Holster discussions

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

darksidemxer

Re: Holsters

Post by darksidemxer » 14 Jan 2011, 07:18

Here is an interesting one, my crossbreed supertuck for my steyr m40 also easily and comfortably fits my xdm45 and my 5.7. I have been carrying the xdm in it for a few days no issues and I will be doing it with the 5.7 today but a quick test around the house revealed that it works fine, even with me jumping aroud like a moron.

tparty

Post by tparty » 14 Jan 2011, 09:04

darksidemxer said:
Here is an interesting one, my crossbreed supertuck for my steyr m40 also easily and comfortably fits my xdm45 and my 5.7. I have been carrying the xdm in it for a few days no issues and I will be doing it with the 5.7 today but a quick test around the house revealed that it works fine, even with me jumping aroud like a moron.
That's interesting...I wonder if they intended it that way? I've been told by several fairly authoritative people to only use carry holsters for manufacturer-recommended weapons in case you have to defend your equipment in court or in case the holster malfunctions at the worst possible moment. I wonder if you emailed them and asked them if the holster works for the FsN what they would say? I have the FsN Supertuck Deluxe from them and it's wonderful, although I have to be careful when drawing--it can catch the front sight. Crossbreed is an extremely customer-based company with some fairly innovative products; I hope they always stay like that.

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 14 Jan 2011, 09:30

post a pic of it if you wouldnt mind i would like to compare a little. im sure a DA would pull at every string possible BUT then again like my CRM *ex chief of policee* prof just said, if you use a 5.7 they are going to wanna know why you need a rifle round, 20 of them, and if you use EA ammo why you need such high velocity ammo thats custom made. *as opposed to standard off the shelf blue tip ammo* he said the holster is the least of your worries as he has seen cases where the guy uses his pants draw string to secure it and they left it alone. *back on topic* the front sight is huge but it didnt snag on the draw out of the steyr holster. the 5.7 isnt a PEEEERFECT fit but the xdm45 sure is, it feels like it was made for it. lol thanks for the pic when u post it :D

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 14 Jan 2011, 09:32

NVM a search found it...im slow

s64woody

Re: Holster sources for FsN

Post by s64woody » 18 Nov 2011, 20:30

Working in Kydex is pretty interesting, and allows all sorts of options, limited only by your imagination.

I have not tried to make a holster for the fiveseven, yet. The position of the safety bothers me a bit because it looks like a closely molded holster might take the weapon off of safe during the presentation. My fiveseven does not require much effort at all to take it off of safe. Has anyone had experience with this?

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 19 Nov 2011, 05:29

PMed.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 05 Dec 2011, 13:23

There are several holster sources on the web that offer semi generic holsters for guns with lasers and/or lights. Is there a gun there has a very similar profile to the FsN? I have a Blackhawk holster now that I might be able to modify with a Dremel tool but if it does not work I have wasted a nice holster.

The last time I was unsuccessful in sourcing a product I wound up going into the automobile floor mat business. I am starting to get a strange idea and I know it will be expensive......someone please stop me!
My idea for a holster is a skeleton design with the business end of the barrel fitting onto a 1" poly rod. The other details are evolving.
:ponder:
Any interest?

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 05 Dec 2011, 14:15

Sounds cool. Make yo paper booboo.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 05 Dec 2011, 21:43

Open-class holsters are really only sturdy enough for very light use. i.e. people who just walk around normally/gingerly. You can't run around with guns in them as they are not sturdy enough. Too much stress on too few points. Unless you come up with a very strong and simple lock. If it's too complex it tends to break, also. :)

But I'd be interested in testing it out. I would definitely do business with you if it were sturdy enough.

I have to warn you, I break everything (not on purpose). So if it survives me I'd definitely buy more.

I already broke my custom Kydex holster for USPSA and I had it for 4 months. I didn't try to break it or abuse it. It was just from normal wear and tear. I probably had 2000 holster/reholsters before it broke. Maker is a very honest and sincere guy that has a 6month-1year waiting period and he remade it for me overnight.

Broke my MRD on my FsN twice, broke the streamlight on it, broke the replacement light I got for it... you get the picture. :thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Holster discussions

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 Dec 2011, 22:09

SOME people (you know who you are & I guess now the rest of us do too :p ) are using the list of holster sources thread (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for general discussion purposes. Stop it or I'll ban you for like 5 seconds! :laugh: (That's a joke in case you missed it). So anyway, I put those posts in here & y'all can feel free to clutter this thread all you want with that talk. Please don't use the source thread for discussions - its meant to curb all the "where do I get a holster" questions & discussions make it harder to sort through for info.
Thanks
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Re: Holster discussions

Post by blueorison » 05 Dec 2011, 23:00

Thanks, Rapier!
Shoot more, worry less.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 06 Dec 2011, 05:04

How dare the mods try and keep this place clean and orderly...

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 06 Dec 2011, 05:04

(That's a joke in case you missed it) :p

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 08 Dec 2011, 11:23

Someone stole my brand new idea! Visit Versacarry.com and check out this guy's idea. I talked to the owner and he said people have contacted him regarding the FsN. Late 2012 is the anticipated delivery for new models.
I am still pursuing my idea but it is going to be difficult making a "blueorizon" resistant holster. Sounds like blue could break a cast iron football. :laugh:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 08 Dec 2011, 11:42

JoJo wrote:Someone stole my brand new idea! Visit Versacarry.com and check out this guy's idea. I talked to the owner and he said people have contacted him regarding the FsN. Late 2012 is the anticipated delivery for new models.
I am still pursuing my idea but it is going to be difficult making a "blueorizon" resistant holster. Sounds like blue could break a cast iron football. :laugh:
I don't understand... unless I do. The Versa holster only uses the barrel rod insert to keep the gun in place, alongside potential tension from the body?

