It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: SCAR 17s Optic thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:32 pm 

I'm trying to decide what optic to buy for the SCAR 17s I'll be treating myself to after this deployment, at the moment I'm heavily considering the Vortex Razor 1-4x24 with the CQMR-1 reticle (not the one that looks like it belongs on something from HALO). And to my recent knowledge opticsplanet offers full refunds on lost packages, the reason that is rather important is I will be having it shipped here (Afghanistan), Vortex has a great warranty by the way.

http://www.vortextactical.com/product/v ... le/reticle

Repair or replace your Vortex product for any reason at NO CHARGE TO YOU. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it.
•Unlimited lifetime Warranty
•Fully transferable
•No warranty card to fill out
•No receipt needed to hang on to

I've read somewhere (can't recall at this time) that the SCAR 17s has a lot of recoil in the upper receiver that causes some reputable optics to lose their zero (I believe I saw ACOG in there), I could be wrong, I really don't remember.

Let me know what you think, input is always valued.

*edit: Also taking input on what color to get, thinking FDE to match the FNP45 Tactical I don't have yet, but could work either way because those come in black too :wall: *

Post subject: Re: SCAR 17s Optic thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm 

Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory
Hope you make it through your deployment safely, don't forget to remove the fingernail clippers from your pocket on the charter flight home, don't want TSA throwing you into the re-education camp...er... jail.

I'm doing the same thing, leaving for deployment this June, be gone the rest of the year. Before I leave, I'm picking up a SCAR 17 and putting in the Form 1 paperwork for the SBR, and for a Gemtech Sandstorm, when I come home, I'm going have a suppressed 17-CQC waiting for me. :)
My optic of choice is none other than this....

f you don't feel like dropping more than the cost of the SCAR itself on the optic, it might not be for you, but for me, its just too bad-azz to not to have on a 7.62 SCAR. Plus it comes with a match 7.62 reticle, integrated adjustable red-dot, and 6x power for the additional range the 308 demands over the 5.56.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:23 pm 
Global Moderator

Sorry Aug, really cant help you. I just got my 1st 308 & I have even shot it yet.

SeaHawk - where did you get a Specter DR? I have been looking for one & they are never in stock. Can't even backorder one :wall: :wall:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:29 pm 

Didn't say I had one, only that its what i'm going to put on the SCAR. They might be hard to come by right now. I order all my optics from Botach Tacitcal, prices are unbeatable, although service blows.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:00 am 

I've heard some really bad things about the Elcan, we have one here. I can't remember exactly what was said, something about eye relief, parallax, exit pupil, the mounts, he wrote a small book on it pretty much. Not to turn you off of it, I just thought I'd tell you.
He is a credible source on that type of stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:21 am 
Gold Member

Mtn Man in Flatland

I have never heard one bad thing about Elcan's, and ACOG makes optics for 7.62 autos that I have personally used and liked, so no worries there. The only SpecterDR I have used is the 1-4x with the 5.56 reticle. It was nothing short of amazing in low light shooting and had the best optics of a tactical sight I have ever seen. Have not use the 6x version that seahawk has posted, but I have team guy friends that are using it and they told me there is no comparison.

Also, if you are worried about eye relief, that Vortex will be worse than the Elcan for sure simply due to its objective size.

To put it bluntly, there is nothing better on the market for a variable power tactical scope than the SpecterDR. Nothing. I would love to see exactly what your source had to say about it. Possible that he was speaking of their earlier scopes commonly used on 240B an 249s. Those in fact had several issues in relation to eye relief and low light shooting. Elcan designed the SpecterDR to address those issues.

On a final note, my brother had a hard time taking back his personally owned SpecterDR from his last deployment. Luckily his S-4 wrote a note to cover for him with customs. I had to DHL my EOTech's and extra mags back from Iraq when I was deployed in 06-07. APO over there would not ship it back for me. Just an FYI.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:59 pm 

What he said about it was way above my head, but I can attest to the horrible eye relief on the 145. We have 2 new 7.62 ACOGs that have been collecting dust for 10 months now. Had one for an hour before the XO took it back, said the field of view was too narrow...

