Holster discussions

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

darksidemxer

Re: Holsters

Post by darksidemxer » 14 Jan 2011, 07:18

Here is an interesting one, my crossbreed supertuck for my steyr m40 also easily and comfortably fits my xdm45 and my 5.7. I have been carrying the xdm in it for a few days no issues and I will be doing it with the 5.7 today but a quick test around the house revealed that it works fine, even with me jumping aroud like a moron.

tparty

Post by tparty » 14 Jan 2011, 09:04

darksidemxer said:
Here is an interesting one, my crossbreed supertuck for my steyr m40 also easily and comfortably fits my xdm45 and my 5.7. I have been carrying the xdm in it for a few days no issues and I will be doing it with the 5.7 today but a quick test around the house revealed that it works fine, even with me jumping aroud like a moron.
That's interesting...I wonder if they intended it that way? I've been told by several fairly authoritative people to only use carry holsters for manufacturer-recommended weapons in case you have to defend your equipment in court or in case the holster malfunctions at the worst possible moment. I wonder if you emailed them and asked them if the holster works for the FsN what they would say? I have the FsN Supertuck Deluxe from them and it's wonderful, although I have to be careful when drawing--it can catch the front sight. Crossbreed is an extremely customer-based company with some fairly innovative products; I hope they always stay like that.

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 14 Jan 2011, 09:30

post a pic of it if you wouldnt mind i would like to compare a little. im sure a DA would pull at every string possible BUT then again like my CRM *ex chief of policee* prof just said, if you use a 5.7 they are going to wanna know why you need a rifle round, 20 of them, and if you use EA ammo why you need such high velocity ammo thats custom made. *as opposed to standard off the shelf blue tip ammo* he said the holster is the least of your worries as he has seen cases where the guy uses his pants draw string to secure it and they left it alone. *back on topic* the front sight is huge but it didnt snag on the draw out of the steyr holster. the 5.7 isnt a PEEEERFECT fit but the xdm45 sure is, it feels like it was made for it. lol thanks for the pic when u post it :D

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 14 Jan 2011, 09:32

NVM a search found it...im slow

s64woody

Re: Holster sources for FsN

Post by s64woody » 18 Nov 2011, 20:30

Working in Kydex is pretty interesting, and allows all sorts of options, limited only by your imagination.

I have not tried to make a holster for the fiveseven, yet. The position of the safety bothers me a bit because it looks like a closely molded holster might take the weapon off of safe during the presentation. My fiveseven does not require much effort at all to take it off of safe. Has anyone had experience with this?

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 19 Nov 2011, 05:29

PMed.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 05 Dec 2011, 13:23

There are several holster sources on the web that offer semi generic holsters for guns with lasers and/or lights. Is there a gun there has a very similar profile to the FsN? I have a Blackhawk holster now that I might be able to modify with a Dremel tool but if it does not work I have wasted a nice holster.

The last time I was unsuccessful in sourcing a product I wound up going into the automobile floor mat business. I am starting to get a strange idea and I know it will be expensive......someone please stop me!
My idea for a holster is a skeleton design with the business end of the barrel fitting onto a 1" poly rod. The other details are evolving.
:ponder:
Any interest?

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 05 Dec 2011, 14:15

Sounds cool. Make yo paper booboo.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 05 Dec 2011, 21:43

Open-class holsters are really only sturdy enough for very light use. i.e. people who just walk around normally/gingerly. You can't run around with guns in them as they are not sturdy enough. Too much stress on too few points. Unless you come up with a very strong and simple lock. If it's too complex it tends to break, also. :)

But I'd be interested in testing it out. I would definitely do business with you if it were sturdy enough.

I have to warn you, I break everything (not on purpose). So if it survives me I'd definitely buy more.

I already broke my custom Kydex holster for USPSA and I had it for 4 months. I didn't try to break it or abuse it. It was just from normal wear and tear. I probably had 2000 holster/reholsters before it broke. Maker is a very honest and sincere guy that has a 6month-1year waiting period and he remade it for me overnight.

Broke my MRD on my FsN twice, broke the streamlight on it, broke the replacement light I got for it... you get the picture. :thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Holster discussions

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 Dec 2011, 22:09

SOME people (you know who you are & I guess now the rest of us do too :p ) are using the list of holster sources thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for general discussion purposes. Stop it or I'll ban you for like 5 seconds! :laugh: (That's a joke in case you missed it). So anyway, I put those posts in here & y'all can feel free to clutter this thread all you want with that talk. Please don't use the source thread for discussions - its meant to curb all the "where do I get a holster" questions & discussions make it harder to sort through for info.
Thanks
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Re: Holster discussions

Post by blueorison » 05 Dec 2011, 23:00

Thanks, Rapier!
Shoot more, worry less.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 06 Dec 2011, 05:04

How dare the mods try and keep this place clean and orderly...

