Looking for EOTWAWKI Zombie Survival Blade

Discuss the one tool no person should be without - a good knife!
Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Looking for EOTWAWKI Zombie Survival Blade

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 09:11

After watching the Book of Eli, I realize that I don't really have a large fixed blade survival knife/sword/machete. I think I need one. I would prefer either an El Salvador or Bolo style machete or a straight blade katana/ninja style. It needs to be tough and practical without costing a fortune. Ideally, I'd like to spend under 400 bucks. I also want a U.S. made blade, although blades from places like Japan, Germany, and Switzerland would be OK too.

I really don't need the blade to be "ornate" or "dressed up." I prefer is was not because I don't want to pay extra for that.

I saw an ad or an article for a U.S. made katana style survival blade (sword?) that was really impressive. The only problem is, I can't remember where I saw it, or what the blade was called. I remember seeing either pictures or video of a guy bending the blade over in a vice to like 90 degrees and seeing it return to its normal shape. There were also tests where the guy was hacking up objects that I thought would harm the blade but it didn't. I remember thinking "I want one of those." I also remember the price being between 300 and 400 dollars. Does this ring any bells for anyone???

I have searched thorugh every gun magazine, Field and Stream, and Popular Mechanics I have. I was sure it was in one of those... but I can't find it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have looked at these, but they are not quite the quality of the one I really like:

Condor Machetes
Cold Steel Katana
Ontario Black Wind Katana - Discontinued
Ontario Machetes

Mike

ddouglas
Gold Member

Re: Looking for EOTWAWKI Zombie Survival Blade

Post by ddouglas » 21 Jan 2010, 09:56

Go to Ace Hardware and buy one. You can use it to whack weeds, too. If you cannot find one at your local Ace, send me $300 and I'll buy one for you and send it to you, with free postage thrown in just because I'm a nice guy.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 10:13

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find the one I want at ACE. I appreciate the offer however :skep:

Mike

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 21 Jan 2010, 11:01

http://zombietools.net/ ???

Personally.....I like my sugarcane knives, 2 for $10 :laugh:

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 21 Jan 2010, 11:04

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1460" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old school. Great for splitting skulls, and chopping limbs.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 12:26

Thanks for the links guys. There are some very cool blades on both of those sites. Keep them coming.

I am finding that I prefer the katana/ninja style swords with straight blades and tanto points.

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 12:47

I thought I may have found the "one" until I discovered that these are all made in China. They look like high quality blades however.

Cheness

I know the one I saw in the ad or article was U.S. made and of similar quality to the Cheness blades.

Mike

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 21 Jan 2010, 14:02

These folks have some nice pre-owned edged weapons....the variety is interesting

http://www.antiqueswords.com/Topic%20Pa ... eapons.htm

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 21 Jan 2010, 20:25

I got a Gerber machete from some site for like $30 a long time ago. It's got a nice saw edge on the spine, should do me nicely when the zombies attack.
Embrace the Suck

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 20:56

How do you like the Gerber? I was worried it might be a little too light. I was looking for a blade that is at least 1/8" thick. I thought the extra heft would help get the zombie heads off. If the heads dangle but don't come off, the zombies still come after you... right? :p

Mike

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 22 Jan 2010, 02:38

Have you considered the Woodman's Pal options?

http://www.woodmanspal.com/products.html

The 17" is a bit short...but they make a 22" and there are some great pre-owned military models available...

And again...vintage sugarcane knives are plentiful at southern flea-markets for under $10...

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 22 Jan 2010, 08:33

I like the Woodsman's Pals, and I think they are ideally suited to what they were designed for; chopping brush and light hatchet work. I don't think they are ideally suited to zombie slaying. I would like a blade that can wound even if it grazes, and a point that can be driven through. I would like more reach as well. You want to stay out of that arms length reach of a zombie. I think a Katana/Ninja style with a heavy (3/16") blade can clear brush and do light chopping when needed, but would excel if the zombies came for me. Also, I would look sharp carrying a Katana when I wear my special Ninja boots that allow me to climb walls. :lmao:

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 22 Jan 2010, 23:09

I am wondering if I saw portions of these videos. I will have to research if these Cold Steel blades are US made.

Cold Steel Warrior Series Katanas
Cold Steel Imperial Series Katanas

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 24 Jan 2010, 20:09

I bought a Gerber Gator Machete at Sportsman's Warehouse this weekend. I tried to put a decent edge on the thing. I am not very impressed. The blade is too thin and there is not enough "heft" to it. I think I am going to try a machete from Cold Steel or Ontario next. I am also trying to buy one of each of the Ontario Black Wind swords that are discontinued. So far, I have had no luck.

I guess I'll aproach this like everything else I do. I'll keep buying stuff until I find what I like. That gets expensive after awhile.

By the way, the Cold Steel swords are also made in China. I am convinced that those are the videos I remember seeing, so I guess I was wrong about them being U.S. made blades. The Ontario swords are U.S. made if I can find them.

Mike

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 25 Jan 2010, 07:47

I thought Cold Steel made all their own stuff? I know they make their own machetes. They have a video up on Youtube that shows them going through the manufacturing process and them testing them throughout, but I thought they made ALL their own blades.
Hmm. You know what they say about assumption, eh. :ponder:
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 26 Jan 2010, 19:23

in my opinion a roman style short sword would kick butt. Keep the good times rolling no matter which way you swing... or something of a double edged influence.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Jan 2010, 19:49

If your going to wack and stack Zombies with an edged weapon you gotta go Japanese,

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 26 Jan 2010, 20:11

Hattori Hanso has good Japanese steel...

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 27 Jan 2010, 09:51

Well, I found the one I'd buy if I had unlimited funds:

Kanetsune - Mai

Unfortunately, I doubt I can gain support from my spouse to spend in excess of 1,000 bucks on a sword.

I can still drool.

Here is an ended auction on GunBroker for one of these. It has some nice up close photos.

Kanetsune Mai Auction

Mike

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 27 Jan 2010, 10:26

The katanas are pretty, but are designed very specific in their function. I still prefer something with more heft to it, like the machete or roman short sword, has more functionality in more situations and the extra weight gives you more momentum with each swing to really go through bone, wood, etc.