MILITARY BUCKSHOT AMMO

The section for big boomers.
eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

MILITARY BUCKSHOT AMMO

Post by eagleshotz » 07 Sep 2008, 06:08

Awhile back I posted a thread saying I had come upon some of this ammo and picked up a couple boxes. I remember not to many in this forum were impressed. I did more research on it and look what others had to say. I am not a ammo expert, so I dont no if these people are accurate or not. I rather have people in this forum reply back as I no and trust here more. :thumb:

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=251363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Re: MILITARY BUCKSHOT AMMO

Post by murphies_finest » 08 Sep 2008, 20:37

hmm when we did aha inventory when I got to afragistan a few months back we had 12 gauge ammo but it was all civilian ammo.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

eagleshotz

Post by eagleshotz » 09 Sep 2008, 16:48

murphies_finest wrote:hmm when we did aha inventory when I got to afragistan a few months back we had 12 gauge ammo but it was all civilian ammo.
Hmmm, murphies. Thanks for the information. :cool:

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 09 Sep 2008, 16:53

Someone over there was unimpressed with a 24" group at 25 yards? It was designed to clear rooms, not take out doves. Moron. If it's cheap and dependable, go for it. Do some range tests and report back?
Embrace the Suck

eagleshotz

Post by eagleshotz » 09 Sep 2008, 17:21

:lmao: Roger that Slippy! :D

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 10 Sep 2008, 06:28

It is ar15.com after all, Slippy. :laugh:
كاف

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 10 Sep 2008, 14:45

I think the reason people don't want to shoot it through their personal weapons is because the shot is lead and not coated. Lead is tough to clean from barrels.
For me anyway.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 10 Sep 2008, 18:53

thats why I use "Hoppes #9" lol im not just a user but also a member :lmao:
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 10 Sep 2008, 19:04

Eeeewwww....bad. Really bad.
Now if you had said, "I bought the company...or, I'm also the president!" I'd have to find a throwing rotten tomatoes smiley JUST FOR YOU!
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

556Stealth
Banned

Post by 556Stealth » 28 Mar 2009, 11:41

Using a "Tornado" bore-brush will kill lead FAST in a shotgun barrel.

I found that for me, the OOO Remington 3" Buckshot was the star performer out of anything MOD or less. It would keep 70-90% of the pellets on target (12"x14") out to about 45 yards. I was using a Benelli M4 and a Trulock MOD choke, the stock Benelli MOD choke performed about the same.

Second to that, the 2-3/4" Winchester XX Premium 12-pelled Copper-plated/buffered OO was very good as well.

I tried Hornady TAP which uses a wad VERY similar to the "FLight Control" wad. It sucked in anything but IC choke, and in IC it would punch fist-size groups out to 15y, then at 20-25y some would be off the paper, at 40, 2-3 pellets hit. Horrible. I never tried the real-deal Flight control.

Also, I like the OOO Buck a lot. LOTS. Buckshot has HORRID penetration and the OOO buck improved it somewhat. It was the only size that would make it through the metal car-door I tested it on. The only size to go through a 2x6 as well unless you were close enough for hte pellets to "stack".

I have since moved on from shotguns, but did a lot of research and testing of my own when I was into them.

To the OP: Military buckshot is reportedly crap. I never spent the $1 per round to be able to say that myself, however.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 28 Mar 2009, 12:58

murphies_finest wrote:hmm when we did aha inventory when I got to afragistan a few months back we had 12 gauge ammo but it was all civilian ammo.
Yep. We used Hornady TAP in my unit, 00 Buck. Same bright red shells you can get from your local gun shop.

Worked great. No need for 000 buck in my opinion.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 28 Mar 2009, 13:05

flyingirish04 wrote:
Yep. We used Hornady TAP in my unit, 00 Buck. Same bright red shells you can get from your local gun shop.

Worked great. No need for 000 buck in my opinion.
*Sigh* I never got the buckshot rounds for my 203 that I asked my supply guy for every time I saw him. We only used shotguns inside the detention facility, but I wanted the shotgun rounds for my nade launcher for knock-n-talks.
Embrace the Suck

oregunbob

Post by oregunbob » 28 Mar 2009, 13:10

I have a Gunsite customized (Ted Yost) Remington 870 that patterns most buck at 14-16" @ 25 yards.... and Federal Reduced Recoil 12 ga at 10."

With the Ghost Ring Sites you put all your pellets in the upper thorasic at 30+ yards. One of my better customizing decisions.. you can really see the differnce of back boring the barrel.

Back on subject... when I was over in 2005 we had Winchester. I'll be back this late this spring, so we will see then.

556Stealth
Banned

Post by 556Stealth » 28 Mar 2009, 13:28

oregunbob wrote:I have a Gunsite customized (Ted Yost) Remington 870 that patterns most buck at 14-16" @ 25 yards.... and Federal Reduced Recoil 12 ga at 10."

With the Ghost Ring Sites you put all your pellets in the upper thorasic at 30+ yards. One of my better customizing decisions.. you can really see the differnce of back boring the barrel.

Back on subject... when I was over in 2005 we had Winchester. I'll be back this late this spring, so we will see then.
That is equal to what I experienced using a good load in my M4 and a mod choke. Using a specialized choke by Primos, I was getting 40-50% patterns with 3" OO Remington buckshot at 50 yards on 14x16 targets.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 28 Mar 2009, 13:40

I can see that slippy. I would carry the 870 for the same reason. I would always bring my M-4, but I would always make sure one guy had the shortened 870 that we scammed from the division armorer. Sometimes I would carry it for the Face to faces with new contacts. Didn't have a need for it past that. Personally, I think the M-4 is perfect for all things past 25 meters, hell, maybe past 10. Only used the shottie for CQB situations, which like I said before, there is no need for anything other than 00 buck. Sometimes carried breaching rounds, but never had a need for using them. 00 did the trick.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 28 Mar 2009, 13:46

I got to fire all of these except the buckshot.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/a ... tion.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried like hell to get the CS/Practice rounds for our HMWV gunners. My idea was to hit the windsheilds of people who were driving too close with the blue training rounds, or put a CS round into their car. Then they'd just pull over if they ever saw us again.
Embrace the Suck

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 28 Mar 2009, 13:58

You didn't use spongebobs for warning shots? We sure as hell did. Used all those rounds in FAM fires except the buckshot as well. Never have even seen a 203 buckshot round.