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 06 Dec 2011, 05:04

(That's a joke in case you missed it) :p

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 08 Dec 2011, 11:23

Someone stole my brand new idea! Visit Versacarry.com and check out this guy's idea. I talked to the owner and he said people have contacted him regarding the FsN. Late 2012 is the anticipated delivery for new models.
I am still pursuing my idea but it is going to be difficult making a "blueorizon" resistant holster. Sounds like blue could break a cast iron football. :laugh:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 08 Dec 2011, 11:42

JoJo wrote:Someone stole my brand new idea! Visit Versacarry.com and check out this guy's idea. I talked to the owner and he said people have contacted him regarding the FsN. Late 2012 is the anticipated delivery for new models.
I am still pursuing my idea but it is going to be difficult making a "blueorizon" resistant holster. Sounds like blue could break a cast iron football. :laugh:
I don't understand... unless I do. The Versa holster only uses the barrel rod insert to keep the gun in place, alongside potential tension from the body?

HOW IS THIS STURDY LIKE THEY SAY IT IS? Someone tell me what I'm missing. I've only used 3 Level I holsters in which your gun doesn't fly out of them when you are running. 3. That's pathetic, considering how many there are. And one of them is the SERPA, which I'm pretty sure is still Level I even though there is a trigger-guard lock. But then again, that's what Level II and III holsters are made for; stronger retention for moving around and security of the firearm.

I don't see how these Versa holsters are capable of retaining the firearm even while not running, securely.

Jojo, the thing is, some holster mfg's don't really understand where the stress points of the holster are, when the gun is being unholstered, especially under higher speeds. They just make something that holds the gun and tries to make it look good. Many kydex holsters are prone to breakage, a fact of which the general firearm public is greatly unaware.
Shoot more, worry less.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 08 Dec 2011, 12:06

s64woody,

I roll my own Kydex holster. The nice thing about Kydex is that you can "unmold" it with some directly applied heat. If your concern about the safety is because it might press too hard on it while it is holstered, you can either create a "channel" for the safety with some wood whittling work (make a trough for the safety to ride in, but not affect the rest of the molding process) or you can just relieve that area afterwards with some directed heat. The Kydex will "relax" in that area, and as long as you don't over do it, it won't affect the rest of the mold.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 08 Dec 2011, 13:27

blueorison wrote:
JoJo wrote:Someone stole my brand new idea! Visit Versacarry.com and check out this guy's idea. I talked to the owner and he said people have contacted him regarding the FsN. Late 2012 is the anticipated delivery for new models.
I don't understand... unless I do. The Versa holster only uses the barrel rod insert to keep the gun in place, alongside potential tension from the body?

HOW IS THIS STURDY LIKE THEY SAY IT IS? Someone tell me what I'm missing. I've only used 3 Level I holsters in which your gun doesn't fly out of them when you are running. 3. That's pathetic, considering how many there are. And one of them is the SERPA, which I'm pretty sure is still Level I even though there is a trigger-guard lock. But then again, that's what Level II and III holsters are made for; stronger retention for moving around and security of the firearm.

I don't see how these Versa holsters are capable of retaining the firearm even while not running, securely.

Jojo, the thing is, some holster mfg's don't really understand where the stress points of the holster are, when the gun is being unholstered, especially under higher speeds. They just make something that holds the gun and tries to make it look good. Many kydex holsters are prone to breakage, a fact of which the general firearm public is greatly unaware.
I really do understand your concern and share that concern. I think Versacarry's design is only a starting point. My taste leans toward leather so that is my direction. Not only that but my buddy just loaned me his leather tools and sewing machine! I work part time in 'personal protection' and any holster MUST be secure. My Galco holsters have all had a strap with a snap closure and I have never dropped a gun while moving but I have never been in combat or fast action.
I found Versacarry when I searched "race guns". BTW, they do seem fragile.

Blue, where do your holsters break and what is the movement that breaks them? Do any of the competitors use leather?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 08 Dec 2011, 17:36

Jojo, thanks for understand where I was coming from! :)

Just a quick background that others have heard before: I shoot everything. IDPA/IPSC/Steel, you name it, and have used many other's guns to compete with; which means I have used their holsters. I have used many holsters, in short.

My kydex holsters tend to break on the front face (the top of the slide is under that face, but usually not contacting it). They start forming a stress crease then begin to "tear". This is from the torque that is created when you have a holster that is very close to the body and you do not draw the gun straight up (I never draw the gun straight up. Unnecessary shoulder bending movement that does not aid my draw and punching out. However, I see many IDPA and NRA-trained people draw straight up. Everyone shoots differently.).