HOW IS THIS STURDY LIKE THEY SAY IT IS? Someone tell me what I'm missing. I've only used 3 Level I holsters in which your gun doesn't fly out of them when you are running. 3. That's pathetic, considering how many there are. And one of them is the SERPA, which I'm pretty sure is still Level I even though there is a trigger-guard lock. But then again, that's what Level II and III holsters are made for; stronger retention for moving around and security of the firearm.

I don't see how these Versa holsters are capable of retaining the firearm even while not running, securely.

Jojo, the thing is, some holster mfg's don't really understand where the stress points of the holster are, when the gun is being unholstered, especially under higher speeds. They just make something that holds the gun and tries to make it look good. Many kydex holsters are prone to breakage, a fact of which the general firearm public is greatly unaware.
Shoot more, worry less.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 08 Dec 2011, 12:06

s64woody,

I roll my own Kydex holster. The nice thing about Kydex is that you can "unmold" it with some directly applied heat. If your concern about the safety is because it might press too hard on it while it is holstered, you can either create a "channel" for the safety with some wood whittling work (make a trough for the safety to ride in, but not affect the rest of the molding process) or you can just relieve that area afterwards with some directed heat. The Kydex will "relax" in that area, and as long as you don't over do it, it won't affect the rest of the mold.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 08 Dec 2011, 13:27

blueorison wrote:
JoJo wrote:Someone stole my brand new idea! Visit Versacarry.com and check out this guy's idea. I talked to the owner and he said people have contacted him regarding the FsN. Late 2012 is the anticipated delivery for new models.
I don't understand... unless I do. The Versa holster only uses the barrel rod insert to keep the gun in place, alongside potential tension from the body?

HOW IS THIS STURDY LIKE THEY SAY IT IS? Someone tell me what I'm missing. I've only used 3 Level I holsters in which your gun doesn't fly out of them when you are running. 3. That's pathetic, considering how many there are. And one of them is the SERPA, which I'm pretty sure is still Level I even though there is a trigger-guard lock. But then again, that's what Level II and III holsters are made for; stronger retention for moving around and security of the firearm.

I don't see how these Versa holsters are capable of retaining the firearm even while not running, securely.

Jojo, the thing is, some holster mfg's don't really understand where the stress points of the holster are, when the gun is being unholstered, especially under higher speeds. They just make something that holds the gun and tries to make it look good. Many kydex holsters are prone to breakage, a fact of which the general firearm public is greatly unaware.
I really do understand your concern and share that concern. I think Versacarry's design is only a starting point. My taste leans toward leather so that is my direction. Not only that but my buddy just loaned me his leather tools and sewing machine! I work part time in 'personal protection' and any holster MUST be secure. My Galco holsters have all had a strap with a snap closure and I have never dropped a gun while moving but I have never been in combat or fast action.
I found Versacarry when I searched "race guns". BTW, they do seem fragile.

Blue, where do your holsters break and what is the movement that breaks them? Do any of the competitors use leather?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 08 Dec 2011, 17:36

Jojo, thanks for understand where I was coming from! :)

Just a quick background that others have heard before: I shoot everything. IDPA/IPSC/Steel, you name it, and have used many other's guns to compete with; which means I have used their holsters. I have used many holsters, in short.

My kydex holsters tend to break on the front face (the top of the slide is under that face, but usually not contacting it). They start forming a stress crease then begin to "tear". This is from the torque that is created when you have a holster that is very close to the body and you do not draw the gun straight up (I never draw the gun straight up. Unnecessary shoulder bending movement that does not aid my draw and punching out. However, I see many IDPA and NRA-trained people draw straight up. Everyone shoots differently.).

This problem can be solved by offsetting the holster and dropping it, such that I do not have to push my shoulder straight up and back in order not to cause that kind of stress on my holster/holster attachment point on my belt.

However, in emergencies and in competition, I want the most efficient cost-effective draw. The cost being time and movement. That is NOT done by drawing the gun "straight up" from the holster, causing the shoulder to rise and the upper arm to go behind the body. Again, I'm not here to start a debate about what kind of draw anyone has and what is the right method, I don't care how you draw your gun. This is just for myself and others who use the same method I do.

Some competitors with 1911's do use leather holsters. I have also met Open-division competitors in IPSC/USPSA that use leather holsters. However, they are few and far between. The majority of leather holsters I come into contact with are from CHL holders. In that case it is about even in numbers with kydex and leather. In Texas, I see a lot of leather.

Hope that helps.
Shoot more, worry less.

s64woody

Post by s64woody » 08 Dec 2011, 22:36

Zhurdan Thanks for the input. I had been scheming quietly for the last few days and had just about settled on that approach. I figure that the pistol will look pretty strange when the Kydex gets close to it, what with various fillers and additions to allow clearance for different things.

I live in the Pacific North West, and can carry most of the year with a shoulder holster, but will be working on IWB as well. Flexibility is a good thing. It will be interesting to see just how compact and durable I can get these things. Kydex is cheap enough that you can experiment without breaking the bank.

woody

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 09 Dec 2011, 13:46

I sent my Viridian C5L to Elite to have them make me a LH holster for my FsN.

They have my Five SeveN slide too, I'm also getting night sights installed. Can't wait to get it back!