if I'm better off just getting a 20rd and calling it a day. With that in mind, do you see a market for 20rd used mags on this forum often? If not, where do you suggest I look? Or should I just stick with getting them new?

Thanks!

Last edited by forbema on 29 Mar 2012, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Re: FN FiveseveN Mags

Post by MikeSantor » 29 Mar 2012, 11:54

Personally I would take that money that you would have to buy the 20 round mag than the extension and just buy some ammo. Not to mention, for it really to be worth it at the range for "not having to load as much" you would have to get a few of them. So in your case, like 3 20 round mags and 3 extensions. If you just got one you would not be at the range like "Man, not having to reload as much sure is nice!" I think it would take a few to get that feeling.

As far as CC goes... If you cant put a shot COM with 20 rounds, you aint doing it with 30. If this is the case, more the reason to spend the money on practice ammo instead of the extensions.

This of course is just my opinion which people rarely agree with. Good luck!

forbema

Post by forbema » 29 Mar 2012, 12:03

:laugh: Hah... I doubt they rarely agree. That's good advice.
I don't think I'll be using this pistol to CC with anyway. It's a mint IOM with only 50rds down the barrel. I'd hate to scuff it up and put unnecessary wear on it by using it as my CC.

For as much money as 5.7x28 is, I think you're spot on. I'll keep the money and put it towards ammo. Having 10rd mags at the range will only make me pick my shots that much more, right? :)

Prepper
custom title: Sucker Punch

Post by Prepper » 29 Mar 2012, 12:24

I have several of the 30 rd mags and they work fine. My FsN is carried in my BOB with several 30 rd mags. Very light and alot of firepower per ounce.
Better to have a tank when you don't need it then to need a tank when you don't have it.

II Thessalonians 3:8-12

blaster1

Post by blaster1 » 29 Mar 2012, 16:15

I purchased one 10 mag extension just to try it out. I don't think I will be buying anymore as it just gives the follower a ledge to hang up on.

s-industries
Gold Member
custom title: M.E.

Post by s-industries » 29 Mar 2012, 16:24

I'm with Mike all the way on this. Also, a lot of the time when I'm at the range I actually don't load the mags full anyway. After all, you don't need to burn 20 just to practice speed reloads and what-not. Have fun!

forbema

Post by forbema » 29 Mar 2012, 17:00

Yeah, I think I'm going to take your advice and hold off for now. However, for a BOB I think 20 and 30rd mags are a must. For just shooting at the range, I'll stick with my 10rd mags for now. Unless I find someone unloading some mags for cheap, lol. Thanks all!

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 29 Mar 2012, 17:16

s-industries wrote:I'm with Mike all the way on this. Also, a lot of the time when I'm at the range I actually don't load the mags full anyway. After all, you don't need to burn 20 just to practice speed reloads and what-not. Have fun!
I also never load my mags to capacity while shooting. Since I am a relatively new shooter (started shooting regularly one year this April) I like all the practice I can get. Whenever I shoot I always fill the mags up to random capacity so I never know when the last shot will be and after the last shot I always speed reload and fire off one more shot. Then hand the fiveseven over to my range buddy.

gryphon

Post by gryphon » 29 Mar 2012, 21:27

I see zero reason for 30 rd. mags. You are (probably) not going to carry them because they stick out so far. And if they are only for the range, you don't really need them over twenties. Just load more often or take an extra mag or two if you absolutely cannot spend a minute reloading.

Plus they're ugly looking.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Mar 2012, 23:20

gryphon wrote:I see zero reason for 30 rd. mags. You are (probably) not going to carry them because they stick out so far. And if they are only for the range, you don't really need them over twenties. Just load more often or take an extra mag or two if you absolutely cannot spend a minute reloading.

Interesting, I have 8 30rd. Mags loaded at all times around here.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

forbema

Post by forbema » 30 Mar 2012, 04:00

gryphon wrote: Plus they're ugly looking.
I think they look pretty sweet actually, but that's just me. And I do see a benefit to being able to have more rounds per mag. Same reason I have 44rd mags for my AR-15. That's 14 extra zombies I can kill without having to reload. :laugh: We'll see what turns up at my gun show in a week or so. Unless I can find a good deal there on mags, I'll probably be holding off and just using the money for ammo.

Deployment Solutions

Post by Deployment Solutions » 24 Jul 2012, 08:25

panzermk2 wrote:
gryphon wrote:I see zero reason for 30 rd. mags. You are (probably) not going to carry them because they stick out so far. And if they are only for the range, you don't really need them over twenties. Just load more often or take an extra mag or two if you absolutely cannot spend a minute reloading.

Interesting, I have 8 30rd. Mags loaded at all times around here.

I have about ten 30 rd mags (20 rd w/extensions) and they have functioned flawlessly!! I have a bunch of 20 rd mags also. It is just like the 33 rd 9mm mags. I may never need one, but who know...with the Zombies and all!! LOL!!!