This problem can be solved by offsetting the holster and dropping it, such that I do not have to push my shoulder straight up and back in order not to cause that kind of stress on my holster/holster attachment point on my belt.

However, in emergencies and in competition, I want the most efficient cost-effective draw. The cost being time and movement. That is NOT done by drawing the gun "straight up" from the holster, causing the shoulder to rise and the upper arm to go behind the body. Again, I'm not here to start a debate about what kind of draw anyone has and what is the right method, I don't care how you draw your gun. This is just for myself and others who use the same method I do.

Some competitors with 1911's do use leather holsters. I have also met Open-division competitors in IPSC/USPSA that use leather holsters. However, they are few and far between. The majority of leather holsters I come into contact with are from CHL holders. In that case it is about even in numbers with kydex and leather. In Texas, I see a lot of leather.

Hope that helps.
Shoot more, worry less.

s64woody

Post by s64woody » 08 Dec 2011, 22:36

Zhurdan Thanks for the input. I had been scheming quietly for the last few days and had just about settled on that approach. I figure that the pistol will look pretty strange when the Kydex gets close to it, what with various fillers and additions to allow clearance for different things.

I live in the Pacific North West, and can carry most of the year with a shoulder holster, but will be working on IWB as well. Flexibility is a good thing. It will be interesting to see just how compact and durable I can get these things. Kydex is cheap enough that you can experiment without breaking the bank.

woody

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 09 Dec 2011, 13:46

I sent my Viridian C5L to Elite to have them make me a LH holster for my FsN.

They have my Five SeveN slide too, I'm also getting night sights installed. Can't wait to get it back!

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 09 Dec 2011, 18:14

Man, sounds like you got the whole treatment!

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 14 Dec 2011, 06:44

blueorison wrote:

Well, I finished my first holster.....ugly as a brick but functional. I would up with a very simple open design but I am unhappy that it is not more universal. Back to the drawing board.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 14 Dec 2011, 07:45

lets see some pics JoJo!

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 14 Dec 2011, 09:20

MikeSantor wrote:lets see some pics JoJo!
When I finish one that looks good I will post some pics. Currently, it is embarrassing (my first effort with leather). I am not a competition shooter so I am using a snap to secure the gun from the top. How do you feel about snap closures?

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 14 Dec 2011, 09:26

No need to be embarrassed man! We all start somewhere. I got into leather craft a few years ago but have since abonded it. Im in the process of getting back into it. Its all dictated by how much free time I have though.

As for the snap closure, if it works for you that it dosnt matter how we feel about it :thumb:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 14 Dec 2011, 17:45

They work well if your leather is stiff enough on top. If they ride too low on the gun they can obstruct a good grip-weld at the holster. Many times the snap-buttons accidentally un-snap if the gun or holster is jolted.

That's one reason why some mfg's use a loop, instead, on their Lvl 3's. It isn't as secure as snaps and doesn't necessarily mold to the shape of the back of the pistol, but it isn't meant to, since it's a Lvl 3 and the pistol is already retained. It's just meant to block access.
Shoot more, worry less.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 15 Dec 2011, 06:43

blueorison wrote:They work well if your leather is stiff enough on top. If they ride too low on the gun they can obstruct a good grip-weld at the holster. Many times the snap-buttons accidentally un-snap if the gun or holster is jolted.

That's one reason why some mfg's use a loop, instead, on their Lvl 3's. It isn't as secure as snaps and doesn't necessarily mold to the shape of the back of the pistol, but it isn't meant to, since it's a Lvl 3 and the pistol is already retained. It's just meant to block access.
I am still exploring ideas. Could you post a picture of your favorite holster?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 15 Dec 2011, 10:52

Sure, I'll post when I get home from work. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 15 Dec 2011, 19:26

Back from work.

Ok, dude, JoJo, I'll hit some points for you that I hope will be beneficial to you :)

I've used quite a few holsters, from CCW leather to Kydex lowered and dropped holsters. This doesn't make me a holster-expert, just someone who has used more than a fair share. Mostly because I often shoot borrowed pistols as much as I shoot the few pistols I own. Thus far I've only broken one, recently, and it was one that was custom made to the dimensions I submitted. The kydex bender, a very honorable gentleman, immediately made a new one and sent it to me. He's like Yoda with a toaster oven. :laugh:

I prefer Kydex because I don't feel bad about bashing it or scratching it, versus leather. The nicest leather holster I've used was with DW's Nighthawk 1911. It was a Gunsite version that was lowered and flared for a faster draw. It was the most functional (see: efficient/best) leather holster I have used. I don't doubt it was out of my paygrade, though :D

From what I have seen, many mfg's don't understand the mechanics that go into a holster. They think that because it just "retains" the gun well, that they have created God's gift to man. I keep hearing them tout how this holster system vs that one is better.