Unfortunately the XO hasnt carried anything with the 145 on it(or fired it), other wise he would know getting the proper eye relief to get a wide FOV is nearly impossible in gear. Despite his arguement the ACOG imo had better FOV, clearer sight picture and more light, in short, it was heaven atop my MK48.

I ordered the Vortex with Larue rings 1.5". I'm planning on getting an ACOG when I get back after I sell my AR. If you know anyone with a used one let me know.

now im angry about the ACOG :wall:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:11 pm 

Have you looked into the 6-48x ACOG MGO 7.62 with an RMR mounted on top? Would be my second choice, and is comparably priced. Its a big scope, but the SCAR is a big gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:18 pm 

I did, and that was my concern. Arent those 6x48 ACOGs more for machine guns? lol
yall have me thinking about the Elcan now. The only person that has one is leaving for jaf tomorrow though, so I wont get time with it for a bit. I dont really like hte mounting system on them though, or the fact that the whole scope gets adjusted not just the reticle.

mm i might have to cancel that order lol. I really like the reticle and the switch lever. I hate my spending habbits while deployed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:26 pm 

I've played with a couple of the ELCAN DRs and while they are amazingly well built, tank like, you do pay for that durability with extra weight.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:36 pm 

Weight isnt going to be an issue, but I'm still a bit skeptical...
With the price tag im wondering if a 4x32 ACOG wouldnt be a bad choice.
I'd go 5.5x but they seem kinda funky looking and looks are 70% of the battle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:45 pm 

This is still a fantastic option IMHO. If its not for you, its not for you, but this is what I plan to put on top of my AUG-Heavy Barrel project in 5.56.

Image :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:51 am 

I love augs (you probably didnt notice by the username)
do you have any more pics? and about how much are the HBs? or do you buy a separate barrel?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:53 am 

I haven't started the project yet, and probably won't for some time, I have too many others in line ahead of it. I just have an A3 sitting n the back of the gun safe I picked up for around $2000 when they first showed up at dealers. Right now you can only buy the 20" barrel off Steyr; but I'd like to have a 24" fabricated with a lighweight bipod on the barrel . Would really like to see a drum-mag offered for the AUG some how, as the HBAR version is supposed to be a light support weapon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:57 pm 

J3L

I've got a 4x ACOG chambered in 5.56 from my last build. I'm now looking to trade for a similar in .308 for my SCAR. It's caused me to look at the Elcan DRs for the sole reason that it would eleminate the need to buy an additional RMR for 1x shooting.
But I've never operated a weapon with an Elcan optic.
I'm concerned that I will spend the coin on it and wish it was a Trijicon.
Anyone done any comparison testing?
I have read that the Elcans don't hold zero when alternating magnification.
Video Games Lie!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:08 pm 
Global Moderator

Mens Room Attendant

IF I could every afford the SCAR-H and scope combo, then it would have to be the ACOG 4X32 TRI-TA01B.
That would be my dream combination.
And yes, I would SBR the rifle as soon as I could.

**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:44 pm 

Here is what I am looking at for my 308 to come.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/prod ... tegoryID=5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:06 pm 

Cyberfly wrote:
IF I could every afford the SCAR-H and scope combo, then it would have to be the ACOG 4X32 TRI-TA01B.
That would be my dream combination.
And yes, I would SBR the rifle as soon as I could.

Fly, I keep thinking I want to SBR my SCAR's as well. I think CQC-model barrels will eventually be available from the factory and you can swap the shorty barrels in and out when needed. However, I have this paranoid "fear of govenment", that when the libs do finally get another Bill in place, the first thing they're going to do is come knocking for all the registered SBR's out there. Might not be a good idea to SBR the bulk of your guns; its really the only active list of people who own guns out there right now. :ponder: Even though I like the ability to legally own a short barrel version.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:07 am 
Global Moderator

Mens Room Attendant

Even if they 'do' outlaw them, they'll have to grandfather the existing ones.
Otherwise, they would have scooped up all of the existing MG's that were out there in 1986, dontchathink?

**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:31 am 
Gold Member

Mtn Man in Flatland

FYI there is a 1-4x Elcan SpectreDR with the 7.62 reticle on Gunbroker for under 1700 bucks buy it now.

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next