New to internet sales

Post firearms for sale or want to buy requests.
Forum rules
1. Prices MUST be listed. No "make offer" ads.

2. No links to auction sites.

3. List your location in either the title, thread content or your profile.

4. Dealers must subscribe or email me at webmaster@fivesevenforum.com to discuss options.

5. You must have a minimum of 50 posts on this board to post WTS advertisements, or have a paid membership. Insignificant posts and smilies do not count.

6. Do not bump your ad unless it is no longer visible on the 1st page.

Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me.
BIGCAP

New to internet sales

Post by BIGCAP » 08 Mar 2009, 19:00

Ok I have never sold anything through an internet sale before. I know some of you out there are experts and I was hoping you could give me a rundown on how to sell a firearm to someone over the internet. Usually if I sell a firearm it is to someone face to face so the changing of money or trade is not an issue. How do you sell and pay unless it is by blind faith in the individual? If I know the person it is not an issue but on the net sometimes you just dont know. Any info or experiences on how to do this or how not to do this would be helpful. I am planning on listing a firearm or two for sale in the next week or so here on the Forum so anything would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Bigcap

Wollychop

Re: New to internet sales

Post by Wollychop » 08 Mar 2009, 19:30

Selling is no big deal. Require payment up front and a copy of the destination FFL sent to your dealer (faxed is easiest). Once your dealer has the FFL and you have been paid, its easy; your dealer mails to his dealer. There is no risk to you since you are not shipping until you have been paid and you are shipping to a dealer.

I think BUYING from an individual online takes a lot more faith. There are certain protections on gunbroker, but through a forum I think getting references and a "warm fuzzy" is a must. That's one of the reasons we set up the user feedback section.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 08 Mar 2009, 20:12

Thanks for the info Wooly. Is it wrong then to take payment directly from an individual and then mail the firearm directly to the person? Or is it just safer to go through a dealer?

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 08 Mar 2009, 20:16

IIRC you can't mail directly to the individual. Someone knows the laws better than me, but I thought one could ship the firearm to the individuals FFL.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 08 Mar 2009, 20:22

That would be easier and eliminate one of the dealer fees involved if that were possible.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 08 Mar 2009, 20:29

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 08 Mar 2009, 20:48

Ok. That makes sense. So I need to use UPS, FEDEX or the like for handguns in state and no dealer required or again UPS or FEDEX to a dealer out of state. Thanks for the info Buffman.

gotants

Post by gotants » 09 Mar 2009, 04:40

Because of laws on age requirements to purchase, I would also demand a copy of a Drivers License (or similar state/fed ID) and demand having a signature upon receiving said purchase.

Ya know the ole saying....
CYA

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Mar 2009, 05:13

"Warm Fuzzy"? Is that when you throw Fuzzy in the microwave for a few turns? :D
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 09 Mar 2009, 05:36

flyingirish04 wrote:"Warm Fuzzy"? Is that when you throw Fuzzy in the microwave for a few turns? :D

:lmao:

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 09 Mar 2009, 07:56

The buyer should always pay with a USPS Money Order. Then you have recourse if the seller backs out of the deal.

As far as FFL's go. If the buyer and seller reside in the same state, no FFL is needed. If it is an inter state transfer the seller must ship to an FFL in the buyers state of residence.

You can ship to the buyer's FFL directly, or have your FFL ship it for you.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 09 Mar 2009, 09:16

flyingirish04 wrote:"Warm Fuzzy"? Is that when you throw Fuzzy in the microwave for a few turns? :D
HAHAHA

lmmmmm

Post by lmmmmm » 09 Mar 2009, 11:00

if you ship yourself to an FFL, make sure that FFL accepts transfers from a private party.

Some FFL's only accept from another FFL.

5Jeffro7

Post by 5Jeffro7 » 09 Mar 2009, 11:11

lmmmmm wrote:if you ship yourself to an FFL, make sure that FFL accepts transfers from a private party.

Some FFL's only accept from another FFL.
if you ship yourself to an FFL, make sure you package yourself in crush-proof packaging, leave ventilation holes, pack food/water & wear attends/depends :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

wetwrks

Post by wetwrks » 09 Mar 2009, 14:30

UPS requires firearms to be shipped to an FFL via overnight delivery and must have an adult signature from the receiving FFL.

lmmmmm

Post by lmmmmm » 09 Mar 2009, 15:45

wetwrks wrote:UPS requires firearms to be shipped to an FFL via overnight delivery and must have an adult signature from the receiving FFL.
and use the smallest box possible. otherwise you will be paying for the expected weight on the size of your box. Overnight cost calculation is based more on size than weight and distance. If you put a 1lb item in a very large box they will 'add' weight to your cost due to the size of the box taking up precious cargo hold space.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 09 Mar 2009, 16:10

I've been told that while the site states that (UPS and FedEx) many have shipped through UPS or Fedex slower than overnight shipping without an issue.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 09 Mar 2009, 18:26

Thank you everyone. This is all great information. I appreciate everyones input.

Captain Dock

Post by Captain Dock » 09 Mar 2009, 18:53

Many gunsmiths have their guns sent to them marked machine parts to eliminate the hassle factor. According to the BATFE website you can also ship a gun to "yourself" like for a hunting trip, wink wink.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 09 Mar 2009, 20:53

Medula Oblongata wrote:Wink wink... go to jail...

Not a winning combination.

Yeah mislabeling packages is a big no no. I'm not sure how serious of a crime it is to do across states, but doing it across international borders is a felony offense. That's the reason I had the FBI visit me a few years ago. The Douche bag from Canada mislabeled the package, and mis valued it to, to pay less tax on it or whatever. I had to prove to them I didn't tell him to mislabel it. It didn't help the package contained the main ingredient for Flash powder :) They were cool about it. ATF didn't pay me a visit, but the local police did and advised me not to be making anymore of what I was making :)