I think I'll make a "Blue's holster guide" video. Video explains a lot better than just words, which can often be misconstrued. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 16 Dec 2011, 06:09

blueorison wrote:Back from work.

Ok, dude, JoJo, I'll hit some points for you that I hope will be beneficial to you :)

I've used quite a few holsters, from CCW leather to Kydex lowered and dropped holsters. This doesn't make me a holster-expert, just someone who has used more than a fair share. Mostly because I often shoot borrowed pistols as much as I shoot the few pistols I own. Thus far I've only broken one, recently, and it was one that was custom made to the dimensions I submitted. The kydex bender, a very honorable gentleman, immediately made a new one and sent it to me. He's like Yoda with a toaster oven. :laugh:

I prefer Kydex because I don't feel bad about bashing it or scratching it, versus leather. The nicest leather holster I've used was with DW's Nighthawk 1911. It was a Gunsite version that was lowered and flared for a faster draw. It was the most functional (see: efficient/best) leather holster I have used. I don't doubt it was out of my paygrade, though :D

From what I have seen, many mfg's don't understand the mechanics that go into a holster. They think that because it just "retains" the gun well, that they have created God's gift to man. I keep hearing them tout how this holster system vs that one is better.

I think I'll make a "Blue's holster guide" video. Video explains a lot better than just words, which can often be misconstrued. :)
I would love to participate with you to produce a professional video! My studio is in Atlanta. Where are you?

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 16 Dec 2011, 06:29

Hey, blue..just out of curiosity, have you ever used nylon holsters? I use nylon as my duty holster and there are a lot of them that have kydex linings (or some other hard plastics) in areas where the nylon would take a beating.
I know there are some uber cheap and some that are WAY not cheap, but..??
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 16 Dec 2011, 06:50

Cordura 1000 and kydex would be <3...

Wish I could sew.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Dec 2011, 06:51

JoJo wrote:I would love to participate with you to produce a professional video! My studio is in Atlanta. Where are you?
Blue's in Austin

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 16 Dec 2011, 10:19

Rapier1772 wrote:
JoJo wrote:I would love to participate with you to produce a professional video! My studio is in Atlanta. Where are you?
Blue's in Austin
Hey Blue,

My son lives in Austin. I will be coming out there in the spring for a week. I can bring my equipment if you will prepare a shot list and script!

JoJo

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 Dec 2011, 20:15

JoJo wrote:
Rapier1772 wrote:
Blue's in Austin
Hey Blue,

My son lives in Austin. I will be coming out there in the spring for a week. I can bring my equipment if you will prepare a shot list and script!

JoJo
I'm down for it, JoJo. I just graduated from UT, and thus I reside in Austin. I'll send you a couple videos, check your PM :) As for a script... I tend to just improv... kinda like how I shoot.. but I don't mind scripts. I do shoot IDPA every once in a while so I know what scripts feel like...

@Fly:

Yes I have used many nylon holsters. My main holster I train with is a very flimsy $10 Uncle Mikes holster. I use it to train for unorthodox reasons, but cannot recommend it to anyone else. I have also used other nylon holsters with reinforced internals. I find them acceptable.

I'm filming the holster review tonight.
Shoot more, worry less.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 16 Dec 2011, 23:36

I was just curious.
Uncle Mike. Yeah, for the cost conscious, I guess that's the way to go. If Mrs. Fly weren't asleep, I'd sneak in there and dig out the one I have for my Witness. It reminds me of something from a post apocolyptic movie. I dunno why, but a modern version of something a Viking might have. Nylon, yes, but more reinforcements, brads and cross stitching than I'd ever seen before. Fits the Witness perfectly, so I doubt it would work for a FsN, but man, is it ever TOUGH.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 Dec 2011, 00:33

I like Uncle Mike holsters. I mention it briefly in the video,

which I'm uploading right now and will put together and upload to youtube, soon, tonight.
Shoot more, worry less.

Eric T

Post by Eric T » 03 Feb 2012, 20:59

I'd like to ad just in case some of ya'll don't know- You can re-shape those kydex holsters pretty easily. I originally bought a crossbreed type holster for my Ruger SR9, then I started carrying a Glock 21 so I took the clips off and put the whole thing in the oven on 200 for about 30 seconds. Just long enough for it to loose its shape and kind of bubble out. I put my Glock in there on top of a piece of cardboard and pressed it to make the shape, then I pulled the cardboard out, and pushed in a little where the breech was, and inside the trigger guard That way those were the only 2 places that the kydex really held tight. I did the same thing with the 5-7, and I'll do it 1 more time when my X5L gets here next week. I don't know how many times you can do this, but so far every time I put it in the oven it loses shape, and bubbles out exactly the same. Anyway I'm sure alot of ya'll knew this, but I figured I'd add that just in case anyone here hadn't . Ohh and I'm sorry if I wasn't supposed to post this here as it's not really a "source", but I thought it might help someone. I mean there's such a difference in the size of these guns I was impressed how easy it was to manipulate this kydex.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 Feb 2012, 23:40

Welcome to Kydex bending :cya:

I wouldn't do it over and over again for something that is meant to be actually used.

Then again, if the equipment is not used hard, it doesn't matter that much. :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 04 Feb 2012, 08:12

Eric T wrote: I don't know how many times you can do this, but so far every time I put it in the oven it loses shape, and bubbles out exactly the same.
indefinitely.

Just dont heat it up too fast or it will start to turn the kydex glossy and splotchy. Slow and steady heat.

Eric T

Post by Eric T » 04 Feb 2012, 08:32

Well as soon as my X5L gets here that should be the last time I re-mold it. Well I say that, but knowing my luck after all my research, money saving, and finally getting the 5-7 someone will come out with something newer and better that I'll "need" to carry. I just say that because this is the most expensive weapon I've purchased. I'm usually a Glock/AK kind of person. Ugly rugged and dependable works well for me. Honestly if Glock had come out with a $600 5-7 I'd most likely have bought it. Though I am glad they didn't this feels a lot better in my hand than my Glocks.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 04 Feb 2012, 08:45

Eric T wrote:Ugly rugged and dependable.
Isnt this Greenberg's requirments at the bar?

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 04 Feb 2012, 08:51

MikeSantor wrote:
Eric T wrote:Ugly rugged and dependable.
Isnt this Greenberg's requirments at the bar?
Ugly?!?!? Really??? I go for top shelf only! Rugged... well that depends on the activity. Dependable - most definitely!
Last edited by jgreenberg01 on 04 Feb 2012, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 04 Feb 2012, 08:54

Haha, that was quick Jeff.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Feb 2012, 08:58

MikeSantor wrote:
Eric T wrote: I don't know how many times you can do this, but so far every time I put it in the oven it loses shape, and bubbles out exactly the same.
indefinitely.

Just dont heat it up too fast or it will start to turn the kydex glossy and splotchy. Slow and steady heat.
Really? It won't cause distortion or weaken the fastening points?

That's pretty cool, I learned something, thanks!
Shoot more, worry less.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 04 Feb 2012, 09:06

blueorison wrote:
MikeSantor wrote:
indefinitely.

Really? It won't cause distortion or weaken the fastening points?

That's pretty cool, I learned something, thanks!
This is supposidly true due to the makeup of kydex. I have bent the same piece of kydex around 15 time and nothing deformed or was any different from a virgin piece of 'dex. Again, the key is slow, even heat. I HAVE however deformed kydex by heating too fast.

The best thing to do is wait for the old lady to leave the house. Then put the oven on 315*. Throw your kydex in there for 5 minutes then check it. I use 5 minutes for smaller pieces and 8 min for larger ones. Ten press your gun.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Feb 2012, 09:12

Thanks, Mike! Learning everyday.
Shoot more, worry less.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 04 Feb 2012, 09:32

No probs.

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 04 Feb 2012, 13:45

Mike I think you need more practice where are my mag holders :)

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 04 Feb 2012, 14:25

Talk to Jay, He will hook you up.

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 04 Feb 2012, 15:17

My govt. Salary can't afford even the cheap price charged ;(

timmcconkey

Post by timmcconkey » 08 Mar 2012, 04:10

Was interested in feedback on holsters for a fn57. Weapon has sig light/laser (exact same light that is in the picture in the flashlight thread on this forum) weapon is also oufitted with a burris fastfire II using base/mount that is sold through true hunting supply. I hunt with this weapon and currently have been removing the laser/light combo in order for it to fit into my "uncle mikes" holster for carrying and then resighting it when hunting season is over. While this has the added benefit of giving me extra excuses to goto the range with my favorite tool, I am concerned about the wear on the light from the removal/reattachment. Now here is the clincher, as a hunter my biggest concern is not with the speed of the draw but how quiet the draw is, and minimal motion in unsecuring it. After searching this thread and the resources here I feel like some input from people who have used some of these holsters would be great if possible. I am definatly looking for black gortex/canvas style holster (not leather) that is pistol belt or thigh mounted to integrate with my tac vest that I use for hunting. Also my 57 still has the front sight although I am not against removing it if neccesary.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 08 Mar 2012, 12:50

Welcome Tim,
This is the thread for holster discussions so I moved your post here. There are a couple of holster review type threads around although I wish more people would post about the various kinds they have (ahem, hint hint people!).
timmcconkey wrote:I am definatly looking for black gortex/canvas style holster (not leather) that is pistol belt or thigh mounted to integrate with my tac vest that I use for hunting.
Only one nylon holster maker on the list right now unfortunately. Did you see the one about the Elite survival though? It is in a different section because it's for a laser/light combo but it is nylon.
viewtopic.php?p=184782#p184782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 08 Mar 2012, 23:41

Tim, check your PM's.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum! :)
Shoot more, worry less.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 09 Mar 2012, 19:18

The nicest leather holster I've used was with DW's Nighthawk 1911. It was a Gunsite version that was lowered and flared for a faster draw. It was the most functional (see: efficient/best) leather holster I have used. I don't doubt it was out of my paygrade, though :D

Let me translate. DW is me. the holster he is referring to is made by

http://davisleathercompany.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well made, simple holsters.

Blue buy some new shoes and you will quit falling down. Less breakage. :p

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Mar 2012, 19:55

SHEEPDOG wrote:The nicest leather holster I've used was with DW's Nighthawk 1911. It was a Gunsite version that was lowered and flared for a faster draw. It was the most functional (see: efficient/best) leather holster I have used. I don't doubt it was out of my paygrade, though :D

Let me translate. DW is me. the holster he is referring to is made by

http://davisleathercompany.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well made, simple holsters.

Blue buy some new shoes and you will quit falling down. Less breakage. :p
:lmao: :lmao:

What a coincidence... it was raining heavily, today, and I was running full tilt from HQ to the visitor's pavilion. In between is an old, wooden bridge. As I banked the corner and stepped on the first plank, my torn, old, boots didn't tract and my foot and body went lateral airborne. EXACTLY the same way I flew/fell during the invite match. :lmao:

My colleagues behind me said one moment they saw me running, and the next, I disappeared. They also said my blood was the most neon red they've ever seen. They asked me if it was real! :lmao:
Shoot more, worry less.

blacklabelop

Post by blacklabelop » 04 Jul 2012, 14:40

I am a day or 2 off from buying a Raven phantom modular holster with pancake wings and tuckable j-hooks..

Unless anyone has something bad to say about it??

My buddy loves raven but I don't have any hands on experience with the FiveseveN holsters.. his are IWB and smaller guns than this will be..

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Jul 2012, 14:42

I've only heard good things about Raven. If/when you get it, please write up a review thread of it, preferably w/pics.
(But not in this thread :laugh: )

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Jul 2012, 14:42

blacklabelop wrote:I am a day or 2 off from buying a Raven phantom modular holster with pancake wings and tuckable j-hooks..

Unless anyone has something bad to say about it??

My buddy loves raven but I don't have any hands on experience with the FiveseveN holsters.. his are IWB and smaller guns than this will be..
Make sure you explore all your options... there are quite a few great FsN IWB holsters out there... :)
Shoot more, worry less.

blacklabelop

Post by blacklabelop » 04 Jul 2012, 14:50

Am I breaking some kind of protocol?

I like the fact that it is convertable.. and I just dropped alot of coin on a new carry belt so I am jonsin to rock this thing around..

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 04 Jul 2012, 14:53

blacklabelop wrote:Am I breaking some kind of protocol?

I like the fact that it is convertable.. and I just dropped alot of coin on a new carry belt so I am jonsin to rock this thing around..
No protocol error - I think he just means that there are a lot of options available. Raven concealment is a good choice but it's expensive and can take literally 16 weeks to get the thing.

I had ordered one for my FNP-45 Tactical but got frustrated after 14 weeks (at the time they quoting 12 week delivery) and had a custom knockoff made for half the price instead.

MTAC and Crossbreed both make some very popular holsters at much less money and way faster delivery.

It simply may be worth exploring other alternatives.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Jul 2012, 15:54

Slight protocol error - wrong holster thread :laugh:
Now its in the right thread. Carry on.

I guess that has multiple meanings with this subject huh? :ponder: :laugh:

xslice

Post by xslice » 19 Jul 2012, 20:03

I ordered a Rusty Sherrick holster for my wife for her bday a couple years ago. He makes a great holster. She loves it. Rides the dirt bike on the land with it strapped by her side.

Dude

Post by Dude » 24 Jul 2012, 17:50

In light of recent events, I wish to start concealed carrying my FsN. Please advise on what holsters have worked well for you and why. Which are the ones to steer clear of and why. I will simply be walking around, no calisthenics. I do not mind having to purchase two distinct holsters if necessary if there are advantages to different scenarios. I'm 6'3", medium build. Thank you.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 Jul 2012, 19:24

In the actual holster source thread (thanks for picking the right thread to post in BTW :laugh: ) there are reviews of only 4 holsters. I've tried to get these guys to post more review threads but I guess they're too lazy ( :p to them )

Here are all the actual reviews:
I use the comp-tac minotaur, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are also some crossbreed comments/pics in there.
Serpa: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elite Survival Systems tactical holster: viewtopic.php?p=184782#p184782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rest of the holsters just have simple comments in the relative thread such as: good holster, I like it, it works, etc...

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 18 Aug 2012, 18:08

Anyone have experience with these?
Hogue PowerSpeed™ Universal Speed Holster
ETA: because finding a holster that works with a suppressor and doesn't look like a duffel bag is a pain.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 18 Aug 2012, 19:11

Yes/No.

Open div holsters - yes
made by Hogue - no

I didn't even know they made one.

Be very careful with open holsters, make sure you buy a VERY solid one with a good reputation.

Even the brand-name ones break. IMO they are almost useless and I'll never own one. But that's just me.

I'm way more interested in the firearm on there.. what in the world is it? A .22?
Shoot more, worry less.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 19 Aug 2012, 14:44

Thanks, Blue.

[Off Topic]
The firearm (at least the top end) looks to be another Hogue product, "The Avenger"
Fixed-barrel conversion...

http://www.m1911.org/hogueavenger.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[/Off Topic]
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 Aug 2012, 15:49

Esteves wrote:Anyone have experience with these?
Hogue PowerSpeed™ Universal Speed Holster
I went to youtube & checked a couple of vids. That Max Michel guy (Sig shooter) uses something like this (successfully) but his covers the muzzle so it wouldn't be good for suppressor.

I too would like to find a holster that works with a suppressor & yet not a "duffel bag"

Oh and the Avenger thing is a pretty cool idea for a race gun :D

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 19 Aug 2012, 22:25

Thanks, Esteves.

Here is the conundrum; you want more than one point of security on your open holster. I'm sure this makes sense, as one point (clipped onto trigger guard) doesn't make the securing of the firearm to the holster very physically stable or distribute the stress and torque very wisely.

That is why (in my puny mind, anywhoo) many open holsters use a delrin rod that goes into the barrel when you holster your firearm. It is secured by a clip/ball-bearing at the holster, and resting on the delrin rod.

Again, I'm not familiar nor have I used the Hogue open holster. I don't know how it works. For your uses, it looks like a great idea. The alternatives would be to get a kydex bender who has made suppressor holsters (they do) to make you one, or go with other holsters. There are other holster designs that allow suppressors. New ones just came out this past year that use different modes of securing the pistols such that suppressors can be used.

I vaguely remember a IWB company making an IWB/OWB suppressor-able holster. It was a better-known company, also.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 Aug 2012, 23:10

blueorison wrote:Here is the conundrum; you want more than one point of security on your open holster. I'm sure this makes sense, as one point (clipped onto trigger guard) doesn't make the securing of the firearm to the holster very physically stable or distribute the stress and torque very wisely.

That is why (in my puny mind, anywhoo) many open holsters use a delrin rod that goes into the barrel when you holster your firearm. It is secured by a clip/ball-bearing at the holster, and resting on the delrin rod.
Thanks blue, now you've got me thinkin'... :ponder:
I actually have an idea for one now but it's going to take me a while to fabricate something & even then it will just be a concept model. Maybe one of our holster gurus can actually make it after that?
That is unless someone can tell me where to get the plastic inserts like in that Hogue model? They'd have to be bigger though so I can dremel/shape them to fit.
Actually, leather might work too but only if it is reinforced a certain way :ponder:

Woozy Welder

Post by Woozy Welder » 01 Sep 2012, 14:42

BADDOG45ACP wrote: Can be ordered with un-molded kydex for those of you with lights and/or lasers - mold your own!
I have been looking at that holster for quite some time and looks perfect.
How do you mold your own? I was interested in this not for attachments but for another shell for a different gun.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 01 Sep 2012, 15:25

I moved your post here Woozy mainly because re-molding kydex was discussed back in Feb. I thought we had a DIY kydex holster thread but I can't find it :?: But maybe this will get you started or at least give you some ideas?

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 01 Sep 2012, 20:31

This site has sheath and holster making supplies.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php ... .htm~smain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 01 Sep 2012, 21:54

LK45s wrote:This site has sheath and holster making supplies.
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php ... .htm~smain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Know where Woozy can find directions?

Woozy Welder

Post by Woozy Welder » 02 Sep 2012, 07:43

Thanks guys, I bought the tuckable holster from old faithful with the kydex pre-molded for my 5.7 and I'll get another sheet from them for my Baby Eagle later. I found some molding directions on Youtube actually, but they were using plastic gun models when making the mold. I'm just going to assume it's safe to use my actual gun (100% steel) when making the mold. :p

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 02 Sep 2012, 16:46

It has been a while since I have been on that site. I was thinking that they provided free info. Now it appears you have to pay for it. :ponder:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_i ... cts_id=288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rapier1772 wrote:
LK45s wrote:This site has sheath and holster making supplies.
Know where Woozy can find directions?
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

Michigan Bob

Post by Michigan Bob » 03 May 2013, 03:20

Does anyone have a problem with the rail teeth hanging up on the holster preventing a draw? Got a nice concealed IWB holster, but actually had to cut the stitching to loosen the fit because the rail teeth were locking the pistol in to the point the whole holster came out and snagged with the draw.

Thought about taping the rail, but that would be marginally effective and look like hell. Is there some sort of a guard available to slip over and lock on to the rail to cover the teeth? Any suggestions?

Bob

Michigan Bob

Post by Michigan Bob » 03 May 2013, 09:00

Another issue I am having is that the pistol is on safe when inserted into the holster, yet when it comes out it is on fire. I don't feel comfortable having a round in the chamber during carry, and to rack it in an emergency is not very desirable. Obviously since the pistol will be holstered 99.99999999999% of the time, the biggest risk I face is shooting my ass cheek off while driving down the road.

Suggestions? Think this issue with the safety can be a 'defect' in the design (mold a guard over it to give access but prevent accidental engagement of the safety) that FN should be aware of?

Bob

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 05 May 2013, 22:27

I don't see how FN has a defect when your holster isn't made correctly. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 16 Jun 2013, 09:50

From http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very nice! One of these days, I will post pics of my effort to make a holster.........when I know you guys better and can take an insult. :laugh:

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 16 Jun 2013, 09:52

Hey bobapunk, are you interested in making a holster for a guy with ten thumbs?

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 16 Jun 2013, 13:41

JoJo wrote:Hey bobapunk, are you interested in making a holster for a guy with ten thumbs?
10 thumbs? Hmm sure, why not!

Toemader

Post by Toemader » 04 Aug 2013, 17:15

So I could use some advice here. I went to the gun show today and found two different dealers selling Blackhawk Serpa holsters for the 5.7. I was able to put my gun in the holster but the latch just would not lock the gun in place. It seemed like it just needed to advance another 1/8in or so and it would have been good. My 5.7 just arrived last week and as I understand it, the gun has not changed lately. At both booths we loosened the screw on the holster to maybe make for more room but it just would not work. I could see the release button raise as the trigger guard ran across it, but the gun would never go far enough in to allow for the lock to snap down into position. And I was pushing really hard too. Any thoughts?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Aug 2013, 17:20

Toemader wrote:So I could use some advice here. I went to the gun show today and found two different dealers selling Blackhawk Serpa holsters for the 5.7. I was able to put my gun in the holster but the latch just would not lock the gun in place. It seemed like it just needed to advance another 1/8in or so and it would have been good. My 5.7 just arrived last week and as I understand it, the gun has not changed lately. At both booths we loosened the screw on the holster to maybe make for more room but it just would not work. I could see the release button raise as the trigger guard ran across it, but the gun would never go far enough in to allow for the lock to snap down into position. And I was pushing really hard too. Any thoughts?
You have a MKII, don't you.
Shoot more, worry less.

NWmissouriman
Gold Member

Post by NWmissouriman » 26 Aug 2013, 09:07

This is a Winthrop IWB holster I ordered off of Amazon for $55. It doesn't say if it is for the MKII or the USG, but it fits the MKII very well IMO. The molding and retention seem good, yet the gun goes in with ease.
Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

NWmissouriman
Gold Member

Post by NWmissouriman » 20 Sep 2013, 13:36

Update on the Winthrop.....when drawing from the holster, the safety is turned off. Personally, I don't like that, but I suppose some could see that as a good thing. It could have something to do with the way I draw the gun, I'm not sure, but I holster the FsN with the safety on and when I draw it does something to flip the safety off. Just a heads up to anyone who might have been interested in this holster.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 20 Sep 2013, 13:52

How do you know it's not flipping it off when you insert it into the holster? This is kinda like checking to see if the fridge light is still on after you close the door, eh?

NWmissouriman
Gold Member

Post by NWmissouriman » 20 Sep 2013, 20:55

I know because of the molding impressions in the holster that it sits in the holster with the safety on....it happens as it is drawn. So, no, its nothing like the light on the fridge.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 21 Sep 2013, 06:02

Disengaging the safety is an issue with FsN holsters. The ones that I make are blocked out around the safety and tested to ensure the safety stays engaged when holstering and drawing.

NWmissouriman
Gold Member

Post by NWmissouriman » 21 Sep 2013, 06:33

Bobapunk, what material do you make your holsters from?

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 21 Sep 2013, 09:18

I do either all Kydex or Kydex/leather hybrids.